3/2 | Davidson Wildcats | 8PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

3/2 | Davidson Wildcats | 8PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by TruePoint »

#17 University of Rhode Island at Davidson University
John M. Belk Arena
Friday, March 2, 2018
8:00PM - CBSSN

Media

TV: CBSSN

Stream: CBS SPORTS app and online

Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or iHeart Radio App

Previews:

Vegas:

Opponent

Record:

[To be updated]

Rankings:
RPI:
BPI:
KenPom:

Leaders (not updated from 2/9):
Points - Peyton Aldridge, 20.2
Rebounds - Peyton Aldridge, 6.9
Assists - Jon Axel Gudmundsson, 5.0

Last Five

[To be updated]

Roster and Statistics (not updated from 2/9 game)

Coaching Staff
Bob McKillop, Head Coach (29th Year) - Hofstra '04
Matt McKillop, Assoc. Head Coach - Davidson '06
Ryan Mee, Asst. Coach - Rochester '05
Will Reigel, Asst. Coach - Davidson '12

Preview

We're on to Davidson.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: 3/2 | Davidson Wildcats | 7PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by section(105) »

.....this game now takes on a whole new and different feeling......does this game fit into the must win for anyone?
Last edited by section(105) 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This could go either of 2 ways.....we play like we care and win it.....or we cave and mail it in.....

We might even get St. Joes in the tourney......there's a lot of questions that need answering.....

Hopefully we'll react like PC did after we killed them 86-42 many years ago...and came back and beat us later....
1 x
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

this games at 8PM no?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yes it is. Did this from my phone off the top of my head out of rage. I'll update.
2 x
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Re: 3/2 | Davidson Wildcats | 8PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by KMar970 »

all good the fact that i gotta wait til friday to get this taste out of my mouth sucks
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Rage rage.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

This evening (Tuesday), Davidson and Bona were tied at the end of regulation, 78-78.

In the first overtime period, Bona was leading 91-89 with ten seconds remaining on the game clock. Davidson drove the length of the court and was fouled at the conclusion of the drive, and proceeded to sink both foul shots. With three seconds to go and the game tied 91-91, Bona (after a timeout by each coach) launched from just inside the mid-court line a 3-point attempt that failed.

Midway through the second overtime period, the game was tied 96-96. Jaylen Adams fouled out at the 1:24 mark. Thirty seconds to go, Bona was leading 100-98, with the ball in Davidson's hands. Davidson's Grady was fouled on a drive with :19 remaining and sank both foul shots to knot the game at 100 apiece. Bona failed on a "last shot" attempt, and Davidson's desperation heave off the rebound missed the mark,

In the third overtime, Stockard from Bonaventure fouled out in the first minute on an offensive foul with the ball in his hands. Davidson's Peyton Aldridge (who to that point had scored 45 points) fouled out on an offensive foul in the socond minute of the third overtime. At the 3:47 mark, the game was tied once again, this time at 104 all. Bonaventure's Taquee fouled out at 2:49. The game was tied yet again at the 2:36 mark, 108-108. With a minute to go, Bona was holding a four point lead, 112-108. Bona rode the charity stripe to get to 115, Davidson drained a trey with ;09 to go, and scored off a drive with :02 to go. Bona's Mobley went 2-for-2 on free throws with :00.7 remaining.

Final score:

Bona 117, Davidson 113

Based on the games this evening, it seems to me that Bonaventure and Davidson are peaking, playing their best ball of the season; Rhode Island, not so much.
Last edited by Native 6 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

No, Rhode Island's best ball of the season came an entire four days ago and - amazingly enough - not during the hangover that resulted.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Native wrote:This evening (Tuesday), Davidson and Bona were tied at the end of regulation, 78-78.

In the first overtime period, Bona was leading 91-89 with ten seconds remaining on the game clock. Davidson drove the length of the court and was fouled at the conclusion of the drive, and proceeded to sink both foul shots. With three seconds to go and the game tied 91-91, Bona (after a timeout by each coach) launched from just inside the mid-court line a 3-point attempt that failed.

