Stop Linking, Clicking, or Giving Creedence To GoLocalProv

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Stop Linking, Clicking, or Giving Creedence To GoLocalProv

Unread post by Blue Man »

There was another ridiculous story put out by our friends at GoLocal. I will not link it, I didn’t read it, I was sent the headline and laughed, as should anyone.

For anyone who does not understand how 21st century ad revenue is generated, every time you click on a story, share a story, retweet a story - that equals money for the person posting it.

The more clicks means the more ad dollars generated for the company.

Please stop clicking on their bullshit, and mods please delete the links if posted here.

The credibility of this board is something I question constantly...but this board looks like the Wall Street Journal compared to the drivel they put out.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Stop Linking, Clicking, or Giving Creedence To GoLocalProv

Unread post by TruePoint »

Ugh. I was sent the same article. Don’t give them the traffic, please.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Y’all probably just drove the clicks up x10

Ignore, like the ProJo is way to go, starting threads is not.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Post a screen shot of the article on here so people can see what the article was without visiting their site.
2 x
ramsman75
Jeff Kent

Unread post by ramsman75 »

Actually, not bad...interview with the Godfather:

According to Terino, not only did discussions take place with Pitino during this coaching search, but that there were preliminary discussions with Pitino after he quit the Celtics and the Rams were moving on from two failed years of Jerry DeGregorio as head coach

With regard to Pitino, Terino said, “I think a deal could have been done. URI is an attractive place and the Pitinos would love to be here."

“With Pitino, URI becomes one of the top ten programs in America,” said Terino in during interview which took place at the cafe in Venda Ravioli on Federal Hill on Friday morning.

For Terino, who may be one of the most quotable college basketball boosters in America, the future of URI basketball is bright. He thinks newly named head coach David Cox will be successful.

“I like him a lot," said Terino, shrugging off the criticism that some URI assistants haven’t been successful. “He will do well. Recruiting makes a lot of coaches look good.”

Terino says college basketball is dirty. He said he has seen it at every school and under every coach, but did point out that he never saw it under Hurley.

“He did not socialize with the alums. He kept to himself,” said Terino. “He was clean.”

He also warned recruits that if they are coming to play for a specific coach over a specific school, that they will be disappointed. "There are few allegiances,” said Terino.

Finally, regarding the difference between URI’s location and UConn’s Storrs, Terino didn't mince words.

“The State of Connecticut could use an enema and the place to insert it is in Storrs. It is not exactly a place you can see the ocean from,” said Terino.
1 x
ramsman75
Jeff Kent

Unread post by ramsman75 »

ramsman75 wrote:“The State of Connecticut could use an enema and the place to insert it is in Storrs. It is not exactly a place you can see the ocean from,” said Terino.
I think this will be my tagline!
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good stuff from The Godfather Bobby Terino
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I don't know a single thing about Terino. Can someone let me know who this guy is?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Pitino came out and denied the whole URI thing. So someone is lying.
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Iggy1979 wrote:Pitino came out and denied the whole URI thing. So someone is lying.

Rick's denied a few things in his life. Has he actually admitted to anything surrounding him?

I do recall how Dan was not into some of these boosters and kept his space when they offered opinions. Have no doubt Dan ran a tight ship in the not so clean world of college basketball
2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Everyone could be telling the "truth"

Boosters and Pitino talk about the possibility......boosters speak with Thorr as to whether there would be interest...Thorr talks to Dooley who says no....Thorr lets boosters know there is no interest...Thorr never speaks to Pitino or his representatives...no contract is ever presented to Dooley....Pitino tells the press No....everyone is telling the truth....everyone......
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

We now know the unnamed source of the false report on GoLocalProv. If there was any contact with Pitino, I had suspected it was done by boosters. My guess is that URI also did not authorize any discussions. I would venture it was done with the good intentions of this booster but he acted on his own. He may have then relayed information back to URI but there was absolutely no way the school was going to hire Pitino at this time (2001 was another matter) given all his past and present as yet unresolved baggage.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Without knowing anything, I pretty much figured it was either Terino or Caruso or both, that had reached out to Pitino. Obviously it wasn't Tom Ryan.

Somethings don't change. I applaud Bob Terino, the Rhody Godfather, in his tireless pursuit to elevate the program to unprecedented levels.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote:Without knowing anything, I pretty much figured it was either Terino or Caruso or both, that had reached out to Pitino. Obviously it wasn't Tom Ryan.

Somethings don't change. I applaud Bob Terino, the Rhody Godfather, in his tireless pursuit to elevate the program to unprecedented levels.
I applaud everything Terino and those guys have done for the basketball program over the years, too. The guy is a legend and there is no doubt his heart is in the right place and he wants the best for URI. But I think the days are past where we need to have anyone acting as a shadow athletic director. This isn't the Bumpkin Administration with Carothers and Petro. The best thing boosters can do at this stage is keep the coffers full and let the professionals do their jobs.
7 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Terino represents a lifetime of passion towards one thing. I noticed behind the scenes, back two decades ago, that there were plenty of people who envied Terino. Thought he had too much influence. He made Harrick/Odom happen almost single handed. Without that, no Ryan Center and a host of other things that have happened since.

