‘19 PA SG - Dahmir Bishop (Xavier > St Joe’s > FGCU)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Re: ‘19 PA SG - Dahmir Bishop (Xavier transfer)

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

While it is perfectly conceivable that a better option will come along and select URI, history tells us that for our program waiting for a better option typically results in Ryan Preston/Devale Johnson level players. Some of us are "bird in the hand" and some are "roll the dice" types. Both methods have an equal likelihood of success/failure from where we sit - which is generally clueless. In this case, we are talking about a Top 150 kid, which lessens the likelihood of failure AND we still have two scholarships open. If this were the last one, you may see more folks on the "roll the dice" side.
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

We've invested a lot of money, and resources, to Bishop's recruitment. It'd be nice to get some return on that investment.
1 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

On Bishop, I’m excited because of his HS ranking and the fact he was top of our list last year. I’m less excited because of the atrocious shooting we’ve witnessed the last season and a half. I’m OK taking him (assuming the 3rd available schollie is for a big man replacement for Cyril) as long as we get a G/SF who is an above average shooter and is ready to give us 10-12 mins a game minimum. Then, hopefully we’ll have Shepard and new guy who can shoot and maybe even Leggett.

People say Bishop is a slasher/scorer. We’ve had slashers/scorers in the past that did well because they had players around them who could hit the outside shot consistently and had to be respected. There were never 3-4 guys in the lane on drives as there are now. Now Opponents know now that if if a Ram drives, the chance of him dishing it out is very low. They know that player driving is dead set an getting to the hoop.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I guess it’s more about the future return on an investment
We need shooting
So these numbers indicative of a future good shooter?
I get buy low, sell high but we are not playing the stock market here.
I’d go more on what has the player done lately that what the player was ranked between his Jr and Sr year in HS.

Xavier Production:
5-28 FG for 17.9%
2-17 on 3Ps for 11.8%
4-13 FT for 30.6%
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in Hammond's or Bishop's college stats bc they were given such a small amount of playing time and usage.
Tbh how they were regarded out of HS is worth more than their college stats bc its based on a larger sample of work -- Kuran Iverson and Stan Robinson weren't lighting the world on fire at Memphis or Indiana and contributed significantly here.

That said I dont think you need to use stats to make the point that Bishop is not a prolific outside shooter, he was never regarded as such. He's a slashing wing player with high level athleticism. And IMO if he is available you take him, best talent available and figure out where they fit in later.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

He didn’t have the Senior year in HS that some expected

Here is 8 pages from the Xavier Message Board - most of the applicable info is in page 1.
http://www.xavierhoops.com/showthread.p ... fer-portal
0 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in Hammond's or Bishop's college stats bc they were given such a small amount of playing time and usage.
Tbh how they were regarded out of HS is worth more than their college stats bc its based on a larger sample of work -- Kuran Iverson and Stan Robinson weren't lighting the world on fire at Memphis or Indiana and contributed significantly here.

That said I dont think you need to use stats to make the point that Bishop is not a prolific outside shooter, he was never regarded as such. He's a slashing wing player with high level athleticism. And IMO if he is available you take him, best talent available and figure out where they fit in later.

I agree with you about best talent available but when you have glaring needs and the best talent available does not satisfy those needs, is that really the best use of that schollie? What if the other 2 schollies are filled with 2 more Bishops because they are the best available and we don’t address the need for shooting and a replacement for Cyril? I’m not saying no to taking Bishop, just that if we don’t address the other needs I’m not sure the addition of Bishop will greatly improve this team next year.

That being said, my wish list is Bishop, a G/SF lights out shooter and a 6’10 center. All 3 who can contribute sooner rather than later.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Anyone that would pass on Bishop is crazy.... This kid is a stud.
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This board never passes on anybody. Any name that ever comes up we want signed yesterday
Very rarely does anybody get refused.
But I’ll pass on Bishop.
I would have passed on Dougherty too, but fortunately Northeastern was his choice.
We need players who can shoot. His shooting statistics were horrible.
Not my decision of course.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Not to turn this into a Sheppard discussion, but why is everyone assuming he is the answer to our shooting issues? He made 1.7 threes a game out of 5 attempts for 33% and was overall a 36% shooter in his one college season that will be 3 years removed by the time he hits the floor. Those numbers are almost identical to Fatts' 3pt percentage this season. Oh yeah and nobody knows if he'll ever even hit the floor in the first place.

