‘19 PA SG - Dahmir Bishop (Xavier > St Joe’s > FGCU)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: ‘19 PA SG - Dahmir Bishop

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

You win some you lose some, moving on.
3 x
GO RAMS
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago You win some you lose some, moving on.
Agreed
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: ‘19 PA SG - Dahmir Bishop (Xavier Commit)

Unread post by DC_Rams »

For those asking why he didn’t commit immediately after his visit...as you all can see they put some effort into shooting his announcement video. Kids these days are all trying to shoot a commercial.
2 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago You win some you lose some, moving on.
We’re fighting Pitt and Xavier for recruits, not other A10 programs. It may be only a moral victory, but it does show the progression that the program has made. When we start winning these consistently, the whole country will be put on notice. Until then, I still wish kids like Bishop the best.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow just finding this out now and what a punch to the gut

Nice job D.C. Rams predicting this

Oh well I saw him in person and he didn't impress so it's time to move on
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. Going to lose some of these if we want 4 star recruits. No shame losing to xavier, a perennial top 25 program. He joins Naji Marshall as 2 guys they have that I wanted to see in Rhody blue.
1 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

We really need to secure a scorer now. I felt Bishop could have been the next Matthews/Terrel type player for us. I am just very surprised we didn’t get our official visit from him. URI had definitely been in the lead to land him for a long time now and he clearly had a strong relationship with coach Cox. He had to be really swayed on his visit to X. It must have been one hell of a visit to not honor his scheduled visit with us. What’s another two weeks especially when you had strong interest in URI. I’m almost certain they pressed him for a decision by the end of this week. They must of used the approach that your our number one priority guard blah blah blah but we have to know if your in or out because we have 2 other guards coming in this week and we have to secure your position. They did the takeaway approach. Give the kid an amazing visit and make him make a decision immediately. It doesn’t work on everyone but it is more effective than giving a recruit a leash. I’m not saying Cox or or our staff did anything wrong at all in their approach. Clearly their effort and commitment to him was clear and true. It just kills me that Bishop was heavily favoring us for a long time..... his internet post with Cox/Fatts and what he was telling the media proved that. It’s just my guess but I’m thinking Cox wishes he would have presseded him harder for a decision earlier. You need to close fast and hard on a kid that you know is getting multiple high offers and I feel time caught up to us here. Time kills all deals. We needed that first visit and you have to press the kid to decide. I think we maybe took too much of the nice guy approach and didn’t press him and it cost us. Either way these things will happen and I’m still very confident in our staff. I am worried about our backup plan at the guard position. As others have stated I think Cox thought he was a lock. This position is critical and I don’t want it used on an average player with upside. I think we might have to look for a high talent transfer here.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Tom98 wrote: 5 years ago We really need to secure a scorer now. I felt Bishop could have been the next Matthews/Terrel type player for us. I am just very surprised we didn’t get our official visit from him. URI had definitely been in the lead to land him for a long time now and he clearly had a strong relationship with coach Cox. He had to be really swayed on his visit to X. It must have been one hell of a visit to not honor his scheduled visit with us. What’s another two weeks especially when you had strong interest in URI. I’m almost certain they pressed him for a decision by the end of this week. They must of used the approach that your our number one priority guard blah blah blah but we have to know if your in or out because we have 2 other guards coming in this week and we have to secure your position. They did the takeaway approach. Give the kid an amazing visit and make him make a decision immediately. It doesn’t work on everyone but it is more effective than giving a recruit a leash. I’m not saying Cox or or our staff did anything wrong at all in their approach. Clearly their effort and commitment to him was clear and true. It just kills me that Bishop was heavily favoring us for a long time..... his internet post with Cox/Fatts and what he was telling the media proved that. It’s just my guess but I’m thinking Cox wishes he would have presseded him harder for a decision earlier. You need to close fast and hard on a kid that you know is getting multiple high offers and I feel time caught up to us here. Time kills all deals. We needed that first visit and you have to press the kid to decide. I think we maybe took too much of the nice guy approach and didn’t press him and it cost us. Either way these things will happen and I’m still very confident in our staff. I am worried about our backup plan at the guard position. As others have stated I think Cox thought he was a lock. This position is critical and I don’t want it used on an average player with upside. I think we might have to look for a high talent transfer here.
Agree with everything completely. We need talent to compete at a big level. We don’t need the “he looks tall and he might be able to get some minutes one of these years.”
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I try not to post much during the off season because I hate roller coasters.. Let's face it. We are a mid major in a mid major conference. We are going to lose these battles a lot more than we win them... The upper echelon kids dream of the pros. Uri is not a vast breeding ground for the pros.. Keep getting the high 3 stars that are athletic and with high motors especially on defense and we will be highly competitive..
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It's just a shame that our entire staff put in so much time and effort in this recruitment and then lose to a school that swoops in late and lands him with much less time and effort. I hate that. But that's the way it is when you're up against schools in a better conference. Unfortunately, the same is likely to happen with Walker. I applaud the staff's effort. They did everything they could.
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

