The Transfer Carousel - 2018

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

The Transfer Carousel - 2018

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Figured this deserves its own thread. Fordham kicks it off.

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2018

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Fordham might as well leave the A10 now. Their best player wants out. Last year the same happened.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rambone 78 wrote:Fordham might as well leave the A10 now. Their best player wants out. Last year the same happened.
I'll help them and LaSalle pack...that said, I'm sure there were a few members that wanted to help us pack too.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Dan leaves and some current players and recruits leave, it will be several years before we sniff the NCAA tourney again...no matter how much better the program infrastructure is.

How good will the new staff be? How tough will it be for the A10 to get multiple bids going forward, with the difficulties of scheduling quality OOC opponents, and with the new metrics too?
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Stop with the sky is falling rhetoric. To quote Slick Rick Pitino, "all the negativity in this town sucks."

I suppose URI should just fold up the program if Hurley goes somewhere else, right?
4 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

All the talk about elevating Cox if DH leaves, reminds me of the elevating of JD when Harrick departed, and the disaster that ensued. The URI program will be hurt if DH departs. Perhaps the $1.25-$1.5M buyout can be used to provide program amenities and recruit top assistants that will bring back the program sooner rather than later. We are in for a down year or two even if DH stays. Let's make sure we get or keep a great coach.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Comparing Cox with JD is downright silly.
7 x
Slava Ukraini!
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

Unread post by JFrech21 »

Rhody72 wrote:All the talk about elevating Cox if DH leaves, reminds me of the elevating of JD when Harrick departed, and the disaster that ensued. The URI program will be hurt if DH departs. Perhaps the $1.25-$1.5M buyout can be used to provide program amenities and recruit top assistants that will bring back the program sooner rather than later. We are in for a down year or two even if DH stays. Let's make sure we get or keep a great coach.

How does it Cox remind you, in any way of JD?

One recruited questionable character (to put it mildly), trouble kids. He recruited here when it was the EASIEST time in program history to recruit here, 3 straight NCAA appearances with an Elite 8 run in there. He was a glorified AAU Coach with no college coaching experience. He also couldn't coach himself out a paper bag.

The other has elevated our recruiting talent since he got here. Recruited high character kids with great work ethic. He has been here for 4 years, and was the main reason we have a TOP 25 Recruiting Class Coming in and the #1 Mid-Major Recruiting Class in the Country. He was an Associate Head Coach for 4 years at Rutgers (interim head coach for 3 games), Assistant at Georgetown for 4 years, and started his coaching career at PITT. He was ranked as the No. 23 Assistant Coach in the Country and the top Assistant at a Mid-Major.

I'll let you figure out who is who '72.
7 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Disgusting and insulting comparison.
5 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Dan stays Cox will need a big raise......what does he make now, about 200K a year? That's insulting.
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

rambone 78 wrote:If Dan stays Cox will need a big raise......what does he make now, about 200K a year? That's insulting.
$200K is not insulting for an assistant. You're 100% wrong.

For example, as of 2013, assistant coaches for the Michigan men's basketball team make base annual salaries of $155,000 to $160,000. Contracts for new Michigan mbb assistants Luke Yaklich and DeAndre Haynes in 2017-18:

Haynes: 2 years, $200,000 per
Yaklich: 2 years, $225,000

At Michigan State, just two years ago, assistant coaches Dane Fife was earning $192,110, Mike Garland was earning $200,515 and Duane Stephens was paid $207,770.
1 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:If Dan stays Cox will need a big raise......what does he make now, about 200K a year? That's insulting.
$200K is not insulting for an assistant. You're 100% wrong.

For example, as of 2013, assistant coaches for the Michigan men's basketball team make base annual salaries of $155,000 to $160,000. Contracts for new Michigan mbb assistants Luke Yaklich and DeAndre Haynes in 2017-18:

Haynes: 2 years, $200,000 per
Yaklich: 2 years, $225,000

At Michigan State, just two years ago, assistant coaches Dane Fife was earning $192,110, Mike Garland was earning $200,515 and Duane Stephens was paid $207,770.
Not only that, but Danny has consistently lobbied to get our assistants more pay... likely at his own expense, being as funds are clearly quite limited here compared to elsewhere.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......maybe a serviceable center will pop on this carousel........
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Unless we are running some other bigs out the program I don't see the need for MORE bigs. As it is we have Langevine, Harris, Akele, Tate, Preston, Layssard, and Tertsea. That's already more than half our scholarships. I'd love to see a big-time scoring wing come in with that last scholly.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......my issue remains the group of Akele, Preston, Layssard, and Tertsea are less then need.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Need number 1: a SHOOTER! If there's a Four McGlynn out there somewhere sign me up.
3 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

I agree, but realistically Langevine, Harris, and Tate are going to take the bulk of the minutes. The other guys are battling for "foul trouble" minutes in my opinion. Any smart transfer sees that and probably isn't coming here. Also no way we recruit over 2 four star freshmen.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think we need a wing shooter as has been mentioned. Experienced also. 5th year fills the bill.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Don't forget- Cox has a 3-0 record as a head coach- he took over while Mike Rice was suspended at Rutgers.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

section(105) wrote:.......my issue remains the group of Akele, Preston, Layssard, and Tertsea are less then need.....
People had issues with Berry after his sophomore year too...

