Note To Dan Hurley

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Note To Dan Hurley

Unread post by The Dude »

This is a note to Dan Hurley. It's a note he will likely never read, but hey I'll take a long shot. "So you're saying there's a chance?" (ha)

Dear Dan,

Rhode Island is a small place, a beautiful place, & a unique place. Basically every walk of life can be found in a 30+ square mile area. It's an incredible state.
I read an article this year where it was mentioned you were just recently starting to become more comfortable and finding a way to become a little more at peace internally. First, let me start by recommending a great book, by the buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh, titled The Heart of Buddha's Teaching. It's helped a person like myself over the years and that's saying a lot given it's like there's a hamster constantly going on a never-ending wheel day after day upstairs. Is the sudden & violent upheaval of moving and starting again somewhere new going to help internally...just as you're starting down a great path?
Currently, you have a fan base and a University that adore you. My friends and I attend every home game possible and many even travel to away games. I think it's safe to say that I speak for all when I say we have a deep and profound appreciation for what you've done in your 6 years at URI!
Over the years, programs like Gonzaga, Wichita State, Butler, & more have risen to prominence and out of the shadows. They're a household name. They get top recruits. They've proven in the past that they could be national championship contenders and consistent tournament entrants. These teams are now recognized much like a Pitt & UConn used to be. Why?
Because of the coach.
Butler became consistently great when Brad Stevens was the coach. Gonzaga made it's fist NCAA appearance in years during the '98-99 season under coach Dan Monso, but Marc Few has been the constant that has led them to the NCAA tournament every year since. Greg Marshall has been at Wichita State since the 07' - '08 season...in the middle of nowhere corn field Kansas and has made the NCAA tournament each year since the '10 - '11 season. UConn was great when Jim Calhoun was coaching there. 5 out of 6 years he took Northeastern to the NCAA tournament before going to UConn and making them into a household name. He made it to the NCAA tournament 18 out of 26 years at UConn...but not because he was at UConn...because he was Jim Calhoun...a great basketball coach.
You have an athletic department and fan base that is willing to support you and your vision. You live in a beautiful place. You're just finally getting some semblance of inner peace. You're proving you can recruit some of the best players in the country (Harris, Tate, etc....hell I'll even throw Fatts in there because that kid has brass balls), while at URI.

In the humble opinion of one of your most devoted fans (myself)...it's not time to leave.
It's time to build your legacy.

Schools don't make the coach. The coach makes the school.
8 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Mongo
ARD

Re: Note To Dan Hurley

Unread post by Mongo »

My note,

UConn.. UConn???? That knife in our back really hurts, you couldn’t have gone ANYWHERE else??? Anywhere... jeez, a punch in the gut and a knee in the groin.... enjoy Storrs, hope they treat you better than they treated Ollie. What a shame, so much for family, program ect... you’re going to a place that treated their own family like their worst enemy... this make zero sense... oh well.
5 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I hope you thank Thorr and Dr. Dooley for having given you the opportunity.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

ESPN Article:
"URI's offer, per sources, was $2 million per year for seven years beginning in July 2019 with a commitment to build a basketball-only practice facility to be completed within the next two years, along with staff salary increases and the ability to charter for all away games."

If that's true. You sold out hardcore for a school (UConn) that's not better than URI...not in location, not in basketball passion, not in support of a program, not in any way...except 1.1 million I guess...which if you're already going to make $2 million...honestly, the additional money at that point just isn't that meaningful/impactful. Wow...just a new low.
4 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Can't agree with that, The Dude.

What isn't mentioned in the packages offered are private jets for recruiting. UConn has this and it is a massive advantage and improvement that URI just cannot offer. I hate UConn but I can't fault Dan for wanting to see what he could accomplish without any programmatic restrictions.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

ATPTourFan wrote:Can't agree with that, The Dude.