Midway through the second overtime period, the game was tied 96-96. Jaylen Adams fouled out at the 1:24 mark. Thirty seconds to go, Bona was leading 100-98, with the ball in Davidson's hands. Davidson's Grady was fouled on a drive with :19 remaining and sank both foul shots to knot the game at 100 apiece. Bona failed on a "last shot" attempt, and Davidson's desperation heave off the rebound missed the mark,

In the third overtime, Stockard from Bonaventure fouled out in the first minute on an offensive foul with the ball in his hands. Davidson's Peyton Aldridge (who to that point had scored 45 points) fouled out on an offensive foul in the socond minute of the third overtime. At the 3:47 mark, the game was tied once again, this time at 104 all. Bonaventure's Taquee fouled out at 2:49. The game was tied yet again at the 2:36 mark, 108-108. With a minute to go, Bona was holding a four point lead, 112-108. Bona rode the charity stripe to get to 115, Davidson drained a trey with ;09 to go, and scored off a drive with :02 to go. Bona's Mobley went 2-for-2 on free throws with :00.7 remaining.

Final score:

Bona 117, Davidson 113

Based on the games this evening, it seems to me that Bonaventure and Davidson are peaking, playing their best ball of the season; Rhode Island, not so much.
Wow, what a game! Thanks for the recap.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That Bona Davidson was an instant classic

I have no doubt DH gets the guys ready to play on a Friday night and we come out and play well

Very important game indeed as a loss here starts raising more questions
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RPI Forecast has the game dead even. 50-50 probability for a win for either team
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I watched it....had SBU/Davidson on the TV and UNC/Miami on the iPad on WatchESPN. UNC clawed back to tie from down 14 to tie it at 85 with 4.1 seconds left..Miami inbounded, raced up the court and nailed a 3 (about 25 feet) at the buzzer for the win.

The SBU/Davidson was one of the best games of the year I've seen. Really back and forth. Other than an early 15 point SBU lead that was erased long before half time, the game was nip and tuck. At one point in the 2nd half there had been 15 lead changes and 9 ties. I lost count at some point. Aldridge missed a FT near the end of regulation that allowed SBU to tie the game and send it to OT. I think 5 players from the 2 teams scored in the 30s that night with Aldridge at 45 and Adams at 34. Both teams will be a force to be reckoned with in the A10 tourney. Davidson still has an outside chance at 2nd place. They need to win on Friday, SBU has to lose, then there are other tiebreakers that need to fall. If Davidson had won last night, they would have clinched 2nd due to head to head. Hopefully, Davidson will have a hangover of it's own on Friday and we run their senior night.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

McKillop is no dummy...he will tell his team this is what happens when you lose focus like we did....

I think Dan learned a hard lesson last night.....hey next year there are only 2 seniors, Preston and Akele, bench players both....

freakin' Aldridge and Grady are beasts.....they are scoring 75% of their points....
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Wonder how much energy Davidson will have after that game last night versus St Bonaventure. They are not particularly deep and many played a lot of minutes. The ups and downs of that game going to three ot's must have also been emotionally draining as well.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We match up pretty well against them except for Aldridge.

I also think we won't be jacking up 3's much either. I will be surprised if we take more than 12.....

We're going to see a much more aggressive game plan Friday night. And hopefully at least a couple guys can find their shot.
1 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

I have no doubt we'll come out Friday looking like a different team, I do however have doubts about how we'll attack their zone. Our lack of adjustment to St Joe's zone was troublesome. Need to put Stan at the FT line like we used Kuran last year.

The blueprint is out on how to guard the Rams.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

This game scares me. Grady is a stud and I would bet he is 1st team all conference next year. He was the only Cat to show up in Kingston. I can't see Aldridge having another sub par game against us. And the supporting cast can't shoot much worse than the did here a few weeks ago. This is a tough spot coming off a humiliating loss. We played well in a tough environment in Olean and there was no shame in that loss. I'm afraid of what last night did to our confidence.

