‘20 MD Elijah Wood (Nebraska)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Elijah Wood

Unread post by RF1 »

We need height. No hobbits.
2 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

We really need a back-up/ successor for Cyril. Harris is more of a 4 as is Walker. We could
really use a 6-9/10 230 big who can play with his back to the basket, protect the rim and rebound.
I know Walker is supposed to be 6'9" but he seems to be shorter that Cyril in a few pictures I saw.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

We just offered a 6'10 2020 center yesterday. I'm sure there will be more of that
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

PG and C are the priorities for 20. We will get one of each.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

CHICO 78 wrote: 5 years ago We really need a back-up/ successor for Cyril. Harris is more of a 4 as is Walker. We could
really use a 6-9/10 230 big who can play with his back to the basket, protect the rim and rebound.
I know Walker is supposed to be 6'9" but he seems to be shorter that Cyril in a few pictures I saw.
No chance Walker is 6-9. Closer to 6-7. I also saw him up close near the other players
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

It would be nice to get a 2019 center with Maral Slot so he is ready to
slide in and perform as soon as Cyril graduates. If not we will have
to play Harris at the 5 for a year until the new Center gets up to speed.
No Projects please!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

So, chances are high that they get Wood this weekend and they’re also going to get a point guard and center in the ‘20 class?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago My story isn’t changing. Not impressed with the kid. I don’t get paid the big bucks though. Chances are high we will end up with this kid this weekend. However, because the times I’ve seen him on the circuit, I wasn’t impressed, but that doesn’t mean that automatically disqualify him as a 4* recruit. You guys care more about rankings than I do.
Weren't you talking up Mading when many didn't want him to be signed? Where is that recruit now? I question your judgement and will listen to the offer list first.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago My story isn’t changing. Not impressed with the kid. I don’t get paid the big bucks though. Chances are high we will end up with this kid this weekend. However, because the times I’ve seen him on the circuit, I wasn’t impressed, but that doesn’t mean that automatically disqualify him as a 4* recruit. You guys care more about rankings than I do.
Weren't you talking up Mading when many didn't want him to be signed? Where is that recruit now? I question your judgement and will listen to the offer list first.

Wtf does that have to do with anything? Idgaf whether or not you question my judgement, I promise I won’t lose any sleep.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ace wrote: 5 years ago So, chances are high that they get Wood this weekend and they’re also going to get a point guard and center in the ‘20 class?
Wood will be the ‘20 PG. He is a CG, very much like Jeff was in HS. Cox likes those rangy, taller guards.

Whether we land him this weekend is pure speculation. We offered him back in 2017, and maintained a relationship with the kid. I like that fact that he is coming in for the official visit and Cox having those DMV ties. I’ve just heard Wood doesn’t want to go into his senior year uncommitted. He wants to focus on playing.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago So, chances are high that they get Wood this weekend and they’re also going to get a point guard and center in the ‘20 class?
Wood is a PG.
I think Rhody’s top SG focus is Darius Miles.

Rhody has 2 open spots plus 2 Seniors.
So if they leave one of the current spots open (I don’t think Tertsea has left yet btw), they would have 3 scholarships available for 20-21 season.

I believe they will have 3 spots for ‘20s going into Oct. If they don’t fill them with top HS recruits, they will look to use one on a mid year transfer to fill a needed role (whichever is open between C and PG).

This would be the goal:
PG Wood
SG Miles
C - someone 6’8”+
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
Wood is a PG.

So if they leave one of the current spots open (I don’t think Tertsea has left yet btw), they would have 3 scholarships available for 20-21 season.

I believe they will have 3 spots for ‘20s going into Oct. If they don’t fill them with top HS recruits, they will look to use one on a mid year transfer to fill a needed role (whichever is open between C and PG).

This would be the goal:
PG Wood
SG Miles
C - someone 6’8”+
BINGO!!!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Wood is a PG.