So long as he represents a positive influence behind the scenes, a tireless promoter and ambassador of the program, someone who whispers into the right ears, including our own buddy Rod for many years, then I think he should continue to do as he always has.

He mentioned Hurley kept to himself. Meaning he didn't lean on boosters like Bob. Cox may go the same way. It's nice to know that there are people who are ready, able, and willing to help if necessary though.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Speaking of a site that it best not to click on - add John Rooke's WEEI Thinking out loud column. He recently commented on the Hurley departure with his typical condescending attitude toward URI. All his usual tripe including Dan's departure "not unexpected." He of course had to bring PC into a URI topic finding a way to cast the Friars in a positive light. His disdain for URI always seeps out. Rooke is such a tool. You can always count on him making an ass of himself over and over again.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

A leopard can't change his spots, RF1. Rooke is just being true to form. That inherent arrogance for all things PC and the Big East is just who he is.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Much easier to tolerate tools when you beat their team
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that Caruso never spoke with Pitino.
Same for Terino.
Bob also says the reporter misquoted him numerous times, and he only said that there may have been a booster or two who still had dialogue with Pitino. Nothing about that ever getting to Thorr and Dooley, and nothing that was ever significant.
This is another GoLocal hatchet job.
8 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that Caruso never spoke with Pitino.
Same for Terino.
Bob also says the reporter misquoted him numerous times, and he only said that there may have been a booster or two who still had dialogue with Pitino. Nothing about that ever getting to Thorr and Dooley, and nothing that was ever significant.
This is another GoLocal hatchet job.
I would, uh, take this pretty much as gospel.

BAR - someone should get word to Bob that golocal is not worthy of his time. They are on the naughty list!
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

BAR, was Terino aware what "publication" he was interviewing for? It's a shame he gave them any time. Hopefully now he won't ever share a word with them.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Why is it obvious that Tom Ryan was not involved?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I would take BAR's info with a grain of salt......I don't think he knows Caruso or Terino.....

Given we don't have a Sarcasm tag, I wanted to give maximum attention to the sarcasm here via Comic Sans font. - ATP
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Terino says college basketball is dirty. He said he has seen it at every school and under every coach, but did point out that he never saw it under Hurley.

—————

This is my favorite part. At the very, very least, I expect a writer to know what the word “every” means. When you’re going to paraphrase an alleged quote, don’t be stupid.
4 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

The integrity of Hurley was evident.....it is why we hope Cox continues doing things the right way....and why many of us here didn't really want Pitino to represent our alma mater.....
5 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

We love to start threads about ProJo

We love to start threads about GoLocal

We love to whine

If you really think we didn't at least unofficially kick the tires on Rick I got a nice piece of land for sale......

Doesn't matter, I'm all in on Cox cause he says we gonna run!

Let's Go Rhody
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

hrstrat57 wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:We love to start threads about ProJo

We love to start threads about Golocal

We love to whine

If you really think we didn't at least unofficially kick the tires on Rick I got a nice piece of land for sale......

Let's Go Rhody
Oh my that asshole hrstrat57 did a typo

Missed the point as usual

Fixed it thanks.
Last edited by hrstrat57 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:We love to start threads about ProJo

We love to start threads about Golocal

We love to whine

Let's Go Rhody
Oh my that asshole hrstrat57 did a typo

Missed the point as usual
I didn’t miss the point. Just trying to help, my man.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell to anyone who really believes that URI administrators ever gave Pitino serious consideration. Thinking they did is an insult to them as it assumes they have zero ethics, integrity, and self respect.

If boosters had contact with Pitino, it was an unauthorized rogue operation.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

...and I think...to think that they gave him no consideration at all...would be an insult to them... Tie. Still totally irrelevant now, but a tie.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

No consideration. None.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

And this is kind of the issue now, right? People demand proof of things that don't match up with what they want to be true. Then when presented with that proof repeatedly they just assume everyone is lying and continue to believe that what they want to be true still is.
2 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Bottom line is Pitino is NOT the coach and was not selected even if there were some consideration, so who cares or what difference does it really make? Maybe for those who wanted Pitino and even then "what if" serves no purpose and means nothing. Why these articles were even written is beyond me. To get some attention, to get some clicks and to give the few that are unhappy something to speculate and complain about. And from pro PC people on top of that.
9 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Speaking of PC the Boston Globe last Sunday had an article discussing how many of New England's small private colleges are losing significant enrollment and they had a chart of the 25 schools who's undergraduate enrollment has shrunk the most the last 20 years and PC was on the list, enrollment in 1996 4595 in 2016 4034. Title of Article: Colleges in Peril as Numbers Dwindle
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RIFan wrote:Speaking of PC the Boston Globe last Sunday had an article discussing how many of New England's small private colleges are losing significant enrollment and they had a chart of the 25 schools who's undergraduate enrollment has shrunk the most the last 20 years and PC was on the list, enrollment in 1996 4595 in 2016 4034. Title of Article: Colleges in Peril as Numbers Dwindle
People can't afford it.
1 x
Paleoguy
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Paleoguy »

