'19 MD SF - Mekhi Long (URI --> Old Dominion)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: '19 MD SF - Mekhi Long (URI Signed LOI)

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago Big game for Long and McNamara tonight (Tuesday) as they visit Gonzaga at 7:30pm
For the year Long is 60-83 on FTs for 72% but has hit 16 of his last 19 over the last 3 games (including 9-10 last game) for 84%
Long had 9 rebounds, 8 points and 2 assists in a loss last night at Gonzaga. 2-4 FTs.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/allmetsp ... f8b08da57b
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Let’s go recruit Terrance Williams (‘20) from Gonzaga HS. 6’7” PF who had 22 points in the game. Almost half his teams points.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Let’s go recruit Terrance Williams (‘20) from Gonzaga HS. 6’7” PF who had 22 points in the game. Almost half his teams points.
He’s a high major.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

McNamara lost last night to St John's College HS (Dowtin's school) 58-41.
Long led McNamara with 11 rebounds and 14 points.
He was 1-3 on FTs. On the season he is now 78-112 for FTs for 69.6%
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Long had 17 points, 8 rebounds and 2-2 FTs to lead McNamara to a 15 point win over Good Council.

Tonight, Jan 27 @ 7pm, McNamara hosts Dematha which is ranked 7th Nationally in USA Today Top 25.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago McNamara lost last night to St John's College HS (Dowtin's school) 58-41.
Rhody is recruiting Darius Maddox (‘20 PG) from St John’s. Any stats on him from this game?
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago McNamara lost last night to St John's College HS (Dowtin's school) 58-41.
Rhody is recruiting Darius Maddox (‘20 PG) from St John’s. Any stats on him from this game?
He had 9 points - St Johns had a pretty good balance of scoring against Mcnamara

https://www.washingtonpost.com/allmetsp ... a8829ab101
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Long seems to be taking a step forward in his development
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago Long had 17 points, 8 rebounds and 2-2 FTs to lead McNamara to a 15 point win over Good Council.

Tonight, Jan 27 @ 7pm, McNamara hosts Dematha which is ranked 7th Nationally in USA Today Top 25.
McNamara lost to Dematha 89-50 last night. Long led McNamara with 13 points. He had 3 rebounds, 0-1 FTs, 3 rebounds, 1 assist.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

Question for the people who watch these guys play, Is your opinion of Long any different than last year? I recall the consensus seemed to be he was projected to be a TJ Buchanan type role player. Has your opinion changed?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RAMFAN wrote: 5 years ago Question for the people who watch these guys play, Is your opinion of Long any different than last year? I recall the consensus seemed to be he was projected to be a TJ Buchanan type role player. Has your opinion changed?
Part of it is the level of competition. Massanutten plays a higher level competition than Long’s high school team.
I think it should benefit his offense some because he is getting more touches, plays, shots & attention defensively this year.
I still think he is a TJ type role player. Maybe Stan Robinson type for his high end. He does everything well especially defense and rebounding. He has a better shot/range than TJ. He will be a key player in the rotation. I don’t think he will get a lot of time as a Fr but should be a key contributor as a Soph and beyond.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am starting to think he will get a decent amount of playing time next year
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reef wrote: 5 years ago I am starting to think he will get a decent amount of playing time next year
He isn’t a Guard so he has the following players in front of him.
Cyril, Harris, Martin, Walker, Tate & Thompson. And he will be competing for minutes with Mading.
If Thompson leaves, that would help his chance for minutes. I don’t see Thompson leaving.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

We definitely need a point guard. If Harris and/or Adams didn't decommit we'd be fine, but we're going to need someone to back up Fatts 2 years from now then take over in 3 years.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RAMFAN wrote: 5 years ago Question for the people who watch these guys play, Is your opinion of Long any different than last year? I recall the consensus seemed to be he was projected to be a TJ Buchanan type role player. Has your opinion changed?
Part of it is the level of competition. Massanutten plays a higher level competition than Long’s high school team.
I think it should benefit his offense some because he is getting more touches, plays, shots & attention defensively this year.
I still think he is a TJ type role player. Maybe Stan Robinson type for his high end. He does everything well especially defense and rebounding. He has a better shot/range than TJ. He will be a key player in the rotation. I don’t think he will get a lot of time as a Fr but should be a key contributor as a Soph and beyond.
Long plays in arguably one of the best high school conferences in the country. DeMatha, St. John’s, Paul VI, Gonzaga, O’Connell. All of those teams starting lineups have high major D1 talent.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago We definitely need a point guard. If Harris and/or Adams didn't decommit we'd be fine, but we're going to need someone to back up Fatts 2 years from now then take over in 3 years.
The plan was always to recruit a PG for the ‘20 class. Adams and Harris are combo guards. I am not sure either will play PG at UConn and Nebraska.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago We definitely need a point guard. If Harris and/or Adams didn't decommit we'd be fine, but we're going to need someone to back up Fatts 2 years from now then take over in 3 years.
The plan was always to recruit a PG for the ‘20 class. Adams and Harris are combo guards. I am not sure either will play PG at UConn and Nebraska.
Thanks. I thought they were point guards.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
Long plays in arguably one of the best high school conferences in the country. DeMatha, St. John’s, Paul VI, Gonzaga, O’Connell. All of those teams starting lineups have high major D1 talent.
Not questioning the top high school conference Long plays in. Top national prep schools are a level in between high school and college in my opinion. Usually play top competition around the country, number of top players on each team, travel, strength & conditioning etc.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would rather Thompson leave and give the minutes to Long
1 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

This is kid is playing well having a Martin like senior year climb up the rankings. Could be a very nice addition to this squad.

