Major NCAA Recruiting FBI Investigation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Major NCAA Recruiting FBI Investigation

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Looks like schools are just making shit up, and the NCAA says OK.....

Of course I'm sure that depends on who you are.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

The NCAA has one job: Keep the Cartel pacified.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

LSU has to do that for now since they don’t have enough, amazingly, to terminate with cause.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago LSU has to do that for now since they don’t have enough, amazingly, to terminate with cause.
Translation: He had a much better record than Kevin Ollie did. :?:
6 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

If LSU had a bad record their AD and President would raise their hands up like Horschack. "Ooh ooh ooh, compliance officer, over here!"
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

rhodyruckus wrote: 5 years ago If LSU had a bad record their AD and President would raise their hands up like Horschack. "Ooh ooh ooh, compliance officer, over here!"
And then the NCAA would reduce their sanctions to a wrist slap because "self-reporting."
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 5 years ago
rhodyruckus wrote: 5 years ago If LSU had a bad record their AD and President would raise their hands up like Horschack. "Ooh ooh ooh, compliance officer, over here!"
And then the NCAA would reduce their sanctions to a wrist slap because "self-reporting."
Right...and the coach would have been sent packing faster than you could say 'see-yuh'....
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Prosecutors showed a screenshot of a text message that Blazer said was Dawkins' list of coaches he planned to target. At the top, it said, "These are my main guys," and it included several names of schools and coaches, including six head coaches at the time: Michigan State's Tom Izzo, LSU's Wade, UNLV's Marvin Menzies, Louisville's Rick Pitino, North Carolina State's Kevin Keatts and Arizona's Miller, whose name was listed first. Pitino and Menzies have since been fired.

Some of the other schools on the list, along with names of assistant coaches, were Alabama, Arizona State, Cleveland State, Creighton, DePaul, Miami, Michigan, Oregon, Texas, Texas A&M and USC. The list did not indicate any payments to coaches, nor whether those coaches were contacted.
Cleveland State?
Blazer also testified that he met with the following assistant coaches: Yasir Rosemond from Alabama, Anthony Coleman from Arizona State and Amir Abdur-Rahim from Texas A&M (now Kennesaw State's head coach), but he did not provide any further details Wednesday of his meetings with those coaches. He said he met with USC's Bland, as well as Creighton assistant coach Preston Murphy, who Blazer said took $6,000 at the meeting and arranged to be set up on a monthly retainer.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ler-others
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Say it isn't so P Murph!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 5 years ago
Ugh .... what would Rod say.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago
He would probably just state the truth - Preston was acting on the instruction of his boss, Creighton Head Coach Doug McDermott.
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

This was accepting money for steering kids towards a certain financial advisor. Not sure if McDermott really cares what financial advisor his players choose when they go pro.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Not a good look for Murph regardless
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago
He would probably just state the truth - Preston was acting on the instruction of his boss, Creighton Head Coach Doug McDermott.
Funny how McDermott's name has never come up the assumption is Murphy was acting on his own.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Whether under McDermott’s instruction or not Murph shouldn’t have done it. Disappointing.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This isn't Murph paying players to go to Creighton, this is Murph taking a payment to steer potential professional players to said financial advisor.
Is that even illegal? Could be considered unethical, but not sure if that is necessarily an illegal activity since its no different than a referral fee or finders fee that is customary in many other industries for helping to steer business somewhere. That is on an entirely different level for me than paying players (via shoe companies and intermediaries) to attend certain schools.
1 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago This isn't Murph paying players to go to Creighton, this is Murph taking a payment to steer potential professional players to said financial advisor.
Is that even illegal? Could be considered unethical, but not sure if that is necessarily an illegal activity since its no different than a referral fee or finders fee that is customary in many other industries for helping to steer business somewhere. That is on an entirely different level for me than paying players (via shoe companies and intermediaries) to attend certain schools.
Murphy hasn't been charged with a crime.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Perhaps I'm splitting hairs, but I agree. I'm not sure if it is illegal for Murphy to accept what is essentially a finders fee if a player signs with a financial adviser. The sad thing is, Murph is going to be presumed guilty of a crime b/c he is being lumped in with a bunch of others.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago Perhaps I'm splitting hairs, but I agree. I'm not sure if it is illegal for Murphy to accept what is essentially a finders fee if a player signs with a financial adviser. The sad thing is, Murph is going to be presumed guilty of a crime b/c he is being lumped in with a bunch of others.
He knew what he was accepting payment for and it wasn't for passing out business cards. The intent was for the flow of cash to continue to the future clients. I assume the difference between Murphy and the 3 assistants that were charged is there wasn't evidence he followed through on actually funneling cash to a recruit/player (bribery) making them ineligible and hurting his own program (fraud) which could have been because he was unable to get involved with a big enough fish at Creighton.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Amazing how coaches who are such control freaks can repeatedly skate. Especially those with hideous hair-dye jobs like McDermott.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 5 years ago Amazing how coaches who are such control freaks can repeatedly skate. Especially those with hideous hair-dye jobs like McDermott.
I think it is fair to say the HCs knew if someone was paying a recruit or their family to go to their school.
I don’t necessarily think the HCs would know if one of their Assistants was taking money on the side to try to persuade an existing player to go with a certain financial advisor or agent when they go pro. I think that is the case with Preston. Probably not breaking a law but an NCAA violation.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

