'18 MA PF Chris Doherty (Northeastern Transfer)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Re: '18 MA PF Chris Doherty (Notre Dame verbal)

Unread post by bkoeppen »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I know we got burned by it with Walker, but don’t dismiss the idea of a waiver that would allow him to play from the jump next season. He’d be returning closer to home and Brey would have no reason to block him - we don’t typically battle for recruits and Doherty didn’t do anything wrong at ND or leave on bad terms.
The most NCAA thing to do ever would be to consider "home sickness" a legit medical condition and grant him a waiver...maybe get him a service dog as well :)
Who knows though, some of us thought that is why Omar got a waiver so he could be closer to family. Bottom line the NCAA waiver process is somewhat random.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I would think John Carroll (and possibly Austin) would know Doherty from when Carroll was involved in NE Playaz AAU.
They were talking to him yesterday in the stands
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From the article I posted earlier

Often the last scholarship player off the bench in games this season, the 6-foot-8, 235-pound Doherty averaged 1.0 points and 0.7 rebounds in 2.5 minutes per game. He played in 17 career games with 15 points and 14 rebounds. Doherty scored his career high (four points) in what turned out to be his final game Nov. 26 against Fairleigh Dickinson.
The blueprint for Doherty last season was to redshirt and go on a five-year plan, something that was scrapped in late January. The Irish ran short on available bodies, so he burned a year of eligibility while playing 42 total minutes over 11 games.
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago From the article I posted earlier

Often the last scholarship player off the bench in games this season, the 6-foot-8, 235-pound Doherty averaged 1.0 points and 0.7 rebounds in 2.5 minutes per game. He played in 17 career games with 15 points and 14 rebounds. Doherty scored his career high (four points) in what turned out to be his final game Nov. 26 against Fairleigh Dickinson.
The blueprint for Doherty last season was to redshirt and go on a five-year plan, something that was scrapped in late January. The Irish ran short on available bodies, so he burned a year of eligibility while playing 42 total minutes over 11 games.
sounds like he was in a tough situation and tried his best to stick it out. imagine we will be competing against BC, PC and UMass for his services.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

We need another big guy to replace Cyril. If this kid can rebound score around the hoop and is quick enough to play in our man to man system go get him
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I love Cyril and if we could just keep cloning him every four years I’d sign up for that. Ditto Hassan. But there is more than one way to skin a cat, and if we cannot find someone that will do exactly what Cyril has (which seems unlikely at this stage), then you can make it work with a guy who is less of a beast but a little more skilled. It might mean changing a little bit how we play on both ends, but that’s OK. Good coaches and teams acquire talent and then adapt the system to match personnel, rather than stubbornly and dogmatically embrace a system and only recruit to that system and force the personnel into it.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I think he would have 1.5 years of eligibility

Played freshman year at ND....this past semester at ND...that blows this year essentially...

Sits out first semester next year...plays 2nd semester....that eats his third year

Plays the next year for a full year....that is 4 years of playing....

If a family member is sick or has died it would be a basis for the waiver for NCAA purposes......Omar Silverio's grandmother passed away last year....it was the reason for his waiver to be back home....maybe Dougherty's family has that issue?

I have to trust the staff as to whether this would be the ideal transfer for us......I can imagine that others will become available now that first semester has finished at most colleges...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago I think he would have 1.5 years of eligibility

Played freshman year at ND....this past semester at ND...that blows this year essentially...

Sits out first semester next year...plays 2nd semester....that eats his third year

Plays the next year for a full year....that is 4 years of playing....

If a family member is sick or has died it would be a basis for the waiver for NCAA purposes......Omar Silverio's grandmother passed away last year....it was the reason for his waiver to be back home....maybe Dougherty's family has that issue?

