2018-2019 Rotation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 2018-2019 Rotation

Unread post by reef »

I like CT starting but a case can be made for him being a top reserve also. I always liked his game hustles a lot plays nice D and can hit the three ball
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

FDshoes wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Does anybody here know what kind of defensive players Brendan Adams and Tyrese Martin are? Unless you've seen them play in person, and I have not, nobody here knows. I've seen Christion play defense.

Watch the tyrese vs reddish game on you tube. It was one the games of the year for high school.
I've seen it. Tyrese had a great offensive game, 30 some points. So did Reddish, also with 30 something. I'm not saying these incoming frosh are not good defensive players. I'm saying that I don't know. I know that Christion is.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I think it depends on coach’s emphasis on defense. If it’s similar to Hurley’s then Thompson will start until one of the newcomers come up to speed.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I wouldn't think anything is set in stone. See how the guys practice once fall comes around and then make the best decision for the team
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I think it is very possible the 5th starter is not yet on this team. I could see Cox (assuming he is named coach) targeting a transfer who can step and start from the jump. A seasoned transfer would be perfect to avoid the expected drop off that comes with losing five seniors.

Would like to see Layssard develop into Andre Berry 2.0 and I think I'm being fair in that ask. Layssard came in way more hyped (wasn't their an ESPN article a couple years back saying he would be one of the most impactful freshmen in the A10?) and they both have similar body types. I know he hasn't played much but neither did Berry really. Layssard needs to be that lumbering space eater on the interior that Berry was.

Speaking of comparisons, Ryan Preston could be Ryan Brooks 2.0. Looks the part until you get him on the court. Still have hope for him.

Just for fun, what if Tertsea transfers? Have 2 scholarships open up and that could make things really interesting on the transfer circuit for URI.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

wpbrown8267 wrote:
Running Ram wrote:CT is a good shot, I know his college shooting stats so far don't reflect this, but believe it, CT has the skills to be our next Stan type, maybe not as elite defensively, but will show he has a good shot once he gets down with Dowtin and Fatts. We may also find out he is very strong finishing around the hoop. He'll be a big factor, shake off the rust faster than most freshmen adjust to the new pace of college ball. Also agree with rhodysurf on Akele. I honestly think the bigger concern is how fast can the freshmen get up to speed, if they acclimate quickly (assuming they all stay and Cox was born to be HC) we'll find Rhody back in the top 25 a lot sooner than I'm sure most figure.

1 Dowtin/Russell/Adams
2 Russell/Adams/CT
3 CT/Tate/Martin
4 Akele/Harris/Martin/Tate
5 CL/Harris

and if either of the Mikes can give meaningful minutes at the five then Rhody is in great shape!

Bulk of the scoring will be from JD, Fatts and CT, but JD and Fatts are great distributors of the basketball so I expect CL to average close to a double double next year...
Is this in order at each position? If so how do you have Akele ahead of Harris @ the 4? Only changes I would have is 3 CT/Martin/Tate then 4 Harris/Tate/Akele/Martin
I wondered the same thing

My way too early guess is the same as a month ago............

Jeff Dowtin
Fatts Russell
Jermaine Harris
Tyrese Martin
Cyril Langevine

But don't Sleep on Tate - he could push Langevine for a starting spot at some point
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ramster wrote:
wpbrown8267 wrote:
Running Ram wrote:CT is a good shot, I know his college shooting stats so far don't reflect this, but believe it, CT has the skills to be our next Stan type, maybe not as elite defensively, but will show he has a good shot once he gets down with Dowtin and Fatts. We may also find out he is very strong finishing around the hoop. He'll be a big factor, shake off the rust faster than most freshmen adjust to the new pace of college ball. Also agree with rhodysurf on Akele. I honestly think the bigger concern is how fast can the freshmen get up to speed, if they acclimate quickly (assuming they all stay and Cox was born to be HC) we'll find Rhody back in the top 25 a lot sooner than I'm sure most figure.

1 Dowtin/Russell/Adams
2 Russell/Adams/CT
3 CT/Tate/Martin
4 Akele/Harris/Martin/Tate
5 CL/Harris

and if either of the Mikes can give meaningful minutes at the five then Rhody is in great shape!

