All things Dan Hurley/UCONN THREAD

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: All things Dan Hurley/UCONN THREAD

Unread post by reef »

That's strange what are they doing at UConn ??
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

More Hurley timing fun! (y'know...for fun.. :lol: :lol: .)

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men ... story.html

Geno Auriemma, winner of 11 national titles in women’s basketball, had long talks with Hurley before the men’s coach took the job. Football coach Randy Edsall dropped by for a good 45-minute chat. Every coaching job is unique and both had some thoughts about the challenge Hurley faces in taking over where Jim Calhoun built a program that won three national championships and Kevin Ollie won a fourth in 2014.

I do think UConn will be interesting to watch this year...
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I think this is kind of a slam at the URI Seniors, Hass and KI.

Dan Hurley told the fans he wanted a chance to coach an “elite program.”

And rather than have a coach like, say, Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski, who eliminated Hurley’s Rhode Island team in the last NCAA Tournament, shake his hand and tell him to enjoy his summer … “I want to get some players who are going to be dudes and then I can shake his hand and tell him to enjoy his summer,” Hurley said.

I hope he never gets that chance.
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

If those conversations took place after our season and after he'd been contacted about the job, it isn't exactly scandalous. I'm convinced that there was shenanigans involved, not sure if this was part of it or not. Definitely sure my ability to care has diminished to the point where it is barely there at all.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would think those conversations happened the week after the Duke game before he took the job

Edsall made a good point it's easier for DH to replace Ollie and not Calhoun . I think he gets a pass this year and next but if they struggle in year 3 their fans will turn on him ???
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

reef wrote:Edsall made a good point it's easier for DH to replace Ollie and not Calhoun . I think he gets a pass this year and next but if they struggle in year 3 their fans will turn on him ???
They fired Ollie, an alumn from one of their best at the time teams, four years after a national championship after he missed the tournament two years in a row. Hurley better get in the tournament in one of his first two seasons or have a monster team coming back for year three.

The only way he gets a leash as long as Ollie's is if UConn people finally realize what everyone else in the country already knows, they're no longer big time now that they're in the AAC. Their president is leaving now. Connecticut is a mess and people are jumping ship before they hit the iceberg
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I hope Dan gets UConn to be the second-best college basketball program in New England for the next 20 years.....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I hope the Leg-humpers go 0-30 every year.

Unless they play that hideous, disgusting institution in the old mental hospital, in which case I want to see a double forfeit.

Screw Hurley.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:I hope the Leg-humpers go 0-30 every year.

Unless they play that hideous, disgusting institution in the old mental hospital, in which case I want to see a double forfeit.

Screw Hurley.
yup.

sorry, not sorry but here's to hoping he's out on his ass within 2-3 years there
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
reef wrote:Edsall made a good point it's easier for DH to replace Ollie and not Calhoun . I think he gets a pass this year and next but if they struggle in year 3 their fans will turn on him ???
They fired Ollie, an alumn from one of their best at the time teams, four years after a national championship after he missed the tournament two years in a row. Hurley better get in the tournament in one of his first two seasons or have a monster team coming back for year three.

The only way he gets a leash as long as Ollie's is if UConn people finally realize what everyone else in the country already knows, they're no longer big time now that they're in the AAC. Their president is leaving now. Connecticut is a mess and people are jumping ship before they hit the iceberg
Ollie took over a winning program with a loaded team. Hurley is taking over a team that is coming off the only 2 losing seasons in the last 30 years with a team that isn’t loaded with talent.

The fans loved Calhoun. By the end the fans hated everything about Ollie.

For those two reasons Hurley will be given plenty of time by the fan base.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:I hope the Leg-humpers go 0-30 every year.

Screw Hurley.
I would absolutely root for Providence to beat UConn. Maybe my mind will change in time but the whole process of Hurley leaving left a bad taste in my mouth. I feel that it could have been handled a lot better on his end.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I did not like UConn before Hurley went there and still do not like them. Enough bad things cannot happen to that school's athletic programs to make me happy. SCREW UCONN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I really like the new rule that gives coaches more time for practice/skill work in the off-season with their players. It’s good for teams, like UConn and URI, that either have new coaches or have younger players that are going to have to produce. I wonder if it will lead to more late transfers, as players adjust to new coaches or don’t see their role developing like they thought it would at the end of the previous season.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This thread is uncomfortable
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

This thread is a good opportunity to talk about other stuff...the really good thing is...it's not required reading :lol:
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Looks like DH is using the new rules to his advantage being hands on

Also was that the slimy Tommy Moore in the beginning of the clip ???
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Owen Sammarone, who was the head basketball manager this past year, will be joining the UConn program as a graduate assistant.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

