All things Dan Hurley/UCONN THREAD

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Re: All things Dan Hurley/UCONN THREAD

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

TruePoint wrote:Watch out AAC
well, that confirms that Rothstein is still kissing the Hurley rings and is still his biggest cheerleader
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Watch out AAC
well, that confirms that Rothstein is still kissing the Hurley rings and is still his biggest cheerleader
And we loved every second of it when he was here. We praised Rothstein every time he covered URI. Let's not act now like there is something wrong with it.
8 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

reef wrote:The question is will Omar outplay Adams as a frosh ??
Given the respective rosters, I think Silverio has a better chance of earning minutes as a freshman.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

These are his top freshmen in the conference:

I also don’t understand following a person on twitter after having referred to him as a “fucking loser,” but maybe that’s just me.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Memphis has 3 of top 5 frosh the Penny Hardsway effect
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Hurley got a team with some talent but little character. He'll get some of them to buy in and will weed the others out. This is not a URI situation. UConn could be decent immediately.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree ^^
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

giovanni wrote:
Gives the UConn media a ready excuse for why the car salesman isn't winning right away.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

If I had to wager...I'd still bet on them winning right away...
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It’s petty and just flat out wrong to call Dan a used car salesmen especially given that there are so many legit phonies in the biz. If you read the Sutton interview a lot of what attracted him to the job were things DH built.
7 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

bigappleram wrote:It’s petty and just flat out wrong to call Dan a used car salesmen especially given that there are so many legit phonies in the biz. If you read the Sutton interview a lot of what attracted him to the job were things DH built.
I agree with this, but also, even if he was a used car salesman it still wouldn’t change the fact that he’s a good coach and it is very unlikely that he struggles for long - if at all - at UConn. The guy built URI - a historically less prestigious and less accomplished program, with much less resources and out of a much bigger hole than UConn - the right way into a national program that has been and is setup to continue to be a top-25ish type program. I’d guess very few people are more salty about how he left here and where he went to than I am, but let’s not pretend all of a sudden that the guy was a scumbag who couldn’t coach.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote:
bigappleram wrote:It’s petty and just flat out wrong to call Dan a used car salesmen especially given that there are so many legit phonies in the biz. If you read the Sutton interview a lot of what attracted him to the job were things DH built.
I agree with this, but also, even if he was a used car salesman it still wouldn’t change the fact that he’s a good coach and it is very unlikely that he struggles for long - if at all - at UConn. The guy built URI - a historically less prestigious and less accomplished program, with much less resources and out of a much bigger hole than UConn - the right way into a national program that has been and is setup to continue to be a top-25ish type program. I’d guess very few people are more salty about how he left here and where he went to than I am, but let’s not pretend all of a sudden that the guy was a scumbag who couldn’t coach.
all true.

but at the same time, 2 NCAA appearances and no Sweet 16s in 6 seasons = UConn throws him out on his ass and doesn't look back. there are A LOT of unrealistic expectations that aren't dropping anytime soon in Storrs

Also, he wont be able to sit back and out athlete teams to wins like he could against some here in the A10
0 x
---
---
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Would be stunned if he doesn't do better than 2 NCAA appearances in 6 years. I'll be surprised if they don't make it this year...seems to me like he's improved as a coach every year....
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Dan always talks about changing the culture. That doesn't happen overnight. I don't see them in the tourney in his first year. My guess would be year 3. If he has an incredible '19 recruiting class, possibly year 2. I know the rebuild isn't anything like it was here, but the competition will be stiffer. I would expect them to play a lot of big names in year 2 in the OOC. That's why I predict year 3. We'll see.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

They'll be coming to the Dunk next year (2019-20), bank on it.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Have heard the same (UConn at the Dunk)...
I think they have a better than 50/50 shot at NCAAT this year.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Bubble team this year imo.

I think they will struggle in close games against good teams, at least for a while....until the talent level improves enough.

Will be interesting to see how Dan manages games where they have a lead late. That's still his biggest weakness as a coach, although he's improving there.

