2018 Atlantic 10 Tournament - Washington, D.C.

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Re: 2018 Atlantic 10 Tournament - Washington, D.C.

Unread post by Section104 »

Looks like we get the winner of Dayton/VCU then St. Joes
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
theblueram wrote:Can you tell me why we were seeded a 4 or 5 last week? Maybe that might help you.

exactly blueram....it is hard to imagine going from a 4 or 5 seed to out of the tournament in 3 games. so we are probably in, but you will be squirming if we lose on Friday.

look at it this way...if you never saw a bracket, didn't know our RPI and had no inkling of our national ranking, but just looked at our resume and saw that we were 5-5 vs top 100 RPI with none of those wins on the road, would you honestly say.."Yeah, that team is definitely worthy of an at large bid"?
Probably in? Gotta be kidding right? We have been a Top 25 team for the last six weeks. We had a bad week. Oh well. But you people are hilarious.
3 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Section104 wrote:Looks like we get the winner of Dayton/VCU then St. Joes
Or STL as the 4 seed if they beat Bona tonight and advance past Friday
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We will be a 7-10 seed as long as we win Friday night.

A 7 if we win the tourney, 8/9 if we lose Sunday.

9/10 if we lose Saturday.

We now know that VCU is the 8 seed next weekend, with either Dayton or Duquesne their opponent Thursday.

Duquesne wins tonight, they are the 9 seed.

Yeah the 4 seed is St. Joes, unless St. Louis beats the Bonnies tonight.

Nothing is easy.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote:We will be a 7-10 seed as long as we win Friday night.

A 7 if we win the tourney, 8/9 if we lose Sunday.

9/10 if we lose Saturday.

We now know that VCU is the 8 seed next weekend, with either Dayton or Duquesne their opponent Thursday.

Duquesne wins tonight, they are the 9 seed.

Yeah the 4 seed is St. Joes, unless St. Louis beats the Bonnies tonight.

Nothing is easy.
Do you have relations with the committee now? If we win the tournament we are a 6 seed. If we lose on Friday we are a 7 seed.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

theblueram wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:
theblueram wrote:Can you tell me why we were seeded a 4 or 5 last week? Maybe that might help you.

exactly blueram....it is hard to imagine going from a 4 or 5 seed to out of the tournament in 3 games. so we are probably in, but you will be squirming if we lose on Friday.

look at it this way...if you never saw a bracket, didn't know our RPI and had no inkling of our national ranking, but just looked at our resume and saw that we were 5-5 vs top 100 RPI with none of those wins on the road, would you honestly say.."Yeah, that team is definitely worthy of an at large bid"?
Probably in? Gotta be kidding right? We have been a Top 25 team for the last six weeks. We had a bad week. Oh well. But you people are hilarious.

If we lose Friday I will be very happy to be wrong.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

blueram, look at bracket matrix......we are a high 7 right now, with 2/3 of the seeds not updated.....we will be in the 8's once it's updated in a day or 2.

Will not be a 7 if we lose Friday. More like a 10. And a few might even have us out.

And losing to either St. Louis or St. Joes on Saturday would also be another bad loss.

We've got to play better and not give another one away. Simple as that.
1 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

theblueram wrote:
URI'21 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:I tried reading through this and stopped so I guess I’m back to the point where I just put a post out there that says:

“NOT ALL URI FANS ARE AS DUMB TO BELIEVE THAT WE ARE ALL OF A SUDDEN NOT AN NCAA TOURNAMENT TEAM BECAUSE OF TWO GAMES”
Want to read my post again and have an actual discussion? I still think we're a great team but right now our resume does not accurately reflect our ability. 3 quality wins and 4 losses in last 6 games (3 of which would be to non-tournament teams) is not a lock resume.
Also, I'm guessing your not a Math Major. We have 3 losses in the last 21 games.

Read my post before you insult me.

URI'21 wrote:Although I am very firmly on the 'optimistic' side of the spectrum about the state of our team, if we lose our first game of the tourney I would definitely be nervous on selection sunday.
4 losses would include a hypothetical first loss in the A10 tourney. Loss at Bona. Loss vs Joes. Loss at Davidson. Loss in the first round.

We were going to be a four seed if we won out. We did NOT win out.

I'm guessing you don't follow college basketball if you think that 3 quality wins and numerous recent losses is a lock to the tournament.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The losses to Bonnies and Davidson don't really hurt much by themselves....but when you couple them with the bad loss to St. Joes and a potential another bad loss, that's when things get nervous Nellie time.

