All things Dan Hurley/UCONN THREAD

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: All things Dan Hurley/UCONN THREAD

Unread post by bigappleram »

Funny enough I coached Emmett in AAU in NYC. Good kid but yeah I don't think the writer did his homework on the newcomers and their projected impact.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCONN and Dan Hurley with the #5 Ranked Recruiting Class announced in the early signing period.

5. UConn Huskies
Top commit: PG Stephon Castle (No. 23)
Previous ranking: 5

Dan Hurley and his staff did their work early in the 2023 class, securing five commitments before the end of September. The first commitment was the best of the group: top-25 point guard Stephon Castle. Castle possesses great size at 6-6 and is an excellent passer and decision-maker with the ball in his hands. Two other ESPN 100 prospects in the class are Solomon Ball and Jaylin Stewart. Ball was one of the best scorers on the Nike EYBL circuit, while Stewart was highly efficient and productive in the spring and summer and brings plenty of versatility. Four-star wing Jayden Ross is an intriguing long-term prospect, and 7-foot center Youssouf Singare provides a defensive anchor 5. UConn Huskies

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... 25-classes
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It’s a really talented group. Castle has a chance to be a McDonald’s All American. Solo is playing on a loaded team at Brewster. Stewart may be one of the most underrated guys in the ‘23 class. Singare’s offense is raw, but he has the type of defense they like and is great on a roster with Clingan. Ross might be a bit of a project, but he transferred to LuHi and will benefit from the bump in competition.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Impressive win for UConn against Oregon 83-59 yesterday.

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Oh wow should be a great game !!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

This is probably the most dangerous UConn offense since before Ollie. They can kill from everywhere.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Even though I am not a UConn fan, I must give credit where credit is due.

Hurley has done a masterful job of putting this roster together.

After losing Cole, Martin, Whaley, and Polley, I thought it would take a little time for this team to regroup.
Dan adds Newton, Alleyne, Calcaterra, and Diarra from the portal.
Plus, some of the young players Hawkins, Karaban, and Clingan have been huge for them.

After winning the Knight Inv. they deserve a top 10 ranking.

Also to Hurley's credit he understands there will probably be several departures and ends up signing a top 5 class with 5 highly ranked recruits.

Rothstein was correct in calling Dan Hurley a carpenter.

I know this season is still early and haven't started conference play yet, but this will be the year UConn under Hurley gets its first NCAAT win and probably makes a deep run.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yup, was only a matter of time until Hurley had a roster like this.

Nobody should be surprised.
2 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Even though I am not a UConn fan, I must give credit where credit is due.

Hurley has done a masterful job of putting this roster together.

After losing Cole, Martin, Whaley, and Polley, I thought it would take a little time for this team to regroup.
Dan adds Newton, Alleyne, Calcaterra, and Diarra from the portal.
Plus, some of the young players Hawkins, Karaban, and Clingan have been huge for them.

After winning the Knight Inv. they deserve a top 10 ranking.

Also to Hurley's credit he understands there will probably be several departures and ends up signing a top 5 class with 5 highly ranked recruits.

Rothstein was correct in calling Dan Hurley a carpenter.

I know this season is still early and haven't started conference play yet, but this will be the year UConn under Hurley gets its first NCAAT win and probably makes a deep run.
I am not a Uconn fan either but I am a huge fan of DH for what he did for us so I am pulling for him

# 8 now wow

The frosh 7 footer won the tournament MVP
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Big game tonight as #5 UCONN looks to go undefeated in OOC emerging Conference play.

UCONN favored by 4.5 points but ESPN shows Florida 62.8% probability of winning???