I have to trust the staff as to whether this would be the ideal transfer for us......I can imagine that others will become available now that first semester has finished at most colleges...
You have 5 years to play 4. I don’t believe he would lose a year of eligibility by transferring just has to sit out 2 semesters.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think what ramulous is saying that both this year and next year would count toward his 4 years of eligibility. Even if you only play one semester each season, it counts as two not one.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I think what ramulous is saying that both this year and next year would count toward his 4 years of eligibility. Even if you only play one semester each season, it counts as two not one.
That is incorrect. He will have 2 1/2 years of eligibility. It is no different than Walker having 3 1/2 years. Even though Walker didn’t play in a game for GTown last year he was enrolled at GTown for the Fall semester. Walker is a Soph right now.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Doherty would be a welcome addition. College body, not wet behind the ears, he’s physical, has post moves and has a nice mid range game. I’m sure he would happily come join the Carroll’s here. There is some comfort there, not to mention, we are better than the competing schools in the area.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

The difference is Walker did not play in a game last year at GTown......no loss of that year

Doherty played this year at ND....hence the year is lost....unless he requests a medical redshirt waiver for this year.....even if you play one game it eats that year
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I think what ramulous is saying that both this year and next year would count toward his 4 years of eligibility. Even if you only play one semester each season, it counts as two not one.
That is incorrect. He will have 2 1/2 years of eligibility. It is no different than Walker having 3 1/2 years. Even though Walker didn’t play in a game for GTown last year he was enrolled at GTown for the Fall semester. Walker is a Soph right now.
It actually is different than Walker, since Walker did not play a game at Georgetown last year and Doherty did play this year for ND. That is the entire difference, so weird comparison.
The right analogy would be Kuran Iverson, who fortunately was given a waiver for his third year and was able to play the entire season.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
It actually is different than Walker, since Walker did not play a game at Georgetown last year and Doherty did play this year for ND. That is the entire difference, so weird comparison.
The right analogy would be Kuran Iverson, who fortunately was given a waiver for his third year and was able to play the entire season.
I don’t believe KI was given a waiver for an extra year. He was given a waiver to play first semester (even tough he played a few games for Memphis and didn’t leave until Nov). I was going to list Walker and KI but cut it short. Walker was under scholarship at GTown for the Fall 2019 Semester. It doesn’t matter that he didn’t play a game. I will bet you a beer that Doherty has 2 1/2 years of eligibility.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I’ll gladly take that bet. We are agreed that Iverson didn’t get an extra year, but the waiver did allow him to play the extra semester his third year (first at URI). If he hadn’t gotten the waiver, he’d have sat first semester, played second semester and then the next year. So without the waiver, his career would have been:

Y1: full year at Memphis
Y2: half year at Memphis
Y3: half year at URI
Y4: full year at URI

Which is exactly what Doherty’s situation is (I think there is a decent likelihood Doherty would get a waiver like Kuran did).

The fact that Walker was on scholarship is relevant only with respect to counting as one of his five years in which he has to play four (I’d have to check whether a year out of the five would have accrued if he wasn’t enrolled at Georgetown at all, but I think it might have, but that’s moot). Because Walker did not play in any games, it did not count toward his four years of eligibility. Because Kuran and Doherty did see the floor during their second years before transferring, it will count against their four (unless they later apply for a redshirt and have it granted but that seems much less likely than getting a waiver for the first semester of third year).
0 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I’ll gladly take that bet. We are agreed that Iverson didn’t get an extra year, but the waiver did allow him to play the extra semester his third year (first at URI). If he hadn’t gotten the waiver, he’d have sat first semester, played second semester and then the next year. So without the waiver, his career would have been:

Which is exactly what Doherty’s situation is (I think there is a decent likelihood Doherty would get a waiver like Kuran did).