Grab Bishop if he wants to come here. We need more than just one player at the moment, especially at the guard position.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago This board never passes on anybody. Any name that ever comes up we want signed yesterday
But I’ll pass on Bishop.
I would have passed on Dougherty too, but fortunately Northeastern was his choice.
I only wanted Dougherty if the staff thought he would make an impact. I'm fine that we didn't land him and I think most of the board is as well.

Shooting is not the only need on this team. I'm all for getting a couple guys that knock down the three but you don't pass on a kid with this upside. The main thing I love about Dahmir is his aggression. His passion is contingues on the court. Something this team DESPERATELY needs.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yes, we need more like Toppin, who has that fire that this team needs.

Dowtin seems to have given that up out of frustration...and Fatts tries, but man when he's bad he's really bad as a shooter.

Martin is who he is...he's talented, but the laid back stuff is a bad look sometimes.

Harris isn't a rah rah type either.

Not enough on this team.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Boy am I glad that some of you do not recruit for the program. Short sighted and would turn down every recruit if they were not the next coming of Michael Jordan. Were you saying fatts couldnt shoot at the beginning of the year? I do not think so. Whether your opinion is to take Dahmir Bishop or pass on him it does not really matter. What matters is Cox is going to go after Bishop and if the interest is mutual from Dah then he will be a Rhody ram. Simple as that. Some of you would be waiting around for michael jordan to chose rhody and look around wondering why we have no recruits.
6 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago This board never passes on anybody. Any name that ever comes up we want signed yesterday
But I’ll pass on Bishop.
There have been many guys that people on the board have wanted to pass on or didn’t like when they were signed. For me it was Aris, DJ, Mading and Wood. I really like Bishop and hope we can get him. We can’t pass on this type of talent. I agree 100% though that one scholarship has to be a very good shooter who can bury threes. Love Leggett and psyched for him next year
Last edited by RamStock 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

You never know how the recruit is going to work out......Is it the fit, coach's use of the player, the player's mind set, confidence, injuries, or skill or lack of?

.........Look at Christion Thompson great year at 9-5 Tulane......He has found his niche as a 2g, rather than wing player........averaging 13.3, leading his team in rebounds, steals, assists, and blocks.
2 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago I guess it’s more about the future return on an investment
We need shooting
So these numbers indicative of a future good shooter?
I get buy low, sell high but we are not playing the stock market here.
I’d go more on what has the player done lately that what the player was ranked between his Jr and Sr year in HS.

Xavier Production:
5-28 FG for 17.9%
2-17 on 3Ps for 11.8%
4-13 FT for 30.6%
The consensus for Dana Tate was that no wanted him to go. We wanted him to play this year, the next and the year after that. 2-15 on 3Ps for 13.3%
3-6 on FT for 50%

If none of you knew Dana and solely looked at his numbers with your logic I guess that is an automatic no on him because he doesn’t fit your specific categories However we all know that is not true because he checks off many other boxes other than shooting and was just having a bad season shooting wise. For people worried about Dahs shooting ability realize with hard work and practice anyone can get a jump shot. Even if that doesn’t happen he is still the type of talent you want playing here in Kingston.
2 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

I think most on here will welcome Bishop with open arms. The concern and some of the negativity regarding Bishop is that we all see a glaring deficiency on this team and would like to see it addressed. If there wasn’t such an obvious need, I bet we’d all be salivating over The possibility of Bishop coming, just as we were a a few months ago. A couple of weeks ago we were very concerned about who would replace Cyril next year and beyond. With the emergence of Walker, the improvement of Harris and the potential of Toppin, we now think we are just fine next year. I’d like to see URI recruit players that fit their needs.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I think the final three open spots are going to Bishop, McLeod and Ant Walker. Johnson will leave and we will grab a deadly three point shooter. We get our dream recruiting class one year late. 😀
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I am probably one of the few on the board that is not convinced we are such an awful shooting team as our shooting
percentages indicate. So much of our offense is forced shots, prayers that Cyril will get the rebound. Our offense seems to be "Fatts" you break down the defense, and when this does not work, they have nothing to go to.

Both Richmond and us had 66 shots yesterday. How many more of ours were much more "difficult" compared to Richmond.

That is the problem!! Bishop is a very good basketball player!!

I do not know if this is coaching or too many players with low basketball IQ, but until we get the degree of difficulty of our shots more acceptable, I don't think we know for sure if we truly have a team of bad shooters.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

McRam wrote: 4 years ago I am probably one of the few on the board that is not convinced we are such an awful shooting team as our shooting
percentages indicate. So much of our offense is forced shots, prayers that Cyril will get the rebound. Our offense seems to be "Fatts" you break down the defense, and when this does not work, they have nothing to go to.