What isn't mentioned in the packages offered are private jets for recruiting. UConn has this and it is a massive advantage and improvement that URI just cannot offer. I hate UConn but I can't fault Dan for wanting to see what he could accomplish without any programmatic restrictions.
With the progress made over the last two seasons alone, do we REALLY think that this was that much further off? I understand the premise of everyone's argument why he left. It was to have a better chance to win NOW. That's fine. If that's the rhetoric you are putting out there.

But that wasn't the rhetoric he was putting out there. And the University also stepped up to give him what he'd been asking for all along. I can't blame him, but I think it was a poor decision and this board should stop venerating him.

The way this went down deserves some criticism. Point blank.
7 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

1. Can they continue to offer those things in light of CT's and UConn's financial outlook, especially if UConn can't get into a better conference? Doubtful.

2. What programmatic restrictions is UConn about to see that Dan didn't have to worry about here? Their AD has publicly admitted to NCAA violations and who knows what they'll uncover in their investigation
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I hope UConn has to pay every penny of Ollie's contract and Dan finds himself in the middle of another rebuild.
9 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Running Ram wrote:I hope UConn has to pay every penny of Ollie's contract and Dan finds himself in the middle of another rebuild.
This IS what is going to happen. It's a race against the clock -- can Danny capitalize on his zeitgeist and get quality players in before the budget dries up? Call me a fatalist but I say no.

This Danny hire is much bigger than him or UConn basketball... it's at-large a last ditch effort for the entire state of Connecticut to retain the favorable light on its state university.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I personally think that DH should have stayed with URI with this new offer. He stays here 2 or 3 more years builds his name up even more and then gets a pick of the litter P5 school
I think looking back he will regret this move we shall see
1 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

reef wrote:I personally think that DH should have stayed with URI with this new offer. He stays here 2 or 3 more years builds his name up even more and then gets a pick of the litter P5 school
I agree, and after this incoming freshmen class he very well may have been in a position where he wouldn't need to consider leaving. Now, there's a very good chance 4 seasons from now he will be clinging to life in Storrs. Good luck!
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

reef wrote:I personally think that DH should have stayed with URI with this new offer. He stays here 2 or 3 more years builds his name up even more and then gets a pick of the litter P5 school
agree

UConn is just as likely to can him in 3 years for the next hot coach and he ends up taking a reclamation job below what he had here

If he had stayed a couple more years, get to more tourneys with this new class and add a Sweet 16 or beyond run and he would've had far better P5 offers. At that point he's sliding into a top P5 job that doesnt need a rebuild
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

on the other hand...didn't I read someplace that he maybe didn't see himself coaching after 50? isn't that just 4 or 5 years away?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
agree

UConn is just as likely to can him in 3 years for the next hot coach and he ends up taking a reclamation job below what he had here

If he had stayed a couple more years, get to more tourneys with this new class and add a Sweet 16 or beyond run and he would've had far better P5 offers. At that point he's sliding into a top P5 job that doesnt need a rebuild
Good signature DPS

Huskies pulling into a tie with Friartown on my hate list.

Like the good old days!!! The irony is Tom Penders was probably the most annoying dawg ever.

Ha ha!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Nice job dude, Reef et al. all I have to add is that I am personally very very disappointed in dan hurley right now . I really believed that he had every
intention of keeping his promise to make URI the gonzaga of the East . and he was well on his way to accomplishing that feat . I believed he was a quality person who believed in family, and created a family at URI I guess that was just BS . You don't leave your family because you want to join the
rich family down the block because they can offer you a rich lifestyle . You don't do that if you truly love your family . I know i will miss dan , but I hope Cox gets the job and surpasses hurley . I thought dan hurley was special . clearly he isn't . he is just another coach who made a new deal somewhere else because it is all about him and his ego just like the rest . so I hope David Cox gets the job, a Cox leaves we will move on again and so on and so forth.
7 x
Narr9999
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Narr9999 »

