'19 MD SF - Mekhi Long (URI --> Old Dominion)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Re: '19 MD SF - Mekhi Long (URI - Transfer)

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Think he has an issue. He hasn’t been at the same school for two years in a row since his Fr & Soph year of high school

16-17 McNamara
17-18 Massanutten
18-19 McNamara
19-20 URI
20-21 new college
16-17 he played at St. Mary’s Ryken
This says it all....
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Think he has an issue. He hasn’t been at the same school for two years in a row since his Fr & Soph year of high school

16-17 McNamara
17-18 Massanutten
18-19 McNamara
19-20 URI
20-21 new college
This says it all....
But we knew this when we recruited him. Nothing new. We have an incoming freshman with similar school change frequency
1 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

This says it all....
But we knew this when we recruited him. Nothing new. We have an incoming freshman with similar school change frequency
And your number one Rhody fan award goes to... Ramster, he loves the coach and the team. He’s been rooting for them all year and can’t wait for next years season... NOT
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DevRam wrote: 4 years ago

This says it all....
And your number one Rhody fan award goes to... Ramster, he loves the coach and the team. He’s been rooting for them all year and can’t wait for next years season... NOT
Great.
Just be like you and DC_Rams
Get mad with facts and throw personal insults
1 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

DevRam wrote: 4 years ago And your number one Rhody fan award goes to... Ramster, he loves the coach and the team. He’s been rooting for them all year and can’t wait for next years season... NOT
I don’t understand why you’re attacking him? Because he’s correctly calling out hypocritical takes?

What’s your honest expectation of a coach here? How often should we make the tourney?
0 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

No this isn’t just about one post, he’s on here all day posting nothing but negativity about the program. I understand some concerns but acting like there were no positive takeaways from this year is childish. This is a second year coach who has improved from year 1 to year 2. I just don’t believe driving someone out after 1 and 3/4 of a year coaching is fair at all. Probably the same people who wanted Hurley out early on are the same ones who want him back.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DevRam wrote: 4 years ago No this isn’t just about one post, he’s on here all day posting nothing but negativity about the program. I understand some concerns but acting like there were no positive takeaways from this year is childish. This is a second year coach who has improved from year 1 to year 2. I just don’t believe driving someone out after 1 and 3/4 of a year coaching is fair at all. Probably the same people who wanted Hurley out early on are the same ones who want him back.
There is no driving out Cox
He is here a minimum of 2 more years
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Does anybody remember the PC game? 23 minutes....9 points, 7 rebounds, 4 steals, 2 blocked shots.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Does anybody remember the PC game? 23 minutes....9 points, 7 rebounds, 4 steals, 2 blocked shots.
I sure do. He was awesome.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

DevRam wrote: 4 years ago No this isn’t just about one post, he’s on here all day posting nothing but negativity about the program. I understand some concerns but acting like there were no positive takeaways from this year is childish. This is a second year coach who has improved from year 1 to year 2. I just don’t believe driving someone out after 1 and 3/4 of a year coaching is fair at all. Probably the same people who wanted Hurley out early on are the same ones who want him back.
He will be here 5 years no matter happens. URI doesn’t have the funds not to.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Lay off Ramster he is passionate and always throws out the relevant stats to back up his opinions. I don’t always agree with his opinions but he always wants the best for URI
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
He will be here 5 years no matter happens. URI doesn’t have the funds not to.
That’s why I say a minimum. It’s likely 5 years as you said. If he does well he could entertain better offers. Heck, just a month ago posters were worried about losing him. One poster wrote a letter to Thor.
It’s what have you done for me lately.
I like David Cox but every HC is not above second guessing and criticism.
This board was ecstatic with the 10 game winning streak, melted down with the Richmond, Davidson and St Louis losses.
2 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Mekhi loss is a big one. The fact that he was an early commit and had a very good relationship with Cox and still decided to transfer is a statement of where the program is today.

Long is an excellent defender, gets a lot of steals for the minutes he plays and is heady ball player. He also seems to be a solid citizen and very good team first player.

