All things Dan Hurley/UCONN THREAD

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: All things Dan Hurley/UCONN THREAD

Unread post by Rhody83 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I'd take that sked over what we have in a heartbeat...
Rhody’s OOC schedule last year was better than that imo.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Since a lot of Keaney Blue members still seem to have an interest in the great Dan Hurley, I thought I'd post a link to an article I came across online.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... im-calhoun

Some interesting quotes from Hurley re: URI. I especially like this one: "But my experience at Rhode Island, going from a barren, empty arena, completely irrelevant in the world of college basketball..." I mean geez, we certainly aren't Duke or Kentucky, but "completely irrelevant"?? Seems somewhat harsh considering we've had our moments throughout the years, albeit sporadic.

But this article reiterates that UCONN really is a dream job for Hurley. According to him, "the best college basketball brand in the country is in Storrs". LOL sorry...the words "best" and "Storrs" should never be in the same sentence. Ever.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice article the man with a plan has arrived in Storrs CT
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Completely irrelevant....he's the one who talked about what a great history we have when he first took the job.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Dan knows what the right answer is to each question. He is better at PR than he is coaching in-game. I think he is full of himself in his answer to the 2nd question. Too much BS for me.

DH: Anything you can do to enhance student-athletes’ experience in college is a great thing. I think these guys are given a great opportunity to get their education, to play Division I athletics, where playing Division I basketball is a completely different level of education, where maybe you can learn even more about yourself from competition and that type of an environment. But a lot of kids that come from the backgrounds that we get kids from, any way that we can make it more comfortable for them while they’re here, so that they’re able to live better, I think is a good thing.

SI: So it sounds like you’d be open to that.

DH: Yeah, obviously I would love to see the specific details. But my experience at Rhode Island, going from a barren, empty arena, completely irrelevant in the world of college basketball, to selling out the arena and becoming a social event in your state, to being the toast of the town, seeing how the university and whole feel of the place during the university, the whole pride the state had in the team, the crowds, the interest, the more URI shirts and hats—in a program that plays a certain way, carries themselves in a certain way, wins, has the crowds, they bring so much to the university. I’d love to see them to be able to benefit from their efforts beyond education.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

“I’ve been through this,” said Hurley, who was also pursued aggressively by Pittsburgh. “It’s almost like I have a manual.”

I think it'll be an interesting story to see how they do this year...
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Msybe some potential problems for UCONN.

SI: Some news came out recently about a meeting that was disclosed to the NCAA between a former UConn assistant and some of the people involved in the FBI scandal. There’s the other ongoing NCAA inquiry into the program. Does it affect recruiting?

DH: No, it hasn’t. It hasn’t at all. I asked the question during the process of getting here and I felt walking out of the meeting that whatever is decided isn’t gonna have a major impact on my job rebuilding this thing.

There are those questions and obviously that’s a conversation I’ll have with them, but I’m here, you know?

I left a top-25, top-30 program with a top-25 recruiting class coming in. If I thought it was gonna be a concern—I was in a pretty special place. Meeting with [athletic director] Dave Benedict and the president of the school, I felt good, because I asked those same questions.

He says that is a conversation he will have. I take that as in the future.
Then he felt good because he asked those questions. How about the answers - did you feel good about their answers?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:Msybe some potential problems for UCONN.

SI: Some news came out recently about a meeting that was disclosed to the NCAA between a former UConn assistant and some of the people involved in the FBI scandal. There’s the other ongoing NCAA inquiry into the program. Does it affect recruiting?

DH: No, it hasn’t. It hasn’t at all. I asked the question during the process of getting here and I felt walking out of the meeting that whatever is decided isn’t gonna have a major impact on my job rebuilding this thing.

There are those questions and obviously that’s a conversation I’ll have with them, but I’m here, you know?

I left a top-25, top-30 program with a top-25 recruiting class coming in. If I thought it was gonna be a concern—I was in a pretty special place. Meeting with [athletic director] Dave Benedict and the president of the school, I felt good, because I asked those same questions.

He says that is a conversation he will have. I take that as in the future.
Then he felt good because he asked those questions. How about the answers - did you feel good about their answers?

Some other potential problems for UConn?

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men ... story.html
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I found Hurley’s comments on the URI program he inherited to be fair and accurate. This was a program in decay when he got here.
6 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:“I’ve been through this,” said Hurley, who was also pursued aggressively by Pittsburgh. “It’s almost like I have a manual.”

I hope they fail miserably. Their obnoxious fans and that douchebag Calhoun deserve nothing less.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NJRhodyFan wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:“I’ve been through this,” said Hurley, who was also pursued aggressively by Pittsburgh. “It’s almost like I have a manual.”