Luke I agree with what you had to say. I understand as Bill wrote in the Projo that it is sport and it is business. I have never been offered millions, so I haven't been in that position before and an extra $750k a year is a lot of money to pass up, but how much do you really need? I figured Dan would stay till a team on the level of Duke would come calling or if Seton Hall wanted him. I liked Dan and I thank him for what he has done, but he lied to his players and to the fans. Don't talk about how it isn't about every last dime and how you have to take care of the kids and look out for their best interest and then just walk away. Don't tell your players that you are staying like he did last Saturday and then leave in less than a week. Listen he might build a great program at Uconn and be a great coach there, but that is a big if. He has to deal with possible scholarship losses and recruiting at the last minute for next year. Uconn is out in no man's land and he had a beautiful spot in Saunderstown to live in and his wife and kids loved it here. The AAC is not the Big East of old or the ACC. The league is better than the A-10, but not by a whole lot and they had three teams in like the A-10 and all three were out by the end of the second round. Kevin Mac just wrote one of his shit articles about Hurley and URI and he says we are in a better place right now, well we were last week, but we could be in a major rebuild real soon. What if the recruits all leave and some of the guys on the team leave, what then? Kevin Mac just get lost. Your writing has gone down hill every year and all you do is show your bias for PC and put URI down whenever you can. You write about basketball, but you never coached it. You have seen a lot of basketball of the years, but that doesn't make you an expert by any means. I never coached college basketball, I did coach at the high school level and that doesn't make an expert either, so show some class Kevin Mac and realize that at times your readers know as much, if not more than you. Sorry for the ramble, but I am just so pissed at the moment,

Dennis
URI grad and season ticket holder for many years
5 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Very nice post that about sums up the situation . I love Dan Hurley and find it difficult to say a bad word about him . I'm from Nj and have followed him and his Dad and brother since Dan was in HS . I thought he was different than the average D1 coach . his action really hurts. Maybe I had no right to hold him to a higher standard but nonetheless I did and respected him and all of his family deeply . I guess I feel a bit mislead and it is disappointing . I don't know, maybe he justfies it in his own mind that he is giving David cox a well earned opportunity . I hope that was a major part of his thought process . If that is the case i might feel a little better about his leaving .
4 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

luke wrote:Very nice post that about sums up the situation . I love Dan Hurley and find it difficult to say a bad word about him . I'm from Nj and have followed him and his Dad and brother since Dan was in HS . I thought he was different than the average D1 coach . his action really hurts. Maybe I had no right to hold him to a higher standard but nonetheless I did and respected him and all of his family deeply . I guess I feel a bit mislead and it is disappointing . I don't know, maybe he justfies it in his own mind that he is giving David cox a well earned opportunity . I hope that was a major part of his thought process . If that is the case i might feel a little better about his leaving .
To be fair, that definitely seems like part of his decision making process. Same with bringing TJ in this season.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:on the other hand...didn't I read someplace that he maybe didn't see himself coaching after 50? isn't that just 4 or 5 years away?
With all the stuff he has said this year and last that obviously was, and is, no longer true, him not wanting to coach past 50 is also obviously false.
1 x
Go Rhody
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Rhody15 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:on the other hand...didn't I read someplace that he maybe didn't see himself coaching after 50? isn't that just 4 or 5 years away?
With all the stuff he has said this year and last that obviously was, and is, no longer true, him not wanting to coach past 50 is also obviously false.
His contract with UConn has him coaching until age 52. But my estimation of being fired in 5 years or less should line him up perfectly for his retirement plans. Lol.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

He changed his mind about quitting by 50 after he started learning how to relax and not be such a nervous wreck during and between games.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If he doesn't figure out how to close games he might be done by 50 lol......

Just think everyone...we now will most likely have a much more of a motion offense and actually play some zone....so it's not all bad.

And if Cox or whoever can close games better we might not be quite so upset after all.

