The David Cox Era

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The David Cox Era

Unread post by Blue Man »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago

I’ve been waiting to see a post from you that denounces your “drunken overreaction” after the Providence game. Has that happened yet?

Killed me to see that coming from you....I aspire to be the level of “fan” you are man lol....
I figured I did it in the PC thread. I was at a friendsgiving party and chugged a glass of wine every time fatts missed a shot. Needless to say I was dead blackout by about 830. Pretty obvious it was an incredible drunken reaction and based on my overall body of posting it was extremely out of the norm.

If it would make you feel better I can go and resurrect it so it jumps to the top of the message board again so that everyone can relive that game, or we can all just move on with the knowledge that it was probably a really emotional and drunk post from a drunk stupid idiot.

Obviously the guy who preached patience into year 5 with Dan Hurley wouldn't be jumping to "this coach doesn't have it" by game 5 with Cox.

Not sure what else you need my lord, does this please thee or shall I humbly perform a walk of shame in front of thine castle?
Bend the knee....LOL!

It’s all good man, just busting your balls.
Haha I know, #metoo, sarcasm is tough to read in text
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago

Can argue for year 2 for Baron (USC) and year 2 for Hurley (down at LSU), but point remains. Cox is off to the fastest start of the bunch
Certainly could argue it, I just don't view either of those schools as "household name basketball" schools. I figure if you know USC or LSU it's for football.

Fair point though.
USC finished 2002-03 91st in RPI and LSU finished 2013-14 59th. Right now West Virginia is 40th, but I wouldn't be surprised if they drop
My overall point being that the "casual fan" doesn't look at the RPI profile of a team, they really only look at name recognition/nationally televised game/national ranking.

Make no mistake, a West Virginia win in front of a great URI crowd on national TV is HUGE for Cox moving forward.

If we win a couple in Hawaii, we'll start to see big numbers packing the Ryan Center starting when VCU comes to town in January.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Certainly could argue it, I just don't view either of those schools as "household name basketball" schools. I figure if you know USC or LSU it's for football.

Fair point though.
USC finished 2002-03 91st in RPI and LSU finished 2013-14 59th. Right now West Virginia is 40th, but I wouldn't be surprised if they drop
My overall point being that the "casual fan" doesn't look at the RPI profile of a team, they really only look at name recognition/nationally televised game/national ranking.

Make no mistake, a West Virginia win in front of a great URI crowd on national TV is HUGE for Cox moving forward.

If we win a couple in Hawaii, we'll start to see big numbers packing the Ryan Center starting when VCU comes to town in January.
True, but I think opening up a new arena and beating a BCS school that had been to two straight tournaments and made the Elite Eight two years earlier would register with casual fans.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

True, but I think opening up a new arena and beating a BCS school that had been to two straight tournaments and made the Elite Eight two years earlier would register with casual fans.
Completely fair argument - was an amazing atmosphere to be at.

I think Baron killed so much that my memories of that time are tough to access.

So much time was lost in the Jerry D/Baron gap that it's tough to have any great feelings about what happened.

Just really nice to see this kind of trajectory from a guy we know helped to build the program to where it is today. It just means to me that there are great days ahead, and that Cox helped Hurley build a program here - not just a flash-in-the-pan team.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I mean, Blue Man once ruled Hurley wholly incapable of being a head coach and then later, um, offered to perform certain “acts” on him. You have to learn to ride out the “hot takes” with that one 😀
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ace wrote: 5 years ago I mean, Blue Man once ruled Hurley wholly incapable of being a head coach and then later, um, offered to perform certain “acts” on him. You have to learn to ride out the “hot takes” with that one 😀
I don’t think I ever ruled Danny in that way.

I’m pretty sure I was hated number one king fan boy on here even when we were on the wrong side of some close ones.

That being said, my hot takes do come with a 5 pepper rating.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace wrote: 5 years ago I mean, Blue Man once ruled Hurley wholly incapable of being a head coach and then later, um, offered to perform certain “acts” on him. You have to learn to ride out the “hot takes” with that one 😀

I’m pretty sure I was hated number one king fan boy on here even when we were on the wrong side of some close ones.

It was after a VCU game. He got mad, you got mad at him getting mad. It was a whole thing...
You are a man of extremes!