Bulk of the scoring will be from JD, Fatts and CT, but JD and Fatts are great distributors of the basketball so I expect CL to average close to a double double next year...
Is this in order at each position? If so how do you have Akele ahead of Harris @ the 4? Only changes I would have is 3 CT/Martin/Tate then 4 Harris/Tate/Akele/Martin

Jeff Dowtin
Fatts Russell
Jermaine Harris
Tyrese Martin
Cyril Langevine

But don't Sleep on Tate - he could push Langevine for a starting spot at some point
Ramster that's a young team, but between the experience of Fatts, Jefe and CL and the talent of Martin and Harris, plus a loaded bench things would be looking good.

Edit: But I think Tate gets the start before Martin.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Guards (3)- Jeff, Fatts, CT or Martin, Adams, transfer to replace CT/Martin in starting lineup?

Forwards (2)- Langevine, Harris start, then Tate, Akele, Layssard (hopefully) Preston and Tertsea on outside looking in
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote:
ramster wrote:
wpbrown8267 wrote:

Jeff Dowtin
Fatts Russell
Jermaine Harris
Tyrese Martin
Cyril Langevine

Ramster that's a young team, but between the experience of Fatts, Jefe and CL and the talent of Martin and Harris, plus a loaded bench things would be looking good.

Edit: But I think Tate gets the start before Martin.
Martin is a year older due to the prep school year and he has improved immensely. Tate I’d say has more chance to beat out Langevine than Martin. Martin will fill the 3 very nicely. Tate more of a 4 like Langevine. I don’t think anyone beats out Harris for a starting spot. I’m more sold on Martin now than 2 months ago and I thought he would start 2 months ago. I don’t agree with most here that Thompson starts.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

If you are going to position players Cyril is a 5/C, Harris is a 4. I have seen Tate play several times he is not a 5. He might be 6-7. I like Dana a lot but he isn’t challenging Cyril for the starting 5 next year.

I hope Thompson turns out to anywhere near the player most have on this thread. He hasn’t showed that he is a good shooter. The numbers don’t lie. I don’t see the good defense. He just fouled a lot. He had more fouls per minute then Akele (and that is saying something).

I hope they sign a 5th year Sr - either size underneath or a shooter.
Based on the outstanding Fr class they will be able to go 8-9 deep which is good news. It will all filter out over the games on who earns a majority of the minutes.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote:If you are going to position players Cyril is a 5/C, Harris is a 4. I have seen Tate play several times he is not a 5. He might be 6-7. I like Dana a lot but he isn’t challenging Cyril for the starting 5 next year.

I hope Thompson turns out to anywhere near the player most have on this thread. He hasn’t showed that he is a good shooter. The numbers don’t lie. I don’t see the good defense. He just fouled a lot. He had more fouls per minute then Akele (and that is saying something).

Based on the outstanding Fr class they will be able to go 8-9 deep which is good news. It will all filter out over the games on who earns a majority of the minutes.
I don't intend to position players, especially after this season when we played 4 guards all year and only played either Langevine or Berry. I knew it would come back to haunt us in the NCAA before the season started and it did.
We were very small playing Garrett and Fatts often together along with Terrell, or Mathews or Dowtin - plus Berry or Langevine but almost never both.

Looking forward to next year when we have some height and get away from the small ball line up.

So my lineup admittedly absurdly early but that is what this thread is - absurdly early.............
1st choice:
Dowtin
Russell
Martin
Harris
Langevine

Or 2nd choice:
Dowtin
Russell
Martin
Harris
Tate
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

It is much more likely that Cyril Langevine is an all-conference player next year than it is that he comes off the bench in another game at URI.
10 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

TruePoint wrote:It is much more likely that Cyril Langevine is an all-conference player next year than it is that he comes off the bench in another game at URI.

Yes yes and yes this talk of him possibly not starting is absurd. As the season progressed his foul issues improved. The kid is a beast on the boards and freak athlete. His shot blocking will only improve and inside 10 feet he is tough to guard. Hell he almost singal handily kept us in the PC game 2 years ago as a frosh.

Cyril & Dowtin only guareented starters. Only reason i leave Fatts off that list is hope we are good and deep enough for him to be a 6th man. Sciring ability and defensive tenacity makes him perfect for that spot.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Appreciate your agreement with my comment on Cyril, so I hate to disappointment you. But I would say the same thing about Fatts as I did about Cyril. Fatts is likely going to lead the team in FG attempts the next three years, and he will be a 30+ minutes per night guy right from game 1 next season for the rest of his career. Sixth man is an important role, but it is for your 6th best player. I can't endorse having one of your best players on the bench for any reason other than he needs to rest every once in a while to remain effective.
6 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I pretty much think we have 4 locks for starters in Cyril JH Jefe and Fatts

The 5th spot looks open
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:It is much more likely that Cyril Langevine is an all-conference player next year than it is that he comes off the bench in another game at URI.
And you can see he is in my starting 5 anyway. But, Remember, most every poster had Cyril unanimously in the Starting Line Up for this season as well before the season started. Didn't happen.
We have some top notch big men coming in this Freshman Class
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Is it really a guarantee Harris starts? We’re adding size and depending on skill set having a position less 4 could help.