Rod and I used to PM each other a lot about those subjects.

Hey Dan was great in many areas but he has his flaws.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We closed out plenty of close games these last two years.

The rhetoric Dan couldn’t close out games is patently false.

Koch tweeted out his record in close games like last month and it was very good.
4 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Against better teams it still wasn't very good. something like 19-33, if I recall.

We certainly didn't do a very good job of it toward the end of the season. Thankfully we beat Oklahoma though.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

How many of those 33 came in the first 3 years vs last 3?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Better, but still nothing to write home about.

It's all water under the bridge now anyway.

Done talking about it. Dan's done here.

Let UConn worry about it.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

the_one_mike wrote:

With the progress made over the last two seasons alone, do we REALLY think that this was that much further off? I understand the premise of everyone's argument why he left. It was to have a better chance to win NOW. That's fine. If that's the rhetoric you are putting out there.

But that wasn't the rhetoric he was putting out there. And the University also stepped up to give him what he'd been asking for all along. I can't blame him, but I think it was a poor decision and this board should stop venerating him.

Absolutely! Exactly!
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Running Ram wrote:I hope UConn has to pay every penny of Ollie's contract and Dan finds himself in the middle of another rebuild.
If Dan end’s up on another rebuild he’s f’d Uconn wants the tourney in his second year there. During the 2nd year if it’s not looking good shit hits the fan. If you ask me Dan’s good at a lot of things but he’s not good under pressure when things don’t go his way. Shet in year 3 here when somethings didnt go his way I thought he was a call away from slugging someone a number of times.

Honestly think Hurley found his happy spot here in Rhode Island. Either he’s self destructive or people who know him didn’t speak up.

As far as money when you make that much 1.7 for 10 or 3 for 6 is not that different especially if you end up with 3 for 2 and a buyout or 3 for 2 and fired for cause.

Like I said Dan good luck your going to need it and you got bad advice.

GO RHODY!
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DH is going to have his work cut out at UConn , tough competition at the top of that league in Wichita Cinci Houston and now Memphis hired Penny

The natives could get restless in Storrs sooner than later
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

He will get them back in the tourney no doubt in a couple of years, but how far they go will be a question.....after they lose some close games we'll see how much they love him.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

For those saying Dan wasn't any different from other coaches, you may be the ones that always say the coaches will always go for the bigger job and big payday from places like Rhode Island. Well, Dan had that chance with Rutgers ($3M per year with BigTen money and potential) and he chose to stay here with his core of players who believed in his dream to make Rhode Island a championship program when it was only a dream.

And then, guess what, he delivered an A10 Tournament championship, 1st Ever A10 regular season championship (with a 12 month A10 winning streak), longest ever in-season winning streak, longest time in AP polls, top 35 recruiting class, and back to back wins in the NCAA Tournament.

So now that he delivered us all this and left the program in good standing to continue success and grow, he takes the chance to coach a school on his destination list. As one who was definitely a Hurley fan, it sucks because I was very comfortable with Dan as our head coach, but I honestly cannot be angry at Hurley for the very difficult choice he made. It was not an easy one -- credit to Thorr/Dooley for making him squirm and anguish through to the decision.

My Note to Dan Hurley:

Thank you, Coach Hurley, for not only bringing my favorite basketball team back from the dead, but for delivering a sustainable championship caliber PROGRAM by never wavering on your challenge to the URI administration, State and Rhody fanbase to partner with you for these 6 years. I will always appreciate your tireless work - every single day - since the afternoon I watched your introduction in Keaney Gymnasium. You never missed a practice and yet you never missed an opportunity to connect with the fans who love the school and this basketball team.

I may hate UConn but I don't hate you for moving to a job you've considered a final destination in your career. Thank you, good luck, and take care.
5 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The Dude wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:

Absolutely! Exactly!

If this package was able to be offered after last season, could perhaps be a different story

Blame the URI Fans, blame the URI Administration in a veiled tweet like this one second guessing if only URI had put up enough benefits last year maybe this would not have happened.