:)
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ace wrote: 5 years ago

It was after a VCU game. He got mad, you got mad at him getting mad. It was a whole thing...
You are a man of extremes!

:)
Lmao understatement of the year
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Blue Man is the man. I saw him on TV at the beginning of the game and he was on his feet getting on the zebras good stuff
3 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

3 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Blue Man is the man. I saw him on TV at the beginning of the game and he was on his feet getting on the zebras good stuff
Yeah, I turned to ATP when I saw where his seat was and said "how long do you think he lasts down there?" and sure enough...not very long. :P
But in Blueman's defense, he did nothing wrong. Kept the yelling clean. Too many sallies court-side. :lol:
2 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

The Dude wrote: 5 years ago
reef wrote: 5 years ago Blue Man is the man. I saw him on TV at the beginning of the game and he was on his feet getting on the zebras good stuff
Yeah, I turned to ATP when I saw where his seat was and said "how long do you think he lasts down there?" and sure enough...not very long. :P
But in Blueman's defense, he did nothing wrong. Kept the yelling clean. Too many sallies court-side. :lol:
As a long-time heckler, when a rabbit-eared referee reacts, I'm riding him like a horse the rest of the night. And, as Section 105 can attest (thanks for your patience for all these years), it's all clean material. That's the difference between URI and a certain hideous, disgusting institution that calls itself religious.
7 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 5 years ago
As a long-time heckler, when a rabbit-eared referee reacts, I'm riding him like a horse the rest of the night. And, as Section 105 can attest (thanks for your patience for all these years), it's all clean material. That's the difference between URI and a certain hideous, disgusting institution that calls itself religious.
......yes, I can attest......I enjoy the humor laced things I hear, miss them when you not there....
Heckling officials has been around the game as long as I can remember, which is along time.....even my CYO officiating experience including heckling......I gave out a couple of whistles with no pea to chronic hecklers......
Last edited by section(105) 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago

......yes, I can attest......I enjoy the humor laced things I hear, miss them when you not there....
Heckling officials has been around the game as long as I can remember, which is along time.....even my CYO officiating experience including heckling......I gave out a couple of whistles with no peanut to chronic hecklers......
Rumor had it that a few WV fans were tossed by Mohegan Sun security as well.

Absolutely absurd - but these refs are like certain coaches; It's everyone else's fault when they have a bad game.

Decided to take it out on the fans instead of just call a better game.
4 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago

Heckling officials has been around the game as long as I can remember, which is along time.....even my CYO officiating experience including heckling......I gave out a couple of whistles with no peanut to chronic hecklers......
Rumor had it that a few WV fans were tossed by Mohegan Sun security as well.

Absolutely absurd - but these refs are like certain coaches; It's everyone else's fault when they have a bad game.

Decided to take it out on the fans instead of just call a better game.
Sounds like they need to sit down, reflect, and grow a pair over the holidays.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Funny - I saw him too - all fired up !
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

One note to make , just realized during the cuse buffalo game that buffalos coach was Bobby Hurley’s assistant who had a similar passage to HC. His team is now a top 15 team, so assistant coaches CAN continue success.
1 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Sure can....look at Xavier's assistants who have done quite well as head coaches over the years.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Nate Oats was more famously also EC Matthews high school coach
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago One note to make , just realized during the cuse buffalo game that buffalos coach was Bobby Hurley’s assistant who had a similar passage to HC. His team is now a top 15 team, so assistant coaches CAN continue success.
Definitely can. The above mentioned Xavier is a great example. Wagner made a similar move by hiring Bashir Mason and moving him up the bench when Dan and Bobby left for URI. Under Mason, Wagner has won the NEC twice.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Just realized it’s Nate Oats lol. Now it makes sense.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Looks like Chase answers the question about working out during the season with this tweet. “You bet your ass we train hard during the season.” :D
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Looks like Chase answers the question about working out during the season with this tweet. “You bet your ass we train hard during the season.” :D
I wish there was a button that let me "like" this 100 times. :)
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I still think that weight training during the season affects shooting. If your level of strength is constantly changing, doesn’t it make sense that it affects how you shoot the ball? I think in-season workouts should be for maintaining strength and endurance, not increasing strength. That's for the off-season . I know, he does it for a living, I don't. Just an opinion...
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago I still think that weight training during the season affects shooting. If your level of strength is constantly changing, doesn’t it make sense that it affects how you shoot the ball? I think in-season workouts should be for maintaining strength and endurance, not increasing strength. That's for the off-season . I know, he does it for a living, I don't. Just an opinion...
It's a fair point - remember what strength training did to ruin Akeem Richmond's shot?
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago I still think that weight training during the season affects shooting. If your level of strength is constantly changing, doesn’t it make sense that it affects how you shoot the ball? I think in-season workouts should be for maintaining strength and endurance, not increasing strength. That's for the off-season . I know, he does it for a living, I don't. Just an opinion...
It's a fair point - remember what strength training did to ruin Akeem Richmond's shot?
Great example.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