We have four, maybe 5 good guards (if C Thompson stays) for this year and next. Not too worried about depth there.
Tate and Harris can step out and play on the wing as well.
If we address the biggest weakness - rim protection in my opinion - and grab an additional shooter, we will be in great shape.
Unlike some, I am not opposed to signing a 6'11" (really 6'9"?) shooter that can handle the ball some. They are rare.

There are always good players available late as well. Things happen. How many times did we wish we had a spot for a late signee?
Walker will the crown jewel of the class if we can land him. He is a high impact guy.
Bishop is going to be really good, no doubt, and losing him is a bummer, but I'd argue that Walker fills more of a need.
Sign him and Mading can red shirt if he needs to get stronger. LOTS of options.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

So many assumptions. Many are posting like we have been recruiting Bishop for years like Cox did with Harris. That is wrong. URI offered Bishop on April 20th this year. Xavier offered in June. Bishop sat the bench as a Soph for Imhotep when Fatts was a Sr. He just started to get noticed last July in the 3 week AAU period. He also had a good Jr year at Imhotep.

How do you know how much effort the Xavier coaching staff put in? They were at every game I saw Bishop play this summer.

How can people make comments like Cox had him as a lock? How do you know that? Did you talk to Coach Cox? Are you basing it on how we felt on the Board.
I believe DC Ram posted that Bishop made a silent commitment to Xavier when he was on his visit.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I never thought it was a lock. I thought if he had followed through with his visit here next week that we would have had a very good chance.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago So many assumptions. Many are posting like we have been recruiting Bishop for years like Cox did with Harris. That is wrong. URI offered Bishop on April 20th this year. Xavier offered in June. Bishop sat the bench as a Soph for Imhotep when Fatts was a Sr. He just started to get noticed last July in the 3 week AAU period. He also had a good Jr year at Imhotep.

How do you know how much effort the Xavier coaching staff put in? They were at every game I saw Bishop play this summer.

How can people make comments like Cox had him as a lock? How do you know that? Did you talk to Coach Cox? Are you basing it on how we felt on the Board.
I believe DC Ram posted that Bishop made a silent commitment to Xavier when he was on his visit.
We weren’t recruiting him the longest, we were recruiting him the hardest. He was buried on the bench until his Jr. year and then he started to shine.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

How do you define recruiting him the hardest? Is their a measurement? I don’t think you get anything for recruiting someone the hardest. George Mason had recruited Mekhi Long the longest & hardest. Does anyone care when he commits to Rhody over Mason?
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Dahmir would have been a great commit to compliment everything we have going on currently on the team. However, in my opinion Naheem Mcleod is the biggest need recruit for us. He gives us something we dont already have. Yes we missed on a scorer but having five people at that position and a extremely skilled 4 man that could go to a 3 if desperate can cover that miss. I think instead of forcing another scorer into the mix get started on a scorer and big time guard for 2020 for when Jeff leaves. This is really when they can sign a high impact guy. It also could help even out the classes a little.
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