Ultimately I think they miss the Dance...NIT team. Likely NCAA the following season.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I think so also for UConn big dance in year 2 if not then better be year 3 or the natives will get restless
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

thing is he is dealing with a fanbase where simply making the NCAA is not close to being good enough. They consider anything less than a Sweet 16, every year, as failure.
1 x
---
---
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:thing is he is dealing with a fanbase where simply making the NCAA is not close to being good enough. They consider anything less than a Sweet 16, every year, as failure.
The short-term standard will be different then the long-term standard. Long-term they will definitely expect deep NCAA runs every year. He's going to get a pass for now because their fans understand what the team looks like. You can easily see it by reading their board. The disadvantage Ollie had was he took over a championship caliber program and drove it into the ground. Hurley is in a much different spot.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:thing is he is dealing with a fanbase where simply making the NCAA is not close to being good enough. They consider anything less than a Sweet 16, every year, as failure.
The short-term standard will be different then the long-term standard. Long-term they will definitely expect deep NCAA runs every year. He's going to get a pass for now because their fans understand what the team looks like. You can easily see it by reading their board. The disadvantage Ollie had was he took over a championship caliber program and drove it into the ground. Hurley is in a much different spot.
Agree....seems like just reaching NCAAT this year and next would be considered quite successful by the Huskerish faithful
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I love dos’s obsession with the fans, as if Hurley’s own expectations for himself won’t at least double theirs. It will either work out or it won’t, and his bosses will act accordingly. He’s not exactly a bare minimum of work kind of guy, and I’ll (obviously) always bet on him. I’m still getting familiar with the roster, but they seem to have really good guards, if Gilbert stays healthy (huge if), and a series of indistinguishable, possibly one-dimensional bigs. Lots of familiar names, though, as about half the roster were URI targets/interests at some point (Wilson, Smith, Adams, Polley, Diarra, Vital).
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I have little doubt that Dan will meet the fans’ expectations over the first three years. He will do well at UCONN unless he hits a major roadblock with recruiting - if he swings for 4/5 stars and completely wiffs. I don’t expect that to happen. If it did he would need to refocus and go after the talent level he did at Rhody. If that causes a time gap, he could have a lean recruiting class. He gets more out of his players than their talent level. He could win at UCONN with the talent level he recruited to Rhody.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

ace wrote:I love dos’s obsession with the fans, as if Hurley’s own expectations for himself won’t at least double theirs. It will either work out or it won’t, and his bosses will act accordingly. He’s not exactly a bare minimum of work kind of guy, and I’ll (obviously) always bet on him. I’m still getting familiar with the roster, but they seem to have really good guards, if Gilbert stays healthy (huge if), and a series of indistinguishable, possibly one-dimensional bigs. Lots of familiar names, though, as about half the roster were URI targets/interests at some point (Wilson, Smith, Adams, Polley, Diarra, Vital).
the fans and the administration over there share the same expectations and the same ability to turn on a coach quickly.

neither of them care how hard you tried or the effort you put in, they only care about bottom line results and if you dont produce results to their standards, start packing
0 x
---
---
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote:I love dos’s obsession with the fans, as if Hurley’s own expectations for himself won’t at least double theirs. It will either work out or it won’t, and his bosses will act accordingly. He’s not exactly a bare minimum of work kind of guy, and I’ll (obviously) always bet on him. I’m still getting familiar with the roster, but they seem to have really good guards, if Gilbert stays healthy (huge if), and a series of indistinguishable, possibly one-dimensional bigs. Lots of familiar names, though, as about half the roster were URI targets/interests at some point (Wilson, Smith, Adams, Polley, Diarra, Vital).
the fans and the administration over there share the same expectations and the same ability to turn on a coach quickly.

neither of them care how hard you tried or the effort you put in, they only care about bottom line results and if you dont produce results to their standards, start packing
I'm not getting your point though. A heck of a lot of people around here wanted him fired after a few years to. Somebody even started a thread about how bad he was at one point I think! Called him like Baron 2.0 or something...
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: the fans and the administration over there share the same expectations and the same ability to turn on a coach quickly.