UCONN could move up to #4 with #2 Texas having lost last night to Illinois

#4 Purdue hosts Hofstra tonight and plays @ Nebraska Saturday

If Purdue stumbles UCONN could move up to #3 in Mondays Poll

#1 Houston hosts North Carolina A&T next week and #3 Virginia is off for exams until they both play Dec 17 @ UVA which could be #1 vs #2 by then. HUUUGGGEE!
39E3A561-0D13-4E53-B435-FC0E25954B90.png
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I continue to not like UConn as an institution, but I’m rooting hard for Dan. When he left here I said I thought he’d eventually win a national championship at UConn. He’s getting pretty close to threatening to do that already. Only a matter of time.
7 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCONN, only a 37% chance to win @ Florida by ESPN Predictor blows out Florida by 21
Kyle Lofton 21 scoreless minutes for Florida on 0-5 shooting
UCONN goes to 10-0 with the impressive road win in Gainesville
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The ESPN predictor is obviously broken. UConn was favored in the game, and I don’t think anyone (including Florida players and coaches) thought Florida was a threat to win the game.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago The ESPN predictor is obviously broken. UConn was favored in the game, and I don’t think anyone (including Florida players and coaches) thought Florida was a threat to win the game.
Maybe so, I pointed out that oddity yesterday, even before last nights game, but bottom line Hurley and Company crushed the point spread, further strengthening UCOnN’s NET which is already 2nd only to Houston.
UCONN making a lot of noise and daring towards being #1 Ranked Nationally
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace wrote: 2 years ago Sometimes the internet doesn’t suck… I’m piecing this story together kind of backwards, but it seems like this guy posted on a UConn message board about his 14 year old daughter who has cancer and is very, very sick. The family lives in Florida and wanted to put together a trip to New York for her to see UConn play in the BE tournament. The dad asked if anyone could put them in contact with the UConn AD or anyone who could help. Information got shared, money was donated, and the family got to see the Friday game. Then, the father says that Dan and Andrea invited the family to the selection show party with the team on Sunday. I can’t imagine going through what that family is, but it seems like they were able to put together some really nice family memories.

Follow up to this- Aubrien sadly passed away in June at the age of 15. Her family and the team got to meet up again when UConn played at Florida on Wednesday.

4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 1 year ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago Sometimes the internet doesn’t suck… I’m piecing this story together kind of backwards, but it seems like this guy posted on a UConn message board about his 14 year old daughter who has cancer and is very, very sick. The family lives in Florida and wanted to put together a trip to New York for her to see UConn play in the BE tournament. The dad asked if anyone could put them in contact with the UConn AD or anyone who could help. Information got shared, money was donated, and the family got to see the Friday game. Then, the father says that Dan and Andrea invited the family to the selection show party with the team on Sunday. I can’t imagine going through what that family is, but it seems like they were able to put together some really nice family memories.

Follow up to this- Aubrien sadly passed away in June at the age of 15. Her family and the team got to meet up again when UConn played at Florida on Wednesday.

Very emotional and inspirational, thanks for posting, Ace.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

#1 Houston loses to #8 Alabama
Could enable UCONN to move up close to #1 having won at Florida this week and blowing out LIU today.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Undefeated in the OOC schedule, 11-0. Their best wins were against Oregon, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Florida, and Alabama. Conference play starts this week.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

#3 AP

#1 Kenpom
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago #3 AP

#1 Kenpom
DH getting it done.

Those leg-humpers have to be latched on to his leg pretty damn tight right about now. He will be dragging them around the rest of the season.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Danny is really getting it done this season.
They are playing at a much higher level than their competition.
I must say, I didn't expect them to be this good and have so much depth this season.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

A long season ahead, but it’s been fun to watch so far. It’s a roster of incredibly good players and people. It feels like a Hurley team. The guys are so committed to each other and winning, and Dan’s said a few times that the group reminds him a lot of his last Rhody team in that regard. Jarvis is pretty much his favorite example of toughness and unselfishness, he loves that dude!

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ace wrote: 1 year ago A long season ahead, but it’s been fun to watch so far. It’s a roster of incredibly good players and people. It feels like a Hurley team. The guys are so committed to each other and winning, and Dan’s said a few times that the group reminds him a lot of his last Rhody team in that regard. Jarvis is pretty much his favorite example of toughness and unselfishness, he loves that dude!