We don't have the Q1 wins to feel totally safe if that happens. Who cares if we were a potential 4 seed a couple of weeks ago?

It's what matters NOW that counts!

We get to the final Sunday and all is well win or lose.....we just need to avoid another big blot on our resume, and that's what we'll have if we lose to ANY of the 4-14 ranked teams in this conference!

Believe me, I'd sign for a 10 seed right now and run with it!
Last edited by rambone 78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

rambone 78 wrote:blueram, look at bracket matrix......we are a high 7 right now, with 2/3 of the seeds not updated.....we will be in the 8's once it's updated in a day or 2.

Will not be a 7 if we lose Friday. More like a 10. And a few might even have us out.

And losing to either St. Louis or St. Joes on Saturday would also be another bad loss.

rambone...my whole issue with this is that I think, in retrospect, that we were over seeded to begin with. yes...I was one that was trumpeting a probably 4 seed until the bonnie's loss. that's because I felt even though we hadn't really beaten anyone (except for st. bonnies) since the PC game, we didn't lose to anyone either. you can only beat who they put on the schedule. now as I look back, what did we really do to be a 4 or 5? we're 5-5 vs top 100 RPI with no road wins and best RPI wins vs 24 and 28. By comparison, PC is 10-9 vs top 100 RPI with 2 road wins and best wins over 2 and 3 RPI. I like their resume much better...especially if we lose Friday. we were way over seeded a week ago. and if we were properly seeded then (as an 8 or 9), the two losses we just incurred should put us very much on the bubble.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I agree we were overseeded....but I've thought all along that the committee would seed us a line or 2 below what we were.

Now we're about where we should be imo.....closing out games is a big problem, and has been for a while.

The Bonnies and Davidson losses did not hurt us....but the Joes loss was big....and we can't afford another.

The Good Rams have to make an appearance and stick around for a while.....
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I'm going to change the subject here because none of us are actually seeding experts nor do we sit on the selection committee. I would like to face St. Joe's in Game 7 and blow them the fuck out. That's all I wanted to say. Go back to your seeding talk.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well it's VCU/Dayton on Thursday. If VCU wins they will have a big crowd advantage in DC.

As for the Bonnies, this Stockard guy has absolutely come out of the woodwork to be a beast for them. They now have an inside game, a huge reason for their improvement.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

BleedBlue87 wrote:I'm going to change the subject here because none of us are actually seeding experts nor do we sit on the selection committee. I would like to face St. Joe's in Game 7 and blow them the fuck out. That's all I wanted to say. Go back to your seeding talk.

agree with you

this thread should be about the A10 Tournament in DC - not NCAA - that should be a separate thread - too confusing
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I absolutely love the draw here with how the bracket broke for us.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Adam what is it you like?
What were your concerns or worries beforehand?
I’m a bit worried because of VCU and Dayton tournament experience even though both are having down years - what do you think?
It is good that Bonnie’s and Davidson are on other side.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am in the camp that we are in even with a loss Friday no squirming for me

VCU or Dayton may hang around for awhile but we should pull away at the end and right the ship
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote:Adam what is it you like?
What were your concerns or worries beforehand?
I’m a bit worried because of VCU and Dayton tournament experience even though both are having down years - what do you think?
It is good that Bonnie’s and Davidson are on other side.
We've handled Dayton twice already fairly easily. Sure its tough to beat the same team 3 times in one season but I think we match up well with them. VCU is another team we handled at their place fairly easily. Tillman is a problem, but outside of him they don't worry me much. We should have plenty of confidence knowing neither gave us much trouble during the regular season.

Once you get through that game there is nobody out of the next group of teams that should scare us. LaSalle, UMass, George Mason and St.Joe's. I would love another shot at St. Joe's. I think that'd bring out the side of this team that we need to see right now. LaSalle would be interesting because we obviously havent had an answer for BJ Johnson, but they'd also have to win 3 games to even get to us.

