Dayton losing five players

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Dayton losing five players

Unread post by RF1 »

Dayton will lose five players that were not scheduled for graduation this May

Kostas Antetokounmpo (RS FR)
Jordan Pierce (FR)
John Crosby (JR)
Xeyrius Williams (JR)
Matej Svoboda (FR)

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/ ... ks1UtQiBL/
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Dayton losing five players

Unread post by reef »

Say it ain't so Anthony Grant and the Dayton Flyers!!!!
1 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Damn!!! Can’t have them fall, come on Dayton!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I don’t understand what happened with Williams, thought he was going to be good. Or maybe I’m putting a lot of stock in that 3 that killed me. Still not sold on the Grant hire.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I don't think Grant is the guy to get Dayton back to where they were with Archie.

He can recruit, but can he put those pieces together? His track record says not likely.

This is what we're facing with Cox. We know he can recruit. Can he be as good or better than Dan as a bench coach?

We will see. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Who he picks for his staff is key. Bringing back Preston would be OK in my book, and working with DC to install Harrick's offense would be awesome imo.

just a thought.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rambone 78 wrote:I don't think Grant is the guy to get Dayton back to where they were with Archie.

He can recruit, but can he put those pieces together? His track record says not likely.

This is what we're facing with Cox. We know he can recruit. Can he be as good or better than Dan as a bench coach?

We will see. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Who he picks for his staff is key. Bringing back Preston would be OK in my book, and working with DC to install Harrick's offense would be awesome imo.

just a thought.
And a segment of Georgetown fans didn’t like Cox because they said he couldn’t get local talent to commit there. That seems so crazy now, but no coach works in isolation. Dan and Dave, Dan and Preston were close to perfect with what they brought in for the A10.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

PM is not coming back as an assistant. DH was no great shake as a bench coach. He does get his players to play hard for him.

Anthony Grant is a good coach but he may not be enthralled with the players on the roster.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Grant didn't have much to work with this past season......only had 5 or 6 serviceable players for the most part.

He will get more talent in there....but how well will they do?

Dan imo had his faults as a bench coach, but he did improve over time....of course how much of that was due to DC?

I think UConn will find this out.....it's not going to be a straight line ascent that's for sure.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Your coaching improves dramatically when you are coaching better players....and more better players helps even more....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

MIght KOsta be back? THought he was only testing the NBA waters/no agent ...
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

sandman012 wrote:MIght KOsta be back? THought he was only testing the NBA waters/no agent ...
doubt it.

word on UDPride is he hated the school aspect and will likely go to Europe
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

He withdrew from school, and isn't coming back.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

As much as I would've hated facing him for the next three years, sucks for Dayton and the league to lose him. Potential like that doesn't often come through the A10. Could've been quite the stud in 2 years.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The Dayton board has a ton of very knowledgeable fans.....they have some interesting takes on the Hurley to UConn situation.

Some think it's actually a good move for URI.....they don't think a lot of Dan's bench coaching.

While Dan did a great job in basically every aspect of building our program....bench coaching wasn't a strong point.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rambone 78 wrote:The Dayton board has a ton of very knowledgeable fans.....they have some interesting takes on the Hurley to UConn situation.

Some think it's actually a good move for URI.....they don't think a lot of Dan's bench coaching.

While Dan did a great job in basically every aspect of building our program....bench coaching wasn't a strong point.
I thought Dan had improved but perhaps it was having Cox at his side. <wink wink>
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ace wrote:I don’t understand what happened with Williams, thought he was going to be good. Or maybe I’m putting a lot of stock in that 3 that killed me. Still not sold on the Grant hire.
Grant's cleaning house right now and bringing in his own guys. We're gonna know sooner rather than later if it was the right hire.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rambone 78 wrote:The Dayton board has a ton of very knowledgeable fans.....they have some interesting takes on the Hurley to UConn situation.

That board hates him and would find a problem if he won the national championship. Any Dayton fan I find interesting hates that board.
3 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Was it mentioned that now, on a national level, we can stop being thought of as "Dan Hurley's team" and have our players being the ones showcased instead? I could imagine that being a benefit.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well we are going to have to be better to get the national pub that we got with Dan.....Cox may actually turn out to be a better bench coach but he doesn't have the name recognition.

I kind of like that...and the fact that we shouldn't have to worry about our coach being plucked for a while. At least for 2 years anyway.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote:

I thought Dan had improved but perhaps it was having Cox at his side. <wink wink>
Among the many complaints about Dan that posters had in Jim Baron 2.0 (the worst titles thread in the history of Keaney Blue) one was that Dan was not strong with X's and O's and some suggested Dan needed a seasoned guy beside him (some mentioned Al Skinner and I can't remember the rest).

Now it sounds like Rambone and others are criticizing Dan Hurley mentioning Cox capabilities in this area.

But Dan Hurley hired Cox and developed him - so doesn't that credit, at least partially, go to Hurley?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, we're going to find out who is better....I'm sure they helped each other develop...Cox has been coaching a while too.

Like I said in another thread, who Cox brings in will be very important for many reasons....and one key area will be to help with game planning, scout, and in game strategy.

