‘20 MD Elijah Wood (Nebraska)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: ‘20 MD Elijah Wood (Rhode Island Commit)

Unread post by ramster »

CHARLESTON, S.C. — Julius Reynolds scored 12 points and Malik Ewin and J.J. DeLoach each added 11 points as Berkmar downed Cape Fear Academy of North Carolina to win the championship of the Charleston Roundball Classic tournament Saturday in Charleston.
Ewin was named the tournament’s Most Valuable Player, while Duke Clayton was also named to the All-Tournament team as the Patriots evened their record at 8-8 after a slow start to the season.

https://www.gwinnettprepsports.com/spor ... 4c595.html
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Result from Tuesday Night Game:

Berkmar 57, Brookwood 51
LILBURN – Berkmar outlasted Brookwood 57-51 in Region 7-AAAAAAA on Tuesday.
Elijah Wood paced the Patriots (9-8, 6-1) with 13 points. Jalen DeLoach scored 12, while Dara Olonade and Malique Ewin each contributed 10.

https://www.gwinnettprepsports.com/spor ... c6192.html
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Friday night Berkmar went out to a 28-11 lead on a Wood 3P but lost the game 54-52

Game matched up Wood vs Quincy Ademokoya who were originally planning to play together at Lincoln Academy until the school closed down. Bryce Mcgowins was also planning to play for Lincoln.

Wood went (1-4) on 3Ps, (1-2) FG for 5 points in 21 minutes.

https://www.gwinnettprepsports.com/spor ... bcd77.html
0 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

One of the worst non calls on a clear goaltending that would have tied game at 54 that I’ve ever seen. I met EW and will see him again today and want to see him twice before I report.
1 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

Saw 2 games against very good Norcross and mediocre Cambridge. First of all, seems like good kid, laid back, “yes sir, no sir”, good handshake(I’m old school about handshake). Definitely 6-5, needs to fill out, reminds me of Jeff D. Wing, but made a few full court drives in both games. Smooth, good passer and has nice stroke. Scored 9 of their 57 tonight but did not play at all in 4Q as he did not box out a few times and missed his last two 3s.
Too unselfish, I wanted to see more aggression. He will not step in next year but if he works and bulks a little could be a poor man’s Jeff.
He guarded the best guards both game very well and both days as soon as he came out they scored a couple each.
I just saw him play those 2 games, did not look at any videos. Bottom line, he can play for us but I doubt he walks in and takes over. Please prove me wrong!
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Hopefully he won't pull a Hammond if he doesn't get much PT as a Frosh, if he could get 5-6 minutes/per though for developmental reasons it would be good. The key to that is defense, if he can play solid D from the start he will probably get some minutes as a freshman to develop. Also we will still be relying heavily on only a few guards and I bet dollars to dimes he will be a better ball handler and passer than Martin, I'm not down on Martin at all, I just see him more as a wing with a decent handle than a guard with bad passing abilities next season.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Love it
2 x
Common sense is not common.
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago Hopefully he won't pull a Hammond if he doesn't get much PT as a Frosh, if he could get 5-6 minutes/per though for developmental reasons it would be good. The key to that is defense, if he can play solid D from the start he will probably get some minutes as a freshman to develop. Also we will still be relying heavily on only a few guards and I bet dollars to dimes he will be a better ball handler and passer than Martin, I'm not down on Martin at all, I just see him more as a wing with a decent handle than a guard with bad passing abilities next season.
I haven’t seen him play but, from his numbers, I think he will have to be a defensive star to get minutes next year. If all goes well, we’ll have Fatts, Shepard and Leggett (who seems to be further along than Wood) at the G position. Then we have Martin, Long and Toppin at the wing. Might depend on who else we bring in with the remaining schollies.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From Gwinnett Daily Post Saturday Result

BOYS BASKETBALL
Berkmar 59, Cambridge 57
MILTON — One day after falling to Norcross by two points, Berkmar reversed the trend and defeated host Cambridge 59-57 on Saturday.
Cam Blount scored 15points , Malique Ewin added 14, while Dara Olanade chipped in with 11 for the Patriots (10-9).
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Tuesday night

Wood did not play in last nights game. On the bench but not in uniform.