Of course it's a conference tournament and absolutely anything can happen as it does every year in conferences all the time. But assuming this team is back to being itself again come Friday, I don't see much resistance until the finals.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Agreed with Adam. Plus didn’t we beat Someone three times last season? Davidson maybe?
1 x
GO RAMS
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

VCU scares me. They have some bigs that could put Langevine in foul trouble. They hung with us down there and that was one of our best games. We're not playing as well now. That game would be a rock fight IMO.
Last edited by UCH21377 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

I want them to play St Joes on Saturday. A chance at revenge and to show people that was a fluke last Tuesday historically missing all those wide open shots. Double digit win gets their mojo back for revenge on Sunday. I think this team will win with revenge on their mind. Then the tourney people will see they beat the teams that just beat them and give them a little pass on the last 2 losses and they get a 6.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I agree, definitely want another shot at St. Joe's. And I'm sure Dan is going to spend plenty of time this week working on beating a zone.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI A-10 Tournament Games TV Coverage
Friday 03/08/18 noon NBC Sports Network
if advance
Saturday 03/09/18 1pm CBS Sports Network
if advance
Sunday 03/10/18 1pm CBS
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Looking forward to heading to the games starting Friday.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I'm not worried about any of the teams. Only URI matters. They have to get their game going.

In this year's A10 if you worry about one team, then you worry about them all because they are all middling.

Guys on URI have to play their roles. EC Matthews does some things well besides score, but not really. When he plays, he must score and threaten to score. And that goes for the rest of them. They have to do what they do.

For around 6 weeks the talk was about how URI could put together 40 minutes of end to end tough ball. Over the past two weeks we haven't been the team mentally and physically tough enough to put that 40 minutes of pressure. It has been the other way around.

Just have to get back to that.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A-10 Bracket 2018.jpg
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Jarvis, Fatts and especially EC need to shoot better for us to start playing well again. Our defense is still strong but these guys need to start scoring.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I've always kind of felt like its tough for the 1 seed to get that Noon game. We haven't played a day game since January either with the Tuesday/Friday schedule we were on in February. Will be interesting to see how we start out.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

adam914 wrote:I've always kind of felt like its tough for the 1 seed to get that Noon game. We haven't played a day game since January either with the Tuesday/Friday schedule we were on in February. Will be interesting to see how we start out.
When we played the morning game this year, Dan said it worked well for them because that is the time they practice every day. We'll see.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
adam914 wrote:I've always kind of felt like its tough for the 1 seed to get that Noon game. We haven't played a day game since January either with the Tuesday/Friday schedule we were on in February. Will be interesting to see how we start out.
When we played the morning game this year, Dan said it worked well for them because that is the time they practice every day. We'll see.
Good call, forgot about that.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It's to give the one seed an advantage moving forward in the tournament. Assuming advancement we always have more rest than the team we play
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

eli#10 wrote:Jarvis, Fatts and especially EC need to shoot better for us to start playing well again. Our defense is still strong but these guys need to start scoring.
I don't know what is up with EC. His shots are so far off it's like he has eye site problems. Does he need contacts? He has thrown up so many air balls that it seems if they kept a record of that he could have it. He can't even hit a free throw (most not that close either). I don't know if he can turn it around....JG was I thought our best consistent shooter in January into February but can't hit a single shot past few games. I have more confidence in him turning it around though.....Fatts to me hasn't been consistent shooting all year 34/26% but if he starts a game hitting a shot he gets confident. I just wish that when he takes a 3 he is a little closer to the line as most of his shots at the top off the circle are 3+ feet before the line. He might be worried it gets blocked. More confident in him making shots than EC, at this time.

They do need at least 2 guys to shoot at least 50% plus JT to beat good teams. EC/JG/Fatts or Stan need to do it.

Jeff needs to be more aggressive offensively also. After leading the team offensively the 2 games prior he deferred the last 2 games deferring to others. He needs to take over when others can't.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
It's to give the one seed an advantage moving forward in the tournament. Assuming advancement we always have more rest than the team we play
Yeah, I hear that. Just was thinking maybe it'd be a cool advantage to give the 1 seed the choice on when to play or something. I'm sure that would open up another host of issues I guess though. I don't know, just thinking out loud here because waiting a week for this game might kill me.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Why the hell are we even talking about a loss on Friday? Granting that we did not play our best game against Davidson, if we played the same game on a neutral court we'd have won, and if we play the same game next Friday on a neutral court against a much worse team, we will win easily. Unless we have a St. Joe's performance, it's hard to imagine losing the game. We've had one St. Joe's performance in the last five years and it came under very unique and very specific circumstances. We've played 3 games against Dayton and VCU this season, and we've run them off the court each time.