If you head over to the "Boneyard," UCONN fans seem really convinced that Precious Achiewa (5th overall recruit 24/7) and Jaiden Delaire (109th overall recruit 24/7) are their recruits to lose in 2019, plus I get the impression they think they have great shots at Kofi Cockburn (32nd overall recruit 24/7) and James Bouknight (75th overall recruit 24/7). Would be quite a haul, if it is truly based in reality.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Hurley was recruiting 3 of them while at Rhody....so I guess there is a chance at those three...are they ranked high enough for UConn fans?
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I've seen Bouknight a few times. He's a good player, but he's not a top 75. His teammate at Mac Duffie, Mr. Tate, is a better player.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote:I've seen Bouknight a few times. He's a good player, but he's not a top 75. His teammate at Mac Duffie, Mr. Tate, is a better player.
I agree. I saw them 3 times. Bouknight didn’t stick out at all.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

To paraphrase the singer Gotye: Dan Hurley now is just somebody that we used to know....
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I believe DH will get it done on the recruiting trail at UConn but not sure he gets them to an elite 8 in 5 years
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote:If you head over to the "Boneyard,"
I would rather figure out how to extract battery acid from a battery and pour it in my eye.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

lol I woukd never go on that despicable message board , ours is way better
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote:lol I woukd never go on that despicable message board , ours is way better
Theirs...has a lot of good humor....
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Not all is rosey at UCONN. Money issues. Hurley and other coaches on bus trip to try to raise donations and tickets sales.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-hus ... story.html
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good that they have to take bus trips to raise money

I hope they fail miserably
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:Not all is rosey at UCONN. Money issues. Hurley and other coaches on bus trip to try to raise donations and tickets sales.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-hus ... story.html
I thought he went to UConn because he didn’t want to ever ever ever ever ever ever ride on a bus again? They should be flying him around Connecticut on a decommissioned Concorde or something.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

UCONNs affliction with the AAC while having a few down years definitely impacts the bottom-line. People aren’t showing up to watch a ~.500 team play Tulane or East Carolina. There is a lot of excitement about what Hurley can bring to Storrs but they still need to make up for a few down years in the revenue department. If Hurley performs as advertised, this won’t be much of a conversation in the future. Credit to Hurley for being able to spend a week with that asshat Geno.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The new TV contract that the AAC gets in football had better be a LOT bigger than the current one, or else not much will change when it comes to their money issues.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:UCONNs affliction with the AAC while having a few down years definitely impacts the bottom-line. People aren’t showing up to watch a ~.500 team play Tulane or East Carolina. There is a lot of excitement about what Hurley can bring to Storrs but they still need to make up for a few down years in the revenue department. If Hurley performs as advertised, this won’t be much of a conversation in the future. Credit to Hurley for being able to spend a week with that asshat Geno.
If you read the article, it is much more than that. You have a state in the worst financial trouble that is reducing its support of UCONN. They will have a new Chairman of the Board of Trustees and a new University President which brings uncertainty as to their support of athletics. The Big East revenue ends this year. They pay huge rent for football stadium and XL Center. They need money for several athletic complex projects. They just paid their fired football coach $5 million and are about to pay Ollie $10 million.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The emperor has no clothes.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

So...when does the home and home happen with them huskies?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I wonder if Calhoun brought up all these problems when he was sleazing his way around here.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

UCONN’s longest trip for an OOC game next year is a neutral site game in NJ at the Prudential Center.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Maybe we can give UCONN a discount on the Hurley buyout for a home game at the RC. :)
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Now he's just somebody we used to know......I hope UConn is the second best men's college basketball team in New England every year
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

While I am enjoying the pivot this board has taken to becoming a Hurley/UConn message board, I visited that Boneyard place for the first time. Which one of you is Yardigan?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Struggle UCONN struggle !!!!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhody83 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:UCONNs affliction with the AAC while having a few down years definitely impacts the bottom-line. People aren’t showing up to watch a ~.500 team play Tulane or East Carolina. There is a lot of excitement about what Hurley can bring to Storrs but they still need to make up for a few down years in the revenue department. If Hurley performs as advertised, this won’t be much of a conversation in the future. Credit to Hurley for being able to spend a week with that asshat Geno.
If you read the article, it is much more than that. You have a state in the worst financial trouble that is reducing its support of UCONN. They will have a new Chairman of the Board of Trustees and a new University President which brings uncertainty as to their support of athletics. The Big East revenue ends this year. They pay huge rent for football stadium and XL Center. They need money for several athletic complex projects. They just paid their fired football coach $5 million and are about to pay Ollie $10 million.
Sure, but a lot of the financial uncertainty can be fixed by fixing the basketball program. The men's basketball program is what drives that athletic department. With the program in shambles, attendance falls and donors close their wallets. The right hire and an upward trajectory and people start shoveling money back into the program, while also providing ample attendance. Even an anti-athletic stooge would have to realize that having nationally relevant athletic programs provides a huge boost to the scholastic entity from an advertising perspective, and especially for public institutions, that typically leads towards increased out-of-state tuition. Now if the new administration was smart, they would all but destroy the football program while increasing the focus on basketball and trying to get the basketball program into the Big East as the 11th team. They made a huge investment in the football program but it really has not paid off and Edsall feels almost like that last-gasp Hail Mary to try get anything out of the program. The worst thing that could happen for UCONN is the continued chase for P5 football and missing out on the chance to have a safe landing for the basketball program. If they were to land in a P5 conference, then of course it's a win and everyone goes home happy. Is that likely?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