Berkmar 70, Central Gwinnett 46
LAWRENCEVILLE – Berkmar defeated host Central Gwinnett 70-46 on Tuesday in a Region 7-AAAAAAA contest. Malique Ewin led the Patriots (11-9, 7-2) with 17 points.
Dara Olonade scored 15 while Jemahri Hill and Cam Blount each added 10 points in the win.

https://www.gwinnettprepsports.com/spor ... d69b2.html

4 games remaining then Regional and State Tournament beginning 1st week of February.
Playing a game - Opponent and Time TBA - this Monday in Pittsburgh MLK Weekend
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Tuesday night

LAWRENCEVILLE – Berkmar defeated host Central Gwinnett 70-46 on Tuesday in a Region 7-AAAAAAA contest. Malique Ewin led the Patriots (11-9, 7-2) with 17 points.
Dara Olonade scored 15 while Jemahri Hill and Cam Blount each added 10 points in the win.

4 games remaining then Regional and State Tournament beginning 1st week of February.
That does not read well - is he hurt?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bkoeppen wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago Tuesday night

That does not read well - is he hurt?
He sat out the 4th Q of his last game vs Cambridge. Probably an injury but I’m not sure. I wouldn’t be concerned.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Elijah is injured. That is why he didn’t play.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Wood just tweaked his ankle. Nothing serious.
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Wood just tweaked his ankle. Nothing serious.
good to hear!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bishop Walsh (Cumberland, MD) plays Berkmar (Lilburn, GA) on Monday in Pittsburgh today January 20 @ 5pm
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Will Wood play?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I would think so. He is walking well.
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Friday Night Season Ending Game
Next Up Regional Tournament. Top 2 Regional Finishers move on to the State Tournament

Berkmar 84, Lakeside-DeKalb 41
LILBURN – Berkmar defeated visiting Lakeside-DeKalb 84-41 in Region 7-AAAAAAA on Friday. Jalen DeLoach led the Patriots (13-9, 10-2) with 16 points. Elijah Wood and Dara Olonade each scored 12 as Berkmar finished in second place in the region's regular season standings.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Friday Night Season Ending Game
Next Up Regional Tournament. Top 2 Regional Finishers move on to the State Tournament

Berkmar 84, Lakeside-DeKalb 41
LILBURN – Berkmar defeated visiting Lakeside-DeKalb 84-41 in Region 7-AAAAAAA on Friday. Jalen DeLoach led the Patriots (13-9, 10-2) with 16 points. Elijah Wood and Dara Olonade each scored 12 as Berkmar finished in second place in the region's regular season standings.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Elijah’s team wins the championship
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Berkmar wins the Regional Championship in an upset victory winning (62-58)
Next Berkmar goes in as 1 of 8 #1-seeds in the 32 Team State 7A Tournament

Wood Stats
Played 18 minutes
1-7 FG
1-4 on 3P's
2-2 FT
5 points
1 assist
1 turnover
0 rebounds
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Wood plays Tonight in 1st round action of the 32 Team 7A State Tournament
5C82528A-AFCF-4A0E-9883-E84785CB8FAE.png
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Looks like Berkmar won tonight. Anyone know how Elijah did?
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1-seed Berkmar beat the 4-seed West Forsyth 62-29. Berkmar led by only 20-14 at halftime in a low scoring first half
Jalen Deloach led Berkmar with 12 points, Malique Ewin 11, Jermahri Hill 11.

Berkmar next plays Colquitt County / Kennesaw Mountain winner (Friday night) in the 2nd round of the 32 team Tournament tbd middle of next week.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Not sure I’ve ever had less certainty in how I think a recruit will do than with Wood. I don’t mean that in a bad way, it just seems like he could really struggle or play major minutes by mid-season, and neither would surprise me. He’s had a bit of a tumultuous high school career with moving around. Maybe just being in the same spot, with the same staff and approach alone will help.
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ace wrote: 4 years ago Not sure I’ve ever had less certainty in how I think a recruit will do than with Wood. I don’t mean that in a bad way, it just seems like he could really struggle or play major minutes by mid-season, and neither would surprise me. He’s had a bit of a tumultuous high school career with moving around. Maybe just being in the same spot, with the same staff and approach alone will help.
I think the sky-high rating at one point will make people think "potential superstar," but solely judging his box scores he seems more like a "fill the stat sheet" kind of guy. Which to be clear, I'd be very happy with! But, I think some are going to be disappointed, because of the initial buzz on him.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Berkmar will play 3-seed Kennesaw Mountain in Round 2 as Kennesaw Mountain upset 2-seed Colquitt County in Round 1.
Wednesday 7pm at Berkmar

