‘20 MD Elijah Wood (Nebraska)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Re: ‘20 MD Elijah Wood (Rhode Island Commit)

Unread post by giovanni »

"1) I have seen him play live double digit times
2) Not sure why it should be termed "unfortunate that there has been some negative feedback". Sounds like you want a board where feedback is sterile and only positives are allowed.
3) What do you mean by you "will side with Cox and Professionals?" Who do you consider professionals? Some of the people who to these twitter posts, instagram posts, etc are kids in their low 20's and below.

I will be removing anything negative I said and if anyone wants to know of my observations they can pm me. But a word of warning, I am not a professional"

Great post, not quite sure what is means and why you seem to be so defensive. First of all, I did not look back and see who may have been criticizing him. It could have been DC, 83, Bos, all guys I respect their opinion. It could have been anyone. I just recall quite a bit of negative feedback. Everyone has a right to their opinion and I respect many although I may agree to disagree at times. My feeling happens to be that I would trust David Cox and staff's opinion over someone posting endlessly behind a keyboard call me crazy. I am sorry if I am not entitled to have my opinion btw. While he and staff will make mistakes as all staffs will, I will side with him at this point in his career. He has been around the game up close for quite a while as a recruiter. And yes I would consider him a "professional" since he is getting paid nearly a million dollars to evaluate and recruit, it is his livelihood as it is the assistants. I may watch some tape or a few AAU games, as many here do, but I certainly wouldn't consider myself or anyone here an expert. And I also would venture a guess that no one on this board analyzes , evaluates and recruits kids for a living. Just another opinion or wild guess. If you do and are a "professional" I am sorry I offended you. However you also stated you are not a "professional" and that greatly surprises me.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I have this morning gone back and removed anything that can be construed as negative
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I’ll admit I wasn’t high on the kid. But Cox and staffs evaluation trump my self-proclaimed expertise any day of the week. I will always defer and will never act like I know more than I do.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

My point is that you and others are say "family and friend read this shit" so I removed anything negative. You might consider the same is all I'm saying. Slim had the most comments but I think Slim left town :D
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

I applaud what you did, ramster.

URI used to be a team that survived on diamonds in the rough. Remember the Al Skinner years? That was his bread and butter.

Granted, they are getting fewer and further between, but how can we ever have any, if we aren't willing to take a chance on someone like this? He obviously might not get immediate playing time, yet he is willing to come here. He might be a glue guy for a long time, before he gets a shot to start, yet he is still willing to come here.

I wish more people were like you and just gave this kid, who is legitimately trying to stick to something, a break.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Imagine if Cuttino Mobley had to put up with this internet stuff, back in the day?

He was recruited at the same time as Tyson Wheeler and Sean Colson.

We would have heard stuff like: he has some good quicks, but his handle is suspect. He's spastic. Don't expect much more than a bench player. Etc, etc, etc.

Not everyone comes here as a finished polished product right out of the box.
2 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago My point is that you and others are say "family and friend read this shit" so I removed anything negative. You might consider the same is all I'm saying. Slim had the most comments but I think Slim left town :D
He's lookin' for the king of 42nd street
4 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

lol. He's looking for a man named Jim.