sevegny7 wrote: 5 years ago Dahmir would have been a great commit to compliment everything we have going on currently on the team. However, in my opinion Naheem Mcleod is the biggest need recruit for us. He gives us something we dont already have. Yes we missed on a scorer but having five people at that position and a extremely skilled 4 man that could go to a 3 if desperate can cover that miss. I think instead of forcing another scorer into the mix get started on a scorer and big time guard for 2020 for when Jeff leaves. This is really when they can sign a high impact guy. It also could help even out the classes a little.
This is a very good point. Not saying guys like Dahmir are a dime and dozen, but it's hard to find good length in college - true, athletic centers that are more than 6'10-6'11 tall like Mcleod and dynamic 4's like walker. big reason why we got beat by duke last year was their length. between dowtin, fatts, omar and martin we are pretty well stocked for the next 2-3 years a 1-3 and will continue to find guys like this. walker seems to be slipping away, but him and mcleod would be an amazing compliment to what we already have and nothing to be upset about.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago How do you define recruiting him the hardest? Is their a measurement? I don’t think you get anything for recruiting someone the hardest. George Mason had recruited Mekhi Long the longest & hardest. Does anyone care when he commits to Rhody over Mason?
We put in the most effort compared to other schools! In came direct from Bishop’s mouth. What does Long have to do with Bishop? We put in the effort, it didn’t pay off, period.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

URI was widely considered in the lead at one point so it hurts when you lose the recruit. It happens but it sucks
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago How do you define recruiting him the hardest? Is their a measurement? I don’t think you get anything for recruiting someone the hardest. George Mason had recruited Mekhi Long the longest & hardest. Does anyone care when he commits to Rhody over Mason?
You make a good point, but the bottom line is a player like Long is on a competly different level than Bishop and it isn’t analyzed as much becsuse he is lower end recruit. I think Bishop just liked the idea of a big school from a power 6 similar to Walker. Look how happy Walker was after his first visit to URI. Once he started getting big time offers he hasn’t mentioned URI at all. We are always going to be at a huge disadvantage to schools like Xavier and PC
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Guys...the Bishop news is a disappointment but we are still involved with a bunch of talented players so let's move on...this recruiting class can turn out to be a great one.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
We put in the most effort compared to other schools! In came direct from Bishop’s mouth. What does Long have to do with Bishop? We put in the effort, it didn’t pay off, period.
Welcome to life in the NFL, bud. You want to recruit big-time players, you have to contend with big-time programs. And when you compete with big-time programs for players, sometimes you don’t win. You have to go into every recruitment knowing this outcome is possible, if not likely, and you have to go into these recruitments anyways.

Xavier is a good school and a very good basketball program. It is disappointing that Dahmir chose them over Rhody, but you can respect it. Last year we went head-to-head with them for Jermaine Harris; I wouldn’t trade Jermaine for Dahmir. Every player isn’t going to think we are the best spot for them. These guys have to make the call that they think is right for them, and they’re all pretty good choices and hard decisions. We’ll be OK.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
Welcome to life in the NFL, bud. You want to recruit big-time players, you have to contend with big-time programs. And when you compete with big-time programs for players, sometimes you don’t win. You have to go into every recruitment knowing this outcome is possible, if not likely, and you have to go into these recruitments anyways.

Xavier is a good school and a very good basketball program. It is disappointing that Dahmir chose them over Rhody, but you can respect it. Last year we went head-to-head with them for Jermaine Harris; I wouldn’t trade Jermaine for Dahmir. Every player isn’t going to think we are the best spot for them. These guys have to make the call that they think is right for them, and they’re all pretty good choices and hard decisions. We’ll be OK.
I’m over it. Was over it on Tuesday. Just emphasizing my point that the staff did what they could.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Not sure if you miss out on your top two targets that the class can be 'great.' I'm hoping for good, which would be OK after this year's class.
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago Not sure if you miss out on your top two targets that the class can be 'great.' I'm hoping for good, which would be OK after this year's class.
I think at this point I would be happy with one useful recruit which would be McLeod. He is a must get at this point. Very disappointing class. I feel bad for the coaching staff also as they have worked very hard. The only thing we didn’t do was get the first official visits except for McLeod and of course didn’t get the commitment.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago Not sure if you miss out on your top two targets that the class can be 'great.' I'm hoping for good, which would be OK after this year's class.
I think at this point I would be happy with one useful recruit which would be McLeod. He is a must get at this point. Very disappointing class. I feel bad for the coaching staff also as they have worked very hard. The only thing we didn’t do was get the first official visits except for McLeod and of course didn’t get the commitment.
Let’s say we land Long, McLeod, and Madding, in the last seven years, this class would still be a top half class for the program. This just shows how high the expectations have risen with this program.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago
RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
Let’s say we land Long, McLeod, and Madding, in the last seven years, this class would still be a top half class for the program. This just shows how high the expectations have risen with this program.
[/quote

