All things Dan Hurley/UCONN THREAD

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

All things Dan Hurley/UCONN THREAD

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I recommend all Hurley/UCONN banter not transfer or coaching carousel related news go here....
5 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: All things Dan Hurley/UCONN THREAD

Unread post by reef »

I like it !!!!
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

RF1.....some here I think actually believed that 2nd tweet.......

P.T. Barnum had it right..."There's a sucker born every minute".

That last sentence Dan does think that....but the sentence before.....
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I recommend all Hurley/UCONN talk die permanently.
4 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

BleedBlue87 wrote:I recommend all Hurley/UCONN talk die permanently.
Hear, Hear!!
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

DC_Rams wrote:
Hear, Hear!!
Don't click the thread.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There will be plenty of talk after they lose games....it's just human nature
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Billyboy78 wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:
Hear, Hear!!
Don't click the thread.
hear hear!!

Don't click and the thread goes away into the archives.

I get that some folks just want to put it in the past and yeah some of the stuff I don't really think about anymore, like the whole timing thing, when did so and so contact so and so. I don't care about that anymore because this covers it all...

Its all BS and if you want to ignore the fact that DH either lied or was talking to himself in this quote, fine ignore it. Some people got close with his family, so go ahead and justify all you want and some people got fooled (like myself) and will remember what snake-oil tastes like.
4 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

All coaches want to win and win championships...and make big money.....Dan is no different....but why say those things at all?

Better to say nothing than to flat out lie about it.

I will say this....after listening to coach Cox talk since he's been hired, I can see why no one save Adams chose to leave.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Perfect DC Rams!!

Well played!

(That was easy!!!!)

All the dirty Dawgs crap can go here!!!

Back to RhodyRam talk in all the other threads!!!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Keep this thread as long as DH is UConn coach see if it hits 100 pages like the coaching carousel???
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Nah, it'll go away into the archives soon enough. Most of us (self included) are happy DH came here, lifted and dragged the program up a steep hill and don't begrudge him moving on, my only contention is the whole fake bag I bought from him. Like I said in the past, he should have just said nothing and moved on when his "right" job offer came along.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Running Ram wrote:Nah, it'll go away into the archives soon enough. Most of us (self included) are happy DH came here, lifted and dragged the program up a steep hill and don't begrudge him moving on, my only contention is the whole fake bag I bought from him. Like I said in the past, he should have just said nothing and moved on when his "right" job offer came along.
I think this thread will have a lot of juice as long as UCONN is losing... If URI has a better year in 2019, 2020, etc., fans (and rightfully so) are going to enjoy dancing on that grave. If UCONN turns it around, starts consistently recruiting Top 50 players, etc., the blinders will go on and this thread will likely disappear into the abyss. The good news is that with Hurley going to UCONN, PC and URI fans have both found another common enemy which isn't each other :lol: :lol:
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don't think it will disappear

There will always be interest from a lot of fans on how DH does at UConn good or bad
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I'm hoping that our Rams , the friars, the eagles and the huskies will be serious competitors for the same recruits over the next few years....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I am hoping Dan will start up a home & home with Rhody.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Yeah, Larrier announced he was going pro at the end of their season. Got his college degree and now he finally gets to make money playing basketball. I love when that works out for these guys.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhody83 wrote:I am hoping Dan will start up a home & home with Rhody.
As long as his idol, Arrogant Haystack Calhoun, is calling the shots that'll never happen.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote:I am hoping Dan will start up a home & home with Rhody.
Their 18-19 schedule is complete. For now, scheduling against Rhody would kind of be like ASU.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I am guessing the professional side of Dan wants to say that UCONN is way above URI so playing URI could hurt that position.
He wants to play a Big East schedule. I don’t see any benefit for PC or St Johns. The same concept - the BE school doesn’t need to play an AAC Team in their recruiting area. They want to sell they are way above the AAC (and they are) and not an equal.

1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I don't see Dan scheduling us EVER. I still find it hard to believe that he is sort of teaming up with that bum Calhoun. Maybe I am wrong but I view them as sort of opposites.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

eli#10 wrote:I don't see Dan scheduling us EVER. I still find it hard to believe that he is sort of teaming up with that bum Calhoun. Maybe I am wrong but I view them as sort of opposites.
Give it time ;)
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote:
The article he wrote indicated that they’ve raised $88 million for improvements to the baseball, softball, and soccer facilities. It will be interesting to see what that conference looks like 5 or so years from now. And yes, we all know about football.
0 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

My thoughts on this thread:

1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

K
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
The article he wrote indicated that they’ve raised $88 million for improvements to the baseball, softball, and soccer facilities. It will be interesting to see what that conference looks like 5 or so years from now. And yes, we all know about football.
Benedict is hard to like. He has a huge ego. “They aren’t on MY payroll.” He covered items that typically would be the basketball coach’s responsibility. UCONN has a strong baseball and soccer program already. The AAC is vulnerable. Top AAC football schools could be picked off when the P5 expand. UCONN isn’t on that list. Unless they turn the football program around they are in a very risky situation.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don't think DH will ever schedule URI be very surprised if it happens as long as he is there
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Would love a "home and home" where one game is played at Mohegan and the other is played at the Dunk.