This makes me a little uneasy, too, as a certified non-expert in strength training. Chase specifically mentions “training smart,” so I will just hope that term is being used with real meaning and not just to sound good.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

There has to be a reason we're the worst 3 pt. shooting team in the entire country, unless we simply are a team full of terrible shooters. Do I think we're a good outside shooting team? No. But I think we're far from the worst shooting team out of 351 teams (or whatever the number is now) in the entire country.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

For what it’s worth, I know that professional golfers such as Dustin Johnson and Brooks Koepka lift on the days they play in tournaments. If they can lift on days they play, I don’t see any reason why you can’t lift five or six days before a game. I don’t understand it but I know they do it.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Well Dustin Johnson can do it because of the booger sugar. Not really sure how anyone else does it.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If you're shooting a ball from 20 feet one day and the next day you're just a slight percentage stronger than you were the day before, the ball will not end up in the same place. Maybe that's over simplifying it but.....shooting involves muscle memory, that's why you practice and get up 200, 300 shots per day. If you keep changing the memory, you have to keep adjusting. The 200-300 shots you took a few days ago are useless. Doesn't this make sense to anyone but me?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago If you're shooting a ball from 20 feet one day and the next day you're just a slight percentage stronger than you were the day before, the ball will not end up in the same place. Maybe that's over simplifying it but.....shooting involves muscle memory, that's why you practice and get up 200, 300 shots per day. If you keep changing the memory, you have to keep adjusting. The 200-300 shots you took a few days ago are useless. Doesn't this make sense to anyone but me?
Personally, am allergic to weightlifting, so leaving it to the guys with degrees in it...non-issue to me.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago If you're shooting a ball from 20 feet one day and the next day you're just a slight percentage stronger than you were the day before, the ball will not end up in the same place. Maybe that's over simplifying it but.....shooting involves muscle memory, that's why you practice and get up 200, 300 shots per day. If you keep changing the memory, you have to keep adjusting. The 200-300 shots you took a few days ago are useless. Doesn't this make sense to anyone but me?
But aren't you different everyday? One day you're stronger, one day you're weaker, one day you're at full strength, one day you're tired or hurt? It feels like people are making too much of the weightlifting thing
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Serious question, you don’t think someone in the “profession” is aware or cognizant of these thoughts/theories?
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

But aren't you different everyday? One day you're stronger, one day you're weaker, one day you're at full strength, one day you're tired or hurt? It feels like people are making too much of the weightlifting thing
I could see it being an issue if taken to the extreme - more having to do with fatigue impacting mechanics than fluctuations in your physical strength impacting how “dialed-in” your shot is. I more or less agree with dc_rams, although I also get the concern considering we are dead last out of 350+ teams. If you told me that we were dead last AND we are the only team following the weight lifting regimen that we follow, that might make me a little more concerned.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So what's the reason we're dead last. We're just that bad?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I have no idea. It’s not a stupid theory, I just don’t know enough about what other teams do and what we’ve done in the past to conclude on whether it is right or not.

One possibility is that someone has to be last and we probably aren’t that great of a shooting team, but I would be kind of surprised if we finish dead last for the season.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Marshall had them lifting all season as well. This isn’t Chase’s first rodeo working with athletes either.
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Some days you're the bat and some days you're the ball.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Looking at 2 guys 3 pt. %......Jeff: Freshman year 35.1%, Soph. year, improved to 38.7%, this year 24.2%........Fatts: Last year 29.8%, this year 16.4%.......one thing for sure....it isn't helping.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Don't forget that Jeff and Fatts were not subject to defenses keying in on them and were often left with more open looks. This year, they are being treated as top options by opposing defenses - so they aren't getting the same looks as they did in the past and it can be assumed that they would probably see some sore of hit to their 3pt shooting %. As they get acclimated to their new roles, I'd be willing to bet that they will likely see their 3pt shooting % increase closer to their career average.