Both Richmond and us had 66 shots yesterday. How many more of ours were much more "difficult" compared to Richmond.

That is the problem!! Bishop is a very good basketball player!!

I do not know if this is coaching or too many players with low basketball IQ, but until we get the degree of difficulty of our shots more acceptable, I don't think we know for sure if we truly have a team of bad shooters.
Ball movement and creating shots through the extra pass would certainly help and create for less difficult shots, but as we enter into almost two full years of data I’m pretty convinced that we are a bad shooting team. The defense is what has really let me down. That has always been our strength
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago I think the final three open spots are going to Bishop, McLeod and Ant Walker. Johnson will leave and we will grab a deadly three point shooter. We get our dream recruiting class one year late. 😀
Give me 2 out of 3 and I would be jumping through the roof.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Agree with Ramstock that a major problem with the shooting is shot selection . Way too many off balance shots and prayer shots being attempted
especially drives in the paint that are just flip up circus type attempts that are very low percentage shots . when Russell, Martin Doutin andHYarris
are able to step into shots their percentage of makes seems to be decent . But that is a fairly rare occurrence. They don't seem to have the patience
to wait for the truly open shot . However , the really great shooters can usually make some of the lower percentage shots . I don't think we have any
great knock down shooters . Have to identify the problem and then go out and recruit solutions . Hopefully they have identified this problem ,now
they have to find the shooters for the future. I have a feeling shooting will get better over the next few games so that it won't be such a weakness .
Clearly the offense lost the Richmond game . The defense did okay allowing only 69 points.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Absolutely yes to Dah Bishop kid is too talented to pass on and we have roster spots
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

if I'm reading this correctly, St Joes 2nd semester starts on the 13th. If Bishop wants to play at least the 2nd semester (assuming he doesn't get a waiver) next year he would have to be enrolled on or before.

https://www.sju.edu/events/academic-calendar
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bkoeppen wrote: 4 years ago if I'm reading this correctly, St Joes 2nd semester starts on the 13th. If Bishop wants to play at least the 2nd semester (assuming he doesn't get a waiver) next year he would have to be enrolled on or before.

https://www.sju.edu/events/academic-calendar
Many schools have an enrollment cutoff date that is after the first day of classes.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Billy Baron transfered in a couple of weeks into the semester. But if bishop was going to SJ there’s no reason not to be there when classes start
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Any sitting of him at tonight's game?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No he was not there
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I’m confident in our chances this go round.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

These mid-year transfer things sure are kept quiet. We probably won't know where he's going until he's on our campus or somebody else's.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Good guard lineup if we got him for next year. Fatts...bishop...sheppard..leggett...wood..
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Good guard lineup if we got him for next year. Fatts...bishop...sheppard..leggett...wood..
Yeah, it really will be.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Good guard lineup if we got him for next year. Fatts...bishop...sheppard..leggett...wood..

FIVE WHOLE GUARDS

WOW
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

interestingly enough we are at St. Joes on the 15th - I'm sure Bishop will be in attendance.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Are we sure we're even being considered?
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

URI96 wrote: 4 years ago Are we sure we're even being considered?
Absolutely.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bkoeppen wrote: 4 years ago interestingly enough we are at St. Joes on the 15th - I'm sure Bishop will be in attendance.
He will be in attendance, but more specifically, which bench will he be on?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
bkoeppen wrote: 4 years ago interestingly enough we are at St. Joes on the 15th - I'm sure Bishop will be in attendance.
The right one. :lol:
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
The right one. :lol:
once he sees that dumb mascot waving his wings all game, he will sign with us.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago These mid-year transfer things sure are kept quiet. We probably won't know where he's going until he's on our campus or somebody else's.
Probably because there's less opportunity to get at the player. HS recruits, you have a slew of school and AAU games while they're being recruited. If you're transferring, you usually have two or three schools already identified as ones your interested in, and just go about picking one.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That would suck if we lose out to ST Joe considering how awful they are
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Fuuuuuuuck!!!!
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Brutal
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Always the bridesmaid
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Why
0 x
GO RAMS
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years agoWhy
Million dollar question.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Damn that is shocking. Missed out twice that has to hurt. But on to the next. Guessing the norance berry visit means even more now.
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

He maybe considered St Joe's for more immediate playing time. I think this is the fuel the drives the transfer portal. Everyone wants to start and the hell with the team that doesn't appease the player immediately.
0 x