‘19 F Anthony Walker (Miami ---> Indiana)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: ‘19 MD F Anthony Walker (Offer)

Unread post by Rhody83 »

A few things on Pitt/Capel. Usually when a coach gets hired in April they focus on the recruiting class that is 1 1/2 years away (20s). Both Hurley and Capel said as much when they were hired. Hurley is doing remarkable job with the 19 class. That isn’t typical. Hurley had an advantage of already recruiting some of these players as a HC (Bouknight for instance). Capel is starting new as a HC and is going after different targets than he was at Duke.

I think it hurts Pitt is no other recruit has committed by the time Walker makes his decision. It will be harder to convince Walker that they are turning it around. Who is he coming with to start the rebuild?
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago A few things on Pitt/Capel. Usually when a coach gets hired in April they focus on the recruiting class that is 1 1/2 years away (20s). Both Hurley and Capel said as much when they were hired. Hurley is doing remarkable job with the 19 class. That isn’t typical. Hurley had an advantage of already recruiting some of these players as a HC (Bouknight for instance). Capel is starting new as a HC and is going after different targets than he was at Duke.

I think it hurts Pitt is no other recruit has committed by the time Walker makes his decision. It will be harder to convince Walker that they are turning it around. Who is he coming with to start the rebuild?
I think you can debate the first point. If Capel strikes out on both Walker and Wahab the Pitt AD and leadership will not be pleased. You would also think someone with the Duke pedigree at a P5 school should be able to outshine a mid-major. Just doesn't seem to add up.
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

bkoeppen wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago A few things on Pitt/Capel. Usually when a coach gets hired in April they focus on the recruiting class that is 1 1/2 years away (20s). Both Hurley and Capel said as much when they were hired. Hurley is doing remarkable job with the 19 class. That isn’t typical. Hurley had an advantage of already recruiting some of these players as a HC (Bouknight for instance). Capel is starting new as a HC and is going after different targets than he was at Duke.

I think you can debate the first point. If Capel strikes out on both Walker and Wahab the Pitt AD and leadership will not be pleased. You would also think someone with the Duke pedigree at a P5 school should be able to outshine a mid-major. Just doesn't seem to add up.
What kind of Rhody fan talks like this? Does not add up that a player might choose a mid major over a P5 school that did not win a game last year? Really? Comments like this along with your constant posts about any crystal ball pick for a school other than Rhody makes me question whether you are a Rhody fan at all.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

All this high major or mid major talk is bs. URI has been a top 30 program the last two years. That is clearly high major territory, now it’s up to Walker if he wants to take a program even higher.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

How do people keep breaking these threads? Don’t touch anything between the [ ] brackets please.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

4Diffs wrote: 5 years ago
bkoeppen wrote: 5 years ago

What kind of Rhody fan talks like this? Does not add up that a player might choose a mid major over a P5 school that did not win a game last year? Really? Comments like this along with your constant posts about any crystal ball pick for a school other than Rhody makes me question whether you are a Rhody fan at all.
you completely took what I said out of context. I meant that I think we might be in good shape even though the "experts" say he is going to Pitt. I'm making an argument that with all the supposed advantages Pitt has (facilities, top conference, more exposure), they still haven't been able to lock any recruit, not just Walker. And it's not like they are looking at top 25 talent either, which again to my point, is a bigger problem that Pitt may have for years.

your crystal ball comment makes no sense - i'm simply reporting what I see on sites which many other folks here do. Whether you like it or not crystal ball predictions are a good gauge of where people are going (bishop).

i'm as a big of a rhody fan as anyone else on this board, but just trying make fair points.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Jesus, man. I'm trying to watch a baseball game. Mess up the quoting thing and break the thread again, you'll go to timeout. Do not touch anything in [ ] brackets.
2 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

If we can land Walker, all naysayers on this board would have nothing left to say!
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago If we can land Walker, all naysayers on this board would have nothing left to say!
CT, I’m not a naysayer, but I’m also content moving forward without him.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Agreed, landing Walker would be fantastic

But having either Walker or McLeod would make this class great. In my opinion as it stands it’s still pretty good with the three verbals but from some of the KBers on here we are not done which is great to hear. Thank you to DC Rams, Rhody83 and others that provide insight into the recruiting
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I want Walker as much as anyone, but at this point if he wants to come to URI than he will. If he doesn’t it will be disappointing to be so close to getting a difference maker similiar to what we were with Bishop, but we need to move forward and concentrate on getting McLeod. I think Hammond will be a very good replacement to Bishop with a similar style.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago I want Walker as much as anyone, but at this point if he wants to come to URI than he will. If he doesn’t it will be disappointing to be so close to getting a difference maker similiar to what we were with Bishop, but we need to move forward and concentrate on getting McLeod. I think Hammond will be a very good replacement to Bishop with a similar style.
I would point out that the staff hasn’t lost focus on either recruit, to Rhody83 point they are still not out on Walker and I know I’m in no position to be suggesting who to be focusing on haha. Cox and staff have over 35 years experience and have positioned themselves well with both Walker and McLeod
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Time for everybody to sit back and watch this staff work, two more priority targets to go! Let’s get this done!
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Walker IG story watching Miami FB vs FSU.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_RI any update on Walker from your end?
0 x
DC_URI
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by DC_URI »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago DC_RI any update on Walker from your end?