BS

The Practice Facility was in the works, not just when Hurley had a foot out the door. We know President Dooley told an Alumni group in Sarasota 2 months ago that plans were in the works for a Practice Facility - a nice one too! So it is not like Bill Koch says here insinuating that it was too little too late.

I think it became too much sentimental stuff the last month that he lost the team from an effort standpoint. Senior Night was more like a Final Tour Night. Players and Coaches wet soft and got blown out of their own building in the worst, least effort loss of Hurley's 6 years at URI. We know now that he was already leaving. We know now that he knew he was likely leaving for some time. Team went from Top 15 to Top 30 fast. Lost A10 Championship to Davidson getting outplayed. Beat an Oklahoma team that did not belong in the Tournament. Got beaten badly by Duke. I said before the season that going with 1 Big Man would not work in the NCAA Tournament. Hurley was lost on what to do in this game - finally, FINALLY in desperation playing both Berry and Langevine at the same time. First time all year, when it was too late. He should have experimented with Berry and Hurley during the season but in his reknowned stubbornness with changing the line up he chose not to. Rarely ever gave Layssard a chance and I can promise you that Mike Layssard is better than most here think - he just could not get a chance with Hurley. Like Berry the year before - Berry showed to be much more talented than Hurley would allow to have been demonstrated. 4 Guard Line Up went as far as it could possibly go - but you are not going past the round of 32 with a line up that small. Felt bad for Stanford Robinson the beating he took having to defend 6'10 guys so many times.

Hurley did a lot for the URI Program but if his heart was not in it then it was best for both sides to part ways. The performance of the Team the last 8 games was not what most of us expected. The diversions were too numerous and it is a shame because this team deserved Hurley's best possible leadership in the last month - they did not get his best possible leadership as he was distracted by his own career change. Too bad.

It was not the URI Fans and it was not the URI Administration that led to the disappointing performances the last month.

Good luck at UCONN. I always felt he was qualified for a much better job than UCONN when he left URI, he deserved more. Certainly a mid to high level P5 School, but playing the likes of East Carolina? Tulane? South Florida? A Temple team that has been disappointing, Tulsa? Pittsburgh would have been the smarter choice in my opinion. Playing in the ACC versus the ACC? I'd have gone ACC in a heartbeat. Connecticut? VCU Coach goes to P5 LSU, Dayton Coach goes to P5 Indiana - Hurley had earned a better position than either of those 2 A10 Coaches and he picks similar level conference to the A10, AAC? He underachieved in that non - P5 selection.

Moving on.
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, if they do a search and a really big name surfaces, that could get interesting.

I think URI is going to follow through on the enhancements to the program that they offered Dan, sans the 2 mil a year to the coach.

We already know about the practice facility. They've got to do the other stuff too, if they are truly serious about success.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

my note is pretty simple...he can spare me all his fluff talk and tears. he made his choice.

also, you thought the fans here were unfair and not always supportive? you aint seen nothing yet. Just wait until you lose by 20 or lose to a lesser opponent there.

One of their own went: Championship, NIT, NCAA, no postseason, no postseason and that was enough to run him out of town and screw him out of his money.

what do you think they'll do to you?
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

You are in the right spot...............My God at the top of the front page, a 7x7 picture in The Hartford Courant this morning !