Wow really good stat and they played some tough competition too

I was hoping Purdue would lose to Davidson so Uconn would be #1

It will be cool to have a coach that went from coaching URI to coaching a #1 ranked team in the country
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
ace wrote: 1 year ago A long season ahead, but it’s been fun to watch so far. It’s a roster of incredibly good players and people. It feels like a Hurley team. The guys are so committed to each other and winning, and Dan’s said a few times that the group reminds him a lot of his last Rhody team in that regard. Jarvis is pretty much his favorite example of toughness and unselfishness, he loves that dude!

Wow really good stat and they played some tough competition too

I was hoping Purdue would lose to Davidson so Uconn would be #1

It will be cool to have a coach that went from coaching URI to coaching a #1 ranked team in the country
I get that Reef but it was so much better having a coach who won a National Championship come to URI and get us to the Elite 8.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Now four losses in their last five games for UConn, including a double-digit home loss to a pretty average St. John's team this afternoon. Haven't watched a ton, but it appears the Huskies haven't been that interested in playing defense over the past few weeks.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Are the fans souring on DH @ all or just a mid season slump ??
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Fans were leaving early with about 2 minutes to go and St. Johns with a big lead at the XL Center
It was the 1st time St. Johns beat UConn at the XL Center since 1988.
I think Gampel has a bigger home-court advantage.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 1 year ago Are the fans souring on DH @ all or just a mid season slump ??
Looking at their board (Boneyard), I think the feelings from the fans are mixed.
They started a thread blaming the defense on this current slump.

UConn fans want to compete for national championships, just getting an NCAAT bid is not enough.
Their expectations are much different than ours.
Several are disappointed that after 4 seasons no NCAAT wins.

On the plus side this is the year they should go deep in the tournament.
They have talent, depth, and a good mix of veterans and youth.
Also, Hurley has a top 5 recruiting class for 2023.

I expect Dan to have a long and successful career at UConn.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Hurls with some interesting observations on transfers. While it's always been about the money, now that it's a free enterprise free-for-all (not that there's anything wrong with that), this is what we get...

“There's a lot more going on in dealing with these guys,” Hurley said. “I think the hard thing is, if the season isn't going exactly the way a player would want at this point of the year, and they know there's outs in a couple months, sometimes they give in a little bit. All programs are dealing with that. I think that's why you see some of these performances that are uncharacteristic of teams that have looked great early on.”

https://www.ctinsider.com/sports/uconn- ... 719509.php

Not necessarily new, but, more obvious, and why the coach now has to be a GM, too... there needs to be some kind of name for it, like, maybe "eyes on a different prize" or "all 50% in" or, oh, I know, "checkout period" (hmm...why does that sound familiar...?)

"Yeah, he started the season strong, then went through his checkout period near the end of conference play, where we typically see that in the beginning of conference play, but he seems to be back on track now. We just need to make sure that the players all individually have had their checkout periods before the conference tournament, but you can't always synchronize these things the way you want to ...you know, human nature and all..."

I think coaches at every level are going to have to deal with that dip, but Hurls is right - "The way you add value to your career is by continuing to find ways to help your team win”.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Not sure I understand the dip NYG.
Is the check out period mean the player is checking out other school transfer opportunities (grass always greener) so the player is not as focused as normal? (Pre NIL, pre easy transfer with immediate eligibility)

Not sure why Hurley would mention this to possibly explain his teams slump? But is not the opponent going thru the same thing so all is even?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Not sure I understand the dip NYG.
Is the check out period mean the player is checking out other school transfer opportunities (grass always greener) so the player is not as focused as normal? (Pre NIL, pre easy transfer with immediate eligibility)

Not sure why Hurley would mention this to possibly explain his teams slump? But is not the opponent going thru the same thing so all is even?
Just my definition...checks out mentally, with visions of sugarpl, er, other school possibilities dancing in a non-focused blur in their heads. Player may appear to be checked out, disconnected, yes, not as focused as normal. I'd guess Hurls has been thinking it for a while, and it's hitting now with his best team ever. Mentioning it, could be another string Dan's trying to pull...I don't hate it....we'll see

Yes, the opponents go through the same thing, but, per my post above, depends on how their cycles line up....could impact some teams more now, others could be impacted more a week from now....
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

"When 15th-ranked Connecticut plays at Seton Hall (6:30 p.m., Fox Sports 1) it will mark the first time two former Big East players with the same alma mater will face off as Big East head coaches."