Yes, I understand that.
adam914 wrote:

I'm not getting your point though. A heck of a lot of people around here wanted him fired after a few years to. Somebody even started a thread about how bad he was at one point I think! Called him like Baron 2.0 or something...
Exactly. Tough fan base, high expectations. Ok, and...? He’ll put everything into getting the job done, and it will work out or it won’t. But your concern for Dan, dos, is nice.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

LOL..as you know...No one has 'concern for Dan'. He's going to have people wishing him to do well, and others for him to bomb.
No rooting interest either way, but I do think UConn will be an interesting story to watch this year...and that's what CBB is all about...
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Jokes, dude. Jokes. Dos has made his opinions well known.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I get that..just saying that Dan will have his supporters (pretty clear here, for the most part, who is not among them)...but regardless...it's going to be an interesting watch.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

UCONN’s second 3 star offer today. Al-Amir is rated 241. Is this plan B or C for Dan in case he doesn’t get the Top 50 recruits he is pursuing.

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Is Tom Moore Dan’s driver :). Always by his side.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I want UConn to be the 2nd best college team in NE every year....
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I don’t think Cole Anthony played. PSA lost scoring 50 points. Bouknight scored 33 of the 50. I guess that injury has healed.

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:Hurley is sharing a lot of info
https://www.nhregister.com/uconn/articl ... 102171.php
Hmmm. It mentions the Jim Calhoun Charity Game. but doesn't say anything about Kevin Ollie participating.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I’m not sure who would write a similar article for URI at this point. McNamara?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ace wrote:I’m not sure who would write a similar article for URI at this point. McNamara?
That's a good question, now that Koch is on the Sox beat.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

steviep123 wrote:
ace wrote:I’m not sure who would write a similar article for URI at this point. McNamara?
I was thinking the same thing. Koch covering the Sox has lessened the Rhody ProJo coverage. Coc has been doing interviews with Channel 10 & 12. My thought was Chris DiSano.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

He"d have to get permission from the Eaton Street insane asylum first.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

McNamara now doing puff pieces on Jim Calhoun. Interviewed him at Pt Judith CC and mentions his Green Hill beach house. Hopefully the people of South County show Jim Calhoun the same respect he gives others.

On a side note - Far too many UConn coaches have homes in RI for my liking.
4 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
I was thinking the same thing. Koch covering the Sox has lessened the Rhody ProJo coverage. Cox has been doing interviews with Channel 10 & 12. My thought was Chris DiSano.
Chris’s takes on URI basketball are always the best reads. His recent articles on YurView are great, but it’s not the same as the local paper. He’s very deserving of a bigger platform, but I’ll enjoy what I can get.
4 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ace wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
I was thinking the same thing. Koch covering the Sox has lessened the Rhody ProJo coverage. Cox has been doing interviews with Channel 10 & 12. My thought was Chris DiSano.
Chris’s takes on URI basketball are always the best reads. His recent articles on YurView are great, but it’s not the same as the local paper. He’s very deserving of a bigger platform, but I’ll enjoy what I can get.
Will Geoghegan at The Independent (where Koch came from before the Projo) is also good. Perhaps he'll get a call up to the show like Koch did.
4 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:McNamara now doing puff pieces on Jim Calhoun. Interviewed him at Pt Judith CC and mentions his Green Hill beach house. Hopefully the people of South County show Jim Calhoun the same respect he gives others.

On a side note - Far too many UConn coaches have homes in RI for my liking.
Can you blame them? It's awesome here.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

That’s because Connecticut sucks
5 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote:That’s because Connecticut sucks
Right. Other side of the coin.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhodymob05 wrote:That’s because Connecticut sucks

Connecticut is nothing more than a drive-through state, which is why 90% of the state's population is currently in South County as I type this.
5 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It’s good to see we’ve all gotten over this Hurley thing
:D :D :D
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Connecticut has Stars Hollow. That alone makes it wonderful.
1 x