I think Mading is ranked in the 300’s if he is even ranked and Long is 233, but limited from an offensive standpoint. I think Long will have value from a defensive stopper and quality bench player. I just don’t ever want to go back to the Baron days. I would have been real excited with a Walker or Bishop, McLeod, Long and could have cared who the last guy was(Tsourgiannis) whoever. It feels like we have taken a step forward, but I get that trying to replicate last year’s class just wasn’t possible. Let’s get McLeod and move forward.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Not taking a side, just adding perspective from 247 sports for whatever that is worth.

Long is the tenth best prospect URI has signed since 247 sports started, one spot ahead of Hassan Martin.

The class calc with Long, Mcleod, and Mading is 41.79.
2018 was 49.83
2017 was 18.19
2016 was 35.02
2015 was 21.51
2014 was 39.08
2013 was 39.35

So second best class since the Hurley era started. Obviously landing three players increases those numbers but still shows how far we have come when this potential class would be the second best since Hurley’s time.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I would take Terrell and Garrett ahead of the class you projected above. We are giving 247 too much weight in evaluating recruiting classes. Judge a class after their Soph or Jr years. 2017 was rated low because it was just Fatts. I would take someone at Fatts level every year. Measure a class by its impact players.
2018 TBD - most likely we will have at least two in Harris & Martin
2017 Fatts
2016 Dowtin & Cyril
2015 none at this point. Thompson TBD
2014 Terrell & Garrett
2013 EC & Hass

Will there be any players we get in 2019 that will make the list of impact players or will it be like 2015?
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I would take Terrell and Garrett ahead of the class you projected above. We are giving 247 too much weight in evaluating recruiting classes. Judge a class after their Soph or Jr years. 2017 was rated low because it was just Fatts. I would take someone at Fatts level every year. Measure a class by its impact players.
2017 Fatts
2016 Dowtin & Cyril
2014 Terrell & Garrett
2013 EC & Hass

Will there be any players we get in 2019 that will make the list of impact players or will it be like 2015?
McLeod could be the one guy that can make an impact. Other than that I would list all four of the 2018 class-Harris, Martin, Tate and Silverio as much more likely to make an impact over Long and any other candidates not named Anthony Walker in the 2019 class.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I’d imagine that if McLeod and, say, Mading come on board in the next few weeks, that along with Long will still give URI one of the higher rated classes in the league for 2019. Tough to call that “very disappointing.” Backing up what was far and away the top ‘18 class in the A10 (without considering Tsourgiannis, and if he turns out to be a player that class will be a force), that’s not bad. It’s obviously not ideal. A class of Long, Bishop, Walker and McLeod would have been a home run, but if a kid wasn’t coming here he wasn’t coming here so might as well “what if” our class was last year’s Duke class for all that’s worth.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I would take Terrell and Garrett ahead of the class you projected above. We are giving 247 too much weight in evaluating recruiting classes. Judge a class after their Soph or Jr years. 2017 was rated low because it was just Fatts. I would take someone at Fatts level every year. Measure a class by its impact players.
2017 Fatts
2016 Dowtin & Cyril
2014 Terrell & Garrett
2013 EC & Hass

Agree with giving 247 too much credit 83, that’s why I started off the post saying “for whatever this ranking system is worth”.

Long is rated right around the same area Fats was. In fact, he has a higher composit rating at this point. Obviously Fatts had a strong freshmen year but Long could be a player that produces at that level as well, time will tell.

Mading at 6-11, if he grows into his body (perfect redshirt candidate) he could turn out to be a dynamic player, remember that nobody knows exactly how these kids project at the next level. Everyone matures and grows differently.

Clearly if we are able to land Walker, he would be the one guy that would immediately move into next years loaded rotation. Other guys we would have to see how they developed.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

2017 Fatts
2016 Dowtin & Cyril
2014 Terrell & Garrett
2013 EC & Hass

Agree with giving 247 too much credit 83, that’s why I started off the post saying “for whatever this ranking system is worth”.