1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

When does the boneyard start a Kevin Ollie 2.0 thread? (Sorry, I keed I keed).
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

So...no "history" tonight....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great game. Huge offensive rebound with 2 seconds left
67-66 Seton Hall wins it
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Seton Hall biggest lead was 1
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Ooph. That’s rough.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I watched some the game between the leg humpers and Butler. It looks like DH has them back on track. Although, that was a pretty bad Butler team they played today so I don’t know for sure.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Butler is such a better fit in the A10. I honestly don't see them being able to be anything more than a mid tier program (at best) in the BE. They aren't jumping Uconn, Nova, PC, Marquette, Creighton in terms of recruiting. They would be perennial contenders in the A10 seems like such a better fit for them (minus that pesky TV money from Fox).
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Butler is such a better fit in the A10. I honestly don't see them being able to be anything more than a mid tier program (at best) in the BE. They aren't jumping Uconn, Nova, PC, Marquette, Creighton in terms of recruiting. They would be perennial contenders in the A10 seems like such a better fit for them (minus that pesky TV money from Fox).
Bar, you must read minds. That is exactly what I was thinking yesterday. As a basketball program, I don’t see them being consistently competing and winning at a high level in the NBE for basketball (obviously, it’s successful for them financially, though). Consistently, being the key word for me.

I don’t see the attractions for high level recruits/transfers other than to play in the NBE (there are other NBE programs and programs in plenty of other conferences that can provide that or better), the brand, the buzz.

I can envision them becoming another DePaul, or slightly better, in the NBE; good once in awhile but regularly mediocre to bad in conf.

Plus, they are dwarfed in Indiana by IU, Purdue, ND. They are not the Brad Stevens Butler teams anymore.

Maybe, they get another young, up and coming Brad Stevens type coach that gets them back to consistently good for awhile? Anything is possible, I guess.

Just another cursory opinion, fwiw, for cannon fodder on another off day for Rhody.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Butler is such a better fit in the A10. I honestly don't see them being able to be anything more than a mid tier program (at best) in the BE. They aren't jumping Uconn, Nova, PC, Marquette, Creighton in terms of recruiting. They would be perennial contenders in the A10 seems like such a better fit for them (minus that pesky TV money from Fox).
I think Thad Matta is capable of doing well with Butler in the BE.
Believe me they would never want to trade places for the A10.

Remember not so long-ago Butler not only competed but went to the NCAAT championship finals in 2010 and 2011 in a smaller mid-major conference.
Also, since joining the BE in 2013-2014 they went to the NCAAT 4 times and won 5 games plus a Sweet 16.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey, of course they wouldn’t leave the NBE - just for financial reasons alone. What is debatable is can they consistently compete in the top 5 of the NBE, for NBE regular season and NBE championships in mbb?

Being in the NBE gives them the opportunity to be good on the court periodically, I think. But imo, I don’t see it happening consistently. But then, I am not a cbb expert. Only time will tell.

Also, their most successful period came under Brad Stevens over the 5-6 years he was there and while they were still in the Horizon League. The Horizon does not have the caliber of programs nor the program competitiveness of the NBE. Not a shot at Brad because I think he is a top level college coach that took an average program to heights beyond their imagination.

Their best Big East record since starting play in ‘13 is 12-6. They did that twice. Overall the record to date is 81-95.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Jersey, of course they wouldn’t leave the NBE - just for financial reasons alone. What is debatable is can they consistently compete in the top 5 of the NBE, for NBE regular season and NBE championships in mbb?

Being in the NBE gives them the opportunity to be good on the court periodically, I think. But imo, I don’t see it happening consistently. But then, I am not a cbb expert. Only time will tell.

Also, their most successful period came under Brad Stevens over the 5-6 years he was there and while they were still in the Horizon League. The Horizon does not have the program competitiveness of the NBE. Not a shot at Brad because I think he is a top level college coach that took an average program to heights beyond their imagination.