I hope they fail miserably. Their obnoxious fans and that douchebag Calhoun deserve nothing less.
So...you think it'll be interesting, too, then? :lol: :lol:
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I agree, we did suck when he got here, and the program was a mess. But completely irrelevant is a little harsh, no?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

About 900 of those pages include transcripts of interviews between NCAA enforcement officials and former assistant coaches, players & families of players.

Last edited by Rhody83 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Content on alleged recruiting violations. GM is Glen Miller (glad Cox didn’t hire him). Ollie got rid of Miller which pissed off Calhoun and Miller. Miller throws Ollie and Ast Coach Chillious (glad we didn’t hire him) under the bus. Chillious had was the lead recruit at Washington for Markelle Fultz before he took the job at UCONN.

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

A key member of the NCAA investigation is former UConn coach Glen Miller, who was granted immunity for his testimony before NCAA investigators and he was a key figure in confirming many of the allegations. Miller had no comment when reached by The Courant Wednesday.

Why would Miller need immunity if nothing wrong was done? A loss of institutional control. Remember UCONN was penalized by the NCAA in 2012 for recruiting violations under Calhoun which led to Calhoun retiring and his handpicked replacement Ollie bring hired.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

It's been a soap opera since they fired Ollie, but the cluster of detail coming out now is making it quite an off season story to follow...
An interesting add to 83's post is that...Calhoun still works for UConn, while also the head coach at St. Joe's....and Miller is his asst there....
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Completely irrelevant....he's the one who talked about what a great history we have when he first took the job.

At the time he was hired, we were 100000% completely irrelevant in college basketball. That is a fact.
Last edited by Rhody15 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Duquesne is completely irrelevant. East Carolina, Tulane are completely irrelevant. We had a bad couple seasons prior to Dan, but for the 5 years prior to that we were a consummate bubble/late season collapse team. A team that was in the final four of the NIT. That beat Syracuse in the carrier dome. That was ranked at one point. That had a former player thriving in the NBA. That comment is horse shit. A better talk track and more accurate statement would have been something along the lines of “at Rhode Island I took over a once proud program that had gone through tough times and interest was at an all time low.” That would have been accurate. And not some spin to position himself as JC reincarnated. He knows so much about Uconns history, seems he should know things like the fast break being invented at URI, or a guy named Harrick taking us within a sniff of the final four...maybe some guy named Odom rings a bell?
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It would be something if the UConn BB program gets severe penalties for these alleged recruiting violations.

Could Dan have been misled by the powers that be, that they would likely only get a slap on the wrist?

Might be longer than he thinks for his program to get back to the Dance after all......
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ollie shot baskets with a recruit ban him for life and put UConn on much needed probation

Hopefully Ollie gets his money from UConn
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote:It would be something if the UConn BB program gets severe penalties for these alleged recruiting violations.

Could Dan have been misled by the powers that be, that they would likely only get a slap on the wrist?

Might be longer than he thinks for his program to get back to the Dance after all......
Most still feel it will be a slap on the wrist.
More damaging to Dan will be if UCONN has to pay Ollie $10 million.

Another potential problem is if Ollie decides to air all the dirty laundry he has on far worse violations that occurred under Calhoun and Gino. Ollie’s lawyer mentioned as a defense that Calhoun and Gino did far worse and weren’t fired or even punished by the school. That negative PR would be damaging to both the women’s and men’s programs. Investigative articles for months that people are interested in because of the celebrity of Calhoun and Gino. It could be enough of a risk that causes UCONN to settle for $5+ million.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

bigappleram wrote:Duquesne is completely irrelevant. East Carolina, Tulane are completely irrelevant. We had a bad couple seasons prior to Dan, but for the 5 years prior to that we were a consummate bubble/late season collapse team. A team that was in the final four of the NIT. That beat Syracuse in the carrier dome. That was ranked at one point. That had a former player thriving in the NBA. That comment is horse shit. A better talk track and more accurate statement would have been something along the lines of “at Rhode Island I took over a once proud program that had gone through tough times and interest was at an all time low.” That would have been accurate. And not some spin to position himself as JC reincarnated. He knows so much about Uconns history, seems he should know things like the fast break being invented at URI, or a guy named Harrick taking us within a sniff of the final four...maybe some guy named Odom rings a bell?
You hit the nail on the head. I don’t care what state the program was in when he was hired, to say that we were completely irrelevant is a bit overboard no matter how you slice it. That comment, coupled with all the talk about the “Hurley brand”, etc...just rubbed me the wrong way. Seems like ole' Danny boy is a bit full of himself at the moment.
Last edited by NJRhodyFan 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Here's hoping that UConn has to pay Ollie the entire 10M AND gets put on probation by the NCAA. I have hated that school for a long time and wish it nothing but the worst.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
OrangeRam
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OrangeRam »

