'18 MA PF Chris Doherty (Northeastern Transfer)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Re: '18 MA PF Chris Doherty (Notre Dame verbal)

Unread post by McRam »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Doherty would be a welcome addition. College body, not wet behind the ears, he’s physical, has post moves and has a nice mid range game. I’m sure he would happily come join the Carroll’s here. There is some comfort there, not to mention, we are better than the competing schools in the area.
Hope we really try to close Doherty. Rhode would give him a very good chance to start next year with an experienced team. There are not a lot of places that can offer that realistically.

Wasn’t DH close to this kid ?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

McRam wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Doherty would be a welcome addition. College body, not wet behind the ears, he’s physical, has post moves and has a nice mid range game. I’m sure he would happily come join the Carroll’s here. There is some comfort there, not to mention, we are better than the competing schools in the area.
Hope we really try to close Doherty. Rhode would give him a very good chance to start next year with an experienced team. There are not a lot of places that can offer that realistically.

Why would he have “a very good chance to start next year”? I don’t think he would start over Harris or Walker. He struggled to get on the court with ND and I believe URI is a better team this year than ND.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago

Why would he have “a very good chance to start next year”? I don’t think he would start over Harris or Walker. He struggled to get on the court with ND and I believe URI is a better team this year than ND.
I agree. He wasn’t highly rated and couldn’t crack the rotation on a very mediocre Notre Dame team the last two years. I think this is a case of a player transferring from a highly visible school and assuming it is a big get.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

FWIW, pretty much all of the big men transfers from higher conferences we've gotten in the past 25 years - Walker (small sample size obviously), Biruta, Hazelton, Luther Clay - have at least been serviceable. You'd probably have to go back to Ben Eaves to hit one that was disappointing. Given his size and pedigree heading into his college career, Doherty seems way more promising than the type of big man we've been recruiting. Cyril and Hassan Martin were/are obviously awesome, but there have been plenty of 'misses' too.
1 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago FWIW, pretty much all of the big men transfers from higher conferences we've gotten in the past 25 years - Walker (small sample size obviously), Biruta, Hazelton, Luther Clay - have at least been serviceable. You'd probably have to go back to Ben Eaves to hit one that was disappointing. Given his size and pedigree heading into his college career, Doherty seems way more promising than the type of big man we've been recruiting. Cyril and Hassan Martin were/are obviously awesome, but there have been plenty of 'misses' too.
Earl Watson
0 x
Common sense is not common.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago FWIW, pretty much all of the big men transfers from higher conferences we've gotten in the past 25 years - Walker (small sample size obviously), Biruta, Hazelton, Luther Clay - have at least been serviceable. You'd probably have to go back to Ben Eaves to hit one that was disappointing. Given his size and pedigree heading into his college career, Doherty seems way more promising than the type of big man we've been recruiting. Cyril and Hassan Martin were/are obviously awesome, but there have been plenty of 'misses' too.
This is a good and fair point in terms of past history. Hazelton, Iverson and Clay were in the McDonald’s All American discussion and were on a much higher level than Doherty, but there is something to be said about an older player compared to developing a true freshman who in many cases will be a bust or take a long time to develop. I just don’t see the all around excitement with this kid as every situation stands on its own. He has obviously not done much of anything to move the needle in practice over the last two years for a very average at best unit at Notre Dame. I guess we will see what happens.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Sometimes people get buried at the end of the bench.

If a couple of things went differently this season, we could have no idea that Toppin and Long could not only contribute but thrive this early at this level.

I'll leave it up to the coaching staff, but I see no reason why this player couldn't be as useful as many of the other good/decent frontcourt players who we face in A-10 competition. Toppin and Long are great, but they aren't bangers and don't have bangers bodies.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

My concerns would be:

1. Notre Dame is arguably the worst team in the ACC, Doherty was currently the last big man off the bench and Mike Brey is not trying to keep him from leaving. Notre Dame Current RPI of 180, NET of 106. URI RPI 48, NET 81.
0B1E364E-7813-42F7-A6FC-BA17DE1393AD.png
2. He was not heavily recruited originally
  • A native of Marlborough, Mass., Doherty committed to Notre Dame over Boston College, Central Connecticut State, Florida Gulf Coast and Manhattan.
3. I don’t see Doherty as being better than Harris or Walker. I’d prefer an incoming transfer to be at least as good as our current starters, and hopefully better.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 4 years ago
Earl Watson

You saying Earl Watson was a miss?