Why don't we just trust the coach that we're all begging to stay that he knows what he's doing when it comes to player development.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Dayton fans are also hinting that Kostas Antetokounmpo could be joining them. Big loss to the conference, if true. He would no doubt land at a high major program.
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

SmartyBarrett wrote:

Dayton fans are also hinting that Kostas Antetokounmpo could be joining them. Big loss to the conference, if true. He would no doubt land at a high major program.
Too bad we didn't land Kostas. Maybe it's not too late?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Damn Dayton was on their way back to. Not good for the A10 overall.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

So...is there a timeframe/date by which we'll know who is staying/staying committed?
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

the_one_mike wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:

hurts the league, but damn Im glad he's out of our hair.

His junior and senior years are going to be scary. That length, size and ability, once he figures it all out watch out.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:So...is there a timeframe/date by which we'll know who is staying/staying committed?
Probably not, but I would imagine we'll know relatively soon. I just hope Cox has been blowing up Harris' phone all day.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

the_one_mike wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:

Nope. Would have to sit for 2 years.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Lotsa bites on the fake Fatts twitter account

The real Fatts account is silent so far.

I don’t linky known fake accounts go find it yourself
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Amazing, somehow against all odds we might not be having the worst day in the A10
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Antetokounmpo is out to.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

He's going pro!

(Updated with new tweet)
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Wow!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

SmartyBarrett wrote:He's going pro!

(Updated with new tweet)
When we talked in Pittsburgh, we theorized that he might not play all four years. But this is, um, surprising. Can't imagine he will hire an agent.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Dayton wth
0 x
GO RAMS
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

:shock: 5.2 pts 2.9 rbs at Dayton
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Many Dayton fans first-guessed the Anthony Grant hire, reading the A10 board they were skeptical about not promoting from within or even targeting a fellow active college coach. While Grant attended Dayton, his recent head coaching seasons with Alabama showed a downward trajectory and oddly instead of taking a lower-level college job he went to the NBA as an assistant in 2015 before returning to the college game this season.

Maybe Grant needs time to get "his guys" into the program so a few years are needed to really evaluate his job, but another year of this and there will be noise from the many Dayton faithful.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Wow. Not good news for Dan. Dan and Moore visited him yesterday. He played at Brewster. Maybe Jared can steer him our way.

Lukas Kišūnas‏ @LKisunas
I’ve decided to de-commit from UConn and pursue other opportunities for my academic and athletic career.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote:Wow. Not good news for Dan. Dan and Moore visited him yesterday. He played at Brewster. Maybe Jared can steer him our way.

Lukas Kišūnas‏ @LKisunas
I’ve decided to de-commit from UConn and pursue other opportunities for my academic and athletic career.
Another outstanding conspiracy plan.

Kicking uConn in the teeth on a recruit would be sweetness!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

UConn currently without a recruit signed for the 2018 class. Will be interesting to see if what happened with Dan filling out the URI roster with transfers when he got here will have any affect on how he handles the situation this time around.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Wow. Not good news for Dan. Dan and Moore visited him yesterday. He played at Brewster. Maybe Jared can steer him our way.

Lukas Kišūnas‏ @LKisunas
Wait so that perfect program that Dan had to go to the make the final four is already losing their commitments while our top 25 class is staying??? How is this possible??
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The only possible downside to all of these decommitments from UConn is that it opens up scholarships for the coming season. I believe they have three now. Still the possibility that some of our players or incoming class could go there depending on what happens with our coaching situation.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:

Lukas Kišūnas‏ @LKisunas

I honestly don't think that they "lost" this guy. Judging from the other schools that offered him and watching a little of his tape, I don't know if this is the type of player - from a quality or style standpoint - that he is going to be interested in building around. Dan's track record in closing with recruits was pretty good, and so to lose a guy he really wanted who was already committed to his program the day after he spoke to him seems somewhat unlikely.

Trust me, I would not pass up an honest chance to mock UConn right now, but not sure I'm buying that this was the kid's decision. Will be interesting to see where he ends up.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:

Lukas Kišūnas‏ @LKisunas

I honestly don't think that they "lost" this guy. Judging from the other schools that offered him and watching a little of his tape, I don't know if this is the type of player - from a quality or style standpoint - that he is going to be interested in building around. Dan's track record in closing with recruits was pretty good, and so to lose a guy he really wanted who was already committed to his program the day after he spoke to him seems somewhat unlikely.

Trust me, I would not pass up an honest chance to mock UConn right now, but not sure I'm buying that this was the kid's decision. Will be interesting to see where he ends up.
Did Dan need Tom Moore to go with him to tell him that?
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I mean, someone needed to carry all of Dan's things.

I suppose it is possible that they made other stops and saw other players. That would be my guess.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I think Eric Youncofski is the one who carries Dan's stuff...
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

TruePoint wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:

Lukas Kišūnas‏ @LKisunas

Was offered by UCONN, Illinois, Creighton, Pittsburg, amongst others. That's pretty good I'd say.
0 x
GO RAMS
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I agree with TP's assessment. I don't think they lost this one.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:

Lukas Kišūnas‏ @LKisunas

So 2 guys take a road trip to tell a kid they don’t want him?

Really?

Is this a Preston Murphy recruiting target ?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:

Was offered by UCONN, Illinois, Creighton, Pittsburg, amongst others. That's pretty good I'd say.
I don't think Dan would have gone to UConn if he thought that was the neighborhood he was going to be recruiting in. He wants to have five star and high four star NY/NJ future-NBA stud athletes. He wants to recruit against the North Carolinas, Kansases, Syracuses, Villanovas, Floridas, etc. We will see how he does with that, but he didn't recruit this kid when he was at URI and I'm willing to bet if he didn't think this guy could play for him at URI he doesn't think he can play for him at Connecticut.
4 x