It's about time to stop kicking a dead horse. Hurley is gone. Move on.
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

NJRhodyFan wrote: That comment, coupled with all the talk about the “Hurley brand”, etc...just rubbed me the wrong way. Seems like old
It's PR -- he's overselling how bad URI was before to make himself seem like more of a savior.
I'm sure it's also leverage for UCONN, in that he can say "Look, I've done it before. It's not an instant process but if I could take URI from being "irrelevant" I can certainly bring you back."
Buys him time if the powers at be buy into it and his rebuild goes slower than anticipated.
2 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Kevin: UConn screwed you. If you won there's zero chance any of this would have been brought up. Time to flip the script and share your deepest secrets from your playing days. Time to let the national media know about some of the deepest darkest secrets of years past. Bring down Calhoun. Bring down UConn. You owe them nothing. In fact, they owe you $10,000,000.
1 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

With uconn saying it’s all ollies fault and trying to save themselves from paying him 10 mil, did they just throw themselves under the bus?
How does the NCAA not penalize them for “ lack of control” or “ lack of leadership “ by even allowing all this to happen?
Lost of scholarships, post season ban , maybe even lost of practice hours should be in order.

Sorry I had a lot of respect for DH but when you say we were irrelevant in college basketball that’s where I draw the line.
We have a history here that some schools wish they had.
Yes we had some down years and even with Barron we were a bubble team that just happen to lose at the worst times. We had NCAA trips 98-99 with an A-10 championship in 99. The early 90’s team made multiple NCAA trips. 88 team made sweet 16 with the whole country cheering for them bc of the Tom Garrick story.
78 team was good too and on and on.
So tell me how that makes us irrelevant?
Sorry Danny boy but your not all that. We have been there before and we will be there after you.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
NJRhodyFan wrote: That comment, coupled with all the talk about the “Hurley brand”, etc...just rubbed me the wrong way. Seems like old
It's PR -- he's overselling how bad URI was before to make himself seem like more of a savior.
I'm sure it's also leverage for UCONN, in that he can say "Look, I've done it before. It's not an instant process but if I could take URI from being "irrelevant" I can certainly bring you back."
Buys him time if the powers at be buy into it and his rebuild goes slower than anticipated.
Given how UConn treats those that don't succeed, buying time isn't the worst idea.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I don't think the problem with Ollie was just the lack of results -- There was a general consensus around that program that Ollie was not working hard to make the program great. People felt he was lazy in recruiting and in his overall focus on the program. He basically took over for Calhoun, rode those recruits to a National Championship, rode that momentum to some early high-profile commitments, and that was it. Program chemistry was terrible, assistants weren't happy, lost a ton of players to transfer, etc. Do I agree with throwing your program under a bus? No. I think that's shady and I would be scared to be an incoming coach into that situation. But you guys would know best, I can't ever imagine anyone questioning Hurley's work ethic on the job. Ever. He might have other issues (I.E - not winning enough), but I think those fans/admin will appreciate how hard he works every day.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

UCONN released their OOC schedule today. Some fans are ok with it, seeing it was a softer schedule for a team that needs to grow and develop. Many seem very upset, in that it's very weak in comparison to other years and will give the team minimal chance to make the NCAA Tournament (yes that appears multiple times).

Morehead St (2k Classic)
UMKC (2k Classic)
vs Syracuse (2K Classic)
vs Iowa/Oregon (2K Classic)
Cornell
New Hampshire
UMASS-Lowell
Arizona
Lafayette
vs Florida St. (NJ)
Manhattan
Drexel
vs Villanova (MSG)
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Nice home schedule. Were do I buy my season tickets (:
Morehead St
UMKC
Cornell
New Hampshire
UMASS-Lowell
Arizona
Lafayette
Manhattan
Drexel

9 home games and only one good team.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Starting to pick up momentum nationally, not a good look for UConn....

https://deadspin.com/uconn-is-trying-to ... 1827021568
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote:UCONN released their OOC schedule today. Some fans are ok with it, seeing it was a softer schedule for a team that needs to grow and develop. Many seem very upset, in that it's very weak in comparison to other years and will give the team minimal chance to make the NCAA Tournament (yes that appears multiple times).