Sorry to say it, but, unless there are circumstances that we are not aware of, this is one of the barometers of the real status of our program.
3 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

You are not a "team first player" and then bolt the first time something does not go your way.
We actually know very little about each player. We know even less about the people in their lives pulling the strings.
Kids who think they deserve more but don't want to work for it are not the best teammates, in general.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 4 years ago You are not a "team first player" and then bolt the first time something does not go your way.
We actually know very little about each player. We know even less about the people in their lives pulling the strings.
Kids who think they deserve more but don't want to work for it are not the best teammates, in general.
Bingo
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Yup, kinda hard to call a kid that bolts "team first", normally I try to champion the player mainly because they are kids being pushed and pulled by adults trying to make money from their efforts. In this case, I feel like Long leaving now is weak, really weak. In terms of roster management, that doesn't absolve our coaching staff, but let's not paint the kid as some all around great teammate putting the team first.

I wish I could better understand the team hopping mentality, I just don't get it. As a player on a team that competes hard with top competition where I get 13 minutes per game as a freshman, I'm psyched and looking forward to my sophomore season with my team.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think his playing style was team oriented. Far more than many players we have seen come and go. He basically executed on offense by taking a shot or passing the ball immediately. His bolting is obviously not.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 4 years ago You are not a "team first player" and then bolt the first time something does not go your way.
So we know very little about each player and even less about the people pulling the strings, but you seem pretty confident in calling players not team first or kids who think they deserve more but don't want to work so they are bad teammates. Makes very little sense to claim we know nothing about them but then offer very strong negative opinions about them.
3 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Fair enough adam, speaking for myself, I'm just bummed about the turnover in the roster and being narrow about what I don't know lol. Who knows why he's transferring?!? It's all only conjecture unless your name is Mekhi Long.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

McRam, the circumstances are:
His mother and father think he is an NBA player.
5 different teams in 5 years.

Ramster, there is definitely a risk with Elijah Wood and the staff knows it.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago McRam, the circumstances are:
His mother and father think he is an NBA player.
5 different teams in 5 years.

Ramster, there is definitely a risk with Elijah Wood and the staff knows it.
Of course they do.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Makhi...

Makhel...
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

16-17 McNamara
17-18 Massanutten
18-19 McNamara
19-20 URI
20-21 new college
I'd double check your information, as he spent his freshman and sophomore year at St. Mary's Ryken.
He left St. Mary's Ryken after his sophomore year due a coaching change. The Ryken coach upgraded positions, moving to a better job in the conference at St. John's. Ryken is typically a bottom dwelling school located very far from other members in the conference. They have struggled since their previous coach left, making it pretty apparent why he left.

He would spend his junior year at Massanutten. Again, his coach would leave at the conclusion of the season, this time taking the prep job at IMG. After spending his senior year back closer to home at Mcnamara.

All I'm saying is that while it may be easy to make a blanket statement such as yours above, there may certainly be more to it then simply not getting the touches or getting in trouble etc etc.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Makhi...

Makhel...
Oops wrong thread...wrong Mehki/Makhi.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I guess the term "team player" can apply to his commitment on the floor during the game and practice and also his commitment to the school and the program.

My comment regarding him as a "team player" refers to the way he played the game and assume how he practiced. What I saw was an aggresive player who played hard on every possession, who did not force shots and who played extremely hard on defense and rebounding. If he was discouraged I never saw it show on the court. The kid played hard, sacrificed his body etc. Remember the UMass game; he clearly was the player that did the best job on Mitchell defensviely, only after Cyril and Harris proved they could not gurad him. Just a thought, do you think he was more of a "team player" by the above definition that Tyrese Martin?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Bos8 wrote: 4 years ago

16-17 McNamara
17-18 Massanutten
18-19 McNamara
19-20 URI
20-21 new college
I'd double check your information, as he spent his freshman and sophomore year at St. Mary's Ryken.
He left St. Mary's Ryken after his sophomore year due a coaching change. The Ryken coach upgraded positions, moving to a better job in the conference at St. John's. Ryken is typically a bottom dwelling school located very far from other members in the conference. They have struggled since their previous coach left, making it pretty apparent why he left.

He would spend his junior year at Massanutten. Again, his coach would leave at the conclusion of the season, this time taking the prep job at IMG. After spending his senior year back closer to home at Mcnamara.

All I'm saying is that while it may be easy to make a blanket statement such as yours above, there may certainly be more to it then simply not getting the touches or getting in trouble etc etc.
The correction on Ryken was mentioned a few days ago in a post.
Five schools in five years. Two high school/prep coaches move. He left Massanutten to be close to home and not because of a new cosch. There are many high school players who stay at their school after a coach leaves. There is an issue here. To say otherwise is misleading. Don’t forget he also switched AAU teams in the middle of the season in the key evaluation year.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Obviously loyalty to a program was not a priority here.

