‘19 PA SG - Dahmir Bishop (Xavier > St Joe’s > FGCU)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Re: ‘19 PA SG - Dahmir Bishop (Xavier transfer)

Unread post by Ramulous »

I’m not sold on the player.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago I’m not sold on the player.
That’s too bad. Kid is a player.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Re: ‘19 PA SG - Dahmir Bishop (Xavier Commit)

Unread post by giovanni »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
ace wrote: 4 years ago I’m not sure there’s anything more indicative of a certain aspect of fandom then some people slamming guys for transferring- kids today! with their need for immediate gratification and unwillingness to stick it out in a tough situation!- and then turning around and being all, that guy? Who did the same thing? Sure, get him, would welcome him with open arms. It’s just so great.
Haha yeah, came here to say the exact same thing!
Plenty of D1 coaches, including Cox recently, have made kids today comments about all of the transferring and still try to land good transfers. I don't think its as hypocritical as you're making it out to be.

I also agree, I do not see as hypocritical as fan or as coach. Just because you do not like something that is happening and question the thought process of why it is happening the last several years much more frequently,fact is it is common place now and the way of the game, so you go with the flow. What are you going to say to kid the may want to come to your program and can help, no we don't want you because I don't like what's happening? Of course you would check out the circumstances around transferring but not deny a young man that can help your team. Many years ago when hardship began, there were a ton of coaches who opposed it. As time progressed we see more one and dones each year. I am sure there are still coaches out there that do not like it, and as a fan my personal opinion is I do not like it, but It's clearly never going to change and only fair, but that doesn't mean you have to like it or a coach has to like it to except a one and done recruit? I don't think there are a lot of coaches and fans out there that would oppose that type of player coming into there program.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves trying to allocate playing time between Bishop and our incoming freshmen. Cox and Co still need to do their due diligence and get him to sign up here. I think he’d be a great get. Hope it works out.
3 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I like our history with top 150 type talent that finds their way to Rhode Island after a slow(er) start at their first start.

Stanford, Kuran, Gilvydas (full name used for Ace) and Walker all come to mind.

I like this for a few reasons with Dahmir, specifically:
1. Would continue our pipeline to Philly
2. Would act as added insurance that Fatts + Tyrese stick around (no red flags, but the more insurance the better)
3. Added warm body for the remainder of the year
4. We clearly have a serious need in the 1-3 spot next year

Hopefully he finds his way to Rhode Island. I'd imagine LaSalle would get a look with David Beatty, IMHOTEP guard, choosing Ashley Howard and co. following a short stint at South Carolina.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I saw him play in Vegas when we were recruiting him he hit an early 3 then didn’t do much

It was just one game so not enough for me to form an opinion do trust the staff
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago I like our history with top 150 type talent that finds their way to Rhode Island after a slow(er) start at their first start.

Stanford, Kuran, Gilvydas (full name used for Ace) and Walker all come to mind.
That actually made me laugh :)

On that list, Stan, Kuran, and Antwan were pretty much told to go elsewhere, and the situation at Rutgers had become untenable for Gilvydas. I like to be that type of program- where guys take advantage of a second chance and are supported. It’s a good sell to recruits, and it’s also just doing right by these young men. Bishop would obviously be a different sort of case, but it could work out very well on all sides.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

If Hammond got 12 minutes a game would he have matched Bishop’s stats ? Is his 3pt % go way up by moving from Cincinnati to Hooterville ?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I’m not sure there is a big enough sample either way to form an opinion based on this year’s stats, but obviously during the recruitment period URI (and everyone else) had Bishop rated as the better player. More importantly, even if they are similarly talented, they’re in different situations. Hammond was upset he was not playing this year, as is Bishop at Xavier. But Hammond likely would have seen the floor here next year, and Bishop would come in knowing he can’t play this year but with the promise of minutes next year. The irony in all of this transferring is that guys get impatient and don’t want to wait until next year to play so they want to leave, and in so doing they ensure that they will have to wait until next year to play.

In this case, if we essentially traded Hammond for Bishop, you’d have to view that as a win since we’d have preferred to have Bishop last year and settled for Hammond as a fall back - again irony: if Bishop had come here this year he likely wouldn’t have played much here either, and could be looking to leave URI right now.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I have seen Bishop play a good number of times in AAU. He is a slasher. His outside shot is his weakness. He was a good defender and a good rebounder. He is much quicker than Tyrese. Defensively he could cover the SG. He can play the 2 or 3. Stan didn’t have a good outside shot and had great success at Rhody.

Bishop was URI’s #1 target last year. There is no way Coach Cox would pass up the opportunity to get him as a transfer. This would be a win for Coach Cox. Remember his quote after a recent practice on recruiting - priority is to replace Cyril and then take the best player. To me that is Cox saying the best player regardless of position. Bishop would be that for the players Rhody is currently recruiting.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago

Haha yeah, came here to say the exact same thing!
Plenty of D1 coaches, including Cox recently, have made kids today comments about all of the transferring and still try to land good transfers. I don't think its as hypocritical as you're making it out to be.