Morehead St (2k Classic)
UMKC (2k Classic)
vs Syracuse (2K Classic)
vs Iowa/Oregon (2K Classic)
Cornell
New Hampshire
UMASS-Lowell
Arizona
Lafayette
vs Florida St. (NJ)
Manhattan
Drexel
vs Villanova (MSG)
I'd think win the games they're supposed to win and then the games against the 'Cuse, Zona, FSU and Villanova should give ample opportunity.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:Nice home schedule. Were do I buy my season tickets (:
Morehead St
UMKC
Cornell
New Hampshire
UMASS-Lowell
Arizona
Lafayette
Manhattan
Drexel

They draw great at MSG and play Syracuse, Oregon/Iowa and 'nova there...not home games for sure, but likely good home-like crowds.
Could understand fan kvetching about the home OOC sched...but can't say that ours is any better?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:Nice home schedule. Were do I buy my season tickets (:
Morehead St
UMKC
Cornell
New Hampshire
UMASS-Lowell
Arizona
Lafayette
Manhattan
Drexel

They draw great at MSG and play Syracuse, Oregon/Iowa and 'nova there...not home games for sure, but likely good home-like crowds.
Could understand fan kvetching about the home OOC sched...but can't say that ours is any better?
While on average their schedule is not strong, they still have what projects to 4 Top 20 opponents on their schedule, with the possibility of a 5th if they play Oregon at MSG. While I'm sure fans will get tired of watching the Lafayette's and Manhattan's at home, the higher-ranked the mid-major, the more risk of loss. Why swap Drexel with another Top 100 game/Top 125 game? This is a rebuilding year for UCONN -- it does no one any good to go 6-7 during OOC play. The goal should be to get to 20 wins (not impossible given their OOC and weak conference schedule). If they can do that, they might be in play for the NIT, and with what many think might be a Top 15 recruiting class, should be ready as early as next season to really compete for an NCAA birth.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

STC wrote:Starting to pick up momentum nationally, not a good look for UConn....

So UCONN fired Ollie for 'just cause', yet they protected Calhoun when he violated NCAA rules in the preceding years. Seems like quite a double standard, no?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

the whole thing is quite the quagmire to watch....Calhoun, Ollie, Miller....they've all got some on them....good off season times....
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

NJRhodyFan wrote:
STC wrote:Starting to pick up momentum nationally, not a good look for UConn....

So UCONN fired Ollie for 'just cause', yet they protected Calhoun when he violated NCAA rules in the preceding years. Seems like quite a double standard, no?
I guess it depends on how the contract reads -- If UCONN had to pay Ollie $10 million regardless of whether they had just cause or not, there is a good chance probably still their head coach. A lot of older college contracts don't do a good job of explaining this language, and the coaches when fired are still typically owed their base salary amount in the event of a "just cause" termination. It's very possible Calhoun's contract was written in such a manner. Of course it didn't hurt that he was winning. But, it's the same reason that Belichick is still the head coach of the Pats ... Would he be given such a long leash if he wasn't one of the GOAT's?
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Couple of observations:

-- Glen Miller is Arrogant Haystack Calhoun's boy. He knows where all the bodies are buried. Throw him under the bus at your own risk.

-- Screw Hurley.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

UConn imo will be forced to settle, unless they want all of their past dirty laundry to be made public and run the risk of more sanctions.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The problem for UConn is what incentive does Ollie have to settle? Any thought to not going full out on his old school probably went out the window when the school and his old coach publicly trashed him.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RhowdyRam02 wrote:The problem for UConn is what incentive does Ollie have to settle? Any thought to not going full out on his old school probably went out the window when the school and his old coach publicly trashed him.
Well I think the argument will come down to what justifies "just cause?"
Per his contract, "just cause" includes "a violation by the coach of any law, rule, regulation, policy, bylaw, or official interpretation of the University, the conference, or the NCAA" and also "a violation by a member of the basketball coaching staff, or any other person under the coaches supervision or direction, including student-athletes in it's basketball program, that the coach knew as a violation, and takes no steps to address, correct, and report the violation within a reasonable period of time which under no circumstances shall be longer than ten (10) business days."
So if there were any violations, the contract clearly states that the coach will only receive any additional money that they had earned as of their date of termination.
To me I read all of that and I say, even if a violation is extremely small, it's still a violation that can be used to terminate the contract.
If that is the case, it was in Ollie's best interest to settle so he at least gets something, which is better than nothing.
That's not to say that the university still doesn't look petty, but Ollie has to make sure to cover his own ass.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:The problem for UConn is what incentive does Ollie have to settle? Any thought to not going full out on his old school probably went out the window when the school and his old coach publicly trashed him.
Per his contract, "just cause" includes "a violation by the coach of any law, rule, regulation, policy, bylaw, or official interpretation of the University, the conference, or the NCAA" and also "a violation by a member of the basketball coaching staff, or any other person under the coaches supervision or direction, including student-athletes in it's basketball program, that the coach knew as a violation, and takes no steps to address, correct, and report the violation within a reasonable period of time which under no circumstances shall be longer than ten (10) business days."
So if there were any violations, the contract clearly states that the coach will only receive any additional money that they had earned as of their date of termination.
To me I read all of that and I say, even if a violation is extremely small, it's still a violation that can be used to terminate the contract.
If that is the case, it was in Ollie's best interest to settle so he at least gets something, which is better than nothing.
That's not to say that the university still doesn't look petty, but Ollie has to make sure to cover his own ass.