Fun Fact about Kennesaw Mountain was their long time Coach, Jesse Bonner, retired from Kennesaw Mountain and the floor was recently named after him - Bonner Coached URI Great Antonio Reynolds-Dean at Douglass High School and was the HC when URI Recruited ARD. One of the best recruiting steals ever for URI.

https://www.mdjonline.com/sports/kennes ... 3d055.html
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don’t think Wood will be a rotational player as a frosh
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I agree with Ace, no clue what to expect from Wood.
One of the more puzzling recruits in recent memory. I will trust the “live assessment” by staff bc nothing on paper sounds immediately appealing.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago
ace wrote: 4 years ago Not sure I’ve ever had less certainty in how I think a recruit will do than with Wood. I don’t mean that in a bad way, it just seems like he could really struggle or play major minutes by mid-season, and neither would surprise me. He’s had a bit of a tumultuous high school career with moving around. Maybe just being in the same spot, with the same staff and approach alone will help.
I think the sky-high rating at one point will make people think "potential superstar," but solely judging his box scores he seems more like a "fill the stat sheet" kind of guy. Which to be clear, I'd be very happy with! But, I think some are going to be disappointed, because of the initial buzz on him.
It makes me leery of the potential abuse he may take from certain unreasonable people when it comes to placing their own expectations on our players. I really hope it all works out for the best, Wood has a basketball player's frame and athleticism, he's got good potential to make a positive impact on a program by say mid sophomore season and that is the model a mid-major program has to take for sustained success.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I agree with Ace, no clue what to expect from Wood.
One of the more puzzling recruits in recent memory. I will trust the “live assessment” by staff bc nothing on paper sounds immediately appealing.
Agreed. The good news is that he's coming in with another player who will probably have the expectations placed on him. Ish will take a lions share of the expectations, but he also won't be pressed into a starting role right away. Elijah will have time to adjust.

With Fatts/Sheppard starting, we already know Cox doesn't have a problem moving Rese or Toppin into a "guard" spot. Assuming that you slide Walker in at the 5, and then with Long/Toppin as your 6/7 - Wood is probably your 2nd (maybe even 3rd) guard off the bench depending on what Berry does.

He'll be able to adjust his game to the college level at a more reasonable pace, and build up to more minutes his sophomore year when Sheppard/Fatts are gone and we'll need major backcourt minutes to step up.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I agree with Ace, no clue what to expect from Wood.
Agreed. The good news is that he's coming in with another player who will probably have the expectations placed on him. Ish will take a lions share of the expectations, but he also won't be pressed into a starting role right away. Elijah will have time to adjust.

With Fatts/Sheppard starting, we already know Cox doesn't have a problem moving Rese or Toppin into a "guard" spot. Assuming that you slide Walker in at the 5, and then with Long/Toppin as your 6/7 - Wood is probably your 2nd (maybe even 3rd) guard off the bench depending on what Berry does.

He'll be able to adjust his game to the college level at a more reasonable pace, and build up to more minutes his sophomore year when Sheppard/Fatts are gone and we'll need major backcourt minutes to step up.
This x1,000,000

The staff recruited to put Wood in a place to grow into his potential instead of forcing it. Cox played chess while I played checkers and I'm an idiot.
1 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Wood = high ceiling
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bkoeppen wrote: 4 years ago Wood = high ceiling
What are you basing this on? What do you think the best parts of his game are and or could be?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
What are you basing this on? What do you think the best parts of his game are and or could be?
Size and athleticism?
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
based on the dozen or so games or parts of games I have watched of him:

- I think he's extremely athletic, with above average length for a guard
- strong defender
- his passing and court vision are above average
- shooting is a bit inconsistent, but has a nice looking shoot which could definitely be developed

