'18 MA PF Chris Doherty (Northeastern Transfer)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: '18 MA PF Chris Doherty (Notre Dame verbal)

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Would be a couple of Tertsea's or Layssard's.

Pass.
I agree with DC that they aren’t a Rhody focus. To say a couple of Tertsea’s or Layssard’s is way off.
Makhi was a 4 star recruit ranked #69. He was the best player on the DC Premier AAU team that won the Adidas Championship.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Only one of them is good but they are going anywhere as a package deal. They also have excessive baggage. It’s best we steer clear.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago Waste of time even talking about the Maryland transfers. We aren’t even a thought in their head whether that is good or bad. I’m not sure why every time someone transfers we talk about them coming to URI with no connection or mention of it. Doherty obviously has a connection and interest. Don’t really want any of them, but this is a possibility with Doherty.
1. We like to dream. 2. It’s not a total waste of time when they are from DC, I assume Cox knows them.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago
RamStock wrote: 4 years ago Waste of time even talking about the Maryland transfers. We aren’t even a thought in their head whether that is good or bad. I’m not sure why every time someone transfers we talk about them coming to URI with no connection or mention of it. Doherty obviously has a connection and interest. Don’t really want any of them, but this is a possibility with Doherty.
1. We like to dream. 2. It’s not a total waste of time when they are from DC, I assume Cox knows them.
Exactly!!!!
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Only one of them is good but they are going anywhere as a package deal. They also have excessive baggage. It’s best we steer clear.
How many schools, other than Georgetown, have two scholarships available right now?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

I am not agreeing with RamStock to not talk about the Mitchell twins, and I get it might be quiet for the next 2-3 weeks for Chris to possilby make a decision/enroll

But could we move the Mitchell talk to the general recruiting thread and stop talking about them here in the Doherty thread.

I want the kid, I believe he'll help. Others that don't agree I'm totally cool with and respect ur opinion, but lets stop talking about the Mitchell twins in this kids thread
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
McRam wrote: 4 years ago I wonder if Cox knows these twins and/or has a relationship with them- ??

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... er-portal/
Wrong thread. It’s discussed under General Recruiting thread.
Note that it was already brought up as being in the wrong thread way back when it first started. Just go to the General thread - - - if the Mitchell Twins need to go to any KB recruiting thread at all.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

The Doherty recruitment makes a lot more sense now. He seems to have a similar frame, skill set to Tate.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Or like CL. Somewhere in that realm.

I'm curious to see how he would do here, if he does commit to URI. Like Walker, who was basically going to rot at the end of the Georgetown bench for a couple of years before given a shot, Doherty was having a similar experience at Notre Dame.

I don't think you can replace the sheer rebounding efficiency that CL give you, but on the plus side, Doherty seems to be able to find the basket with more efficiency, down low in a crowd, so there could be a trade off.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'm now on board with getting Doherty, since we will have 2 other openings.

He's probably not going to be as good as Walker or Toppin, but he's another body who could at least play a little.

We could use him now.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Or like CL. Somewhere in that realm.

I'm curious to see how he would do here, if he does commit to URI. Like Walker, who was basically going to rot at the end of the Georgetown bench for a couple of years before given a shot, Doherty was having a similar experience at Notre Dame.

I don't think you can replace the sheer rebounding efficiency that CL give you, but on the plus side, Doherty seems to be able to find the basket with more efficiency, down low in a crowd, so there could be a trade off.
I would disagree with Walker rotting on bench at Georgetown. From what I was told by a couple of Georgetown people I know, though he didn't play a lot as a frosh, they had high hopes for him to be a good player. It was thought he could contribute even in his soph year. His problems were not on the court and lack of playing time that led to his transfer.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Or like CL. Somewhere in that realm.

I would disagree with Walker rotting on bench at Georgetown. From what I was told by a couple of Georgetown people I know, though he didn't play a lot as a frosh, they had high hopes for him to be a good player. It was thought he could contribute even in his soph year. His problems were not on the court and lack of playing time that led to his transfer.
Same. Georgetown fans respected Walker and many were sad to hear he was leaving. I got no indication that fans thought he was going to rot on the bench, quite the contrary.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Walker will be a starter next season.

Big difference maker.

Really helps considering Cyril is graduating.

Still need more frontcourt help though. We are going to need more depth no matter what.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Northeastern
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Hm OK. If I were Northeastern and I was going to add a mid-year transfer I’d have preferred Dana but that’s me.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Re: '18 MA PF Chris Doherty (Northeastern Transfer)

Unread post by Ramulous »

I think that’s a good spot for Doherty
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Boston kid stays very close to home
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Hm OK. If I were Northeastern and I was going to add a mid-year transfer I’d have preferred Dana but that’s me.
I don’t think they can risk not getting either. I’m sure if Tate wanted to go to Northeastern they would find room for him also. I prefer Tate over Doherty for sure
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Doherty and Tate teammates could put Northeastern on a roll.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Does no Doherty put us in play for the Mitchell twins?
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago Does no Doherty put us in play for the Mitchell twins?
No.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The kid wants a good degree I guess.
0 x
GO RAMS
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Disappointed - Am I missing something, but our bigs for next year are Harris, Walker and?????

I guess we will see who we ultimately get, but the big man pickings are pretty slim this time of year.

At the least, Doherty would have given us a respectable Richmond or Davidson type of center.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago The kid wants a good degree I guess.
I mean...Northeastern is OK. It’s not Stanford. Or Notre Dame.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

One thing we can give a front line player is playing time right away. Thats for sure.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Roz wrote: 4 years ago One thing we can give a front line player is playing time right away. Thats for sure.
A center for sure. I like both Harris and Walker much better than Doherty. Hopefully we can get someone in 6-10 or taller range that can rebound, play defense and make the most of the offensive opportunities they get.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

McRam wrote: 4 years ago Disappointed - Am I missing something, but our bigs for next year are Harris, Walker and?????

I guess we will see who we ultimately get, but the big man pickings are pretty slim this time of year.

At the least, Doherty would have given us a respectable Richmond or Davidson type of center.
And our big men when we went to the tourney were? 6’6” Hassan Martin and Cyril. Don’t overate the need, Walker and Harris is a good combo. Need a third guy who can come in and rebound and play D.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Are we forgetting contributions from Toppin?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Toppin is easily 6’8” and could still be growing. He will get stronger physically.
He had an NBA level blocked shot in the Richmond game - just an amazing play.
Toppin defends well, rebounds well, blocks shots. Between Harris, Walker and Toppin we have much to look forward to next season and this one as well.
Guard play is an opportunity particularly in shooting proficiency.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

When one of our guards plays well, we have a shot to win games.

When both do, even better.

When both stink out the joint, we can and do lose to the Browns of the world.

Too many stinkeroos so far this season, and more to come with maddening inconsistency.

Agree ramster, those 3 along with Martin [when he can play the wing exclusively starting next year] and we have a solid core for the future.

With 3 more guards coming in, hopefully we won't have to sink or swim with Fatts as much.

When he stinks, he'll sit more often.

When he's on, you know almost from the get go in games...when he's missing early, it's not going to be a good night, this year at least.
0 x