I would think Slim slim chance he ever comes back to Kingston.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Why would we ever play a game in the Dunkin Donuts Center other than every other year for PC? That's absolutely foolish, both in any game we schedule and in negotiations with PC. They would rightfully say, if you can play UConn here we can play all games here like we used to do.
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

UConn would want a game at Storrs and one at Mohegan if they were to schedule us.

Mohegan would be as close to a "home" game we would get.

I doubt Dan would play us at the RC.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody15 wrote:Would love a "home and home" where one game is played at Mohegan and the other is played at the Dunk.

I would think Slim slim chance he ever comes back to Kingston.
I would prefer to never play another home game in the Dunk.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

What is so special about UCONN right now that they could choose where we play them? Answer? Nothing. Dan will not try to schedule us anyway, so it is irrelevant.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:What is so special about UCONN right now that they could choose where we play them? Answer? Nothing. Dan will not try to schedule us anyway, so it is irrelevant.
Exactly. If they want to play home and home, great. Want to play every year at Mohegan, great. They keep saying they own the NYC market, so if they want to play their home game at Madison Square Garden and we'll play our home game at Mohegan, I'm sure we can accommodate them. They want to play their home game in Hartford or Storrs and we play our home game away from the Ryan Center? Thanks, but we'll schedule a program that has a winning record in the AAC.

And outside of a secret scrimmage or an exhibition like we played against Buffalo, I can't see this game being scheduled as long as any player he coached here is still on the roster.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

A great dream would be URI vs UCONN in the NCAA Tournament in two years (March 2020).
Last edited by Rhody83 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:What is so special about UCONN right now that they could choose where we play them? Answer? Nothing. Dan will not try to schedule us anyway, so it is irrelevant.
Exactly. If they want to play home and home, great. Want to play every year at Mohegan, great. They keep saying they own the NYC market, so if they want to play their home game at Madison Square Garden and we'll play our home game at Mohegan, I'm sure we can accommodate them. They want to play their home game in Hartford or Storrs and we play our home game away from the Ryan Center? Thanks, but we'll schedule a program that has a winning record in the AAC.

And outside of a secret scrimmage or an exhibition like we played against Buffalo, I can't see this game being scheduled as long as any player he coached here is still on the roster.
I will never stop posting this when people make this (completely ridiculous) argument.

You're telling me that you think URI is above scheduling a team with more national championships in the last two decades than we have NCAA berths? Give me a break, dude.

There's a reason why we haven't played them in a long time. And it's not because their record in the AAC. Smh.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

the_one_mike wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:

I will never stop posting this when people make this (completely ridiculous) argument.

You're telling me that you think URI is above scheduling a team with more national championships in the last two decades than we have NCAA berths? Give me a break, dude.

There's a reason why we haven't played them in a long time. And it's not because their record in the AAC. Smh.
I missed where anyone posted “URI is above scheduling ...” UCONN. There seems to be two points from the majority of posters - Dan will never play at the RC; if URI played UCONN it should be at a neutral site or a home and home.

The UCONN of today isn’t the UCONN of the Big East. People outside of the UCONN fan base are saying to UCONN it is time to move on. The Big East isn’t getting back together and you play in the AAC (a Mid Major Conference). The schools that want to put so much importance on how it use to be are the schools who haven’t done anything in the last few years and are worried about the next few years.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Mike Anthony

@ManthonyCourant
Follow Follow @ManthonyCourant
Jim Calhoun on the transition at UConn: Since Danny's come aboard he's had about 10 workouts, and I've been at about six of them. As you know, I wasn't doing much of that with Kevin. Kevin is my guy, and I'll continue to say that. But like anything else, change was needed (cont)

Mike Anthony
@ManthonyCourant
and we made a change. I wish him the best of luck. I'm sure he'll do well. Danny is going to do a great job, and it's good to see my favorite politician, Tom Moore, back.

6:10 PM - May 16, 2018

Yikes....to be considered Calhoun's 'favorite politician'...is that a compliment?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Mike Anthony

@ManthonyCourant
Follow Follow @ManthonyCourant
Jim Calhoun on the transition at UConn: Since Danny's come aboard he's had about 10 workouts, and I've been at about six of them. As you know, I wasn't doing much of that with Kevin. Kevin is my guy, and I'll continue to say that. But like anything else, change was needed (cont)

Mike Anthony
@ManthonyCourant
and we made a change. I wish him the best of luck. I'm sure he'll do well. Danny is going to do a great job, and it's good to see my favorite politician, Tom Moore, back.

6:10 PM - May 16, 2018

Yikes....to be considered Calhoun's 'favorite politician'...is that a compliment?
I guess, if being slimy is a cool thing these days.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Dan targeted Paul Mulcahy. Dan/UCONN had one of the four in home visits. Mulcahy committed to Rutgers tonight.
The other three schools are P5 (Rutgers, GTech & Northwestern).

