‘19 PA SG - Dahmir Bishop (Xavier > St Joe’s > FGCU)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: ‘19 PA SG - Dahmir Bishop (Xavier Commit)

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Obvious question of the day:

Do we pursue him?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Obvious question of the day:

Do we pursue him?

I don’t see why we wouldn’t at least kick the tires on him.
2 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Since we now have 3 scholarships, we could still get 2 bigs if we got Bishop.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Do we pursue him?
YES
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Of course IMO.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I know I could go back through this thread and find out but, where did we stand with him? Final 10? Final 5? I know he and Fatts are close. I do remember that.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Would there be anything more indicative of modern recruiting than prioritizing a kid, recruiting him hard, losing him, reverting to a Plan B, then Plan B transfers out and your priority transfers in.
4 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I know I could go back through this thread and find out but, where did we stand with him? Final 10? Final 5? I know he and Fatts are close. I do remember that.
We were the bridesmaid

Rumors of Penn State and VCU also among his final list
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Wasn't PC a late entry also?
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago And there it is.

Wow. Small world.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Do we pursue him?
This is why relationship building is so important. There is no doubt in my mind the staff picks up the phone for this kid. He’s probably regretting he didn’t come here in the first place.
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Would there be anything more indicative of modern recruiting than prioritizing a kid, recruiting him hard, losing him, reverting to a Plan B, then Plan B transfers out and your priority transfers in.
Different path, but as Jared Terrell has taught us- nothing wrong with being someone’s second choice.

I’m not sure there’s anything more indicative of a certain aspect of fandom then some people slamming guys for transferring- kids today! with their need for immediate gratification and unwillingness to stick it out in a tough situation!- and then turning around and being all, that guy? Who did the same thing? Sure, get him, would welcome him with open arms. It’s just so great.

But yeah, absolutely get Bishop if he’s interested. I’ll have to see what the buzz is with the Philly basketball guys I know. I love the idea of him being in that sophomore class with Toppin and Long.
Last edited by ace 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
9 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago Wasn't PC a late entry also?
I believe you're correct

XU - committed
Rhody #2 (we were mentioned to be the 'other' leader until after his visit to XU)
PSU, VCU, PC (finalists as well)
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Would there be anything more indicative of modern recruiting than prioritizing a kid, recruiting him hard, losing him, reverting to a Plan B, then Plan B transfers out and your priority transfers in.
Different path, but as Jared Terrell has taught us- nothing wrong with being someone’s second choice.

I’m not sure there’s anything more indicative of a certain aspect of fandom then some people slamming guys for transferring- kids today! with their need for immediate gratification and unwillingness to stick it out in a tough situation!- and then turning around and being all, that guy? Who did the same thing? Sure, get him, would welcome him with open arms. It’s just so great.

But yeah, absolutely get Bishop if he’s interested. I’ll have to see what the buzz is with the Philly basketball guys I know.
Excellent point. Guilty as charged!!
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Not to mention, him and Fatts are CLOSE!
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
ace wrote: 4 years ago

But yeah, absolutely get Bishop if he’s interested. I’ll have to see what the buzz is with the Philly basketball guys I know.
Excellent point. Guilty as charged!!
But that’s why I like you- you can be all emotional in the moment and then later kind of own it if it’s been irrational :)
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Haha
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Transfer recruiting is a little more quiet than regular recruiting. We likely won’t know where he’s headed until the news leaks. I like our chances more than anyone, especially since the backup plan to Bishop (Greg), just left the program.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote: 4 years ago I’m not sure there’s anything more indicative of a certain aspect of fandom then some people slamming guys for transferring- kids today! with their need for immediate gratification and unwillingness to stick it out in a tough situation!- and then turning around and being all, that guy? Who did the same thing? Sure, get him, would welcome him with open arms. It’s just so great.
Haha yeah, came here to say the exact same thing!
1 x
Rhody Blue
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody Blue »

Below is link to Xavier message board with some posts on Bishop. A couple of comments on his shot FWIW....

http://www.xavierhoops.com/showthread.p ... fer-portal
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

This comment made by a poster on their board made me lol.

"3 SG's transfer in 3 years right? 3 misses. No wonder we can't shoot."
1 x
Go Rhody
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

He can not transfer yo another BE school, correct? Because PC could really use him and actually have more open scholarships then we do next year.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I have a subscription. It is the message board on 247. Anything specific you are looking to read?
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago He can not transfer yo another BE school, correct? Because PC could really use him and actually have more open scholarships then we do next year.
You need to have an open scholarship for January which PC doesn’t.
Most Conferences add a year penalty for a transfer in Conference (has to sit out 2 years).
3 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Welp. This just got more interesting..
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
ace wrote: 4 years ago I’m not sure there’s anything more indicative of a certain aspect of fandom then some people slamming guys for transferring- kids today! with their need for immediate gratification and unwillingness to stick it out in a tough situation!- and then turning around and being all, that guy? Who did the same thing? Sure, get him, would welcome him with open arms. It’s just so great.
Haha yeah, came here to say the exact same thing!
Plenty of D1 coaches, including Cox recently, have made kids today comments about all of the transferring and still try to land good transfers. I don't think its as hypocritical as you're making it out to be.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
I have a subscription. It is the message board on 247. Anything specific you are looking to read?
The article said it listed the top 2 potential landing spots
Last edited by DC_Rams 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Everything happens for a reason. Lets see if this pans out. What are the two schools mentioned?
0 x
GO RAMS
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

The Xavier VIP thread (you can get a 7-day free trial) has a couple of posts from their program insiders. Brian Snow says he's hearing Rhode Island and St. Joe's as the two most likely destinations.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

247 Article

Xavier freshman Dahmir Bishop is leaving the team and has entered the transfer portal.o
The news was confirmed to MusketeerReport Thursday morning.