The fact that Walker was on scholarship is relevant only with respect to counting as one of his five years in which he has to play four (I’d have to check whether a year out of the five would have accrued if he wasn’t enrolled at Georgetown at all, but I think it might have, but that’s moot). Because Walker did not play in any games, it did not count toward his four years of eligibility. Because Kuran and Doherty did see the floor during their second years before transferring, it will count against their four (unless they later apply for a redshirt and have it granted but that seems much less likely than getting a waiver for the first semester of third year).
Who cares who is right? Let’s just sign the damn kid 😁! I’ll take him for a year and a half or more. They said his game was similar to Dave Cowens, super tough, and he just wants to win. I’ll take it.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes this sounds awesome let’s nab him and Isaiah Richards ???
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Doherty's situation is not the same as Walker's. Doherty played games in two different seasons, so he has two years of eligibility left. If he doesn't get an NCAA waiver he will end up playing 1 1/2 semesters for URI. Walker only played one season at Georgetown before transferring.
I, too, think there's a decent chance for a waiver in that Brey will not fight it like Georgetown did.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago Doherty's situation is not the same as Walker's. Doherty played games in two different seasons, so he has two years of eligibility left. If he doesn't get an NCAA waiver he will end up playing 1 1/2 semesters for URI. Walker only played one season at Georgetown before transferring.
I, too, think there's a decent chance for a waiver in that Brey will not fight it like Georgetown did.
Iggy you mean 1 1/2 years, not semesters, right?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Mike Brey doesn't seem like a douche...Patrick Ewing has always been a douche
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I’ll gladly take that bet. We are agreed that Iverson didn’t get an extra year, but the waiver did allow him to play the extra semester his third year (first at URI). If he hadn’t gotten the waiver, he’d have sat first semester, played second semester and then the next year. So without the waiver, his career would have been:

I owe you a beer TP. My screw up.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

All good. Not really a screw up - it is confusing. I only understood it this time around because I assumed the same thing you did here when Kuran came over from Memphis.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

I think you need to push to get this kid to commit to rhody regardless if it is 1.5 years, 2 years or 2.5 years. I think he would be a very good addition and can help spell the lose of cyril after this year and would be a nice trio of experienced big man with harris walker and doherty. While also pushing for Richards or another freshman big to come in. It would give you the luxury to not have to 100% rely on immediate production from that incoming freshman big. And would be a great use of the hammond scholarship.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

So did we discover he would have 2.5 years, 2 years or 1.5?
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago So did we discover he would have 2.5 years, 2 years or 1.5?
If he sits out 2020-2021, he would have 2 full years.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If he's only played 1 1/2 semesters, why wouldn't he have 2 1/2 left?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago Doherty's situation is not the same as Walker's. Doherty played games in two different seasons, so he has two years of eligibility left. If he doesn't get an NCAA waiver he will end up playing 1 1/2 semesters for URI. Walker only played one season at Georgetown before transferring.
Iggy you mean 1 1/2 years, not semesters, right?
yes. thanks.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

My guess would be 2 but would be subject to the NCAA waiver request process which could be any ones guess how that goes. But the mike brey comments about finding his next home, not violating any team rules and also transferring closer to home could help the waiver grant to start fall 2020. But again that is for NCAA to decide. Doherty played 6 games averaging 2 mins this year for ND so two years will have been used up for sure. Only way it could even be considered 2.5 if somehow he was allowed a redshirt for this year. This scenario is highly unlikely with already playing 6 games and no injury. so its either 1.5 with no waiver or 2 with a waiver. With no waiver he would be able to start immediately following the end of the fall 2020 semester in december. Given that he commits prior to the start of next semester in january.
Last edited by sevegny7 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago I think you need to push to get this kid to commit to rhody regardless if it is 1.5 years, 2 years or 2.5 years. I think he would be a very good addition and can help spell the lose of cyril after this year and would be a nice trio of experienced big man with harris walker and doherty. While also pushing for Richards or another freshman big to come in. It would give you the luxury to not have to 100% rely on immediate production from that incoming freshman big. And would be a great use of the hammond scholarship.
yes.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago If he's only played 1 1/2 semesters, why wouldn't he have 2 1/2 left?
They don't break up eligibility into semesters. Once you play a game,that's a year of eligibility. Dougherty has used two years of eligibility. Because he's leaving mid-season he''ll be eligible mid-season next year. So that means he ends up playing 1 1/2 years. If he's given an NCAA waiver, he'll get two full seasons at URI. But there's no way for him to play 2 1/2.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago If he's only played 1 1/2 semesters, why wouldn't he have 2 1/2 left?
They don't break up eligibility into semesters. Once you play a game,that's a year of eligibility. Dougherty has used two years of eligibility. Because he's leaving mid-season he''ll be eligible mid-season next year. So that means he ends up playing 1 1/2 years. If he's given an NCAA waiver, he'll get two full seasons at URI. But there's no way for him to play 2 1/2.
If he transferred today, got a waiver and started playing in January, why wouldn't he have 2 1/2 years? It's the same year.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