What’s our depth like at the 5?
I’ve considered Harris more of a swing-type 4 but if we’re thin on traditional bigs it wouldn’t surprise me to see harris as first off the bench to give Cyril a blow. I don’t know what cox would do with a lineup, so that remains to be seen.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody83 wrote:If you are going to position players Cyril is a 5/C, Harris is a 4. I have seen Tate play several times he is not a 5. He might be 6-7. I like Dana a lot but he isn’t challenging Cyril for the starting 5 next year.

Shooter please - the improvement of the team the last few years has coincided with Terrell and Stan making themselves better shooters. We have scorers, need at least one guy who is a sniper from deep.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote:Is it really a guarantee Harris starts? We’re adding size and depending on skill set having a position less 4 could help.

What’s our depth like at the 5?
I’ve considered Harris more of a swing-type 4 but if we’re thin on traditional bigs it wouldn’t surprise me to see harris as first off the bench to give Cyril a blow. I don’t know what cox would do with a lineup, so that remains to be seen.
Yes.
80% FT Shooter, can hit the three, great rebounder, runs the floor great, aggressive - he has to start. He is the highest ranked big man at URI since Lamar Odom. If he doesn’t start I’ll eat my computer
1 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Regarding the posters saying that Christian Thomson is no good, I am going to repost an excerpt from a post on the thread I made with his name:
Turnovers per 40: Fatts 1.8, CT 1.6
Steals per 40: Fatts 1.8, CT 1.7 (this spiked to 2.4 from 1.4 while playing hurt as a Sophomore, mind you, as Danny coached him to focus on defense after the emergence of El Jefe at the 1)
Assists per 40: Fatts 3.5, CT 2.2 (played limited time at the 1 his sophomore season after Jeff came in, as I mentioned in the OP -- this dropped from 2.4 to 1.8 as he handled the ball less)
Rebounds per 40: Fatts 3.7, CT 6.1 (very similar to Stan on the boards, he has a nose for the ball and knows where to be)

If you look at their offensive and defensive ratings per 100 possessions:
DRTG: Fatts 101.6, CT 98.1
ORTG: Fatts 102.3, CT 103.0
Technically CT achieved better ratings playing on (allegedly) weaker teams while hurt. (I say allegedly because I believe we were better last year than this recently past season, so this point can be argued)

NOW, all that said, let me clarify -- I do not compare CT and Fatts in any way other than to illustrate some statistical facts and prove I'm not relying on my "selective memory" as stated by a few posters above. If anything, based off these numbers, maybe some of you guys are the ones with a selective memory... :lol: ;)

This is merely to draw the parallel of how each player is perceived; CT is a lunchpail kind of guy. Less flash and doesn't really slash at the bucket much so he's made less noise on the path to putting up extremely similar numbers to our fanbase's pie in the sky Fatts Russell. I love them both (Fatts is my favorite URI player I've ever watched.... already), but CT deserves more love than he gets from our fans.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Since when did Dana Tate become a center? He's a perimeter player. He's 6'5"-6'6". He can shoot the 3 and the mid-range. His biggest strength is going to the basket and finishing with that strong body. He is not a back to the basket player. He's a stretch 4 or a 3. He will never play the same position as Cyril. And Ramster, Cyril DID start at the beginning of the season. He got hurt. When he was ready to come back, Dan eased him back and monitored his minutes by having him come off the bench. We started winning a lot of games with Andre starting and Cyril coming off the bench. Why mess with success? Cyril was still playing more minutes than Andre. Dan just kept the winning formula intact. Cyril 100% starts next year. Dana can come in and spell either whoever starts at the 3 and the 4.
1 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

ramster wrote:
And you can see he is in my starting 5 anyway. But, Remember, most every poster had Cyril unanimously in the Starting Line Up for this season as well before the season started. Didn't happen.
Cyril was a starter to begin the season, before he got hurt. Had he not gotten hurt, he would have started all year.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Shaolin Swat wrote:
ramster wrote:
Cyril was a starter to begin the season, before he got hurt. Had he not gotten hurt, he would have started all year.
Yes, but Cyril and Andre started together for the first 2 or 3 games, whatever it was until Cyril got hurt. Stan was the 6th man to start the season.
0 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