Bishop's decision comes after Xavier's 68-62 loss at Villanova to open Big East play. A Philadelphia native, Bishop didn't get off the bench for the second-straight game.

Sources told MusketeerReport that Bishop's lack of playing time was the motivating factor behind his choice to leave Xavier. He had been considering it prior to the Villanova game but not getting on the floor while playing in his hometown was the final straw.

Prior to the TCU and Nova games, Bishop played just three minutes against Western Carolina and five minutes at Wake Forest. He didn't play in the two games prior to that against Cincinnati and Green Bay.

When asked about Bishop's dwindling minutes in multiple press conferences and radio shows, Steele said each time that he needed to earn his minutes in practice.

Bishop played in 10 games for Xavier and averaged 1.6 points, 2.5 rebounds, 0.9 assists, and 0.7 turnovers in 12.0 minutes per game while shooting 17.9% from the field and 11.8% (2-17) from 3-point range.

Expect Xavier to be a major player in the graduate transfer market this spring to try and add depth to make up for Bishop's departure. Also, the Musketeers will likely look to add multiple wings in the 2021 class now with more future minutes now available.

Bishop was ranked 117th overall in the 2019 class. It's not yet known where he'll transfer.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: ‘19 PA SG - Dahmir Bishop (Xavier transfer)

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Could he transfer to UConn this year and play in the Big East next year?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Hopefully he's behind the bench tonight.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago Could he transfer to UConn this year and play in the Big East next year?
Their twelve spots are filled, but I don’t think so, or at least that’s what was told to me in a conversation about Akinjo. Jackson’s likely better than him anyway.
Last edited by ace 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

thatRamBand wrote: 4 years ago The Xavier VIP thread (you can get a 7-day free trial) has a couple of posts from their program insiders. Brian Snow says he's hearing Rhode Island and St. Joe's as the two most likely destinations.
No way he goes to St. Joe’s. They stink and their trajectory doesn’t look favorable.
1 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago He can not transfer yo another BE school, correct? Because PC could really use him and actually have more open scholarships then we do next year.
You need to have an open scholarship for January which PC doesn’t.
Most Conferences add a year penalty for a transfer in Conference (has to sit out 2 years).
Thats right didnt even think of that aspect about needing the open scholie. But they do have 4 for next year and cant sign anyone yet 😂😂
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

When he was being recruited last year by Temple, there was talk of people wanting to get him away from Philly (was that his parents? I can't remember). So, if it's between us St. Joe's....
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Kid won’t be swayed by the bright lights again. He knows Cox, and his family believe his intentions are genuine.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

So if we land Bishop he sits out all next year then we get him for 3 full years ????
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I’m not sure how he could look at what Fatts has become here and not come to Rhody. Ish, wood and Bishop is a pretty solid sounding backcourt after Fatts graduates.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

reef, since he's leaving before the start of 2nd semester, he would sit a year and be eligible for 2 and a half years, like Walker.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago So if we land Bishop he sits out all next year then we get him for 3 full years ????
If he gets a waiver (I think unlikely) he would be eligible at the start of the season next year and play 3 seasons.
If he doesn’t get the waiver, he would be eligible in late December next year and play 2 1/2 seasons.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I would think we have a great chance to get him.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I don’t see Penn State as a landing spot.
They do have an open scholarship.
They have signed four ‘20 recruits for next year - two SGs, SF & C.
They have four Guards on the current roster returning next year - 2 Jrs & 2 Sophs.
They have three Srs - two Fs & one G
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

VCU doesn’t appear to be an option.
They have 13 scholarship players on their roster.
They have 5 Seniors.
They have signed 4 players for ‘20 class - PG, SG, SF & PF
Their Sr class has 3 Guards & 2 Forwards
Their Fr class has 3 Guards
They return 4-5 Guards next year plus have 2 signed.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

If they don’t have a scholarship for the start of the second semester then I’d think that would eliminate them outright, regardless of what they have recruited for next year. I doubt anyone leaving school now is trying to sit at home until the summer then likely sit out all of next year at their new school.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago If they don’t have a scholarship for the start of the second semester then I’d think that would eliminate them outright, regardless of what they have recruited for next year. I doubt anyone leaving school now is trying to sit at home until the summer then likely sit out all of next year at their new school.
Unless a school that wants him pushes one of their own kids out to create a spot.
Don't laugh, it happens.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago If they don’t have a scholarship for the start of the second semester then I’d think that would eliminate them outright, regardless of what they have recruited for next year. I doubt anyone leaving school now is trying to sit at home until the summer then likely sit out all of next year at their new school.
Unless a school that wants him pushes one of their own kids out to create a spot.
Don't laugh, it happens.
In the middle of the year? The scholarship is good for the year. They aren’t pushing a kid out on Jan 2nd.
VCU could have someone leave by their own choice. I have heard of a few players leaving A10 schools in the last two weeks.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

If we land him there is going to be a battle for playing time in the backcourt next season. Bishop could get a little bit ahead by practicing this upcoming semester but fall behind if either freshman comes out of the gate strong next season.
0 x