Bigger than Obama's nine years ago. The expectations are wildly high. All the CT TV stations were reporting your hire every half hour yesterday.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I respect and appreciate what Hurley did but at the end of the day he took the $ and ran. The charters for recruiting is just a lame excuse. Did Calhoun start off with those perks back in 1989?
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Dear Dan,
Sorry to see you go. Today you will have your first press conference at Storrs. Remember your first in Kingston? I do. I cut out of work and drove the hour and a half to see it. Not a lot of people there, maybe a hundred. Did you notice when the team walked in? Billy baron was emotionally out of it. It eventually turned to tears. He could not deal with the fact that his father was no longer coach. He was missing his family and eventually transferred. When you take the podium today look around you. Strangers looking for wins. Where is your family? Is it
really worth it to leave? If you want, walk off that stage and go home, where you belong. Everyone makes mistakes. Which is more important championships or loyalty. You’ve answered that question to the public for years. Practice makes perfect! Remember you’re a Hurley! Thanks for six years, your ram family, well you left too soon.
9 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Money Money Money

Spare me the blame of URI Administration and the URI Fans. Greed won out as it often does. I am not as a URI Fan taking one iota of guilt over this decision. URI Fans stepped up at the end of the season and at the A10 Tournament and at the NCAA Tournament. And in the end were jilted and watched a team underperform the last month compared to what their potential was. What could have been had the Greediness for Money not distracted the Head Coach and ultimately the whole team. Senior Night said it all. Hurley was right - he will never Celebrate Senior Night at URI Before the Game Again. How prophetic that statement was.

From Kevin Mac................

URI owns a well-earned reputation as a stepping-stone job in the college basketball world. That’s why Tom Penders, Al Skinner and Jim Harrick all left. Now we can add Hurley’s name to that list.

My guess is that Penders, Skinner and Harrick all regret having gong for the Greediness of the Money and the Lights. I'll be very surprised if Hurley does not regret going for the Cash as well. He could have been a legend in URI Basketball History. He had all the money he would ever need. A lose - lose situation for him and URI. But life goes on. I like Cox but I really, really wish that Hurley had not set him up as his recommended replacement - that alone makes me tend to want to go with someone other than Cox to spare me the memory of Hurley money grabbing. And he said he never would take on another rebuild - bs

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/2 ... re-for-uri
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

KMac's very lazy association back to Penders/Skinner/Harrick is telling.

There are degrees of rebuilding and bullshit anyone is able to bear. Rutgers "rebuild" vs UConn...
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote:Beat an Oklahoma team that did not belong in the Tournament. Got beaten badly by Duke. I said before the season that going with 1 Big Man would not work in the NCAA Tournament. Hurley was lost on what to do in this game - finally, FINALLY in desperation playing both Berry and Langevine at the same time. First time all year, when it was too late. He should have experimented with Berry and Hurley during the season but in his reknowned stubbornness with changing the line up he chose not to.
This gets brought up here a lot. I'd like to once again point out that Berry and Langevine started the first two games of the year together until Cyril got hurt. Then Stan got inserted into the lineup, and in the eyes of many on this board was the team MVP this season. So should the team MVP have been benched? Should EC or Terrell have been benched?
2 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Just saying Al left for money is only half of the story. He actually wanted stay. Dumbo dragged his feet on ANY offer. BC came up and Al left.
I guess the AD figured that any coach who would work out of a trailer wouldn't cause any problems. He was wrong, as usual.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:
ramster wrote:Beat an Oklahoma team that did not belong in the Tournament. Got beaten badly by Duke. I said before the season that going with 1 Big Man would not work in the NCAA Tournament. Hurley was lost on what to do in this game - finally, FINALLY in desperation playing both Berry and Langevine at the same time. First time all year, when it was too late. He should have experimented with Berry and Hurley during the season but in his reknowned stubbornness with changing the line up he chose not to.
This gets brought up here a lot. I'd like to once again point out that Berry and Langevine started the first two games of the year together until Cyril got hurt. Then Stan got inserted into the lineup, and in the eyes of many on this board was the team MVP this season. So should the team MVP have been benched? Should EC or Terrell have been benched?
Of course not.

The 1st two games of the season were just that. The first two games.

I said before the season started I did not like playing only 1 big man. We rarely did.
But then, in the NCAA, Dan found out he could not contend with Duke’s size without Langevine and Berry on the court. We were getting killed inside on the boards.