I think Tate starts at the 3 and Layssard gets a chance to back up Harris/Langevine. Dan was such a stickler for playing D that Layssard did not get a chance but maybe Cox sees the offensive potential there and plays him (maybe 8-12 mins/game....or until he fouls out - I think it was that SH game he picked up 3 fouls in like a min). He has a chance to be the next "Berry" in terms of upping his playing time his last 2 years, it's basically now or never for him....I think Tate has the perfect offense/defense for that 3 spot and will be vying for A10 all freshman team along side Harris...... Thompson will take some time to get his game going and a perfect spot to start is off the bench...... If all goes according to plan this team could be a monster by February.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Cyril is definitely more of a 5 and Harris a 4 , but the combination of Cyril and Harris could be absolute monsters on the glass.
and if you bring in Tate at the 3 they could be a brutal front line. We will have a lot of flexibility with the new guys coming in.

1-Dowtin
2-Russell
3-Thompson /Martin
4-Harris / Tate
5-Langevine
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

I am also very excited for Martin, I didn't have him in my early starting 5, but that guy can really keep a defense honest with his shooting. He is a legit deep threat and I think will be more consistent then what we had this year in regards to 3 pt shooting - JT, EC could get hot but some games was abysmal and ice cold. Jefe got better as the yr went on too
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I won't pretend to know how things will look on day one, but I think once the freshman get acclimated our best lineup will be...

Dowtin
Fatts
Tate
Harris
Cyril
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

the_one_mike wrote:Regarding the posters saying that Christian Thomson is no good, I am going to repost an excerpt from a post on the thread I made with his name:
Turnovers per 40: Fatts 1.8, CT 1.6
Steals per 40: Fatts 1.8, CT 1.7 (this spiked to 2.4 from 1.4 while playing hurt as a Sophomore, mind you, as Danny coached him to focus on defense after the emergence of El Jefe at the 1)
Assists per 40: Fatts 3.5, CT 2.2 (played limited time at the 1 his sophomore season after Jeff came in, as I mentioned in the OP -- this dropped from 2.4 to 1.8 as he handled the ball less)
Rebounds per 40: Fatts 3.7, CT 6.1 (very similar to Stan on the boards, he has a nose for the ball and knows where to be)

If you look at their offensive and defensive ratings per 100 possessions:
DRTG: Fatts 101.6, CT 98.1
ORTG: Fatts 102.3, CT 103.0
Technically CT achieved better ratings playing on (allegedly) weaker teams while hurt. (I say allegedly because I believe we were better last year than this recently past season, so this point can be argued)

NOW, all that said, let me clarify -- I do not compare CT and Fatts in any way other than to illustrate some statistical facts and prove I'm not relying on my "selective memory" as stated by a few posters above. If anything, based off these numbers, maybe some of you guys are the ones with a selective memory... :lol: ;)

This is merely to draw the parallel of how each player is perceived; CT is a lunchpail kind of guy. Less flash and doesn't really slash at the bucket much so he's made less noise on the path to putting up extremely similar numbers to our fanbase's pie in the sky Fatts Russell. I love them both (Fatts is my favorite URI player I've ever watched.... already), but CT deserves more love than he gets from our fans.
All good data,
But this is about the starting line up. So do you start Fatts or Thompson. Belly up to the bar. What’s your starting line up?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:Since when did Dana Tate become a center? He's a perimeter player. He's 6'5"-6'6". He can shoot the 3 and the mid-range. His biggest strength is going to the basket and finishing with that strong body. He is not a back to the basket player. He's a stretch 4 or a 3. He will never play the same position as Cyril. And Ramster, Cyril DID start at the beginning of the season. He got hurt. When he was ready to come back, Dan eased him back and monitored his minutes by having him come off the bench. We started winning a lot of games with Andre starting and Cyril coming off the bench. Why mess with success? Cyril was still playing more minutes than Andre. Dan just kept the winning formula intact. Cyril 100% starts next year. Dana can come in and spell either whoever starts at the 3 and the 4.
I don’t understand your criticism,
Cyril IS in my starting line up.
Again.....
Russell
Dowtin
Harris
Martin
Langevine
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