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good luck Paul at Rutgers glad he spurned UConn
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

the_one_mike wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:

What's ridiculous is your lack of reading comprehension or your ability to build a strawman. Where did I say we were above scheduling UConn? In fact I laid out three scenarios where the scheduling would work. Sorry I don't think we should bend over when it comes to scheduling. This isn't college football and we're not an FCS type basketball school.

And the reason we haven't played is because they've been chickenshits and worried we could beat them
1 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

I don't see them scheduling us any time soon. After all we play in a "lesser conference"
and we aren't a cupcake. There is too much of a risk to lose to us to make it worth
while to them.

As for recruiting , I hope for a string of being a bridesmaid to Power 5 teams so it becomes
really clear to Dan that this is Not the UCONN he played against and the AAC of 2018 is
not the Big East of the 1980's. That he sold out for a program that is a shadow of
what it once was. See how long it takes for the frustration to mount and the
Alumni to call for his crucifixion. The bad taste of this is still way to fresh,
sorry if I am being petty. But all of Dan's "we're a real family not like those other
teams" turned out to be Bullshit.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Did you mind the family they created here when no one transferred? Or when they hung together and fought throught the self-inflicted adversity of the 16-17 season? Family doesn’t mean you never leave. St. Benedict’s, Wagner, URI. Same thing. But stay mad! Hope they officially hire a coach soon. This place needs a distraction.
3 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I attached this list in the previous UCONN thread, but this is just the list of Top 150 targets Hurley/UCONN are after for 2019:

This was a list someone had compiled of UCONN mentioned targets in an updated Top 150 list:

4 Cole Anthony
6 Precious Achiuwa
9 Jalen Lecque
20 Chol Marial
23 Aidan Igiehon
31 Kofi Cockburn
62 Lester Quinones
71 Jaiden Delaire
78 Anthony Harris
79 Joe Girard
92 Akok Akok
95 James Bouknight
97 Maxwell Lorca-LLoyd
106 Tre Mitchell
116 Sherif Kenney

It's an impressive list, but Hurley will find out for himself what type of weight the name "UCONN" still carries. They are certainly chasing some big fish out in Storrs.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:I attached this list in the previous UCONN thread, but this is just the list of Top 150 targets Hurley/UCONN are after for 2019:

This was a list someone had compiled of UCONN mentioned targets in an updated Top 150 list:

4 Cole Anthony
6 Precious Achiuwa
9 Jalen Lecque
20 Chol Marial
23 Aidan Igiehon
31 Kofi Cockburn
62 Lester Quinones
71 Jaiden Delaire
78 Anthony Harris
79 Joe Girard
92 Akok Akok
95 James Bouknight
97 Maxwell Lorca-LLoyd
106 Tre Mitchell
116 Sherif Kenney

It's an impressive list, but Hurley will find out for himself what type of weight the name "UCONN" still carries. They are certainly chasing some big fish out in Storrs.
That is an impressive 16 but UCONN has made offers to 38 recruits for 2019. So there are another 22 below the published top 150. Remember Dan has his own top 150. Paul Mulcahy was clearly on Dan’s top 150 but isn’t listed above.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhody83 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:I attached this list in the previous UCONN thread, but this is just the list of Top 150 targets Hurley/UCONN are after for 2019:

4 Cole Anthony
6 Precious Achiuwa
9 Jalen Lecque
20 Chol Marial
23 Aidan Igiehon
31 Kofi Cockburn
62 Lester Quinones
71 Jaiden Delaire
78 Anthony Harris
79 Joe Girard
92 Akok Akok
95 James Bouknight
97 Maxwell Lorca-LLoyd
106 Tre Mitchell
116 Sherif Kenney

That is an impressive 16 but UCONN has made offers to 38 recruits for 2019. So there are another 22 below the published top 150. Remember Dan has his own top 150. Paul Mulcahy was clearly on Dan’s top 150 but isn’t listed above.
Mulcahy actually was on the above list, but I did omit his name now that he is off-the-board. I know one player above that they have really prioritized is Lester Quinones:

"About his recruitment, Quinones said, “Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Georgetown, St. John’s, Seton Hall, Virginia, Oregon have all been making me a priority.” Another school that has clearly made Quinones a priority is Connecticut. New Coach Danny Hurley wants to bring the Huskies back by recruiting at a high level in the Northeast, and Quinones is a key priority for them. “Coach (Kimani) Young was recruiting me at Minnesota, and he has just continued that since he got to Connecticut,” said Quinones of the Huskies. “Also Coach Hurley used to coach at St. Benedict’s, so I have familiarity with them.”

If there is some interest with major recruits, I think you have to at least invest some time to see if you even have a shot. I'm sure of the names listed above, there are some that UCONN doesn't go far after (thinking someone like Chol Marial off the top of my head).
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DH is a strong recruiter and will land a few names on that list I would bet. Be interesting to see how this pans out
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Jarvis and Stan Instagram videos today from the UCONN practice facility. Didn’t like seeing that.
Stan’s pic had message “ tell coach I am here” - I thought that was funny.
0 x