Snap out of it, people.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:Why the hell are we even talking about a loss on Friday? Granting that we did not play our best game against Davidson, if we played the same game on a neutral court we'd have won, and if we play the same game next Friday on a neutral court against a much worse team, we will win easily. Unless we have a St. Joe's performance, it's hard to imagine losing the game. We've had one St. Joe's performance in the last five years and it came under very unique and very specific circumstances. We've played 3 games against Dayton and VCU this season, and we've run them off the court each time.

Snap out of it, people.
I think a lot of people are getting caught up on the Dayton and VCU names, which I get, but totally agree that we are talking about a 9-9 and 8-10 team here. Certainly not something that we should be worried about as a 15-3 number one seed. Just don't play like complete shit and we should be fine.
3 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

We should be worried regardless! No such thing as a freebie in March, and I think the mindset of a team being an easy out is what cost us vs St Joes. Our guys need to bring fire and intensity, not a "don't play too shitty" mentality.

Regardless, I'm 100% confident we win Friday, but "what ifs" are fun for discussion.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

adam914 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Why the hell are we even talking about a loss on Friday? Granting that we did not play our best game against Davidson, if we played the same game on a neutral court we'd have won, and if we play the same game next Friday on a neutral court against a much worse team, we will win easily. Unless we have a St. Joe's performance, it's hard to imagine losing the game. We've had one St. Joe's performance in the last five years and it came under very unique and very specific circumstances. We've played 3 games against Dayton and VCU this season, and we've run them off the court each time.

Snap out of it, people.
I think a lot of people are getting caught up on the Dayton and VCU names, which I get, but totally agree that we are talking about a 9-9 and 8-10 team here. Certainly not something that we should be worried about as a 15-3 number one seed. Just don't play like complete shit and we should be fine.
Dayton and VCU in the 8/9 game seems an unlikely thing. I get how it happened, but it’s certainly not great for the conference. People can trash the UConn job and the AAC all they want, but they have have three teams in the top 25 and seem to be able to better weather traditionally strong teams struggling.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I don't like when Ace mentions other jobs...
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I’m just mad at the A10 right now. I’ll be over it by Thursday.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Dayton and VCU meeting early also eliminates one of the two best traveling fan-bases. This hurts later tournament attendance. Dayton going out early in Pittsburgh last year was bad as that site was mainly chosen for them (not for Duquesne).
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Yea I don't think anyone thinks we are competing with the Big East and AAC right now. Thats like 5 years ago type stuff.

A10 is like the Colonial on steroids now. Oh well.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

It goes in cycles. The A10 will be back to getting 3 or 4 at-large teams.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RF1 wrote:Dayton and VCU meeting early also eliminates one of the two best traveling fan-bases. This hurts later tournament attendance. Dayton going out early in Pittsburgh last year was bad as that site was mainly chosen for them (not for Duquesne).
Good point. The DC location would be perfect in a year when VCU and Mason or Richmond were strong.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

At least we don't have to beat all of the other top 4 seeds. We are 2-3 against them.

Will be nice if our experience and other teams lack of experience comes into play.

BacktoBack.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

URI'21 wrote:We should be worried regardless! No such thing as a freebie in March, and I think the mindset of a team being an easy out is what cost us vs St Joes. Our guys need to bring fire and intensity, not a "don't play too shitty" mentality.

Regardless, I'm 100% confident we win Friday, but "what ifs" are fun for discussion.
Of course the players should not be having the mindset of any easy outs, I was speaking more as a fan base. Definitely agree there are no freebies in March and anything can happen in conference tournaments as I said in my original post. I just don't think you'll find too many other fan bases of a 15-3 number 1 seed being too worried about 9-9 and 8-10 number 8 and 9 seeds.
1 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Anyone know when the all conference teams are announced?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Backroads wrote:Anyone know when the all conference teams are announced?
Tuesday
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

At first glance I thought RI got as difficult a draw in the tourney as they could...A matchup vs two teams that have a history of winning in March then a team that embarrassed us on our home floor. But in thinking about it more, I think a rematch with St Joe’s is exactly what they need to get their mojo back. I don’t know if St Joe’s is just a bad matchup for us (obviously 30 pts is a fluke) and I’m not saying it’s a given that we’ll beat them in a rematch. But there is no other team in the tourney that is going to grab our attention like SJU and I think beating them will restore the teams confidence like no other team could.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Joes best players executed their game plan very well.

Then add the length they play with. and the zone being packed in.

They came out with a plan. We just came out.

Obviously they aren't 30 points better. But they were that day. And to beat them it will take more than just playing them again.
0 x