This would be the goal:
PG Wood
SG Miles
C - someone 6’8”+
Curious what you mean by the Tertsea part? Hasn't left as in might still be on the team and receiving a scholarship? He isn't listed on the roster.

https://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/2019-20/roster
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Tertsea isn’t participating with the team.
I believe he is still taking classes and will graduate soon. I don’t think they can use his scholarship yet.
I could be wrong on this.
I think they will use Tertsea’s scholarship on a mid year transfer or a ‘20.
They can use Mading’s scholarship immediately for a player for the 19-20 season.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Wood is a PG.

This would be the goal:
PG Wood
SG Miles
C - someone 6’8”+
At minimum, they really need one of Harris or Walker to make a big jump this season. Unless they get lucky, it’s likely any ‘20 big they get will need some time to develop. That’s just the nature of recruiting bigs outside of the elites.
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

SandorClegane wrote: 5 years ago
rhodyruckus wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago Now that we’re back in the mix is he still overrated and overhyped? Asking for a friend.
No you misunderstood, we weren't saying overrated we were saying "Frodo rated".
Probably the best comeback I’ve ever heard..
Probably the longest delayed laughter I've ever had...I was pulling on my collar getting flop sweat on stage over here!
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

I have watched a ton of video of this kid in the last 24 hours (I know I need to get a life). Seems to be a good passer with good vision and defends the lanes very well. Seems to have a decent shot in the set but didn't see him create a ton of shots off the dribble. He doesn't really have the instinct to be a scorer, but plays under control for the most part. He also didn't play in the worlds best conference in the DMV, so it tough to judge his ball handling ability against competition that is not WCAC (Dematha, Paul VI, St Johns, Gonzaga, etc). I'm okay with him not be able to score and be more of true point guard with his ability to pass and defend. The risk is his ability to handle pressure in half sets and full court presses - just unknown with the level of competition he has played against. I'm not really sure who he is playing AAU ball with this summer, think it might be District WAWG but not certain.

Anyway, interesting kid who was getting calls from Kentucky at one point and has had a dozen or so P5 offers. Seems like he peaked as a freshman/sophomore and just hasn't improved since and is also probably getting penalized for the relatively weak league he plays in. Reference the link below and you can see the quality of his teammates (Wood is #3 in the dark shirts).

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Maybe TP can edit the first post with this info
Better late than never?
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Tertsea isn’t participating with the team.
I believe he is still taking classes and will graduate soon. I don’t think they can use his scholarship yet.
I could be wrong on this.
I think they will use Tertsea’s scholarship on a mid year transfer or a ‘20.
They can use Mading’s scholarship immediately for a player for the 19-20 season.
Interesting. Thanks.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: ‘20 MD Elijah Wood (Offer)

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Tertsea is gone
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Tertsea is gone
Where is he?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Don't know, but I know he's no longer at URI
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

wood’s IG is 301elijah
Last edited by DC_Rams 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Don't know, but I know he's no longer at URI
Did anyone see Tertsea referenced in any of the school’s graduation info? It would have been a tough task to do it in three years (not everyone is Eric!), but I’d hate to see him so close and not graduate. Some of his credits would transfer, but it would be an easier feat at URI. Ideally, they’d find him some scholarship money for him to finish it out if basketball is done for him, like what happened with Onyekaba. He quit basketball but still graduated. I don’t know the particulars of Tertsea’s leaving.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Heard he’s graduating in Dec. he’s still at URI
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Heard he’s graduating in Dec. he’s still at URI
You heard wrong
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Elijah Wood needs a new thread.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Heard he’s graduating in Dec. he’s still at URI
You heard wrong
RR2 are you saying he is no longer on campus and not enrolled to take classes?
I heard he is enrolled taking summer classes - which they can do online and as independent study.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Good to have a player visiting that has this level of interest. This IG post was from two months ago.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Bos8 wrote: 5 years ago Transferred to Sunrise Christian in Wichita, only to transfer back to BCC after a few months.
In the interview in video above it became clear that he wasn’t going to play much his Jr year at Sunrise Christian. Sunrise is one of the top teams in the country. He felt that Jr year is too important for recruiting to be sitting on the bench so he came back home.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

This is why recruiting threads are funny to me. When your school isn’t involved with a recruit or don’t get him, some fans say the offer/interest list is sketchy. When they are, it’s legit. Then, add in the firm declarations of involvement or lack of involvement that change on a dime. It’s why I love recruiting.

