‘19 F Anthony Walker (Miami ---> Indiana)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Re: ‘19 MD F Anthony Walker (Offer)

Unread post by RamStock »

CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Hearing UM is the new favorite.
He’ll go to VCU and then I’m sure he’ll sit with his inner circle and go over all the pluses and minuses of each university. FBI investigations and NCAA penalties I’m sure will be part of the conversation when it comes to Miami so we’ll see.

Any chance Miami gets another commitment essentially maxing our their scholarships or limiting his playing time possibilities?
Does it matter? We are technically maxed out and still recruiting. It would only be if it was someone from the same exact position. Miami is more likely to have someone leave early to play professionally also meaning this won’t be a factor.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

giovanni wrote: 5 years ago
It sounds like it will be between Miami, Pitt and URI. I guess our best shot is that we have been on him from the beginning and followed him prior to moving up in the rankings. It sounds like he enjoyed the coaches, players and experience at URI. I would think that if I were him and I didn’t go to URI it would make sense for him to choose Miami. If he wants the bigger school and conference than it should be easy for him unless Capel made that much of an impact.
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

giovanni wrote: 5 years ago
forget college basketball, he should be a poker player - impossible to tell where he is leaning.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Sidenote...I like the Hurricanes jerseys. GO RHODY
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The biggest item that I got out of the article was.
As for a timeline, Walker plans to make a decision after the VCU visit “at the end of the month.”
Last edited by Rhody83 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

A little confused by the one-and-done comment from the VCU paragraph... is he insinuating that he’s going pro? Seems to have a high opinion of his skills. Hope he comes to URI and backs that up.
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

Update on Walker: Evans implies it's a two man race with Pitt and Miami - no real new news here.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... n-unc-more
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He’s not choosing URI.
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Well that sucks. Poor VCU, ruled out before he even makes the official visit.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

4Diffs wrote: 5 years ago Well that sucks. Poor VCU, ruled out before he even makes the official visit.
They have to get McLeod if this is true. If they can’t him than it really is going to be a 3 man class. I would rather leave a spot open for a transfer or something to develop than getting Somerville. He is a small school type talent that will fill Layssards spot on the bench
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago He’s not choosing URI.
Could this change between now and decision day? I still think we are the best fit and place for him long term. Hopefully he starts to see that too.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

You guys are too doom and gloom.
Nothing in there says he isn't going to visit VCU (it actually says the opposite) or that he is isn't picking URI.
This writer is a guy that caters to P5 schools just like ESPN does. It is in his best interest.

I still have hope that we will get McLeod and Walker. Although is has gotten kind of quiet on the Walker front...
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Could this change between now and decision day? I still think we are the best fit and place for him long term. Hopefully he starts to see that too.
No. Start the acceptance process now bud.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think if you read between the lines, Walker seems to be looking for something that is different than what kids choose URI for. Our profile right now is for kids that are looking for fit, culture, opportunity to contribute on a good team pretty much right away. I don’t want this to sound how it’s going to sound, but there isn’t really a way around it: a kid in Walker’s situation would have to have a certain level of maturity to pick URI, and I get the impression that Walker probably does not have that. I agree with you that URI is probably the best place for him, where he can come in and get a role on a potential second weekend team next year and then be a centerpiece on good teams the rest of his career, in a situation where everyone in the program is happy to be there and the kids stay out of trouble and graduate. But he’s talking about one-and-done and seems to be conducting his recruitment as a contest of who has the biggest football stadium. The reality is that for kids who want to run it that way (and there are many, and it’s fheir right to do it), we probably won’t win out much and the kids probably aren’t the right fit for us, anyways. There is a bit of social Darwinism in terms of the types of players/kids we end up with. If a kid that solely wants the highest profile school that offers him, if he picks us then how good is he anyways? We want kids attracted to the culture, kids that visit the campus and fall in love with it, kids that spend the weekend with the team and immediately feel at home with them. If that’s not Walker, so be it. If he does end up going with us in an upset, I’ll be happy to admit I was wrong.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodyblue12
ARD

The bright lights of P5 schools are distracting, but they may fade when he gets home and thinks it through.
If he was that star struck by UM, he would have verbally committed already.
I too, could be wrong however...