Their best Big East record since starting play in ‘13 is 12-6. They did that twice. Overall the record to date is 81-95.
There is no reason to doubt that Thad Matta can't have Butler competing in the BE.
Why not, he did well previously at Butler, then Xavier, and at Ohio State.
Butler also has a decent basketball reputation.

Regardless, if they can get at-large bids and win games in the NCAAT, who cares.
They get all that BE revenue and national exposure.

Yes, and with that thought process, maybe we can drop down and be perennial contenders in the AEC, MEAC, CAA, or the Patriot league.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I don't really see Butler as substantially all that different from Providence, or Georgetown, in terms of overall potential. They would have made the tournament in 2019-20 - they were ranked #23 in the final AP poll. Jordan got fired after two sub .500 seasons, so Matta strikes me as being in a position similar to Archie Miller. The current AP Top 25 includes Houston, Gonzaga, the College of Charleston, St. Mary's, Florida Atlantic and New Mexico, teams without the advantage of being in the Big East when it comes to recruiting, so I think Butler has as much potential as anyone to be good. I think it's only an issue if the administration (equivalent to ownership in pro sports) sucks, in which case you have schools in long-term funks, like Fordham, DePaul, etc.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago I don't really see Butler as substantially all that different from Providence, or Georgetown, in terms of overall potential. They would have made the tournament in 2019-20 - they were ranked #23 in the final AP poll. Jordan got fired after two sub .500 seasons, so Matta strikes me as being in a position similar to Archie Miller. The current AP Top 25 includes Houston, Gonzaga, the College of Charleston, St. Mary's, Florida Atlantic and New Mexico, teams without the advantage of being in the Big East when it comes to recruiting, so I think Butler has as much potential as anyone to be good. I think it's only an issue if the administration (equivalent to ownership in pro sports) sucks, in which case you have schools in long-term funks, like Fordham, DePaul, etc.
Yes SG, I think Butler fits the BE mold.
They are a small private university in the city, and they make geographic sense.
Plus, they have a good basketball reputation.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Jersey, of course they wouldn’t leave the NBE - just for financial reasons alone. What is debatable is can they consistently compete in the top 5 of the NBE, for NBE regular season and NBE championships in mbb?

Also, their most successful period came under Brad Stevens over the 5-6 years he was there and while they were still in the Horizon League. The Horizon does not have the program competitiveness of the NBE. Not a shot at Brad because I think he is a top level college coach that took an average program to heights beyond their imagination.

There is no reason to doubt that Thad Matta can't have Butler competing in the BE.
Why not, he did well previously at Butler, then Xavier, and at Ohio State.
Butler also has a decent basketball reputation.

Regardless, if they can get at-large bids and win games in the NCAAT, who cares.
They get all that BE revenue and national exposure.

Yes, and with that thought process, maybe we can drop down and be perennial contenders in the AEC, MEAC, CAA, or the Patriot league.
I agree with you to a point. And, Thad is a good coach. But where we differ is in regards to consistency. Time will tell if Thad can pull it off consistently.

That said, this is too much NBE discussion for me. I am getting nauseous.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago I don't really see Butler as substantially all that different from Providence, or Georgetown, in terms of overall potential. They would have made the tournament in 2019-20 - they were ranked #23 in the final AP poll. Jordan got fired after two sub .500 seasons, so Matta strikes me as being in a position similar to Archie Miller. The current AP Top 25 includes Houston, Gonzaga, the College of Charleston, St. Mary's, Florida Atlantic and New Mexico, teams without the advantage of being in the Big East when it comes to recruiting, so I think Butler has as much potential as anyone to be good. I think it's only an issue if the administration (equivalent to ownership in pro sports) sucks, in which case you have schools in long-term funks, like Fordham, DePaul, etc.
PC and Georgetown have been major conference programs for 40 years. Butler was a really good mid major for 3/4ths of that time. If Brad Stephens doesn’t have that 2 year run they are never invited to the BE. They just seem better fit being one of the best mid majors but obv money talks and no one is walking from the BE opportunity. Duh. We will see if Matta can get them to the top of the league but that is a steep steep hill from where they are now. Makes our climb look like nothing.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Really good article.

2 x