It may sound funny, but he took all his money, and Slim came to get his money back.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I think he's driving a drop top Cadillac
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 4 years ago My point is that you and others are say "family and friend read this shit" so I removed anything negative. You might consider the same is all I'm saying. Slim had the most comments but I think Slim left town :D
If you are referring to me, I have never said once that family and friends read this board, you have the wrong guy. I also have never said anyone cannot have a negative opinion,if that is the twist you want to put on my post so be it. Personally I choose to take a more positive look at things, that is my preference. And I am not criticizing anyone's take on a player, this is a message board feel free to post as you like. I am not pointing fingers at anyone and if I did so, I apologize if I hurt anybody's feelings. All I meant to say is simply I read a lot of negative comments about his game . Anyone who may not like his game that is their personal opinion , they may be right and I respect that. What I said is I have not seen him play, so my choice is to side with coaches and their opinions over the thoughts of some posters. That is my opinion whether you think it is right or wrong. You have your opinion, I have mine is that ok with you? Hope I didn't hurt your feeling again you seem very sensitive.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago
If you are referring to me, I have never said once that family and friends read this board, you have the wrong guy. I also have never said anyone cannot have a negative opinion,if that is the twist you want to put on my post so be it. Personally I choose to take a more positive look at things, that is my preference. And I am not criticizing anyone's take on a player, this is a message board feel free to post as you like. I am not pointing fingers at anyone and if I did so, I apologize if I hurt anybody's feelings. All I meant to say is simply I read a lot of negative comments about his game . Anyone who may not like his game that is their personal opinion , they may be right and I respect that. What I said is I have not seen him play, so my choice is to side with coaches and their opinions over the thoughts of some posters. That is my opinion whether you think it is right or wrong. You have your opinion, I have mine is that ok with you? Hope I didn't hurt your feeling again you seem very sensitive.
I was Not referring to you regarding the quote “families and friends of recruits read this shit”. That is DC_Rams
Anything I had negative on this thread is gone.
Trust the Coach

I get it
I’m on board. If players, players families and their friends are reading this board then we should honor that.
No negative shit
Pass the koolaid
I’m not sensitive just on board.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Ok do as you please. I am not going to go on and on, but again I am not sure I have ever said "pass the koolaid" and have everyone post only glowing comments. I may disagree with some things that are said. I think that can be said about many people on many boards and their thoughts. Believe me, I am not always happy with players or coaches, but these days I try to control an emotional response or emotional comment. And I am not saying you make a comment based on emotion talking about myself. That is just me, different people have different thoughts and different opinions, different approaches. I believe everyone on this board are big URI fans, I know you are for sure. But its a message board take some comments for what they are and people will always have differing opinions. I am not trying to ruffle any feathers.

I was just reading the thread on what PC board is saying about all things URI. I do not read their board, but I do find it amusing some of their comments that are mentioned here. Maybe somehow we can make their board with how 2 guys are wasting their time debating about something silly over a meaningless and inferior program to the great one in beautiful Providence.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Gotta say lot's of discussion on here. They way I see it, he's a 4* player and plays his way into a starting role or he doesn't and he sits. Pretty simple.
2 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

I don't love the negativity before the kid even suits up for us. I think if he isn't playing well as a Ram, criticism can be warranted, but let's give him a chance first. Families probably read every school's message boards and we're far from the worst.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I feel like the concerns about him as a player have been expressed and dont need to be expressed any further.

We will see what happens. For all we know he will be better than Leggett. I remember people being more excited about Laysaard than Cyril.
1 x
LamonteUlmer15
Michael Andersen

Unread post by LamonteUlmer15 »

Wood just announced his de-commitment from URI... taking a postgrad year at Hargrave Military Academy instead
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Word around is that the kid is having some issues academically and personally. Wish him all the best.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Even if he didn’t decommit, he was going to have to do a prep year anyway but now we have even more to offer a grad transfer.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Even if he did commit he was never going to see playing time at URI
No surprise at all that he is not coming. Best for all parties
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Even if he did commit he was never going to play at URI
lol why do you say that?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago Even if he did commit he was never going to play at URI
lol why do you say that?
lol
I've seen him play plenty of times
does this mean I can put back ion all my previous posts my true observations that I erased?
Just kidding
2 x
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

Any chance we chase him in next years class? I’m just at a total lose with what’s gone on over the past year with this team. It’s sad but it’s becoming harder and harder to keep up with this blog, hours if not days spent reading up on these kids only to watch them go, sad, just sad.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No chance
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Zero chance. I’m sure the staff has known this for a while.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Set the academic issues that are just now being mentioned, he was not going to be an impact player at URI.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