The good part about URI is that - with him - we'd be finished recruiting. He knows what is here.
Pitt and UM could accept his verbal and recruit over him in the same class next week.

(added bold for clarity)
Last edited by rhodyblue12 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 5 years ago The bright lights of P5 schools are distracting, but they may fade when he gets home and thinks it through.
If he was that star struck by UM, he would have verbally committed already.
I too, could be wrong however...

The good part about URI is that we are finished recruiting. He knows what is here.
Pitt and UM could accept his verbal and recruit over him in the same class next week.
He’s always said he would go on all his visits. The schools will still have a spot for him when he’s ready to commit. They have a ton of room for him.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

What if this was the situation - what would you do? I am not saying that this is definitely the case.

Walker wants to go to all of his visits and make a decision around Oct 26-30.
Walker is scheduled to visit VCU Oct 19-21.
Rhody is currently one of three schools in the running for Walker and VCU could get added after their visit.

Rhody has one scholarship spot left.

McLeod is coming to Kingston Oct 18-20 for his third visit.
McLeod is scheduled to go to Florida State Oct 26-28.
McLeod agrees to commit during his visit on Oct18-20.

Do you take the McLeod’s commitment on Oct 20th or do you wait for Walker’s decision and risk losing them both?
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think most UM commits verbal pretty quickly. It's either what you want or it isn't.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

DC Rams says Walker definitely isn't coming here. Might as well lock this.......maybe if Preston stays...
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago What if this was the situation - what would you do? I am not saying that this is definitely the case.

Walker wants to go to all of his visits and make a decision around Oct 26-30.
Walker is scheduled to visit VCU Oct 19-21.
Rhody is currently one of three schools in the running for Walker and VCU could get added after their visit.

Rhody has one scholarship spot left.

McLeod is coming to Kingston Oct 18-20 for his third visit.
McLeod is scheduled to go to Florida State Oct 26-28.
McLeod agrees to commit during his visit on Oct18-20.

Do you take the McLeod’s commitment on Oct 20th or do you wait for Walker’s decision and risk losing them both?
I would take McLeod's commitment and do it without hesitation.

No question Walker is talented but we'll have Langevine, Harris, Tate and Martin among others who can play in the front court. But we don't have anyone on our roster quite like McLeod.

Walker is gonna be a good to very good player. McLeod could be an impact difference maker.
3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I've seen this play out a million times. Walker is attracted to the bright lights. Take McLeod and move on.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago I've seen this play out a million times. Walker is attracted to the bright lights. Take McLeod and move on.
I agree. He likes the bright lights and will probably go to Miami, but to answer the earlier question you take the commitment and if Walker were to ever want to come they will find a spot for him also. You don't pass on top 100 players. They would figure something out.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Yes. Take both and figure it out.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 5 years ago Yes. Take both and figure it out.
Under this scenario that is not an option. It is easy to say take both.
Are you saying wait for Walker and have McLeod go on his visit to FSU?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Guys, let’s go pump up the McLeod thread. Lol
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

On a separate note, when some said to McLeod he could play in the NBA next week McLeod responded 4 years.
He seems more realistic than Walker (who made the one and done or two and done comment).
0 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

Lol it's crazy how twitter has made these kids think they're celebrities. Walker is only a 4 star one one website, and he thinks he's a 1 or 2 and done? Yikes
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

FattsAndFurious wrote: 5 years ago Lol it's crazy how twitter has made these kids think they're celebrities. Walker is only a 4 star one one website, and he thinks he's a 1 or 2 and done? Yikes
It is crazy. He is a top 100 recruit, not even top 50 which in a lot of cases doesn’t mean anything, but there have been some awesome college players that never even sniffed the pros. I would say that odds are against him in terms of the NBA even if he ends of being a very good college player.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

It is crazy. He is a top 100 recruit, not even top 50 which in a lot of cases doesn’t mean anything, but there have been some awesome college players that never even sniffed the pros. I would say that odds are against him in terms of the NBA even if he ends of being a very good college player.

