Your Pick for the next Head Coach (2018)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

I want URI's next Head Coach to be...

Poll ended at 6 years ago

John Becker
1%
David Cox
76%
Nate Oats
5%
Rick Pitino
13%
Other (please write-in)
5%

Total votes: 147

sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Your Pick for the next Head Coach (2018)

Unread post by sf2010 »

Who ya got? This is for who you want the next HC to be, not who you think will get the job. Write-ins encouraged!

0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Your Pick for the next Head Coach

Unread post by STC »

I voted "Other" because I want Jay Larranaga however I doubt he will leave the NBA ranks for this job. I think he will hold out for an NBA gig. If not Larranaga, at least call Thad Matta.

After that, I'm good with David Cox.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

It would be good if we could vote for more than one candidate, but rank them, like 1st choice Cox, second, Oats, etc.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Some assistants should be on the radar. Micah Shrewsberry and Ashley Howard. Not sure how much Earl Grant makes but I would give him a call. Little bit of a longer shot but think Baker Dunleavy will end up being a really good coach. Everyone is thinking of the same four or five people. There is a whole world of really good coaches out there. Hope that Thorr is putting a lot into the top of the funnel.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

1. Jay Larranaga
2. Cox
2. Maybe Preston Murphy above Cox

I would also welcome he who will not be named with open arms.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Gonebarongone wrote:Some assistants should be on the radar. Micah Shrewsberry and Ashley Howard. Not sure how much Earl Grant makes but I would give him a call. Little bit of a longer shot but think Baker Dunleavy will end up being a really good coach. Everyone is thinking of the same four or five people. There is a whole world of really good coaches out there. Hope that Thorr is putting a lot into the top of the funnel.
I do agree that Micah Shrewsberry and Ashley Howard should at least be called to gauge their level of interest and interviewed if they are interested.
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

if picking today without actual knowledge of the landscape I choose Cox. But I still kick the tires on the old guy.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Just like in past contract negotiations with Dan - leaving things publicly in suspense for a few days is good for the program. Rick Pitino being discussed as a candidate without being shot down is "good" for the program, because it gives credence to a national conversation about URI and it's basketball team.

Pitino's name is national. If we keep our search to a few regional names our brand doesn't get play in the national cycle.

Rick Pitino is not being seriously considered by the athletic department, but the more people want to talk about him the better for us.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

It's reassuring that no one has voted for Becker so far. Good work everyone.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Seems pretty unanimous
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

1. COX
2. PRESTON MURPHY
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Puck Frovidence wrote:It's reassuring that no one has voted for Becker so far. Good work everyone.
Might as well be Boris Becker.
2 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Is this all the members we have on this board? Vote people!
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I like Preston because I am certain he will run a Harrick style offense....don't go to the RC to watch grass grow, unless it is the home show then grass growing is ok....I know Pitino will attack too.

I have no idea what Cox offense philosophy is, if he puts in a attacking offense I like him too, as I said before I don't ever want to see the ball aimlessly tossed around a zone defense again. I don't want to see Fatts Russell pull up to run motion when defenders are not set.
Remember who we are, home of fast break basketball.

We're there, so let's run?

Let's go Rhody!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think it's about a done deal for Cox, but an intriguing candidate to me would be Scott Cross who was at UT-Arlington, and was fired for the sin of winning 72 games in his last 3 years there, with a small budget and an AD who thought THEY should be the next Gonzaga lol.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Cox . Hurley believed in him . He has earned the opportunity .I say give it to him.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rick Pitino...no one gets this program to an elite level quicker...and no one will be under more scrutiny to keep it clean....
Folks talk about the importance of 'keeping players'...maybe Cox keeps them all, but I think Rick keeps them and maybe brings an unexpected big add or two.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Rick Pitino...no one gets this program to an elite level quicker...and no one will be under more scrutiny to keep it clean....
Folks talk about the importance of 'keeping players'...maybe Cox keeps them all, but I think Rick keeps them and maybe brings an unexpected big add or two.
I think the more likely scenario, if Pitino gets hired, is that Cox follows Hurley to UCONN, and most (if not all) of the recruits are right behind him.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NJRhodyFan wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Rick Pitino...no one gets this program to an elite level quicker...and no one will be under more scrutiny to keep it clean....
I think the more likely scenario, if Pitino gets hired, is that Cox follows Hurley to UCONN, and most (if not all) of the recruits are right behind him.
Disagree....I think just about everyone stays...for the once-in-a-lifetime opp to play for a legend...
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
NJRhodyFan wrote:
Disagree....I think just about everyone stays...for the once-in-a-lifetime opp to play for a legend...
You mean the type of parents that want to endorse a man that peddled prostitutes to his players?? His legacy is tarnished, he’s the definition of a sneaky d-bag.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It is going to be David Cox we are just waiting for the mere formalities
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
NJRhodyFan wrote:
You mean the type of parents that want to endorse a man that peddled prostitutes to his players?? His legacy is tarnished, he’s the definition of a sneaky d-bag.
Yep, legacy totally tarnished, but, that wasn't officially pinned on him as knowing... should have, probably did, but not proven... besides, he says he wants to restore his image, and would love to see him do that while out-coaching the rest of the A-10, in front of regular, nightly sell-outs at the Ry. Sign him up and we'll be making second weekend plans, at least, from the get-go, starting this year.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