Long is rated right around the same area Fats was. In fact, he has a higher composit rating at this point. Obviously Fatts had a strong freshmen year but Long could be a player that produces at that level as well, time will tell.

Mading at 6-11, if he grows into his body (perfect redshirt candidate) he could turn out to be a dynamic player, remember that nobody knows exactly how these kids project at the next level. Everyone matures and grows differently.

Clearly if we are able to land Walker, he would be the one guy that would immediately move into next years loaded rotation. Other guys we would have to see how they developed.
Fatts and Long may be rated similarly (which means your rankings are broken, IMO), but Fatts went out at Peach Jam and absolutely dominated against some of the best in the country. There’s nothing similar for Long in his development. Not a knock against Long, more a recognition of Fatts. I think it’s also key to look at what other schools are recruiting a player.

They invested a lot of time in and missed on their highest ranked player, but that happens. Potential playing time is always a concern for recruits, I get that, but the program is also coming off two straight tournament appearances and wins, conference championships- that’s when recruiting is expected to be strong, in comparison to when you’re recruiting off of 15+ years of no tournaments and just hope for the future. That being said, I can’t have an opinion on the class because there isn’t a complete class yet. URI seems to be Mading and McLeod’s best legitimate offer/choice, so that bodes well for the staff’s chances in getting them. The last few years have also shown us that recruiting can be supported by well-chosen transfers.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

ace wrote: 5 years ago
2017 Fatts
2016 Dowtin & Cyril
2014 Terrell & Garrett
2013 EC & Hass

Fatts and Long may be rated similarly (which means your rankings are broken, IMO), but Fatts went out at Peach Jam and absolutely dominated against some of the best in the country. There’s nothing similar for Long in his development. Not a knock against Long, more a recognition of Fatts. I think it’s also key to look at what other schools are recruiting a player.

They invested a lot of time in and missed on their highest ranked player, but that happens. Potential playing time is always a concern for recruits, I get that, but the program is also coming off two straight tournament appearances and wins, conference championships- that’s when recruiting is expected to be strong, in comparison to when you’re recruiting off of 15+ years of no tournaments and just hope for the future. That being said, I can’t have an opinion on the class because there isn’t a complete class yet. URI seems to be Mading and McLeod’s best legitimate offer/choice, so that bodes well for the staff’s chances in getting them. The last few years have also shown us that recruiting can be supported by well-chosen transfers.
Agree. Let’s use our eyes and we will see there is nothing similiar about Fatts and Long at all. Long’s game is dunks and put backs. I understand they are different positions and players develop, but there is nothing at all that shows Long developing into a player that will be one of the guys carrying a team which Fatts is. There is nothing that shows this is one of the best classes ever. That would be sad. Hope to get McLeod this week. He could be a very good defensive player with offensive development also
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Who said this was the best class ever? They have one kid signed.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

At one point it was being said (by me, admittedly) that Bishop-Walker-Wahab would have been the best class ever.
Moot point now and expectations have to be adjusted accordingly.

Everyone is too much on edge here....
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

2017 Fatts
2016 Dowtin & Cyril
2014 Terrell & Garrett
2013 EC & Hass

That is the question. If you can get one star, one eventual starter and one role player every year you will be good. What will Class of 19 bring?
0 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Who said this was the best class ever? They have one kid signed.
Every school's fans in April vs September in a nutshell
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago Not taking a side, just adding perspective from 247 sports for whatever that is worth.

Long is the tenth best prospect URI has signed since 247 sports started, one spot ahead of Hassan Martin.

The class calc with Long, Mcleod, and Mading is 41.79.
2018 was 49.83
2017 was 18.19
2016 was 35.02
2015 was 21.51
2014 was 39.08
2013 was 39.35

So second best class since the Hurley era started. Obviously landing three players increases those numbers but still shows how far we have come when this potential class would be the second best since Hurley’s time.
Just an FYI on the class calculator ... It is somewhat of a misleading metric.
Every recruit is assigned a point total that is supposed to correlate with the value of their recruitment.
With that said, the more recruits you have, the better chance at a higher calculator total.
It's why the 2016 class had a stronger score despite having no Top 250 players at the time.
It's also why that 2019 class projection would beat the 2013 projection, because it's 3 players versus 2 despite the fact the 2013 class included 1 Top 100 player and 1 Top 175 player, while the projected values of the current class are all 200+.