Got to agree with RamStock
There are only 450 active players on NBA rosters at any given time. Even if they turn over 10% of their roster every year that only
allows for 45 players per year to have a shot. And lets remember the NCAA isn't the only source for talent. There is the D league and
all the international players. Odds are not good for most college players to land in the NBA. Good luck mister Walker. I wish only the
best for you and we would be happy to have you spend those 2 years In Kingston.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

He is 6'10 with perimeter skills, while I agree its crazy at this point to be talking one and done his body type and skill set do translate well to modern day NBA. And as Jim Harrick used to say "every kid think they are Michael Jordan, and every parent thinks they are better."
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

He is 6’8” not 6’10”. A big difference when it comes to the NBA. He could grow. Definitely a wing player in the pros.

The avg NBA career is 4.8 years so the 10% turnover seems low.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Noted, but not a big difference when you consider him a 3/wing player at the next level.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Put the eggs in MCLEOD basket sounds like AW not coming here
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Until a member of the staff or DC_URI says we are out, I will consider us still in.
I've been running potential lineups through my head for a month...not ready to give up hope.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 5 years ago Until a member of the staff or DC_URI says we are out, I will consider us still in.
I've been running potential lineups through my head for a month...not ready to give up hope.
You’re setting yourself up to be disappointed then.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
rhodyblue12 wrote: 5 years ago Until a member of the staff or DC_URI says we are out, I will consider us still in.
Maybe with the staff. I don’t think blue is recruiting
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Nah, love the staff. They have done great work. The rest is up to AW.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
Maybe with the staff. I don’t think blue is recruiting
Absolutely ZERO reason to be upset with the staff.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

The Pittsburgh basketball fans have even given up on getting Walker and are concerned they won’t get Wahab either. The Chrystal ball predictions are all switched to Miami and most reporters think that is where he is going also.
0 x
DC_URI
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by DC_URI »

I was told that URI made the choice to stop recruiting him after he didn’t commit during his official visit to Kingston. They reached out to him when MM verbal to tell him thank you they moving on.
I was also told that the mother was upset because she told her son to go to URI at that time after all his visits. And the staff just wasn’t respecting the family times table. So yes URI is out and it’s not AW choice it was URI choice...So stop bashing the kid.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

DC_URI wrote: 5 years ago
I was told that URI made the choice to stop recruiting him after he didn’t commit during his official visit to Kingston. They reached out to him when MM verbal to tell him thank you they moving on.
I was also told that the mother was upset because she told her son to go to URI at that time after all his visits. And the staff just wasn’t respecting the family times table. So yes URI is out and it’s not AW choice it was URI choice...So stop bashing the kid.
No way am I buying that. From what we have seen from URI under Cox they wouldn’t conduct themselves like that. This kind of talent isn’t told to move on from URI. We are not Duke and he would be hands down the best player of the class. Not even close.
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
No way am I buying that. From what we have seen from URI under Cox they wouldn’t conduct themselves like that. This kind of talent isn’t told to move on from URI. We are not Duke and he would be hands down the best player of the class. Not even close.
Yeah RamStock, I'm with you on this. no offense DC_URI but calling BS on this

Cox and crew do not pass on a top 100 talent, thats just not his style and they seem to have a good relationship with the mother and would not have this approach which could piss her off. I do think getting him will be tough and Miami is the front runner that is why we need to get a verbal from McLeod after Rhody Madness
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

also, who has been bashing him on this board???