Thought he was good for JC.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

The coaches can obviously assess him and see where is at. I believe this player could likely give us solid minutes, but he should probably not be THE big we recruit this cycle. However, this player plus Richards would be solid tandem, with Doherty providing a solid "won't hurt you" 15 min per game next year while Richards gets acclimated to the college game.

I am not an expert in NCAA transfer rules, but it seems excessive to both lose a year of eligibility over 20 min of game time on 2019-20 AND have to sit out a year for transferring. That is not looking out for the student. Seems more reasonable for him to sit out until second semester next year and have 2.5 years of eligibility remaining. Maybe ND and Brey can help Doherty out with the NCAA.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good points. I’d prefer Cox and his Staff aim higher to fill remaining open positions, better candidates could emerge.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I have a practical question; for someone in Doherty's position would he be having to make his school choice on a very short fuse. After all, unless he takes the semester off, would he not have to be registered for the spring semester? What would the drop dead date be for Rhody?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

McRam wrote: 4 years ago I have a practical question; for someone in Doherty's position would he be having to make his school choice on a very short fuse. After all, unless he takes the semester off, would he not have to be registered for the spring semester? What would the drop dead date be for Rhody?
Jan 22nd.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Fair enough,from what we know, Harris and Walker might be the starters, but, I think it would be very fair to say that he would get significant minutes or at the least get a real opportunity to earn minutes. At least, more of an opportunity than at most of the comparable programs.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

You were good until the last comment. We have no idea what his opportunity would be at most comparable programs. They could be losing all of their starting front court players.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would be happy if we get him

This kid could have a chip in his shoulders and be very hungry

Could be a backup big next year
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I agree with reef.

Tis the season to not be looking gift power forwards in the mouth.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

So far, I like the lack of other schools being mentioned.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

imo I think we can do a lot better.

Really no rush at this point.

Get a 4 year big, and a 5th year post grad.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago imo I think we can do a lot better.

Really no rush at this point.

Get a 4 year big, and a 5th year post grad.

At face value it's hard to tell how much of an impact he would have.

The fact that he was at Notre Dame alone is encouraging, despite that he hasn't done much for them yet. They've had a ton of great teams under Brey so you gotta trust his talent evaluation skills on some level.

Otherwise, hey, we got a chance to make the tournament this year. If we do, we are automatically a more attractive destination.

I say wait to see how far we go this year. There's always tons of transfers at the end of the year.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I think he'd be hard to pass up. He wants to move closer to home , URI originally recruited him, he has a relationship with Carroll and URI has an open scholarship. Much like the Walker situation. Wait til the end of the year and it becomes much more competitive because everyone has scholarships available.
4 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago I think he'd be hard to pass up. He wants to move closer to home , URI originally recruited him, he has a relationship with Carroll and URI has an open scholarship. Much like the Walker situation. Wait til the end of the year and it becomes much more competitive because everyone has scholarships available.
Is he considering other opportunities? Or is URI still deciding whether it wants him?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago I think he'd be hard to pass up. He wants to move closer to home , URI originally recruited him, he has a relationship with Carroll and URI has an open scholarship. Much like the Walker situation. Wait til the end of the year and it becomes much more competitive because everyone has scholarships available.
I don’t think he waits until the end of the year for URI. He would be risking losing a half year of eligibility (if he gets a waiver). When you only have 1 1/2 - 2 years of eligibility left you want to enroll in Jan with the hope of being eligible to start next season.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Servicable PF and C whether they are freshman, Grad transfers, JUCO, or even regular transfer do not lineup regularly for the A10 and Rhody. You have to cash in on the chances you get and this is one of them. You may not be relying on him as the best big man. Really good PF and C want to transfer up in conference to get closer to the goal of playing pro unless they want to transfer home. I disagree with the sentiment that we can do so much better. The players that we could do so much better with will have the power 5 programs heavily involved when it comes time to transfer. If you pass on Doherty and miss to a power 5 program on the other transfers now what do you do? Your stuck with no other options. Talent level of the ACC is a completely different ball game than the A10 so it is not about what he did previously at ND (even with a ND program that is sliding a little bit) but can you further develop him enough to contribute in a bench type role in A10 going forward. IMO that is a YESSSS.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

From old video in this thread looks like he can handle the ball in high post has some low post skill can grab a few boards and play a bit of D

Looks like a decent fit for what Cox is trying to do.