The problem with your reasoning is that this clause was not enforced against their other coaches that had transgressions.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote:

The problem with your reasoning is that this clause was not enforced against their other coaches that had transgressions.
Have you seen Calhoun's contract? I've been trying to find it to see if the language is the same.

Interesting read from the Hartford Courant:

By terms of Ollie’s contract, UConn appears to be on firm legal ground in a “just cause” pursuit because just about any violation falls under that umbrella. Still, the school doesn’t, right now, have a strong common sense case.

And let’s be real. Ollie wasn’t fired for the depth and breadth of alleged allegations. He was fired for losing control of the program and losing, period. A handful of additional victories in 2016-18 and these are issues being worked through, privately, not serving as the basis for a PR war and a battle over the remaining $10 million on Ollie’s contract.

Both parties backed themselves into this complicated fiscal intersection of winning, losing, right, wrong, excuses and veiled motivations. Ollie did it with carelessness that appears to be woven into his pattern of behavior. UConn did it with the responsibility of having signed a contract with an albatross of a buyout, spending much of the past two years collecting information that ultimately would be used as tools to break free.

If the Huskies had continued to win under Ollie, UConn would be sending checks to some high-profile Midwest law firm and helping its coach build a defense. Because the team started to lose, and continued losing, the university can play the angle that it has rid itself of a coach gone wrong and set a righteous path for the future of its program. But there is no middle ground and these battles begin before its participants even realize they are fully engaged.

None of it feels right. Not Ollie’s behavior, and you wonder why, how, he lost his way. Not UConn’s. And now no one looks good. There are no winners here and won’t be, even after the money lands in Ollie’s bank account or stays at UConn.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men ... story.html
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

And the drama will roll for some time...As a side piece...It'll be interesting to see how long Calhoun keeps Miller around. While it's true he knows where the bodies are buried, I would think after a while, Calhoun would be sick of seeing his ratface every day...
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:And the drama will roll for some time...As a side piece...It'll be interesting to see how long Calhoun keeps Miller around. While it's true he knows where the bodies are buried, I would think after a while, Calhoun would be sick of seeing his ratface every day...

Miller likely ratted out Ollie with the consent of Calhoun. Calhoun had already soured on Ollie and he hired Glenn Miller AFTER he had spoke to the NCAA.

UConn is a sewer where they all turn on one another. Lots of battles for turf dominance there. Not surprising Calhoun and Geno loathed one another.

Ollie was fired for losing. The just cause thing is just a smokescreen to not pay the full 10+M owed to him. The fact that other coaches were not held to these standards and the school basically launched an investigation to justify the firing hurt the UConn case. If they had fired Calhoun for his many NCAA infractions and sanctions, they would likely have no problem firing with cause. They however didn't do that and amazingly still keep Calhoun employed. Will get really interesting if Ollie makes public the wrongdoings of Calhoun and Geno as has been threatened. It is now at the point where it is a scorched earth strategy for all those involved.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

do you really believe that Miller did not do what he did and say what he said without Calhoun's approval ? He is his lap dog and is where he is now and was at UConn only because of Calhoun. This is a dirty story that is just now beginning to see the light of day.... in the end there may be a lot of dirt that comes out of this concerning Calhoun and Auriema when Ollie starts to tell what he knows …. I am enjoying all of this actually.
0 x
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RF1 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:

The clause was not in Calhoun’s contract. UCONN learned a lessoon from that and strengthened their position on all coaches contracts going forward. The Calhoun situation got testy when he was suspended. They forced him to retire after the season. He didn’t want to retire.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Calhoun was pissed at Ollie for firing Miller. He turned on Ollie after that. I believe Calhoun stopped talking to Ollie after Miller was fired. Calhoun’s office was right down the hall from Ollie’s. That must have been very uncomfortable.
0 x