The two guys I have never been a fan of were Wood and DJ, but it isn’t a great sign to have this much turnover. Every week someone leaves for one reason or another.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I have no opinion on Wood but this explains why we’re still chasing guards.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

The kid didn’t decommit to go to another college...he did so to do a post grad high school year. This isn’t the same thing as other cases.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago The two guys I have never been a fan of were Wood and DJ, but it isn’t a great sign to have this much turnover. Every week someone leaves for one reason or another.
I don’t consider this like a player leaving. He was never here and was clearly the weakest of the incoming Fr Guards.
I look at this as a positive. Opens up a scholarship from a kid that wasn’t going to play the next two years.
3 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
RamStock wrote: 4 years ago The two guys I have never been a fan of were Wood and DJ, but it isn’t a great sign to have this much turnover. Every week someone leaves for one reason or another.
I don’t consider this like a player leaving. He was never here and was clearly the weakest of the incoming Fr Guards.
I look at this as a positive. Opens up a scholarship from a kid that wasn’t going to play the next two years.
This is true. Just a lot of turnover. Even Ousmane changing his mind. Just constant spots opening up. Not sure we will be able to fill them
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

That caption reads, " I this, I that, me, me, me."

Not shocked he's going to yet ANOTHER high school / prep school.

Would be shocked if he ends up in D1 after his post grad year, I would bet he ends up JUCO.
Last edited by Rhody15 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I noticed in that interview the other day that Cox initially said two incoming freshman then "corrected" himself and said three so I am not surprised in the least about this.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago I noticed in that interview the other day that Cox initially said two incoming freshman then "corrected" himself and said three so I am not surprised in the least about this.
Great catch. Again, the staff has known for a while.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Re: ‘20 MD Elijah Wood (URI ---> Prep Year)

Ok, 3 ships open it is, with the possibility of 4.

Pridgen and Nelson commits in the near future?
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Either would be a descent addition, both can play, but taking 2 more sit-out transfers would leave a very thin roster this year (so far only 7 players counting Fatts). Better hope for no injuries or losing anyone mid-year.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Reset the clock!

It has been 0 days since URI's last transfer/de-commit.
5 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago I noticed in that interview the other day that Cox initially said two incoming freshman then "corrected" himself and said three so I am not surprised in the least about this.
I noticed that as well and didn't think anything of it at the time.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Great catch. Again, the staff has known for a while.
So clearly they knew for a while, but just curious what were the expectations of Wood by the staff? Was he going to be a project or someone at the end of the bench or was he expected to compete for a stronger role?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think it was a long shot Wood was in the rotation next year anyway so probably a good move for him and hopefully we get a player in that can contribute immediately
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Goodbye, Frodo. We hardly knew ye.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This news was the least surprising thing that has happened in the last 6-8 weeks. I rarely have a comment on a recruit or a kid before they suit up but from Day 1 this kid had always been a giant red flag to me.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Turns out, Elijah was the red herring of this Epic adventure.

"Come to Rhode Island, you can play with a former 4 star player. Weeeeeeeee!"
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

STC wrote: 4 years ago Reset the clock!

It has been 0 days since URI's last transfer/de-commit.
It usually doesn’t go longer than 10 days without someone coming or leaving around here.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Best of luck to him
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I believe in honoring a scholarship towards a player who makes an early commitment. But, if the said player isn't going to be eligible academically, I would rather know as soon as we are able to know, so we can understand the plan going forward
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Not coming and leaving are not the same thing.
2 x
raminwarwick
Abdul Fox

Unread post by raminwarwick »

I wonder if they knew about the Woods academics problems when they got Berry to change his mind.
1 x
Jcsu1980
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by Jcsu1980 »

Elijah graduated from high school already and past the sat , this post is full of negative criticism that ran him out of town 🤔🏀
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

raminwarwick wrote: 4 years ago I wonder if they knew about the Woods academics problems when they got Berry to change his mind.
I’m sure he hasn’t just started having academic issues. There is someone on staff, I believe, that checks in and monitors that type of stuff.
1 x