Appears a solid get.

Anyone have additional video please linky!

0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Servicable PF and C whether they are freshman, Grad transfers, JUCO, or even regular transfer do not lineup regularly for the A10 and Rhody. You have to cash in on the chances you get and this is one of them. You may not be relying on him as the best big man. Really good PF and C want to transfer up in conference to get closer to the goal of playing pro unless they want to transfer home. I disagree with the sentiment that we can do so much better. The pass on Doherty and miss to a power 5 program on the other transfers now what do you do? Your stuck with no other options. Talent level of the ACC is a completely different ball game than the A10 so it is not about what he did previously at ND (even with a ND program that is sliding a little bit) but can you further develop him enough to contribute in a bench type role in A10 going forward. IMO that is a YESSSS.
I think URI should take him.
Your argument that the players that we could do so much better with will have the power 5 programs heavily involved when it comes time to transfer can be questioned. Walker and Iverson have transferred from the BE (P6) and the American (higher rated conference than the A10). Berry was also a JUCO transfer who started on an NCAA Tournament team.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Interest info here. Doherty left ND to go home the Summer of his Freshmen year because his grandfather was sick. He returned in mid/late August. This was last year. In this interview he said his grandfather’s health was better.

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Irv Chatman is probably the best big man we ever got as a transfer out of University of Tennessee. He was a key part of some of the best teams we've had. But that was when I was in school and before electricity was discovered.
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Servicable PF and C whether they are freshman, Grad transfers, JUCO, or even regular transfer do not lineup regularly for the A10 and Rhody. You have to cash in on the chances you get and this is one of them. You may not be relying on him as the best big man. Really good PF and C want to transfer up in conference to get closer to the goal of playing pro unless they want to transfer home. I disagree with the sentiment that we can do so much better. The pass on Doherty and miss to a power 5 program on the other transfers now what do you do? Your stuck with no other options. Talent level of the ACC is a completely different ball game than the A10 so it is not about what he did previously at ND (even with a ND program that is sliding a little bit) but can you further develop him enough to contribute in a bench type role in A10 going forward. IMO that is a YESSSS.
I think URI should take him.
Your argument that the players that we could do so much better with will have the power 5 programs heavily involved when it comes time to transfer can be questioned. Walker and Iverson have transferred from the BE (P6) and the American (higher rated conference than the A10). Berry was also a JUCO transfer who started on an NCAA Tournament team.
Berry was no way near that level of recruit of a power 5. I do not think berry would have ever been attracting power 5 attention with his body type and coming from a lower level, skill level or lack of athleticism. Even though berry was great for us and turned out to be a great juco transfer for us. Walker and Iverson had off the court issues that might have kept the power 5s a little unsure. Walker had a great relationship with the Rhody program which gave them a huge advantage similar to the Doherty scenario. Somebody like a Nate Sestina comes to mind for me. Might have seemed in the reach for Rhody prior to entering the transfer portal. Ends up getting massive attention from power 5 programs and goes to Kentucky and no way URI had a shot after that. IDK I have seen some posters scoff at the idea of getting this kid because we are better than that. I simply disagree and that is okay.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

This was a post from the Notre Dame board.

No surprise he is leaving. This was a lower rated recruit who didn't face top level competition. Doherty will perhaps see more success at a lower level.