????
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

He’s asking any update from Mom or AAU contacts of where he is leaning after Miami visit. Still Pitt and Rhody the two favorites?
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Maybe the question marks meant u don’t know, sorry I have a fever and am struggling today
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 5 years ago He’s asking any update from Mom or AAU contacts of where he is leaning after Miami visit. Still Pitt and Rhody the two favorites?
Wondering if you are hearing about any change. DC_Ram’s post seem less positive in the last two days regarding URI’s position with Walker.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

wpbrown8267 wrote: 5 years ago Maybe the question marks meant u don’t know, sorry I have a fever and am struggling today
I think it was because he got his handle wrong.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Funny video from Pitt MBB. Trying to change the culture I guess. Not sure it fits a 0-18 team though.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I feel like maybe you’re off a year with this. Yes, you have to build relationships, but he didn’t wait around on the ‘13 class when he got to URI (early commits from Matthews, Martin). Both had to recruit a late ‘18 class and that was the one Hurley made quick work of, with a likely solid 4 year guy and 2 guys who only give them a year each and then free up space. Capel spent a lot of time getting some guys to reclassify to the ‘18 class. Those guys potentially take up 4 years of a scholarship, and I’m not sure any of those guys are going to be worth that extra investment of recruiting time.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

When Dan was first hired he talked about focusing on the class of ‘20. He mentioned that relationships need to be established with the players early. He may have been building in some cushion for their recruiting results with the ‘19 class. Getting anything worthwhile for ‘18 when you get hired in April is a crapshoot.

It’s early in the commitment cycle but Dan has delivered two good Guards and is in a good position with several top front court players for ‘19. Capel not so much - no signings and active with Walker and Wahab.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Walker in attendance for Miami FB “comeback for the ages” against FSU. Down 27-7 Miami wins 28-27. Walker’s IG story shows the celebration.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/re ... =401013141
0 x
DC_URI
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by DC_URI »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 5 years ago He’s asking any update from Mom or AAU contacts of where he is leaning after Miami visit. Still Pitt and Rhody the two favorites?
My Aau contact told me that the uri staff know what’s going on. I cant reach the main guy but one of the guy believe URI staff know what is going on..
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

DC_URI wrote: 5 years ago
My Aau contact told me that the uri staff know what’s going on. I cant reach the main guy but one of the guy believe URI staff know what is going on..
So tell us what is going on? If it is bad news, let it rip. Nothing will be more of a kick in the gonads than the Bishop situation.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don't think anyone really knows where he is going

In the end it's going to come down to an 18 year old kid making a decision where he wants to play college hoops at

Let's hope he picks URI if not we move on

Corny video BTW
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Problem is playing time with Walker imo…...how much he gets here could depend on this seasons new players, at least at the beginning...

At Pitt he'd get all the PT he wants.....but no NCAA trips for a while for that program.....unlike here.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

If he is as good as advertised, and progresses this year, PT should not be an issue.
Walker needs to have that level of confidence and just go to the place that feels like home.

Is there any highlight video of his Summer AAU at all?
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

An educated guess is his playing time would be in the 20-22 min range his Fr year and then jump to 28-30 min range Soph year and on. Most bigmen don’t play over 28-30 mins.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

There aren’t any free highlight videos from his summer AAU. If you have a subscription to Baller.TV you can watch his games thst are recorded. The most recent free video is highlights from his Jr HS season - link below.
I have seen him live this summer and watched the rest of his AAU games on Baller.TV.

0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Haha, an overwhelming 86% gave the thumbs down on his IG when asked how he looks with a canes jersey on
1 x
DC_URI
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by DC_URI »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 5 years ago Haha, an overwhelming 86% gave the thumbs down on his IG when asked how he looks with a canes jersey on
Common man 79% gave thumbs up and 19% thumbs down....
0 x
DC_URI
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by DC_URI »

reef wrote: 5 years ago I don't think anyone really knows where he is going

In the end it's going to come down to an 18 year old kid making a decision where he wants to play college hoops at

Corny video BTW
The kid is onl 17 years old
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

wpbrown8267 wrote: 5 years ago Haha, an overwhelming 86% gave the thumbs down on his IG when asked how he looks with a canes jersey on
Common man 79% gave thumbs up and 19% thumbs down....
There was two IG, I guessed I missed the other one. The one I caught this morning was 86% thumbs down

C’mon man right back at ya!
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

reef wrote: 5 years ago I don't think anyone really knows where he is going

Corny video BTW
The kid is onl 17 years old
I think Reef was just saying 18 since he’s a kid, I’m not sure why he needed to be corrected. He was talking more in generalities
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm more interested in what DC_URI is hearing about Walker than how old he is...but that's just me.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Yup, me too
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Hearing UM is the new favorite.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If I were him, and wanted the bright lights, choosing between Miami and Pitt would be a no brainer.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Gotta wonder about the investigation.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I can't imagine his mother being crazy about a city with such a high crime rate.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago I can't imagine his mother being crazy about a city with such a high crime rate.
She’s from Baltimore. Home of “The Wire”.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago I can't imagine his mother being crazy about a city with such a high crime rate.
She’s from Baltimore. Home of “The Wire”.
Exactly. A chance to get her son out of the city.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I’m not sure that will play much into their decision when choosing a university.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I can only hope...
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Chance of him coming here is very unlikely. Very.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

The last place you have seen is fresh in your mind and always seems better.
Here's to hoping he and his mom sit down and discuss the pluses and minuses of each school.
(including the amount of 'distractions' and the impending NCAA investigation that could ultimately remove the coach).
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Hearing UM is the new favorite.
He’ll go to VCU and then I’m sure he’ll sit with his inner circle and go over all the pluses and minuses of each university. FBI investigations and NCAA penalties I’m sure will be part of the conversation when it comes to Miami so we’ll see.

Any chance Miami gets another commitment essentially maxing our their scholarships or limiting his playing time possibilities?
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Maybe a well timed visit by a group of Rhody coaches to young
Skywalker to point out the Pitfalls of the DARK SIDE of Miami is in order.
0 x