Is it becasue some have said he likes the bright lights of a P5...

i think you're being a little sensitive
Last edited by wpbrown8267 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Especially since we are apparently still waiting on McLeod. I have a hard time buying that we told Walker the door is closed.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Interesting. If this is true it tells me that the potential 5 man recruiting class is fantasy. The only way the staff would push a guy like Walker for a decision and then move on would be if recruiting spots were truly limited to 3 (as makes sense based on the current roster) or MAYBE 4 (with the potential to move on from someone currently on the team). I'm really starting to think the Aris addition was untimely if that caused Rhody to potentially miss out on Walker. If what DC_URI is saying is true, I don't see how you could come to another conclusion.

Anyway, I'm quickly progressing through the stages of grief on this one and am hopeful we get McLeod. At the end of the day, that would be a solid class. The staff really investing in taking a shot at a couple 4*'s, had some solid backup options to fall back on. Sometimes you'll hit on a 4* like we did with Harris. Sometimes you'll go with the backups.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong with Aris and he'll be a solid contributor at some point, but I'd rather see us hold onto that scholarship. You never know what kind of transfer, 5th Year, or JUCO might come available off-cycle and really make an impact.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

The whole Dahmir Bishop thing left a sour taste in all involved mouths. We were a LOCK for Bishop, and then he went to XU for his first visit and committed.

My guess is URI realized they are not in the position to continue to gamble on “possibilities” because you risk losing out on your first and second option. If URI were the favorite, and they were in fact “a lock” and it were relayed to the (while I would still respect the reluctance in believing that) but I believe the staff would’ve waited. Therefore, I don’t believe entirely what your saying is true, but I think there is SOME truth in there. If URI were the choice, he should’ve committed.

Nonetheless, good luck to Ant Walker, he’s going to be a very good ball player. One thing I learned the hard way though in life, it’s that mothers know best.
0 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 5 years ago
RamStock wrote: 5 years ago

Yeah RamStock, I'm with you on this. no offense DC_URI but calling BS on this

Cox and crew do not pass on a top 100 talent, thats just not his style and they seem to have a good relationship with the mother and would not have this approach which could piss her off. I do think getting him will be tough and Miami is the front runner that is why we need to get a verbal from McLeod after Rhody Madness
It might not have gone down as bluntly as DC_URI said, but I wouldn't be that surprised if the staff told Walker, "hey man, you are our top choice, but just a heads up, I know you want to take all your visits, and that's completely up to you, but there is a really good chance that we'll run out of spots by the end of October, so keep that in mind. We can't hold your spot forever." I do staffing at my current job, and that's how 90% of those conversations go.

I'm no recruiting expert, but there are a couple things said commonly on this board that I'm skeptical of. One is that we could just open up 5 spots in this class easy-peasy. That would mean cutting ties with a current player that we've invested in like CT or Tertsea or both. I think we'd have to do one of them anyway with a 4 person class. That's a kind of shitty thing to do when you talk about this being such a family, tight knit group. The other players might start to wonder about their own spots being up for grabs, and pretty soon all the family talk wears out. The other line of thinking that I don't quite get is that we can just tell kids that we're recruiting, "hey bud (think Mading or McLeod), we like you, but we're not going to accept your commitment right now because we're waiting on this other guy who we like more than you (Walker)." That sounds like a sure-fire way to guarantee you're not going to get that kid. Who wants to be told they are second choice? Especially 17 year old's with fragile ego's? I think it's more likely that you try to time your offers and visits to allow your top choices the first crack at it.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Pretty sure no one ever bashed him. There isn't a fan here that did not want him.

Two perspectives on the same situation:
URI's perspective: get an early visit and hope for a commitment.
In my mind, that was still a better strategy than taking the last visit and hoping he does not commit before then.
That did not work out. It's a calculated risk the team took.

AW perspective: He had his timeline, and even though he liked URI, he was going to take all his visits and hope URI waited.
He knows that teams all have their own timelines, too. It is the risk AW took.

If URI did reach out to him after MM signed, good for them. That way everyone knows where they stand.
Sometimes, despite your best efforts, it just does not work out.
1 x