adam914 wrote:And this is kind of the issue now, right? People demand proof of things that don't match up with what they want to be true. Then when presented with that proof repeatedly they just assume everyone is lying and continue to believe that what they want to be true still is.
Absolutely. It's the Post Truth era. And we haven't even begun to understand how much that is going to suck. Probably the reason membership is up in the Flat Earth Society...
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Paleoguy wrote:
adam914 wrote:And this is kind of the issue now, right? People demand proof of things that don't match up with what they want to be true. Then when presented with that proof repeatedly they just assume everyone is lying and continue to believe that what they want to be true still is.
Absolutely. It's the Post Truth era. And we haven't even begun to understand how much that is going to suck. Probably the reason membership is up in the Flat Earth Society...
I think the post-truth era, or truth as a subjective concept, has been around for at least as long as..."I never had sex with that woman"... :roll:
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Remember Stretch Armstrong, the rubber man?

The truth is like that toy. He's designed so no matter how much you stretch him, he snaps back into place. Careful on the rebound, you're likely to get a boot or fist to the face.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Post-truth era is a result of the internet. Before, people with uninformed, ridiculous beliefs would keep it to themselves or be shunned in their social circles. Now, there is a place on the internet for every misguided believer to get with other misguided believers where they can embolden eachother to bring it put into the open.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

BleedBlue87 wrote:Post-truth era is a result of the internet. Before, people with uninformed, ridiculous beliefs would keep it to themselves or be shunned in their social circles. Now, there is a place on the internet for every misguided believer to get with other misguided believers where they can embolden eachother to bring it put into the open.
This is exactly what everyone my age said when the interweb came out. Don’t believe anything you read on it untill verified. But, alas, people believe and it is not good.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Webbernet.PNG
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Iggy1979 wrote:Pitino came out and denied the whole URI thing. So someone is lying.

Apparently, the fools over at GoLocal get an idea in their head, and they run with it as an article. They believe in their faux journalism since they propose everything as a question. Being the inquiring mind that I am, I finally found out the name of the "journalist" who does their sports coverage. His name is Joseph Calabro. Looks like a complete and utter clown. The CEO is Josh Fenton. Can't even keep staff let alone PAY them.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Fenton, alas, went to URI.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Calabro went to Hartford and has no professional experience as a reporter or writer. He has been a cameraman for some Brown games on the internet and has a show on a little Woonsocket AM station. His own linkdin is riddled with spelling and grammar errors and literally reads like a fourth grader wrote it. This kid is straight up unemployable as a writer anywhere else. He seems like a nice guy and I'm sure he's fine at holding a camera but good lord GoLocal has low standards.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Give no attention to pieces that have no named author such as the case with GolocalProv. These anti URI pieces have been attributed to their "Sports Team." Their site however has no listing with specific actual names of such team.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Fenton's an asshole. He tried to get me to buy $5000 in ads for something I was working on. I told him no and he literally started running negative attack pieces on who I was working for the very next day. I would like to say it was a coincidence but he's done the exact same thing to two other people I know.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The sad part is that supposedly legit media cited and perpetuated a report from such a weak journalism source that had already been denied. It is sad that other media did no due diligence in looking up the reputation of GoLocalProv and seeing that such report cited no named sources and was not authored by any named individual. Furthermore, a very quick review of the matter would also have revealed that URI issued a press release totally denying the veracity of the report. Poor journalism all around.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RF1 wrote:The sad part is that supposedly legit media cited and perpetuated a report from such a weak journalism source that had already been denied. It is sad that other media did no due diligence in looking up the reputation of GoLocalProv and seeing that such report cited no named sources and was not authored by any named individual. Furthermore, a very quick review of the matter would also have revealed that URI issued a press release totally denying the veracity of the report. Poor journalism all around.
I hate to use the term "fake news" because of you-now-who, but that's exactly how it gets perpetuated. And why you should always verify what you read online with skepticism at all times.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

BleedBlue87 wrote:Fenton's an asshole. He tried to get me to buy $5000 in ads for something I was working on. I told him no and he literally started running negative attack pieces on who I was working for the very next day. I would like to say it was a coincidence but he's done the exact same thing to two other people I know.
Sound like the Vito Corleone School of Journalism
2 x