As far as the strength and conditioning portion, I'd tend to fall more towards the "let the professionals do their job" crowd. Does anybody know what, if any, differences there are between this year's S&C program as opposed to past seasons?
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Shaolin Swat wrote: 5 years ago Don't forget that Jeff and Fatts were not subject to defenses keying in on them and were often left with more open looks. This year, they are being treated as top options by opposing defenses - so they aren't getting the same looks as they did in the past and it can be assumed that they would probably see some sore of hit to their 3pt shooting %. As they get acclimated to their new roles, I'd be willing to bet that they will likely see their 3pt shooting % increase closer to their career average.

As far as the strength and conditioning portion, I'd tend to fall more towards the "let the professionals do their job" crowd. Does anybody know what, if any, differences there are between this year's S&C program as opposed to past seasons?
Slight changes from this year compared to last year. Chase knows Marshall and was happy that he was taking over for him. They have a similar approach/theory. I don’t know the details of the slight changes though.

My thoughts on Fatts’ shooting drop off are twofold - part mental (once he started off cold) and part physical injury. He had a boot on in Oct. He now wears a sleeve on his calf. I believe he either hurt his achillies or his calf. He has very little knee bend. He is shooting his FTs flatfooted. His missed shots seem to all come up short.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Also, might want to add their percentages dropped because they are both shooting MUCH more now.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Christ theres gonna be a tin foil shortage after this thread.

It has nothing to do with the strength training.

It's simple.

1. There is no go to threat teams have to fear. So they are free to stay closer to guys on the perimeter and not need to help. This is limiting the open looks.

2. With all the turnover the comfort level needs to be rebuilt. Guys are pressing and trying to do too much because they think it's needed to fill the deficit of EC and Terrell.

3. The choppy schedule. The long breaks between games is a rythym killer. You can't get on a hot streak or locked in shooting in game situations when you are playing every 6 days.

Give it time and more frequent games and the shooting will come around
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I agree that the long breaks are not helping, as i think the poor shooting is in their heads now, and having too much time to stew on it between games is not helping. They just need to keep playing and not overthink it. You can see them draining 3's during the warm up at a good clip.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago
Great example.
I'm torn on this. When I was in high school our conditioning during our senior year for high school soccer made us so beat by game day that we couldn't compete with anyone. Plus, it took away from us playing with one another and building more chemistry as a unit. We lost almost every game that year and I think it's still the worst team on record at the school. Sooooo...I guess you could say training during the season doesn't sit well with me as a whole. I just hope it's a mild amount or that the focus is on conditioning more than the strength part, while they are in season. I agree with Billyboy on the whole shooting perspective. I guess we'll see. They have a very young team, so maybe because of that, they'll be able to get away with doing that and will still be able to muster what they can to compete on game day???
I am intrigued to see how the season goes. Thus, far they are improving, so I'm not sure what to make of it at this time.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Do you think NBA players lift weights during the season or take 8 months off from strength training? The answer is of course they lift in season, not in the same manner or frequency as off season but they lift. I am sure Chase knows what he's doing, and his regimen has zero to do with our shooting woes thus far.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Also, might want to add their percentages dropped because they are both shooting MUCH more now.
That's not how statistics work, so how about we don't add that
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Also, might want to add their percentages dropped because they are both shooting MUCH more now.
That's not how statistics work, so how about we don't add that
It is very much how they work. It’s easy to go 1-1 or 2-2, but when your shooting more, it’s common to go 2-5, 2-8, 3-10....especially if you make a 3, every 2 or 3 shots. You shoot more when the roles change, as they have.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I am by no means certified in physical training, but I can tell you from being a gym-goer myself my observation of Chase's Twitter an IG posts/stories is that what he does with these guys is mostly functional training.

Case in point, today I saw Jeff doing a Turkish getup with a kettlebell (you can also do with a barbell). It's not like these guys are powerlifting 475lbs. the day before a game. Again, I am not an expert nor did I play D1 sports, simply my observation.
2 x