If you are looking at recruited player strength, you are better off taking an average of their recruiting ranking.
Using that metric, the 2013 is dramatically better than most other classes.
The only asterisk for using this as your metric is that I would argue that I would rather two players ranked 97.99 than one player ranked 98 (fictitious scenario).
It just goes to show that even on paper, the data can be manipulated or misleading.
1 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

Looking at box scores Bishop does not appear to be getting much playing time for Xavier. Maybe he should have come here?!!?
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Urifan91 wrote: 4 years ago Looking at box scores Bishop does not appear to be getting much playing time for Xavier. Maybe he should have come here?!!?
Zero minutes in the last two games
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I wonder if we will see his name in the dreaded transfer protocol???
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Anthony Walker's time on the down swing as conference play starts too. He did not play a single minute last night.
Just like Hammond leaving us and likely going to a lower conference to get PT, players such as Bishop and Walker will start to get antsy as well.

Having a couple of scholarships open is not such a horrible thing.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rhodyblue12 wrote: 4 years ago Anthony Walker's time on the down swing as conference play starts too. He did not play a single minute last night.
Just like Hammond leaving us and likely going to a lower conference to get PT, players such as Bishop and Walker will start to get antsy as well.

Or maybe they understand that you work hard, improve your game, earn playing time and don't bail after 10 games.
5 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyblue12 wrote: 4 years ago Anthony Walker's time on the down swing as conference play starts too. He did not play a single minute last night.

Or maybe they understand that you work hard, improve your game, earn playing time and don't bail after 10 games.

You make a really good point here blue , these kids are all happy when they go P5 yet once they get there and playing time drops then they wish they could be playing at the URIs of the world
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

A lot of these kids think they will just walk in and play major minutes at schools that already have good players at their position, no matter what level program they go to.

A very select few can do it. Most can't. Even some 5 stars struggle to fit in.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

The model roster used to be 10 guys who can play now and three spots for developmental players.
The new roster model is 10 good players and three guys sitting out a year after transferring.
We don't have to like it, but that's the new world so we have to get on board.

This trend should actually help non-P5 schools. Just think: A kid goes to a P5 school for a year or two, practices everyday against good competition, and gets the benefit of a top notch strength and conditioning program. They get recruited over and transfer where they are allowed to practice, work on skills and get stronger for another year.
By the time they play for us, they are 20-21 yrs old and still have 2-3 years of eligibility left.

They always say that the key to a good tournament run is a seasoned team. If done correctly, this model allows a non-P5 school to have a consistent stream of older, stronger guys on the roster. In a sense, the P5 schools teach them, get them stronger and we benefit. They are our minor league system.
With the 4 in 5 policy, kids can only transfer once without losing eligibility.

We need to become a transfer destination school. This is what Dayton has done.
Last edited by rhodyblue12 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 4 years ago The model roster used to be 10 guys who can play now and three spots for developmental players.
The new roster model is 10 good players and three guys sitting out a year after transferring.
We don't have to like it, but that's the new world so we have to get on board.

This trend should actually help non-P5 schools. Just think: A kid goes to a P5 school for a year or two, practices everyday against good competition, and gets the benefit of a top notch strength and conditioning program. They get recruited over and transfer where they are allowed to practice, work on skills and get stronger for another year.
By the time they play for us, they are 20-21 yrs old and still have 2-3 years of eligibility left.

They always say that the key to a good tournament run is a seasoned team. If done correctly, this model allows a non-P5 school to have a consistent stream older, stronger guys on the roster. In a sense, the P5 schools teach them, get them stronger and we benefit. They are our minor league system.
With the 4 in 5 policy, kids can only transfer once without losing eligibility.

We need to become a transfer destination school. This is what Dayton has done.
I agree completely - need to keep adding impact transfers, guys like Stan and Kuran who would not have come to Rhody as freshman.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Agree, Realistically most of these transfers will have two years of eligibility left. I like two transfers with at least two years of eligibility remaining. I don’t think you want less than 11 scholarship players to start a season. Grad Transfers are also an option. Have to think of each year of a scholarship as an asset. This doesn’t take into consideration the impact of having scholarship player transfer out mid year.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

And there it is.

0 x