When Berry and Langevine were in together vs Duke they and the rest of the team looked very out of sync. And why wouldn’t they? They had t been in the floor together since the first two games of the season like you said.

IF you were going to play them together vs Duke or any team later in the season or in the NCAA then you should have used that line up some leading up to the NCAA. Then they and their teammates would not have looked so surprised when the all come. I distinctly remember thinking how disjointed the 5 Looked on the floor vs Duke.

Honestly Adam, if you were going to play both in a Round In a round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament wouldn’t you have wanted to have worked out the kinks to some extent prior to the NCAA? Or do you think Hurley was going more with the element of surprise? Or was he just so desperate?

This really plays into maybe me biggest criticism of Hurley over the 6 years. Rarely changing the starting line up. Being very predictable with the substitutions, playing guts way too long even when they were obviously struggling to the average fan. Playing Garrett when there was obviously something wrong when we later learned he had health issues. He was getting beat on defense badly during that streak. Even recall Dayton once spreading the floor into s 3 corner like offense so Scootchie Smith could take Garrett one on one often. I am not blaming Garrett at all, he was very ill we learned later on, but Hurley in his stubbornness just kept going to the same substitution when even the opponents had seen in their scouting reports that Garrett was not up to par.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

They did look out of synch when they had CL and AB in the game at the same time vs Duke. There were possessions where, one would try to pass to the other...didn't work... and others where they couldn't outlet. Not sure there was much that could be done though. Duke was an anomaly...and I think while he realized he'd probably have to get there at some point, it was like delayed desperation. Against almost any other team...normal 4/1 probably woulda been ok, so can't really criticize that they didn't spend the regular season game-planning for the one team that was almost unbeatable. Because, seriously...if CL and AB had been playing together all year...not sure it would have done much to tilt the scales vs Duke...and I'd have taken my chances with their regular strategy against most others...
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

NYGFan pretty much nailed what I would say to, so I'll just kind of repeat it, but I don't think if Cyril and Berry had been playing together since birth it would have made a lick of difference against Duke on that day. We were overmatched in every single way possible. I also don't think you can coach in the regular season with the thought in mind that you need to try certain things just in case you run into a certain team/situation in the tournament. You have to coach and play each game to do what it takes to win that game. I do think it got to a point where it was just desperation, had to try something, because what we normally do wasn't working.

Who knows what would have happened if Cyril never got hurt, maybe the starting lineup would not have changed all year and they would have started together and Stan would have been 6th man all year. And who knows whether we would have been a better or worse team in that scenario.
1 x
Victorino
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Victorino »

I think I just heard on a Channel 12 interview with Dan Hurley, that Hurley is going to re-recruit the recruits that have committed to URI to go to UConn, URI paid for the coaches to go recruit these players, anybody else hear that, I hope I’m wrong.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Victorino wrote:I think I just heard on a Channel 12 interview with Dan Hurley, that Hurley is going to re-recruit the recruits that have committed to URI to go to UConn, URI paid for the coaches to go recruit these players, anybody else hear that, I hope I’m wrong.
I highly doubt he said that. Maybe you heard the part in his interview where he discussed his first step was to re-recruit the current UConn players to keep them on board?
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Dear Dan,

Calhoun did with UConn what you were doing with URI, took them from irrelevant to a premier program.

Seems like it was pretty satisfying for him.

Too bad you are now having to pick up his mess rather than finish your own great start here at URI.