You can talk about whether all this is illegal or unethical or whatever, but most things involving envelopes of cash are not exactly on the up and up

I’m not naive about some of the realities of college basketball, but some of the names coming out of this are just disheartening.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

envelopes of cash...so 90s.
Shoulda gone crypto.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Preston's chances of ever becoming a head coach have really taken a hit.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Preston's chances of ever becoming a head coach have really taken a hit.
Head Coach? His chances of getting another Ast Coaching position are very very unlikely. If he gets fired by Creighton, he is probably done. A video taking an envelope of cash.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Preston's chances of ever becoming a head coach have really taken a hit.
Head Coach? His chances of getting another Ast Coaching position are very very unlikely. If he gets fired by Creighton, he is probably done. A video taking an envelope of cash.
Agree. The impact of this will be more than just inability to land a Head Coaching job.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Cash?!? Your honor, that was an envelope containing an invite to a his/hers baby shower, regrettably I was too busy to attend, I heard it was a blast.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Wasn't he a high school teacher when he coached Woonsocket? Or not?

He will be fine here in RI making a life.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

He graduated with a degree in finance, so I don't know if he was a teacher while coaching Woonsocket
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I just do not understand based on what has come out how Sean Miller and Will Wade are still employed...what else do we need to hear about them to justify termination? How can their AD and President look the other way?
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago I just do not understand based on what has come out how Sean Miller and Will Wade are still employed...what else do we need to hear about them to justify termination? How can their AD and President look the other way?
We are being told by two criminals. What makes them credible? Chris Dawkins is a scumbag
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago I just do not understand based on what has come out how Sean Miller and Will Wade are still employed...what else do we need to hear about them to justify termination? How can their AD and President look the other way?
Probably need to hear something like...16-17...or 14-18...something like that.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

As the process goes on Arizona and LSU are continuing to look worse and worse.
To think both guys were recruited from A10 teams Xavier and VCU.
Doesn’t it make you pause and wonder what went on with recruiting during their A10 coaching careers?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

We are being told by two criminals. What makes them credible? Chris Dawkins is a scumbag
They have Will Wade on wire tap and Book Richardson (Arizona assistant coach), both implicitly talking about paying players to attend their schools. Names of players, amounts of money, who the intermediaries were...this isn't based on Dawkins testimony, there is more than smoke it is a five alarm fire for those 2 specific institutions. I don't see how either of them survives when this is all said and done.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
As the process goes on Arizona and LSU are continuing to look worse and worse.
To think both guys were recruited from A10 teams Xavier and VCU.
Doesn’t it make you pause and wonder what went on with recruiting during their A10 coaching careers?
Ehh, it's possible, but I think a lot of this comes down to access and exposure. Miller and Wade were both in situations at X and VCU that could sell itself to the type of the recruits they were going after. Neither coach was consistently swimming with the sharks, so to speak. They also were not dealing with the top of recruits these agents and money guys were interested in. If you look at Miller's last 3 years at X, his only Top 100 recruit was Kenny Frease, who ranked 55th. All his other guys were unranked. So is it possible that Miller had boosters sliding him some money to land a guy like Frease? Maybe. But could it also be possible they landed him because he grew up 200 miles away, and Xavier had a good program where he could playing a major part? I think it's about these guys end up at major conference programs with a ton of access and they get connected to money guys/agents who will front significant sums of money in exchange for helping to guide future 1st round talent in their direction. Plus it also looks more realistic for Sean Miller to be consistently drawing Top 10 talent to Arizona.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago
They have Will Wade on wire tap and Book Richardson (Arizona assistant coach), both implicitly talking about paying players to attend their schools. Names of players, amounts of money, who the intermediaries were...this isn't based on Dawkins testimony, there is more than smoke it is a five alarm fire for those 2 specific institutions. I don't see how either of them survives when this is all said and done.
There is a reason that Miller wasn’t been charged by the FBI and wasn’t let go by UofA after its investigation. There is no audio or video of Miller that proves this. The FBI checked his bank records and those of the player/parent. They found no hard evidence. I am not saying he didn’t do any of this. The only evidence is Dawkins saying he did and Book saying Miller was going to pay. Dawkins and Book are two convicted criminals who would say anything if it benefits them.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Read this testimony. It doesn’t say much. Dawkins was going to say Miller paid players but the Judge sustained the Prosecutor’s objection.

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Bottom line: At the end of the day, Al Davis was right....there is no better CYA than a good, winning record on the floor.
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Arizona has dueled with LSU as the country’s most outlandish bandit basketball program
Auburn has to be like really, not even top 2.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I still will be surprised if Sean Miller is coach of Zona to start the season
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 5 years ago I still will be surprised if Sean Miller is coach of Zona to start the season

I'll put an in-person 6 pack wager on that.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

My point yesterday. Dawkins is a habitual liar.
0 x