The good news is I didn't think we had a prayer against SH without EC. I wouldn't have been surprised by a letdown loss vs. LaSalle (think we had the letdown, but avoided the loss) and was never so sure of a victory as I was last night going into the SJU game. ie...bet against me every time and you'll make some money. :D
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Tall task Friday night. We are going to try and wreck the final home regular season game for one of the technically finest players the A10 has ever seen IMHO. Grady is a monster as well obviously. 2 match up nightmares, last night it was only Demery.

I’ll know if I’m back on the Negativity Train by about 10pm Friday night. I still think this group is a great team. Of course I could be just another internet wanna be who don’t know shite...

Walking into a perfect hoop storm down in NC Friday night is great. I’ll know for sure where I’m at with this group Friday night. Even my wildly optimistic side has this one penciled in as a loss.

Biggest game in 50 years. If you had told me it was going to mean anything 10 days ago I would have said you were nuts.

Crazy game this basketball. Do or die time. Gotta love it.

All eyes are focused on our Rams.

Go Rhody.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

They'll be just fine, count on it.
1 x
GO RAMS
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Only guaranteed 3 more games.

IDK how any of them could be overlooking anything.

Some tweaking has BEEN needed.

Just for EC I would say "hey EC, those almost 30 foot three point shots you're taking from the coach's box, lets bring them in a little closer."

Hey guards, in the screen and roll we have to not only take away the drive but also have our hands up to take away the easy entry pass.

Bunch of other small things.

I would also like to see Stan handle the ball more on offense. He was a playmaker on offense last year and now he's elevated the defense but become this garbage point guy. Kid is a star. Can create his own shot and a shot for others.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Davidson’s triple overtime loss to Saint Bonaventure last night sets us up very well for Friday evening. I wouldn’t be surprised to you see a similar result happening to Davidson as what happened to us last night.
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

"We're onto Davidson" insert Belichick voice
1 x
Clapton is God
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Looking like we did against a zone may be a silver lining. This team eats up zone for the most part. And yesterday, we got open 3s and we got offensive rebounds which is what good teams want/get against a zone. We just missed every single shot.

It’s the defense that concerns me.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

well, they just got punched in the mouth...lets see how they respond
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

hrstrat57 wrote:Biggest game in 50 years.
Is this serious?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Is this serious?
Ranked 6 weeks. Gone. Want to atone for arguably the worst and most potentially damaging loss in program history? Wanna to earn back some respect following a historical beatdown from a hated rival? Want to have any chance to go deep in the NCAA tourney or continue down a path to the NIT?

Better show up Friday nite. 2 of the best players in our league are ready to end our dreams of glory.

Captain optimist here is still thinking this nightmare can be reversed. It’s pretty grim here though around these parts....I’ve been to a lot of sporting events and never experienced anything like I felt last night. The fair weather front runners I know have jumped off the Rhody bandwagon.

Horrid.

So yeah if we want to get even close to where we thought we were at 6:45 last night it’s a pretty big game from a historical perspective.

I sure hope our players and staff feel the same way.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

You think last night was worse than Fordham? There's no chance we miss the NCAA tournament.

Seton Hall was bigger. Oregon was bigger. Creighton was bigger. VCU in the A10 Championship game was bigger. Davidson in the A10 tournament was bigger. St. Bonaventure in the A10 tournament was bigger. Davidson last senior night was bigger. VCU at home last year was bigger. At George Mason last year was bigger. Cincinnati was bigger.

Get a grip.
2 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:You think last night was worse than Fordham? There's no chance we miss the NCAA tournament.

Seton Hall was bigger. Oregon was bigger. Creighton was bigger. VCU in the A10 Championship game was bigger. Davidson in the A10 tournament was bigger. St. Bonaventure in the A10 tournament was bigger. Davidson last senior night was bigger. VCU at home last year was bigger. At George Mason last year was bigger. Cincinnati was bigger.

Get a grip.
Haha to your point RhowdyRam02, i feel like this list could go on for days!

a few games during 87-88
our 1st round game vs purdue in 92-93
games during 96-97
a bunch during our 97-98 run
98-99 with a guy named Lamar hitting a buzzer beater
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Get a grip is the exact right phrase for some people today.

Last night sucked. It was also one game. And while it wasn't excusable, I think the reasons why that game happened and why it happened when it did are pretty obvious.