ramster wrote:
Actually Berry and Langevine both started at the beginning of the season until Langevine got hurt. Holy Cross was Stan's first start.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:Since when did Dana Tate become a center? He's a perimeter player. He's 6'5"-6'6". He can shoot the 3 and the mid-range. His biggest strength is going to the basket and finishing with that strong body. He is not a back to the basket player. He's a stretch 4 or a 3. He will never play the same position as Cyril. And Ramster, Cyril DID start at the beginning of the season. He got hurt. When he was ready to come back, Dan eased him back and monitored his minutes by having him come off the bench. We started winning a lot of games with Andre starting and Cyril coming off the bench. Why mess with success? Cyril was still playing more minutes than Andre. Dan just kept the winning formula intact. Cyril 100% starts next year. Dana can come in and spell either whoever starts at the 3 and the 4.
My starting line up was:
Russell
Dowtin
Harris
Martin
Langevine

I said Tate could possible start in my 2nd option of a line up, but that is my 2nd option. My first has Langevine.
And I never labeled who was in what position. You are assuming Tate goes in Langevine’s position.

I had not thought that far. But in this world of positionless basketball that we are in now and college basketball is getting even more so into it, I don’t think about the traditional 5,4,3,2,1 positions.

Langevine started the first two games but even when healthy he never earned back his starting position. Robinson kept that job once he got the starting chance and he was often the MVP.

Last preseason most everyone had Langevine in the starting line up, including me. I was wrong. Many had Preston in the preseason line up too look how that turned out.
My point is there this is absurdly early to predict starting line ups but I have a very high opinion of Harris. I have seen him play. He is a lock for starting and could battle Dowtin for the team’s best player in his first year, he is that good. No,way he doesn’t start imho.

As for Langevine, I do not think he is a lack to start. That is a good think. It shows how talented I think the incoming freshman class could and will be.

I wouldn’t sleep on Mike Layssard. Antonio Reynolds Dean was high on Mike, always was. I asked Bob Hurley what he thought of Mike about a month ago and he said he was not sure yet, but did not rule him out. Mike is much slimmer than when he first came to URI, much stronger. He is quicker now. I don’t think Hurley was such a fan of Mike ‘s but Hurley was hell bent on his 4 guard line up much to my chagrin. No way Langevine was breaking back into the starting line up once Hurley went with the 4 guards. Heck, Hurley never even tried a 3 guard line up even after the game started until finally in the Duke game when Berry and Langevine looked like they had rarely played on the floor together, and of course they hadn’t so no surprise.

I’ll be interested to see what Cox does with Layssard and to a lesser extent what he does with Tertsea and does he go away from small ball. I for one hope so.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
I don’t understand your criticism,
Cyril IS in my starting line up.
Again.....
Russell
Dowtin
Harris
Martin
Langevine
I was responding to your comment that we all had Cyril in the starting lineup before last season started and he never did. He did.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And last preseason everyone had Langevine guaranteed in their starting line up too, including you and me.
I was wrong.
I don’t see Langevine as high as you and I see the incoming Freshmen as much more capable of grabbing starting positions than all posters who have predicted so far. Harris, Martin and Tate could all three be pushing hard for starting positions or at least big minutes from the start in my opinion.

I also think a new coach will not be near as conservative as Hurley who once he settled on a starting line up almost would take an act of god to change it, he was very stubborn.

But I understand your love for Langevine.

Love his rebounding, defense, strength.
Big shortcoming is Free Throw shooting of only 50% and any shot outside of 5 feet from the hoop. Another question for me is how much of his low stat games were deform injury or from simply having low stat games in points and rebounds. I’d like to think it was injury related but I’m not sold on that. His great games were all conference level but overall there were quite a few low games. Foul trouble needs to improve too.
Tate, Martin and Harris will push very hard for minutes from day 1.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It is funny that everyone has Harris as a starter, but many people have either Martin or Tate as starters. Love both of those guys, but Adams is higher rated prospect and people should not discount him. No matter who starts, Adams will play good minutes and we will likely need some scoring from him at times.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This is about starting line ups. Adams has Dowtin and Russell in front of him. That’s the difference. Harris, Martin and Tate are stronger candidates to start imho than Adams.
If Hurley was still here with his penchant for Guards I’d have Adams higher up,the list but I think whoever the new HC is will not be doing the 4 guard line up which I never liked.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