https://www.google.com/amp/www.courant. ... y,amp.html

This article disagrees with you that increased MBB ticket sales will solve the problem. Their media rights revenue is driven by football. The significant revenue comes from the AAC TV revenue and the $70 million from the old BE which ends this year. They need the new AAC TV contract to go up significantly. The contract expires in 2020. If their ticket sales were ncrease by 3,000/game at $30 per for 17 games is $1.5 million. That isn’t going to move the needle. Their all time attendance high is 13,000. Two years ago they avg 10,000.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhody83 wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/www.courant. ... y,amp.html

This article disagrees with you that increased MBB ticket sales will solve the problem. Their media rights revenue is driven by football. The significant revenue comes from the AAC TV revenue and the $70 million from the old BE which ends this year. They need the new AAC TV contract to go up significantly. The contract expires in 2020. If their ticket sales were ncrease by 3,000/game at $30 per for 17 games is $1.5 million. That isn’t going to move the needle. Their all time attendance high is 13,000. Two years ago they avg 10,000.
I don't disagree that ticket sales from MBB aren't going to fix the problem, but I do believe Hurley winning games and making UCONN relevant again in the national picture is going to allow for donors to reopen and begin reinvesting in the program. It might not bridge the whole gap but there were a lot of people pissed with Ollie two years ago, forget last seasons debacle, and stopped investing in the program all together. For example, in 2015, UCONN raised $16.9 million in athletic donations. In 2017, they raised $12.4 million. It's no different then what many people did at URI with Baron or what at PC with Welsh and Keno. Paying what they did for Hurley given the financial constraints felt almost like an investment. They need to bridge a lot of different gaps to better their situation.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

My point is you are wrong that the financial issues can be fixed by fixing the MBB and that the MBB is what drives the athletic program. It seems like you think basketball is everything because that is the case at PC.

The local CT media that cover UCONN every day, a significant donor I know and a person that I know who works in UCONN’s athletic fundraising department don’t agree with you.

PC athletics and URI athletics aren’t in the same universe as UCONN athletics. UCONN’s athletic revenue is $80 million/year (47th in the country). Even at $80 million all but seven of the P5 schools generate more revenue because of the conference generated revenue and football.

A lot of UCONN’s athletic donations have been for major projects which can cause fluctuations in fundraising. They raised $17 million in donations for the basketball practice facility. The borrowed another $23 million.

From UCONN artilce in Jan 2016:
Preliminary improvement costs for the baseball, soccer, and softball complexes total $46 million, and the UConn Foundation expects to be able to raise $25 million in private donations toward the projects – with a substantial portion of that total already in hand.
This was part of the 2015 donations you mentioned.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

From Courant article:
Teams under consideration for UConn’s mid-major, nonconference opponents next season include Cornell, Drexel, UMass Lowell and New Hampshire. UConn will play home games against Missouri-Kansas City and Morehead State as part of the 2K Classic. There is also consideration of playing one exhibition game (possibly against Southern Connecticut) and one scrimmage against a Division I opponent. A scrimmage would be closed to public and media.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great let them play the little sisters of the poor

Hope one of those bottom feeders pulls the upset
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

That article did not include any of UCONN’s high-end games — they play Arizona in Storrs, FSU in NJ, Villanova at MSG,and the 2K Classic (Cuse and Oregon/Iowa).
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:That article did not include any of UCONN’s high-end games — they play Arizona in Storrs, FSU in NJ, Villanova at MSG,and the 2K Classic (Cuse and Oregon/Iowa).
Correct. That is why it started with - UConn’s mid-major, nonconference opponents next season. Still some pretty weak teams.
Last year’s RPI Ranking:
UMKC 224
Drexel 239
Cornell 241
UMass Lowell 283
Morehead State 291
UNH 308

Majors:
Nova 2
Arizona 15
Syracuse 37
Florida State 48
Iowa 152 (assuming they lose to Syracuse)

They could go 7-4 with all 7 wins vs 152+ (6 against 224+). No away games.
They could also have 7 conference games against 151+ teams.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I'd take that sked over what we have in a heartbeat...
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

One of DH strength is putting together a schedule. He probably knows this coming year he won't dance so he schedule accordingly

I bet next season he schedules more conducive to getting in the dance