Fortunately, Davidson provides a great chance to get a good win on the road, and we just happen to match up terrifically with their personnel and style of play.
4 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Serious question for you folks.

Were you at the game last night or watched on TV?

I obviously deleted the recording of CBSSN broadcast.....perhaps we had a different experience last night?

Whatever let’s get the bandwagon filled back up....

Make some shots, play some D and lose the lazy pass!

Go Rhody!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I was at the game. Not sure what that has to do with anything
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Good news is by winning the a10 regular season we have a guaranteed NIT bid. :)
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

hrstrat57 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Is this serious?
Ranked 6 weeks. Gone. Want to atone for arguably the worst and most potentially damaging loss in program history? Wanna to earn back some respect following a historical beatdown from a hated rival? Want to have any chance to go deep in the NCAA tourney or continue down a path to the NIT?

Better show up Friday nite. 2 of the best players in our league are ready to end our dreams of glory.

Captain optimist here is still thinking this nightmare can be reversed. It’s pretty grim here though around these parts....I’ve been to a lot of sporting events and never experienced anything like I felt last night. The fair weather front runners I know have jumped off the Rhody bandwagon.

Horrid.

So yeah if we want to get even close to where we thought we were at 6:45 last night it’s a pretty big game from a historical perspective.

I sure hope our players and staff feel the same way.
End of the day, it's a bad loss, but our ONLY bad loss. Relax. One game is one game. We had a really bad game, for once, which most teams have. Move on.
1 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Wicked bad storm coming Friday. We better have power at 8PM.
6 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hopefully this beatdown we took last night was the best thing that happened to us in the long run like the Fordham game last year was great that it happened

Also Xavier beat us pretty good in the 98 A10 tournament and we went on a special run after that game too
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

reef wrote:Hopefully this beatdown we took last night was the best thing that happened to us in the long run like the Fordham game last year was great that it happened

Also Xavier beat us pretty good in the 98 A10 tournament and we went on a special run after that game too
After that Fordham game we went on a nine game winning streak. Do that again and we are in the Final Four.
9 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I am bringing my lunch pail to this game

WE ARE RHODY

WE WILL NOT LOSE THIS GAME

Time to remind everyone who we effin are

https://youtu.be/VgSMxY6asoE
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

This game is going to say a lot about where this team is and where it wants to go.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:This game is going to say a lot about where this team is and where it wants to go.
Couldn't have said it any better! Dan has made many good adjustments this season....I expect he and the staff will do the same tomorrow night.

Still, having a week off afterward will help them rest and refocus.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Look at the box score of the last game. Dadika scored more than Fatts, Langevine, Dowtin, and Berry. And Stan had him by 2 points. Think about that in context to what this team is capable of. And Dadika scored 3 points. An aberration beyond comprehension. I expect Davidson is going to get blown off the court as atonement.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's mind boggling when you think about it.....mental preparation is everything for this team.....they need their confidence back.
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

I predict a close fought game with Davidson prevailing. The still have more to fight for right now.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

DanInAZ wrote:I predict a close fought game with Davidson prevailing. The still have more to fight for right now.
Seeding in the A10 tournament? That's about all they are fighting for. In fact, they already locked up the 3 seed so what are they fighting for?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

And even there, they are not actually playing for much. It is possible that Bonaventure could lose and they'd finish with the same record, but who cares? Not even sure who owns the tie breaker, but either way Bona and Davidson are going to have to play each other to get to the championship.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Agreed. Davidson has zero chance to make the dance as an at large.....playing for pride mostly.

Of course we should have been playing for pride last night also.

Bona has the edge in tie breakers I think. Very small chance for Davidson to get the 2 seed. And who can figure out who they and Bona will play on Friday right now?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

There were 64 FG attempts by the team on Tuesday 50% were made by EC and Jared. I think the team deferred to them for Senior night and they were off. We will go back to the normal game plan tomorrow and we will win.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dowtin will be his usual efficient self again......

Not sure EC is 100% right....he's been off for quite a while....nagging injuries
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

One interesting note. Jarvis has not scored a basket since the St Bonaventure game.
1 x