I also agree, I do not see as hypocritical as fan or as coach. Just because you do not like something that is happening and question the thought process of why it is happening the last several years much more frequently,fact is it is common place now and the way of the game, so you go with the flow. What are you going to say to kid the may want to come to your program and can help, no we don't want you because I don't like what's happening? Of course you would check out the circumstances around transferring but not deny a young man that can help your team. Many years ago when hardship began, there were a ton of coaches who opposed it. As time progressed we see more one and dones each year. I am sure there are still coaches out there that do not like it, and as a fan my personal opinion is I do not like it, but It's clearly never going to change and only fair, but that doesn't mean you have to like it or a coach has to like it to except a one and done recruit? I don't think there are a lot of coaches and fans out there that would oppose that type of player coming into there program.
Yeah of course not, I totally agree and in no way meant to imply that coaches or fans should not want transfers. You have to play the game. Just thought it was funny the difference in reactions to whether its our player transferring out or a player we like potentially transferring in.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Pull the trigger if you can get him.

Sounds like Xavier wanted him to be a shooter, or at least wanted one of their 3 swingmen to be a shooter, and it didn't pan out and that was the source of their disappointment.

We don't necessarily need him for that capacity. Picture all of the things Fatts brings to the table minus the streaky 3 pt shot, in a larger body.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago

Yeah of course not, I totally agree and in no way meant to imply that coaches or fans should not want transfers. You have to play the game. Just thought it was funny the difference in reactions to whether its our player transferring out or a player we like potentially transferring in.
Nah, you’re right. Cox thinks it’s a systemic problem, but he knows he has to work within that system and fill out a roster. There can’t be a moral high ground in that- just get your guys.

It’s the fans who say that transferring is some sort of character flaw and how glad they are to have THOSE types out of their program... and then trip over themselves welcoming a guy who did just that. That’s hypocrisy, which you understand- but it’s not serious, just funny. I like people who can laugh at themselves. And if you’re reading this and that’s not you, then move on. Hit dogs holler and all that.

Those other comments are talking about something else. The transfers aren’t the problem. Eighteen-year-olds are notoriously bad decision makers. Anytime they want to course correct should be fine.
5 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago I’m not sold on the player.
That’s too bad. Kid is a player.
I just saw the news on Bishop transferring. Only good news I have seen today. You should definitely be sold on this kid. He is a more polished and talented version of Hammond that has played against high end competition in high school. This would be a great get. Hopefully Fatts and him are still close after he selected Xavier over URI. I hope we are all over this.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Bishop would be a nice get....but he doesn't shoot well from outside.....

We need consistently good OUTSIDE shooters.

Leggett looks like he will be.....but we need more.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Bishop would be a nice get....but he doesn't shoot well from outside.....

We need consistently good OUTSIDE shooters.

Leggett looks like he will be.....but we need more.
You are right in that we need more. We need 1-2 bigs for sure. I just saw us having a hard time filling three scholarships with where we stood in the recruiting trail. Former top 100 player that has great talent
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I don’t mind taking a really good player who needs to work on his outside shot (i.e. Terrell) especially if he has to sit a year and can just work on it.

However, we do need to find some guys who can shoot the ball. It has been a problem for 20 years now with the exception of Jimmy Baron. Even with Baron we got super athletic players who were not really good outside shooters. How the game has changed, we need guys who can hit outside shots.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Xavier coach said being home sick played a role. I think he’ll end up in the A10 and it’s between us LaSalle and St Joes.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

None of this other schools recruited him like we did.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Kingston isn't exactly close to Philly.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Kingston isn't exactly close to Philly.
Touché. But those other two schools are bottom tier.
2 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

How long does it take to get to Philly from here by car? Maybe 5 hours? It's not exactly the dark side of the moon.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It’s a doable drive for a game and it’s also like an hour flight.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

He may want La Salle or St Joe's so he can be the guy there.

Have to like our chances though.

Come here and play. Maybe be the star at some point.

Compete for tournament level teams.

Can he come play now pls?
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

LaSalle may be a good fit in his eyes- philly/ team trending in the right direction/can slide in and immediately be a big contributor.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

If we didn't have the recent history with Terrell, maybe I wouldn't be as interested in a player like this.

But, even without being a shooter, a guy like this who plays D and slashes the lane can be the glue that holds a really good team together.

You don't really need to twist my arm on this one.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

According to posters on the La Salle message board, La Salle doesn't have any immediately available scholarships to accept a mid-year transfer.