There's no waiver that would allow him to play next month; the waiver would make him eligible in September, one semester early.
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

I don't think there's anyway he plays 1 1/2, if he doesn't get a waiver to play in the fall of 2020, he'll sit until 2021.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago
I don't think there's anyway he plays 1 1/2, if he doesn't get a waiver to play in the fall of 2020, he'll sit until 2021.
That's very rare. He would end up sitting a year and a half, after not playing much this past semester. Long layoff.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Then he should stay at ND until the end of next semester and transfer then.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Then he should stay at ND until the end of next semester and transfer then.
He's decided against that obviously. He was sitting the bench there so what's to gain by staying. He's hoping he gets the waiver and plays 2 full seasons at a new school.
1 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago

That's very rare. He would end up sitting a year and a half, after not playing much this past semester. Long layoff.
Be pretty rare to shorten his career to that extent when he might not even play much in that 2nd semester.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Every mid year transfer is in the same boat. I’ve never heard of a kid sitting out a year and a half so they could play two full years. Like mentioned earlier, this is the exact situation with Iverson, who got a waiver to play a semester early. I think Doherty’s situation would end playing out similarly, but there is risk of shortening your career.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

So what are the options ?? He either plays next December like Walker and plays 1.5 years or sits all of next year then plays 2 full seasons ??
Which one do we prefer ??
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Unless we get a stud big man as a freshman I think getting him so he’s eligible in December is preferable.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I like the idea of grabbing Chris, gives us a 3 man rotation of him walker and Harris for 2 years which is really good.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

If he comes here.....

He is unlikely to sit out 3 semesters.....he will try to get a waiver for humanitarian reasons to be home near a sick relative....otherwise he will miss the first semester
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Don’t know that much about Doherty, so someone who has followed him closer tell me why we would be that much better off having him over a grad transfer or freshman? He doesn’t look like he has been able to accomplish much of anything at Notre Dame-playing time obviously effects this, but still he wasn’t exactly the highest recruit coming out of high school. Is it because he is from around our area? Is there even talk about URI with him?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

He was at the last URI game.
Freshmen bigs generally are not ready to play right away. That's the case with the ones URI has been recruiting.
Fifth-year bigs are hard to get if there any good.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

So URI does have interest...fine but what about another guard, either a transfer or 5th year?

I would rather take our chances with a freshman big even though Iggy is right about not helping right away...but in a couple years?

Could Doherty give us anywhere near what Walker is going to?

And then we have a crapload of guys graduating together. Then what?

We will need mucho help in a couple of years.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think big man depth is more of an issue than guard depth for next season, although I’m sure we will be active in the grad transfer market for a ball handler to the extent that there is such a market.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

For sure....next season if Sheppard doesn't play we would have Fatts and 2 freshmen at the guard position.....

Can't take that chance no matter how good Leggett and possibly Wood are.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I am confident that Sheppard will play.
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Good big man depth in the A10 isn’t easy to come by. Would love to stock up on PF/C if and when we can.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I have no idea what to expect from Doherty. Gotta trust the staff on this one just like their opinion on all other recruits.
0 x