I truly believe his upside is being like Bones Hyland - similar frame and athleticism. Once he puts some weight on, I think he could really excel in Cox's guard oriented scheme we have going on at Rhody.
2 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Court vision. Seems patient and unselfish, similar but not exactly like Jeff D.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Big game for Wood as Berkmar @ Wheeler Wednesday 7pm

Elite 8 Game as field has narrowed from 32 in the top 7A Bracket

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Berkmar lost to Wheeler 53-43
Wheeler moves on to Final 4 Saturday in Class 7A

Season over for Berkmar and Wood.

https://www.gwinnettprepsports.com/spor ... ba3da.html
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This was the best player on Wood’s Berkmar Team.

DeLoach made 2nd team all county. Will go a post grad year

0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Ok so here's my opinion on Wood after watching more video:
Positives:
- Good, smooth 3pt shot
- Good passing vision
- Good free throw shooter

Needs work:
- Decision making on when to drive to the paint
- Defense against competition like McEachern wasn't great
- Loose handle on the ball (good hands, but can get a bit loose with ball control when dribbling)

Glad he's coming to Rhody. Could use a nice outside shooter with decent free throw percentage and passing vision. Definitely fills a need.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

This is a player that would flourish in a pressing, uptempo offense.
Great length so he will be tough defensively.
2 x
nchof
Abdul Fox

Unread post by nchof »

Does anyone have his final stats for this past season?
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

The Dude wrote: 4 years ago Ok so here's my opinion on Wood after watching more video:
Positives:
- Good, smooth 3pt shot
- Good passing vision
- Good free throw shooter

Needs work:
- Decision making on when to drive to the paint
- Defense against competition like McEachern wasn't great
- Loose handle on the ball (good hands, but can get a bit loose with ball control when dribbling)

Glad he's coming to Rhody. Could use a nice outside shooter with decent free throw percentage and passing vision. Definitely fills a need.
I know you pointed nice smooth 3 pt shoot, but this definitely is a weakness for him. He is not a good shooter. Maybe he can improve on this area at some point in his career.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I have never seen Elijah play. I was and am very happy he wants to be a Ram. Unfortunately there has been some negative feedback on him by some on this board. First of all, I am always thrilled with a player/student that wants to be a Ram and Elijah fits that mold. I would guess many of these negative opinions are from people that have never seen him play, do not know him or spoken a word to him, but again rather read an opinion of someone here on this board,which is crazy to say the least, but thats what happens in this world of keyboard warriors.

Again I may overrate David Cox opinion and his staff but they are high on him. While it evaluation is difficult for the best, I will side with Cox and professionals over an everyday fan. So I am happy to have Elijah here and have not forgotten about him with all the recent movement on our roster.

Many times the guy overlooked and undervalued by looking at ratings and stats that people do not like are the guys that become stars. See Jeff Dowtin.
5 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago I have never seen Elijah play. I was and am very happy he wants to be a Ram. Unfortunately there has been some negative feedback on him by some on this board. First of all, I am always thrilled with a player/student that wants to be a Ram and Elijah fits that mold. I would guess many of these negative opinions are from people that have never seen him play, do not know him or spoken a word to him, but again rather read an opinion of someone here on this board,which is crazy to say the least, but thats what happens in this world of keyboard warriors.

Again I may overrate David Cox opinion and his staff but they are high on him. While it evaluation is difficult for the best, I will side with Cox and professionals over an everyday fan. So I am happy to have Elijah here and have not forgotten about him with all the recent movement on our roster.

Many times the guy overlooked and undervalued by looking at ratings and stats that people do not like are the guys that become stars. See Jeff Dowtin.
1) I have seen him play live double digit times
2) Not sure why it should be termed "unfortunate that there has been some negative feedback". Sounds like you want a board where feedback is sterile and only positives are allowed.
3) What do you mean by you "will side with Cox and Professionals?" Who do you consider professionals? Some of the people who to these twitter posts, instagram posts, etc are kids in their low 20's and below.

I will be removing anything negative I said and if anyone wants to know of my observations they can pm me. But a word of warning, I am not a professional.
1 x