In this case history doesn’t matter on how we have done with transfers from P5 schools, juco’s, graduates or anything else. It comes down to if the kid can play. I have not seen him play so I will reserve judgement. All I know at this point is he wasn’t highly recruited and has done nothing on a very mediocre ND team. He could be good, but not holding out hope. Has anyone watched him play at all? It is tough to take his high school days when making a statement because it is obviously against inferior competition. Every player is different, but when someone like Harris has trouble adjusting it is tough to expect much from Doherty. We will see I guess
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

In the videos he seems to be pretty mobile. Fairly good hands and used a nice drop step move ( shades of McCale)
on an opposing center to get a nice basket in close. Don't know his upside but seems like ND recruited over the top
of him and now he's not a part of their plan except as a bench player. Seems worth it and if he can get a waiver( big if)
we would have him for 2 years.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Vermont was very interested a couple of years ago. I wonder if that might be a good landing spot for him.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

That video is impressive. He has a collection of some nice strong moves to the hoop on display.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Irv Chatman is probably the best big man we ever got as a transfer out of University of Tennessee. He was a key part of some of the best teams we've had. But that was when I was in school and before electricity was discovered.
IIRC it took a couple of months for Irv to get up to speed.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Irv Chatman is probably the best big man we ever got as a transfer out of University of Tennessee. He was a key part of some of the best teams we've had. But that was when I was in school and before electricity was discovered.
IIRC it took a couple of months for Irv to get up to speed.
I was looking back, and I'm not sure why, but after he transferred he didn't play until February and played only 7 games the first year. In his 2nd year, he was the starting center, playing 30 minutes a game, averaging 8 points and 8 rebounds and had 53 blocks on the best Rhody team I've seen, the '78 team. The thing I remember the most about him were some spectacular blocks.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I remember how annoyed I was watching Andre Berry come in, immediately score, and then continue to ride the bench the following games. I understood he was a liability on D, but that soft touch was a thing of beauty... Eventually his minutes increased and we all know what happened.

My point is some guys just need the opportunity. Maybe we are the perfect fit for Doherty to breakout. If Cox wants Doherty I want Doherty.

Some comments i've read from ND fans..

"Don't blame him, always thought he should of got some more time. I mean it is not like they are setting the world on fire."

"Doherty should have started alongside Mooney and it was Doherty's total lack of playing time that caused him to leave. It is time to call for Coach Brey's resignation"

"I've posted previously that the issue is Brey. He is not a big time coach, and he historically has not been able to put effective player rotations together. The fact that the transfers mentioned are having success at their new schools is the proof"

"I agree with other posters that Laszewski is reminiscent of Luke Zeller. Brey needs to beg Doherty to return to ND and promise him 20 minutes a game at least"
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

The following is what 24/7 claims is the transfer portal on Dec 22. https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Baske ... ferPortal/

I did notice that Greg Hammonds was not in this list??????????????
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

McRam wrote: 4 years ago The following is what 24/7 claims is the transfer portal on Dec 22. https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Baske ... ferPortal/

I did notice that Greg Hammonds was not in this list??????????????
That list seems light and missing quite a few players. Didn't realize Carte'Are Gordon is on the move again.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I am on board hoping we land Doherty

Does anybody know what the latest is ?? Are we just waiting for Doherty to announce ??
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don’t know if he’ll announce or what but the deadline seems like it would the start of second semester, which is in about 3 weeks.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Schools often don't announce anything until the player shows up for first day of class but it usually leaks out before that.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

When would he be eligible?
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago When would he be eligible?
They will nit know that until the Summer. He will apply for a waiver.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Doherty visited URI the Friday before the WkU game.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I wonder if Cox knows these twins and/or has a relationship with them- ??

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... er-portal/
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

McRam wrote: 4 years ago I wonder if Cox knows these twins and/or has a relationship with them- ??

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... er-portal/
Wrong thread. It’s discussed under General Recruiting thread.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Highly doubt there is interest in the twins.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Would be a couple of Tertsea's or Layssard's.

Pass.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Waste of time even talking about the Maryland transfers. We aren’t even a thought in their head whether that is good or bad. I’m not sure why every time someone transfers we talk about them coming to URI with no connection or mention of it. Doherty obviously has a connection and interest. Don’t really want any of them, but this is a possibility with Doherty.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Doherty could give us a solid replacement for Cyril next season especially if he gets a waiver and breathing room to develop a freshman 5 . A big difference playing the 5 in the ACC where it seems every team has legit 6’9/6’10 forwards and some teams have multiple bigs to rotate.
He would be more than ok in the A10
0 x