But GD we need a proficient shooter from the outside.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Long has made 96 for 139 FTs for 69%

He has had stronger rebounding games of late
Last 6 games for rebounds:
Bishop Ireton - 12
O'Connell - 15
Paul VI - 19
Annapolis Area Christian - 9
Carroll - 7
St Mary's Ryken - 15

Stats for the Season to Date:
Picture8.png
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This kid can have a nice career at URI. I am optimistic on Long !!
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Mekhi Long the next TJ.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Long is continuing to finish the year strong
Last Night McNamara lost a squeaker to #12 Ranked USA Today DeMatha (#1 Ranked DMV) by 2 points, 61-59

Long led McNamara with 18 points including 5 2FG, 2 3FG, 2-4 FT, 6 assists and 10 rebounds

DeMatha's top 3 players are:

SR - 6'4" Justin Moore who is #51 ESPN Class of 2019 headed to Villanova. Moore had 8 points.

JR - 7'1" 260lb Hunter Dickenson who is #27 ESPN Class of 2020 - undecided. Dickenson had 24 points

JR - 6'6' 215lb Earl Timberlake who is #39 ESPN Class of 2020 - undecided. Timberlake had 21 points including 13-13 FTs
Picture9.png
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

This was the signing I questioned more than any other. I am happy to say it looks like I was wrong.
His trajectory seems to be still trending up. Who knows, maybe he becomes the next Jordan Caroline.
However, I still wish he was either 6'10" or could really shoot it.

We are a team desperately in need of a star - a guy to carry us in the last 5 min or end a scoring drought. A shot maker. The GO TO GUY.
A player that can score despite the other team knowing he is getting the ball. We thought we had one. We don't.
While our 2019 class is solid, we're not getting that player as far as I can see.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 5 years ago This was the signing I questioned more than any other. I am happy to say it looks like I was wrong.
His trajectory seems to be still trending up. Who knows, maybe he becomes the next Jordan Caroline.
However, I still wish he was either 6'10" or could really shoot it.

We are a team desperately in need of a star - a guy to carry us in the last 5 min or end a scoring drought. A shot maker. The GO TO GUY.
A player that can score despite the other team knowing he is getting the ball. We thought we had one. We don't.
While our 2019 class is solid, we're not getting that player as far as I can see.
I agree with what you’re saying the team needs, and have made the same point. But I don’t see what it has to do with Long. He is definitely an A10 caliber player - it remains to be seen whether he is a depth/program guy or capable of being a top player on a good team; that it seems unlikely he will be an all-conference go-to shot maker shouldn’t be held against him. And who knows, maybe he will become that but if he doesn’t it isn’t a failing on his part. It’s up to the staff to find that guy and get him on campus.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

I never took a shot at anyone. Not holding anything against him or trying to hurt anyone's feelings.
He's a solid A-10 player in a class of solid players. Nothing wrong with that.
Heck, I even gave him Jordan Caroline as a ceiling, while you capped our whole program at 'good'.
I believe, subconsciously, you are thinking exactly the same way I am .....
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes it seems like Long is rising up the charts so hopefully he is in the rotation next year as we can use as many good players as possible
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

His jump shot looks a lot better than what I remember in some of the older videos.
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago His jump shot looks a lot better than what I remember in some of the older videos.
looks like a completely different player - will fit in just right.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Liking what I see out of this kid !!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In the O’Connell win Long had 30 points and 13 rebounds. 7-10 FTs, hit 3 3FGs
3 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Looks like he could be another good pickup - just wish we had a consistent shooter coming in with him. Lots of tough, physical guards who can drive is great but you do need a couple guys who can shoot over the top of defenses to let these guys function.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

That first team is mostly Top 150 guys.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I have a new favorite name. “Dug”
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago I have a new favorite name. “Dug”
That's a Celtic name.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Kid has some serious hops!
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Rhode Island University? Really? 😕
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Good for Mekhi to make that All Star Game

Make RIU proud!!!!
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think we are going to love this guys game
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I'm willing to take a flyer on anyone that can get their elbow over the rim. That said, I'm hoping for a Lamonte Ulmer type. Similar body type, skill set and athleticism from his tapes. Lamonte was just a jumping jack for his first 2-2.5 seasons and then added some more skill to his game and had a big Jr and Sr year.
0 x