NYG, I love your enthusiasm and share your desire to see URI go "big time," but I think there is a certain wisdom in building this thing up brick by brick. We are not in a position where we are starting from the very beginning - we are in really good position to do it right now and have something solid and sustainable. My concern with hiring someone like Pitino is not just the guilty-by-association thing for my team and my alma mater, which I will truthfully find mortifying even if it goes exactly how you fantasize that it will. My bigger concern is that, whatever we will be under a Pitino, we will cease to be when he leaves - likely under a cloud of scandal either personal or professional.

While the appeal of flash-bang overnight success is understandable, that model will be a house of cards - it will have a shaky foundation and it will eventually collapse in on itself. It won't be built for the long haul and it won't be sustainable. I want responsible growth. I want to build my fortune by making smart, sound investments and not by gambling on risky get-rich-quick schemes. And when URI does well and accomplishes awesome things, I want that to be about what URI did and who URI is, not about Rick Pitino and have the conversation be about what he must have done to achieve that or even what a great reclamation of Rick Pitino's image we are.
8 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Amen TP
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I saw Dooley tonight at Coast Guard House (it was my birthday today). I told him I was going through the seven stages of grief due to Hurley's departure. I am sure he was as well. The group I was chatting with said, "haha Pitino"(in more or less words). Dooley said NO WAY(in more or less words). Please. Please. Please. Put the idea of Pitino to bed. It is NOT happening.

I will also say there is no conjecture. I didn't even mention any other names. In my mind I wanted to say, "so when is Cox getting an offer".....

Dooley did say we would know next week.
7 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Happy birthday Taylor and thanks for the info.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I think Pitino should offer to coach at no pay at a smaller school conference-wise like Maine or Bryant......rebuild his brand and clear all clouds hanging over his head.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I would think Pitino at 65 wants one more opportunity and then retire.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Ramulous wrote:I think Pitino should offer to coach at no pay at a smaller school conference-wise like Maine or Bryant......rebuild his brand and clear all clouds hanging over his head.....
imagine Pitino grabbing 5 stars to play at Bryant. That I would enjoy.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I hear Salve Regina needs a coach. That would be more up Slick's alley. Kidding.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

NJRhodyFan wrote:
Hire Little Ricky and they'll need to add something to the new practice facility -- stripper poles and rooms for the hookers.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Pitino will have no option but to go to the NBA to rehab his name like Kelvin Sampson or Quin Snyder. I think given Pitino's age, it will take too long to get the stench off his name for him to ever get another D1 coaching gig.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
NJRhodyFan wrote:
Hire Little Ricky and they'll need to add something to the new practice facility -- stripper poles and rooms for the hookers.
Omigosh...GREAT take! That's so hilarious...and fresh, too! :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
NJRhodyFan wrote:
Omigosh...GREAT take! That's so hilarious...and fresh, too! :lol: :lol: :lol:
To be fair you have been dropping ice cold "Pitino 4 HC" takes all over the board for the past week.
7 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Should change the forum title to "NIT or bust" if the majority don't think NCAAT is likely next year.
I think they'll be in it, so it should stay, but seems that's a minority.

Over/under on games where Fatts puts up 25+..... 6.5
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Should change the forum title to "NIT or bust" if the majority don't think NCAAT is likely next year.

I don't think making the NCAAT is a stretch, but for me I think NIT is a definite and anything less than that will be telling.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Should change the forum title to "NIT or bust" if the majority don't think NCAAT is likely next year.

I don't think making the NCAAT is a stretch, but for me I think NIT is a definite and anything less than that will be telling.
I agree exactly with this. Making the NCAA tournament is a stretch goal next year with, at best, a new head coach and a rotation in which at least half the players are in their first year in the program. But the group as a whole will be talented, and we should be able to be a strong NIT team.

To the point about changing the name of the forum, I know it was kind of made in jest, but the reason for that title in the first place was a statement about what the program's standard should be overall in a time of repeated failures and it felt like the school had lost sight of that standard. There is no question now that overall the program's standard is to make the NCAA tournament even if there may be a bridge year here or there where the team is transitioning from one leadership group to the next. Those are fine provided they are infrequent, at least that is my feeling as someone who often felt like my standards were higher for the program than they had for themselves over the course of two decades.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

The difference between a strong nit team and a Dance team is infinitesimal. We should Dance next year.