Good luck.
3 x
Mobley was fouled.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:They did look out of synch when they had CL and AB in the game at the same time vs Duke. There were possessions where, one would try to pass to the other...didn't work... and others where they couldn't outlet. Not sure there was much that could be done though. Duke was an anomaly...and I think while he realized he'd probably have to get there at some point, it was like delayed desperation. Against almost any other team...normal 4/1 probably woulda been ok, so can't really criticize that they didn't spend the regular season game-planning for the one team that was almost unbeatable. Because, seriously...if CL and AB had been playing together all year...not sure it would have done much to tilt the scales vs Duke...and I'd have taken my chances with their regular strategy against most others...
You are missing my point. I never said playing Berry and Langevine would have resulted in URI beating Duke. 99.9% sure it would not have made a difference. Terrell having a MIA game was much worse than Berry and Langevine not playing previously together

Sure it was a desperation move. Absolutely desperation. But that is the point. Why was it a desparation move? Before this season started both Rod and I stated that playing 4 Guards might be ok for the regular season and the A10 Tournament but not when you get to playing the elite teams in the NCAA Tournament. It would not have been just Duke, it would have been any number of teams. Hurley should have been better prepared for this is my point, He was not prepared at all. Had not played the 2 together since the 1st two games of the season. My point with Hurley is he is slow to change, slow to adapt. Several others on this board have called him stubborn
Playing the 6'4" Robinson against 6'11" guys from Duke was not even a mismatch - it was beyond mismatch

Hurley never let Langevine or Tertsea off the bench.
Last year he kept Berry on the bench too much
He loved his 4 guard line up so much and he depended upon it so much he basically had no card to play versus Duke. North Carolina would have been the same thing.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:NYGFan pretty much nailed what I would say to, so I'll just kind of repeat it, but I don't think if Cyril and Berry had been playing together since birth it would have made a lick of difference against Duke on that day. We were overmatched in every single way possible. I also don't think you can coach in the regular season with the thought in mind that you need to try certain things just in case you run into a certain team/situation in the tournament. You have to coach and play each game to do what it takes to win that game. I do think it got to a point where it was just desperation, had to try something, because what we normally do wasn't working.

Who knows what would have happened if Cyril never got hurt, maybe the starting lineup would not have changed all year and they would have started together and Stan would have been 6th man all year. And who knows whether we would have been a better or worse team in that scenario.

Again, as I responded to NYGFan, no doubt it would not have mattered if Cyril and Berry had played together since birth. Agree 100% it would not have mattered. We were going to lose to Duke anyway with Terrell a non factor and in such a huge game to boot.

Rod and I both said before the season that playing 4 guards would be ok for the regular season but not in the Tournament. That proved to be true.
Absolutely I think you need to prepare for the NCAA Tournament during the regular season. Some of the career best performances for big men came against URI this year because we played only 1 Big.

Hurley did not plan for Duke, or North Carolina, or West Virginia, or any team with 2 or 3 good Big Men. He had no plan - only 4 Guards. You are right, he played to win one game at a time - never preparing for the power P5 Teams that had 2-3 quality Big Men. His gun had only 1 bullet in it - Berry or Langevine - not both.
As NYG said, when they were both in at the same time vs Duke they looked very awkward. Their passing was off, they looked lost defensively, they looked lost offensively - can't blame them - they had not played together since November.

Dan Hurley stubbornness and inflexibility with the 4 guard line up cost us. Maybe not the game - but I think even he would admit he should have been better prepared for the bigger, taller, stronger teams that populate the Round of 32, Sweet 16 and Elite 8

Look at the Big Men that URI had in 1978, 1988, 1998...........................
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

But...but...but.... only 2 of the 8 starters weren't guards. <sarcasm> I get your point and have to agree with what you and Rod said about 4 guards only taking you so far. But this team just didn't have it to play with 2 bigs...and I don't think any amount of shuffling and trying guys (that he had) was going to make a difference. He wasn't ever going to make this team into a unit that could compete with Duke's inside skill/size, regardless of what combos he played during the year. I think he got the most out of what he had and it was an unfortunate matchup. Now, if you want to say that he coulda/shoulda had different/better players, specifically bigs, feel free...I'm not smart enough to second guess recruiting. I just don't think there's anything he could have done during this season to narrow the gap w/Duke. Just my opinion.
1 x