There’s so much information and misinformation out there. I get how it happens- there are sources on all sides, and the ones that matter are only going to strategically share information that they know will show up somewhere public. You trust your staff or you don’t and go from there.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Elijah is playing AAU for District WAWG on the Under Armor circuit this year.
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

I think this sums up where his recruiting is at this point, Alabama has also recently been in to see him. He was reportedly going to visit Ole Miss a couple of weeks ago but I'm not sure if that happened or not.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago This is why recruiting threads are funny to me. When your school isn’t involved with a recruit or don’t get him, some fans say the offer/interest list is sketchy. When they are, it’s legit. Then, add in the firm declarations of involvement or lack of involvement that change on a dime. It’s why I love recruiting.

There’s so much information and misinformation out there. I get how it happens- there are sources on all sides, and the ones that matter are only going to strategically share information that they know will show up somewhere public. You trust your staff or you don’t and go from there.
When schools make 45+ offers per high school class an offer doesn’t really show the level of interest. I believe schools are still limited to 16 official visits per class for the recruits Jr AND Sr year. So the recruits can make one official visit each year. I am not sure when the calendar turns from Jr to Sr year for a recruit. I think the schools value Sr year official visits. If a recruit has a Sr year official visit, the school is very interested.

The last two years Rhody has gone for an early commitment (Long in June and Dana in Aug/early Sept without an OV). This would be the earliest but maybe Cox is going for the early commitment this weekend for his PG. Then they can put all their energy into Darius Miles and a Big.
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Elijah is playing AAU for District WAWG on the Under Armor circuit this year.
Noel Brown, who we've offered, also plays for District WAWG.
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Bos8 wrote: 5 years ago Transferred to Sunrise Christian in Wichita, only to transfer back to BCC after a few months.
In the interview in video above it became clear that he wasn’t going to play much his Jr year at Sunrise Christian. Sunrise is one of the top teams in the country. He felt that Jr year is too important for recruiting to be sitting on the bench so he came back home.
The irony is he had a very lackluster Junior year at BCC, at least stat wise. Averaged 11 pts, 5 Rebounds, 4 assists a game. Stats below. As I said earlier I'm familiar with this league (live in the area) and this is not a strong conference. One would expect that someone with his rankings would dominate league play and even run at a double/double avg/game given the competition he played against. Can understand DC and Slim's concerns here, but obviously the experts are seeing something else.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/allmetsp ... d0de8f2cc7
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Elijah is playing AAU for District WAWG on the Under Armor circuit this year.
I'm not aware that he has actually suited up yet? Haven't seem him a box score
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Is he here?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years agoIs he here?
Yes.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

nm
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Elijah just reposted Scott Brand’s post about him coming to URI in his IG Story.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Don't know, but I know he's no longer at URI
A few days ago, he was posting videos from Lake Erie. Not sure if he was visiting a school there.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

What are the chances we get a verbal this weekend?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago What are the chances we get a verbal this weekend?
I like them, but who knows at this point
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Follow his IG story if you want to see how his visit a going
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

nm
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
Slim wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Over. Rated. Period.

Wait and see.

Correct. Truly overhyped. Struggling against D3 type talent. Avg maybe 7pts, and living off of early hype because he was 6”6 freshman. Imo not D1 player unless he improves. Played the other night & went scoreless against weak competition and D3 kid gave him 30. Social media can make you or break you. Lol
This was from only 3 months ago
Has he done anything special since then to change your opinions?

Not me...
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Follow his IG story if you want to see how his visit a going
What’s his IG name?
0 x
GO RAMS