GO RHODY!
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

brady1 wrote:The difference between a strong nit team and a Dance team is infinitesimal. We should Dance next year.

GO RHODY!
I guess the distinction is, are you putting this on the new coach or not? I'm talking about the expectations for a new coach. Are you saying if this team doesn't dance next year, the new coach has failed? That is why I said the NIT should be made. Because I will judge the new hire based on that.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I think our freshman will be a pleasant surprise. Enough to dance.
2 x
GO RAMS
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I would consider a .500 record next season as a realistic goal. C'mon, we just graduated 4 starters and a top reserve. I see URI as a 3 year rebuilding job to reach the NCAAT. We are in a better position now than when CFL departed. This is why Hurley left now while he was hot. Hire a coach with this time frame in mind.
2 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

2 years is more likely to reach the NCAA's. Cyril and Jeff will be seniors, Fatts a junior....

3 is possible, but hope not. We will be adding more recruits for next season and beyond....

I would NOT be pleased with a .500 record if we hire Cox and everybody comes back plus recruits.

If we were to hire someone else, then .500 would be much more a possibility. Then it would be a rebuild.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote:I would consider a .500 record next season as a realistic goal. C'mon, we just graduated 4 starters and a top reserve. I see URI as a 3 year rebuilding job to reach the NCAAT. We are in a better position now than when CFL departed. This is why Hurley left now while he was hot. Hire a coach with this time frame in mind.
This post demonstrates almost no knowledge of the state of the roster at all. This is the take I would expect from a national TV analyst who started researching URI's roster 4 minutes before he went on the air for his spot, not a fan who should be at least somewhat aware of what the roster projects to be going forward.

You cannot think that you will enter a 3 year rebuild because you lost 4 starters (2 all-league players) this year AND that you will finish that rebuild in 3 years, right after you graduate two starters and legitimate all-league caliber players. That doesn't even make sense.

College fans always put too much stock in who graduates. The nature of college is that the roster turns over every year; if you recruit well, graduating some contributing players never hurts as bad as most expect. People step in and step up. This year is somewhat unique just in the quantity of players that graduate, but you bring back some really important contributors and you're also bringing in your best recruiting class ever. I think there will be a 2/3 month period where things have to ramp up and come together, but by February I'm not expecting next season's team to be considerably worse than this year's. If they're not in play for an at-large it will be because they didn't put enough hay in the barn during that ramp up period, not because they're not talented enough.
5 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

TruePoint wrote:
Rhody72 wrote:I would consider a .500 record next season as a realistic goal. C'mon, we just graduated 4 starters and a top reserve. I see URI as a 3 year rebuilding job to reach the NCAAT. We are in a better position now than when CFL departed. This is why Hurley left now while he was hot. Hire a coach with this time frame in mind.
This post demonstrates almost no knowledge of the state of the roster at all. This is the take I would expect from a national TV analyst who started researching URI's roster 4 minutes before he went on the air for his spot, not a fan who should be at least somewhat aware of what the roster projects to be going forward.

You cannot think that you will enter a 3 year rebuild because you lost 4 starters (2 all-league players) this year AND that you will finish that rebuild in 3 years, right after you graduate two starters and legitimate all-league caliber players. That doesn't even make sense.

College fans always put too much stock in who graduates. The nature of college is that the roster turns over every year; if you recruit well, graduating some contributing players never hurts as bad as most expect. People step in and step up. This year is somewhat unique just in the quantity of players that graduate, but you bring back some really important contributors and you're also bringing in your best recruiting class ever. I think there will be a 2/3 month period where things have to ramp up and come together, but by February I'm not expecting next season's team to be considerably worse than this year's. If they're not in play for an at-large it will be because they didn't put enough hay in the barn during that ramp up period, not because they're not talented enough.
Completely agree, that post was ridiculously off base. We have the big three coming back with four top 200 players coming in along with nice rotation players all a year older. NCAA at large would be an overachievement but A-10 tournament title would not be. This team will be good next year and great in two years. Continue to recruit is the name of the game.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :?: :!: :?: :!:
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

This must be another April fools joke. Right?
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That's 72 always the contrarian stirring up pot

Next year I am expecting a strong team maybe bubble NCAA if not NIT
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

As my father used to say always expect the worst and you will never be disappointed.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhodymob05 wrote:I think our freshman will be a pleasant surprise. Enough to dance.
We need 1 guy to be a starter day 1, another to 2 to be in the rotation. I think JH is good enough to start day 1, Tate is solid enough If a body and skill set to play day 1. I am not worried if the class stays in tact. We will be top 4 A10 with a top 10 OOC schedule. When you think about last year we really only beat PC and Seton Hall in the OOC and people were gushing about it because the SOS was so high.
0 x