In addition to us and Xavier, Temple was also in Bishop's final 8 schools.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I’m sorry, I could never get excited about playing at LaSalles facilities and temple is located in a war zone.
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Maybe Fatts can convince him ???
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Not sure why some people on KB are down on Bishop. He was our top recruit last year. Would be a great get.
4 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Spook
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Spook »

I just witnessed a 19 point half. Pass on players who can’t throw the ball in the ocean. Enough.
0 x
Spook
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Spook »

I just witnessed a 19 point half. The object of this sport is to put the ball in the basket. Pass on players who can’t throw the ball in the ocean.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Spook wrote: 4 years ago I just witnessed a 19 point half. The object of this sport is to put the ball in the basket. Pass on players who can’t throw the ball in the ocean.
I second this. We need to recruit a big and a couple of kids that can shoot. We have noone on this team that can even hit 2 shots in a row. I vote no on another slasher that can't shoot.. you need to have someone that can shoot the 3 ball.. the last 2 abysmal efforts have been glaring examples of this need.. other teams hit the 3.. we don't.. game set match.. Shooter(s) please
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

You guys are crazy. We need talented players of all sorts.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

We passed on Tyler Bertram. He's a great shooter.
0 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago We passed on Tyler Bertram. He's a great shooter.
He is 0-15 3PT so far this year.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Urifan91 wrote: 4 years ago
I saw this and figured he must be joking. Bertram’s stats are equivalent to a bad walk on to this point.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

In terms of Bishop I get everyone’s problem with the lack of shooting. I have said it time and time again on not winning in today’s college basketball without shooters, but Bishop is a top 100 talent that we should want very much and we have three scholarships left. One could be for a center/big and the other a shooter. I also think we haven’t seen the last of the transfers here. If nothing else we need to replace the bad shooters that will be graduating soon with more bad shooters to keep the tradition going. 😀
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Nobody here wanted Stan Robinson either because “we didn’t need anymore guards.” Thankfully fans don’t make these calls.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Urifan91 wrote: 4 years ago
I'm shocked by this. He hadn't played in a game in about a year and a half. Maybe that is affecting him. I saw him play. He is a great shooter.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

They have three open scholarships, they need to take Bishop if he is willing.

We need shooters, yes, but we need athleticism too, to stay on top of the conference.

We have frontcourt players on this team, right now, who are taking open shots behind the 3 point line at will. Someone needs to put a stop to that.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just say yes to Bishop !!

I forget where did Tyler Bertrum enroll at ??
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Charlotte
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow hard to believe he is 0-15 so far averages 10 minutes a game too
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

:roll:
reef wrote: 5 years ago Wow just finding this out now and what a punch to the gut

Nice job D.C. Rams predicting this

Oh well I saw him in person and he didn't impress so it's time to move on
Went back through the entire 14 pages, whew!
I had read somewhere that Bishop’s Sr year at Imhotep was a bit disappointing but I don’t see that in these pages so I must have read elsewhere or it’s possible I’m wrong on that.
Reef had seen Bishop play live, his comments attached after Bishop chose Xavier.

Bishops stats at Xavier. He got good minutes to prove himself for a freshman
  • 12 minutes per game for 10 games whereas Hammond got 13 TOTAL minutes
  • 5-28 FG for 17.9%
  • 2-17 on 3Ps for 11.8%
  • 4-13 FT for 30.6%
  • 2.9 rebounds per game
  • 9 assists 7 turnovers
Hammond only saw 13 total minutes for URI. He was 1-3 on 3Ps, 2-2 FT, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 Turnover.

I wish Hammond could have gotten the look that Bishop got at Xavier. Just not enough minutes to formulate any king of opinion in Hammond. Bishop got about 10x as much playing time as Hammond then left because of not getting enough playing time at Xavier :roll: :roll:
Bishop got plenty of opportunity. I wish Hammond had gotten a better look especially knowing Sheppard was out and we are so thin at PG. I thought Hammond player good defense for an incoming Freshman and a good 6’5” frame. Best of luck to Greg.

I’m with Ramulous on this regarding Bishop.
6275EB29-55E8-4003-A800-C93012508268.png
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That's a pretty fair sample size regarding Bishop.

We don't need another bricklayer, we have enough now.

We need shooting guards and another big man.

You know, shooting guards that can actually shoot.

Sheppard could be the answer, but for only one season.

Hammond may turn out to be pretty good for someone else.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Some freshman press when they get minutes. I think that’s the story with Bishop. He is leagues better than Greg. I would welcome Bishop with open arms.
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

We should not pass on Bishop if given the chance. High level player. Against man-to-man defenses you also need guys who can beat their man off the dribble. We only have two of those guys this year and one of them is leaving. A good shooter can be wasted in man-to-man if you can't make the defense react. You need to have both components.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It seems that whenever a player becomes available for transfer, ie Bishop, is Doherty, and also HS players we are recruiting that 99% of the time posters want to lock the player up. It’s very rare for posters to say we should wait for better options.
It’s a shame Hammond got a grand total of 13 minutes.
Don’t you think recruiters use that against us?
I’m left to having to trust the staff.

I’m sure I’ll be in the 1% to 5% to say I’ve got reservations about Bishop. Our biggest weakness going into this season was and is proving to be shooting. Teams like Davidson, VCU, Dayton have 3-5 guys capable of shooting the 3 effectively. In today’s game you need shooters.

Bishop’s numbers are weak in FG, 3P and FTs

But it’s up to the Coaching staff of course. I’m not excited but that’s irrelevant.
0 x