David Cox Coach's Show

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steviep123
Sly Williams

David Cox Coach's Show

Unread post by steviep123 »

The first coach's show of the David Cox era is next Wednesday May 2nd at 6pm at Dan's Carriage Inn:

Last edited by steviep123 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: First David Cox Coach's Show - Wed May 2nd

Unread post by DC_Rams »

....nice.
Last edited by DC_Rams 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Probably autocorrect.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
steviep123
Sly Williams

DC_Rams wrote:
steviep123 wrote:The first coach's show of the David Cox error is next Wednesday May 2nd at 6pm at Dan's Carriage Inn:

David Cox error? Wtf? Typo?
Definitely a typo, which I fixed. Thanks for pointing it out! :o :o :o
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Stevie,

I deleted my previous message, feel free to edit yours
Last edited by DC_Rams 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Looks like Dan has been busy buying restaurants around South County.......ha ha kidding
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow an off season show nice !!
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

DC_Rams wrote:Stevie,

I deleted my previous message, feel free to edit yours
Nah, it's all good....as long as people know it was a genuine typo and I wasn't being some passive-aggressive nitwit :lol:
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

Bump - this is tomorrow night!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Awesome. Looking forward to it! (Bruins puck drop is 7:15, so I hope Coach Cox only talks for an hour.) :)
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I'm planning on making it there!
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

rambone 78 wrote:Looks like Dan has been busy buying restaurants around South County.......ha ha kidding
Dan who?
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

I plan on being there.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Hurley Show wrote:I plan on being there.
Only if you change your name first lol
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Talked to Don Kaull today. He says that David will be out in the community more and be much more visible than Dan was. Also, Don loves the hiring of David.
5 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

DC_Rams wrote:
I have made multiple requests with no response. If someone with power reads this PM me. I am all in on Cox.
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Multiple requests? I haven’t received one and I’m certain I’m easy to find. PM me several ideas for your new name.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Please ask him about assistant coaches ...
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Talked to Don Kaull today. He says that David will be out in the community more and be much more visible than Dan was. Also, Don loves the hiring of David.
We'll see if that sticks. Dan was out in the community a good deal at first but that kept fading as he stayed.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Wish I could be there.
I hope someone will ask about the two open Ast positions. Wondering why the second Ast position hasn’t been filled.
It would be great if Coach gave an update on his plan for the 5th scholarship.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Talked to Don Kaull today. He says that David will be out in the community more and be much more visible than Dan was. Also, Don loves the hiring of David.
We'll see if that sticks. Dan was out in the community a good deal at first but that kept fading as he stayed.
Sort of. Really just this year the coaches show disappeared. URI might recognize that and put more appearances in the contract. Also Dan knew he was gone so why waste his time on the radio?
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Rhody83 wrote:Wish I could be there.
I hope someone will ask about the two open Ast positions. Wondering why the second Ast position hasn’t been filled.
It would be great if Coach gave an update on his plan for the 5th scholarship.
In regards to the 2nd assistant, has anyone heard Chris Holm's name mentioned in connection to the position?
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Matunuck wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:
I have made multiple requests with no response. If someone with power reads this PM me. I am all in on Cox.
 ! Message from: ATPTourFan
Hurley Show’s new user name is Matunuck
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Please post a link to the show if possible
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Show started for anyone that’s there?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great listen , Cox seems like a man with a plan !!
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Interesting point Coach Cox made about the returning bigs. He seems to be most excited about Tertsea of the
two mikes and Preston. Martin sounds like a Robinson Plus who can play 4 positions and Harris shooting 3's at 42%
is a match-up night mare :shock: , a true stretch 4.Once the new guys get up to speed Coach's problem is going to be
too much talent. A nice problem to have. Does anyone know if they have a trip planned for this summer?
They could really use the extra time with the freshmen.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

CHICO 78 wrote:Interesting point Coach Cox made about the returning bigs. He seems to be most excited about Tertsea of the
two mikes and Preston. Martin sounds like a Robinson Plus who can play 4 positions and Harris shooting 3's at 42%
is a match-up night mare :shock: , a true stretch 4.Once the new guys get up to speed Coach's problem is going to be
too much talent. A nice problem to have. Does anyone know if they have a trip planned for this summer?
Pretty sure they used their trip last summer when they went to the bahamas. Almost positive that you can only take a trip once every four years.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

sevegny7 wrote:
CHICO 78 wrote:Interesting point Coach Cox made about the returning bigs. He seems to be most excited about Tertsea of the
Pretty sure they used their trip last summer when they went to the bahamas. Almost positive that you can only take a trip once every four years.
That is correct. They do get 8 weeks to practice in the summer. The NCAA just increased the on court practice time from 2 hrs/week to 4 hrs/week. They also do strength & conditioning with Marshall the whole summer.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

