Congrats to the Class of 2018!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Congrats to the Class of 2018!

Unread post by ace »

I love a graduation, and this class of URI basketball players is very special. They accomplished things new for the program and took care of it in the classroom, as well. Congratulations EC, Jared, Jarvis, Andre, and Stan!
7 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: Congrats to the Class of 2018!

Unread post by ace »

2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Congratulations graduates. May your experience at URI lead to a bright future.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Go away, Tripp.
7 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Dan was on campus today to see the seniors graduate.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

There’s a group picture that’s fantastic- players, former coach, current staff, family members. I love this part of college basketball.
Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Where is the picture?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

eli#10 wrote:Where is the picture?
I saw it in a text. Hopefully it shows up somewhere on social media.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

other pictures are on TJ’s twitter which is locked so you can’t copy the link or retweet.

1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Awesome day for all! Congrats!
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice pics congrats to the graduates
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Classy move by Dan coming back for gradation so soon after leaving here.

He didn't owe that to anyone, but made the time to come.

I wonder how he felt walking back into The Ryan Center no longer the coach here...
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Dan looks a little uneasy in the picture. I am sure he was glad to be at the event. Maybe uneasy with anyone outside the team.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody83 wrote:other pictures are on TJ’s twitter which is locked so you can’t copy the link or retweet.

For some reason I'm blocked from seeing Dave Cotter's tweets. I have no idea why he blocked me. I really don't know who he is or how he's related to URI. (which also shows a flaw - I can see his tweet that R83 posted here, but I can't view his twitter account - if I'm blocked I shouldn't see it here either). In any case, I don't care that much other than it would be nice to know why he blocked me and if he's posting URI basketball stuff, I want to see it.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:Dan looks a little uneasy in the picture. I am sure he was glad to be at the event. Maybe uneasy with anyone outside the team.
It is a little bit of an awkward situation, obviously (on a number of levels), even though at the end of the day this was important enough to him on a personal level to accept that awkwardness - to his absolute credit.

Also, have to wonder if he was anticipating being in any photos - have to think he may have gone with a different shirt if he was.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Huge credit for him showing, class move. Not shocking, his loyalty to his kids has never been in question.
He needs to find a wardrobe befitting someone who makes 2.5MM a year, or risk becoming the Duck Dynasty of the .1% club. :)
1 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Please, he is rocking that Dad Plaid. Looking great, Dan!
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Definitely a class act by Dan to come to graduation.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

steviep123 wrote:Definitely a class act by Dan to come to graduation.
Screw him.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
steviep123 wrote:Definitely a class act by Dan to come to graduation.
Screw him.
Haha

It's a little strange to me that he attended and I'm not sure I'd call it classy, but whatever, it's good for the guys to know he loves them independent of his professional moves, he loves them so much he's willing to be in an awkward position to celebrate their accomplishments. So for the sake of honoring the efforts of this amazing senior class of ballers I'm glad DH made it, however, he's now working for the enemy so I hope he felt a cold chill when he entered the Ryan.

This thread, I believe is for the grads though and not DH. So to the class of 2018 THANK YOU!!!! You have all given us something that can't be measured and that will never be forgotten by Rhody faithful! For all I hope fruitful and happy lives!
3 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I sincerely hope that Dan gets UConn to always be better than Boston College, providence, Vermont, and Northeastern as the perennial 2nd best team in New England......
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

He looks soooo happy!!!!!
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote:Huge credit for him showing, class move. Not shocking, his loyalty to his kids has never been in question.
He needs to find a wardrobe befitting someone who makes 2.5MM a year, or risk becoming the Duck Dynasty of the .1% club. :)
I am in the middle on this. I don’t give him huge credit. Dan showed up because he wanted to and it made him feel good. He didn’t “leave” any of those guys. He was with them for all their years at URI. I am sure going into the RC was a little uncomfortable. I believe he was comfortable around all the players and coaches. Taking a picture was the most uncomfortable part. There is also a picture with all the families including Dan’s two sons.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think it's cool that DH showed for the graduation. I think it was a nice gesture
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I think it was a commitment that Dan made to EC, Jared and Jarvis. He fulfilled his commitment to them. They are 3 of the 4 recruits that Dan built the program around (Hass being the 4th). Let’s not forget, without them Dan doesn’t get the UCONN job and $2-3 million per year.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I think it’s kind of a shame that there was nothing about graduation or anything to honor the 5 graduates on any of the team’s official social media accounts. Seton Hall is one of the basketball programs I follow on Twitter, and they had such a nice set of pictures and tweets. It seems like the kind of thing you would want on the official accounts for recruits’ families to see, as well as your own players and fans.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote:I think it’s kind of a shame that there was nothing about graduation or anything to honor the 5 graduates on any of the team’s official social media accounts. Seton Hall is one of the basketball programs I follow on Twitter, and they had such a nice set of pictures and tweets. It seems like the kind of thing you would want on the official accounts for recruits’ families to see, as well as your own players and fans.
Unfortunately, social media (and the athletics website in general) have never been a strong suit for the URI athletics department. I'm sure it's mostly a staffing issue as much as anything else, but it's definitely an area where we are lacking.
1 x
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

Unfortunately, social media (and the athletics website in general) have never been a strong suit for the URI athletics department. I'm sure it's mostly a staffing issue as much as anything else, but it's definitely an area where we are lacking.[/quote]

amen
0 x
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

adam914 wrote:
ace wrote:I think it’s kind of a shame that there was nothing about graduation or anything to honor the 5 graduates on any of the team’s official social media accounts. Seton Hall is one of the basketball programs I follow on Twitter, and they had such a nice set of pictures and tweets. It seems like the kind of thing you would want on the official accounts for recruits’ families to see, as well as your own players and fans.
Unfortunately, social media (and the athletics website in general) have never been a strong suit for the URI athletics department. I'm sure it's mostly a staffing issue as much as anything else, but it's definitely an area where we are lacking.
Unfortunately, this is so true.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Its not like they dont have a campus full of people who have grown up with social media and could put up a nice website/run a twitter feed for what would cost next to nothing......
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhodyram wrote:Its not like they dont have a campus full of people who have grown up with social media and could put up a nice website/run a twitter feed for what would cost next to nothing......
They do have student interns that help out with these things. For the website, its not quite that simple. There are digital media rights agreements in place that would prevent them from just building a new website, but those interns certainly can (and I am sure do) help with the content for the site. I would imagine during the summer it is tougher to pull off.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

We are bad at honoring athletes from the day they stop playing at URI - its a major flaw. This is just another sign of that.
As is the lack of names in the rafters, failing to honor the 98 team in their 20th anniversary year, failure to keep in contact and engaged with prior players, etc. It's a huge miss.
5 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I know Coach Cox likes the concept of names in the rafters and not retiring numbers....
.....he told me that over the past few years some recruits wanted number 3 and were disappointed they couldn't have it....

....I believe he will value past Ram players and coaches and do some outreach to them....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Sorry no 3 ain’t coming down.

The shot heard round the world must never be
Forgotten

Agree huge with BAR tho....
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I do feel like you can put a guy up in the rafters without taking his number out of circulation. I don't really think those two things have to be connected, although admittedly this isn't the biggest deal to me either way.
1 x