Right now all he has is Boswell, and Boswell doesn't do any of that...mostly recruiting is his thing.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
ace wrote:I don’t understand what happened with Williams, thought he was going to be good. Or maybe I’m putting a lot of stock in that 3 that killed me. Still not sold on the Grant hire.
Grant's cleaning house right now and bringing in his own guys. We're gonna know sooner rather than later if it was the right hire.
How could the Little Freak not be one of his guys? I want that kid to be my guy. SPRINGY as hell. Maybe he left of his own volition and the rest of the guys are being cleaned out at the same time?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

To answer the Williams thing ; Williams was injured early on and lost his starting spot . He probably became very unhappy that
he wasn't given his starter spot back, but Landers outplayed him . i actually expect dayton to be much improved next year . did
everyone forget about Obadiah Toppin whom URI was recruiting heavily . He sat out this year do to academics, but should bbe available along with 4 star
recruit Dwayne Cohill . all but Antetukumbo who left were fringe/ bench players which is why they left. so they return Cunningham, Crutcher, Jordan Davis and Landers , and add Toppin and Cohill and 5 open scolarships they can offer. Dayton will be on the assent regardless of how well Grant can coach them. As far as Dan Hurley, I am not one who thinks he was not a good bench coach. I think he did a masterful job of substituting and was very good
at hiding the team's weaknesses . Once they matched up against duke however i think there was just no way to address the lack of size .Duke was exceptionally big across the entire front line and they were not just tall, but very skilled as well . If they were in another bracket URI might still be playing . I don't think any other type of bench coaching could have defeated Duke the way they were shooting and dominating the inside . I don't think trying to diminish Hurley serves any purpose now. I feel the pain too but let's look forward to another surprising season our new roster will be providing. I feel very good about it.
3 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

I absolutely hated the Anthony Grant hire, and I am not just saying that after a 14-17 1st season, I was against the Grant hire from the very start. I would have been very happy hiring one of Archie's assistants.

I definitely feel that UD is on the decline under Grant. IMO, we will not have anywhere near the success we had under Archie.

I think we will ultimately have to fire Grant eventually.

I have not watched Hurley much, but I thought that he had some deficiencies with his coaching. I was not all that impressed with his coaching. But, he seems to be a good recruiter, and he gets his guys to play hard.
1 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Agreed............you guys have a hill to climb

Agreed on Hurley as well, The AAC may be his ceiling......I felt we were "a one trick pony" under Hurley. Good coaches learned to defend us, as witnessed in the last ten games last year. His seeming inability to change defenses was the bigger liability, and ultimately wore the team down late in the year.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

I initially laughed about him entering the draft, but I'm seeing Kostas show up on an awful lot of mocks as a second round pick. Maybe he made the right choice by leaving. Or maybe he's another Ben Bentil. Time will tell.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I thought Grant would be ok but looks like that is not the case

They may give him 2 more years then if things don't pan out they may can him ???
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

SmartyBarrett wrote:I initially laughed about him entering the draft, but I'm seeing Kostas show up on an awful lot of mocks as a second round pick. Maybe he made the right choice by leaving. Or maybe he's another Ben Bentil. Time will tell.
he's certainly got the height and length the NBA loves, as well as a scary amount of raw talent. He just needs to put it all together. Plus the family name gives him a boost
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:I initially laughed about him entering the draft, but I'm seeing Kostas show up on an awful lot of mocks as a second round pick. Maybe he made the right choice by leaving. Or maybe he's another Ben Bentil. Time will tell.
Change his last name and he wouldn't even be sniffing the draft.
1 x
Go Rhody
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

reef wrote:I thought Grant would be ok but looks like that is not the case

They may give him 2 more years then if things don't pan out they may can him ???
Seems doubtful due to the buyouts that most coaches seem to get these days, I will guess that he gets at least 5 years, and IMO UD has a bit of a history of waiting too long to fire a struggling coach. They probably should have fired Brian Gregory much earlier in his tenure, like after his 3rd, 4th, or 5th year.

Grant is a great person IMO, I just am not at all a fan of his coaching schemes. I thought the deficiencies of his schemes were very evident during his time at Alabama, so I am not sure what the reasoning behind his hire was. I hope that I am wrong. In addition, there seemed to be some friction between him and his players at Alabama, and that friction seems to be a continuing problem now, as shown by the 5 players leaving after only 1 year.

Had Grant not been a UD alumnus and former player, I do not think that UD would have even considered him. Firing him could also be more difficult since he is an alum and former player.

5 guys transferring out in the same year is a whole lot IMO.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Rhody15 wrote:Change his last name and he wouldn't even be sniffing the draft.
Agree, but life is not fair, some people get unfair advantages, having that last name really helps his cause.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Probably inarguable that his name helps him get media exposure in the run-up to the draft, but doubtful that it will help him in the draft itself. If he gets picked, it will be because someone is enticed by his raw physical ability and wants to stash him as a developmental project for at least several years. Which, honestly, isn't that bad of an idea. Kid is an absolute freak, athletically. But he would be the complete opposite type of late-in-the-draft pick as someone like Jared Terrell would be, whose ceiling is basically already clear but who could maybe plug a rotation hole for someone almost immediately.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/278 ... ing#slide2

Speaking of mock draft. This # 2 projected overall pick threw me off for a second!
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Watching him last year you can see the potential he has but he definitely could have used another year at UD
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

reef wrote:Watching him last year you can see the potential he has but he definitely could have used another year at UD
That's not how NBA teams see it. They can obviously "see the potential" better than we can, and I'm sure they would rather have him playing against tougher levels of competition in Europe or the G-League for another year or two, being able to focus on basketball 24/7 rather going to school. If the kid was already worth a second round flier (pun), it's worth it for him to start getting paid now.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Oh.

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Awesome. "Rampant speculation" is always a big draw...
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:Oh.

In cases like this it usually means he has a draft promise from a team, right?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

He might go back over seas
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes I bet some team promised to take him at a certain spot