With the program upgrades being made can URI please upgrade their radio announcers. Steve and Don need to be replaced.
Steve asks the same questions over and over. Most of it is cheerleading. He seems nervous and goes overboard. Did you know they had a large crowd at the show (: My favorite is his run on questions where he complements every player or every coach in the question. He usually finishes the question with his opinion/answer. It puts Cox in a awkward position if he doesn’t agree with Steve’s opinion. One run on question he started complementing Cox for his reputation as an Ast and by the end he was the greatest Ast in the country. Thorr - Think Big We Do!
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody83 wrote:With the program upgrades being made can URI please upgrade their radio announcers. Steve and Don need to be replaced.
Steve asks the same questions over and over. Most of it is cheerleading. He seems nervous and goes overboard. Did you know they had a large crowd at the show (: My favorite is his run on questions where he complements every player or every coach in the question. He usually finishes the question with his opinion/answer. It puts Cox in a awkward position if he doesn’t agree with Steve’s opinion. One run on question he started complementing Cox for his reputation as an Ast and by the end he was the greatest Ast in the country. Thorr - Think Big We Do!
Who would they replace them with?

I don't have a problem with them.
0 x
Rhody Blue
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody Blue »

Rhody83 wrote:With the program upgrades being made can URI please upgrade their radio announcers. Steve and Don need to be replaced.

I love Steve....very loyal , witty and very talented .... No change needed .
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Yeah 83, sorry, if you think there's any chance of replacing Steve and Don, not happening. Focus on something else.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I also found the comments about Tertsea interesting sounds like he is showing promise and may be in the mix ???
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The coach said this is a very important summer for some of our players to step up their games to be able to get those available minutes......think Tertsea and Layssard.....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ramulous wrote:The coach said this is a very important summer for some of our players to step up their games to be able to get those available minutes......think Tertsea and Layssard.....
I think he is just challenging them. Cox is going to push every player to get better. I am sure Dan did also.
They also look at the major strides Berry made to become a significant contributor last year (his 3rd year at URI).
Maybe one of these big guys can significantly improve and help off the bench.

Checkout the before & after for Tertsea from D Marshall.

1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Get Tertsea in the game, he’s the biggest player we’ve had since Will Martel +muscle. Don’t waste his size.
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice to see Mike T putting in work. Good to have lots of competition with the bigs
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Get Tertsea in the game, he’s the biggest player we’ve had since Will Martel +muscle. Don’t waste his size.
Size without skill isn’t much of a benefit. Let’s hope he improves the latter this summer.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Would love to see tertsea contribute, but what little time he spent on court this year he looked totally lost on both ends of the court
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Tertsea played 13 minutes all year with almost everyone on the court for both sides being end of the bench guys and walk-ons. I don't see how any accurate evaluation could be done in that scenario, good, bad, or indifferent. The lack of playing time is damning enough, no sense drawing any conclusions from the garbage time
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

My sense is that Hurley at times could have a very large dog house. Once you got in hard to get out. Not necessarily unusual that but the doghouse was def setup to accommodate some big players.

We got guys on the team last few years who could walk around Wakefield undetected.

Be interesting to see how Cox handles those players.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Rated as a three-star recruit by Scout.com, Rivals.com, and ESPN.com
247Sports.com has him ranked as the 35th-best center nationally and fourth-best in Maryland

Earned All-BCL honors after finishing his career at John Carroll as the school’s all-time second-leading rebounderS

I don’t get this?!? Consensus 3 star
2nd alltime rebounder? How did he do this based on what little we have seen.

What did they see in him when he played in H.S. , when they recruited him that’s missing now.
Did Carroll just play a zone and camp him under the basket? If you didn’t know better it’s like 2 different people. I just don’t understand this.
Dan put walk-on’s In before Mike!
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

To my eye [x players eyes please help] Hurley played three variations of his man defense while here.
.....The first was based on lack of manpower, More of a straight up man to man.
.....the second a funnel to the lane type, predicated by JT's, Jarvis and Hass's skills,
.....then with the rule change [touching] in 2015, he reverted back to a trapping perimeter type with out small bigs pushing the opponents rebounders away from the lane.

He was totally committed to man to man defenses, which required that the bigs be very mobile.....Tertsea's mobility gave him little playing time . I wanted to see him in a traditional zone. However, that was not Hurley' preference.
I think the lack of playing a zone hurt us late in the season. I doubt if they practiced much against it either. I don't know if Jared, Jarvis, or Jeff had any legs late in the season from playing so much man to man. Those guys worked so hard on defense.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

I agree with your take on this. My question is , based on Dans philosophy, why even sign the Mikes??? Clearly neither is agile enough for Dan’s system.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I guess he figured when Haas and KI would graduate, he need some bigs. However Langevine came along as well and can play man except for the fouling........I am thinking some of the incoming players might leapfrog into high minute roles.......It will be a fun season ahead rooting for the Rams.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Neither Big learned the rebounding and defensive skills in prep that Dan demands. Coaches figured they could teach them. It's been slow going.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Just one of the three from the group of Mike, Mike and Ryan need to step up and grab a role playing 15-18 minutes a game. My money is on Layssard.
0 x