It's tough to really gauge what the starting lineups will be. Almost like a flip of the coin outside of fatts and jefe. As of now I think Langevine is a starter. But things can change quickly depending on how players play in offseasons workouts and during the summer. As much as we had depth last year and Hurley mentioned we have 8 starters I think much can be said about this year and the year after. It may take a half season for freshman to get acclimated but by conference play we could be starting at 8 starters. I like Adam's (initially speaking) in a off the bench scoring type role coming in for fatts and carrying a lot of the scoring load at times when fatts comes out.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:This is about starting line ups.
Is it? That is news to me. I always thought that rotations involved more than the five starters (hence why they call it a "rotation"). You said Harris, Tate and Martin will push for minutes. I think Adams will push for minutes as well. In fact, I'd be surprised if he plays the least minutes of the four freshmen.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:
ramster wrote:This is about starting line ups.
Is it? That is news to me. I always thought that rotations involved more than the five starters (hence why they call it a "rotation"). You said Harris, Tate and Martin will push for minutes. I think Adams will push for minutes as well. In fact, I'd be surprised if he plays the least minutes of the four freshmen.
Well most posters were putting up starting line ups. That is what I did that is why there has not been much discussion about Adams until you brought him up as a rotation guy

Look back even at the very first post of the thread by the guy who started it and gave it the title - even he started it with a proposed starting line up with one position an either/or
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

That is fine, but I did not realize I was prohibited from talking about other players that will likely see significant minutes (i.e., the rotation).

Anyways, I really think with how young the team will be next year and with the core of real legit experience, they will have to rely on Jeff, Fatts and Cyril to play significant minutes. Obviously Langevine may not play as many minutes as the other two because his minutes tend to be tough, physical minutes that wear you down and because he has shown a propensity to get into foul trouble. But from a talent standpoint, there is no question he is one of the five best on the team. He was this year, too, by the end. Berry retained an honorary starting role, but Cyril got more minutes and the more important minutes for most of the second half of the season. And that was on a team with lots of experienced and talented seniors that demanded floor time.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Well change of subject. On Instagram live CL took a pic in a hospital scrub. Captioned straight out. Hernia surgery?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

There you go.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Oh goodness get well soon Cyril !!
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

sevegny7 wrote:Well change of subject. On Instagram live CL took a pic in a hospital scrub. Captioned straight out. Hernia surgery?
I saw the pic you're referring to and wondered the same thing. However, Daniel Marshall posted 4 pictures today that showed the start of off-season team conditioning workouts and Cyril was in those pics. So there's that...
1 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Dowtin/Fatts/Adams (if he stays)
Fatts/Thompson/Martin
Tate/Thompson/Martin
Harris/Tate/Akele/Layssard
Cyril/Layssard/Tertsea
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Don't see much playing time for Preston or Tertsea. Neither showed anything to me in their limited exposure.
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

It will be interesting to see if any of the reserve bigs are able to emerge as a solid bench option moving forward. Akele, Tertsea, Preston and Layssard have shown very little. In the order of most likely to become serviceable this is how I would rank them:

1. Layssard
2. Preston
3. Akele
4. Tertsea

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tertsea transfer. I want to see Layssard develop into Berry's replacement. Serviceable space eater who can make the bunnies around the hoop.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Akele seems like a great young man, but I've never been a huge fan of his skills on the basketball court. Length and the occasional rebound or two is all you really get from him. I'd rather see most of his minutes get distributed elsewhere. And I might be in the minority, but I'm still intrigued by Preston and Layssard. I thought each of them showed brief flashes of what they can do in the limited minutes they received. They're both big bodies which could prove to be useful. Tertsea is a complete mystery. With the returning players and number of talented prospects coming in, I just don't see him getting any playing time.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I think 1 of either Preston or Laysard will get rotation minutes and have a shot to contribute
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I think Akele is ahead of Preston for a number of reasons, the first and most important is his understanding of the game. I just see Preston as a physical specimen with very little polish or acumen. I know it sounds harsh with so little playing time, and may not be fair, but he's had three years to produce and hasn't. Akele has shown he can produce when given the opportunity.
1 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

RAM67 wrote:I think Akele is ahead of Preston for a number of reasons, the first and most important is his understanding of the game. I just see Preston as a physical specimen with very little polish or acumen. I know it sounds harsh with so little playing time, and may not be fair, but he's had three years to produce and hasn't. Akele has shown he can produce when given the opportunity.
Wasn't this Preston's first year on the team??
0 x