You wonder just what the staff is doing when it comes to gauging the stability of some recruits.

And now with the Mitchell twins?

Not to mention the issue with Sheppard.

If Cox is taking chances because he's striking out on his top targets, it's clear he's losing those gambles.

This has become a pattern of failure, like it or not.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago

16-17 McNamara
17-18 Massanutten
18-19 McNamara
19-20 URI
20-21 new college

Five schools in five years. Two high school/prep coaches move. He left Massanutten to be close to home and not because of a new cosch. There are many high school players who stay at their school after a coach leaves. There is an issue here. To say otherwise is misleading. Don’t forget he also switched AAU teams in the middle of the season in the key evaluation year.
83, Bos is connected to the DMV. Take him at his word. He’s actually knows a lot of the kids and their families personally.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Obviously loyalty to a program was not a priority here.

You wonder just what the staff is doing when it comes to gauging the stability of some recruits.

And now with the Mitchell twins?

Not to mention the issue with Sheppard.

If Cox is taking chances because he's striking out on his top targets, it's clear he's losing those gambles.

This has become a pattern of failure, like it or not.
I really feel like you’re the kind of guy that pouts at his birthday parties and knocks the cake over because you don’t like color of the frosting. You are just one depressing mf’er. All the fucking time. Such a drain....
5 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Just so sorry that you can't handle the truth.

Maybe the problem is, I'm not afraid to post about it, where others don't want to offend your sensibilities about Cox.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

83, Bos is connected to the DMV. Take him at his word. He’s actually knows a lot of the kids and their families personally.
I know that. I didn’t disagree with anything he posted. It doesn’t change 5 schools on 5 years.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I know that. I didn’t disagree with anything he posted. It doesn’t change 5 schools on 5 years.
It sounded like you disagreed with his reasoning for leaving Massanutten.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Just so sorry that you can't handle the truth.

Maybe the problem is, I'm not afraid to post about it, where others don't want to offend your sensibilities about Cox.
Be original. Come up with something new. That’s everyone’s default argument.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

DC_Rams, I'm not sure how long you have been around these boards, but let me just say this.

I've been on and off these URI message boards for more than 25 years, very prominently at the beginning, I used to be a regular. And all you need to know is, I had made an appearance when they first fired Baron and hired Hurley. And I saw Rod at the Ryan center, it had been years, like a reunion, I was surprised he even remembered what I looked like, it had been a cool decade at the time. He had a good memory.

And then I disappeared again, because to me, that was like "mission accomplished". I saw it as, the program was in good hands with Hurley, so I didn't need to be all over the message boards in my opinion. It should have been only a matter of time and patience, and he was going to be able to turn the program around.

WELL, the year before Hurley brought them to back to back NCAA appearances, I took a peek on this site, and there were people on here saying they wanted to fire Hurley. And I just left again. I remember thinking, these people are nuts. So, if they are going to act like that while Hurley was here, don't expect much difference with Cox. Or any coach for that matter.
5 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

16-17 McNamara
17-18 Massanutten
18-19 McNamara
19-20 URI
20-21 new college

15-16 St Mary’s Ryken
16-17 McNamara - St Mary’s Ryken
17-18 Massanutten
18-19 McNamara
19-20 URI
20-21 new college

Bos8, you added in Long’s Freshman year, just to be clear. So there wasn’t really a different school Long’s Sophomore year in HS, it was the same school as his Freshman Year. Long had 5 schools in 6 years. I know 83 said 5 schools in 5 years, but he had McNamara, not St Mary’s in Soph Year, so 83 would have had 6 schools in 6 years if he had included the Freshman year.

So Long leaves St Mary’s after his Soph year as his HC moves on to St Johns. But also Mansanutten Military Academy is a Prep School that plays a National Schedule. It’s located in northwestern Virginia in the tiny town of Woodstock. A big difference from DC. Not much around Woodstock. Then the HC at Mansanutten, who had brought Long in, moved on to IMG in Florida. Long maybe was homesick, or seen the coach he liked and who recruited him to Mansanutten, move on, and maybe Long thought he would be or was in process of being recruited over, or a combination of these reasons and he moves back home to DC. These Prep Schools play tough schedules but they also revolving door bring in top players from around the country.

So instead of returning to St Mary’s he goes to McNamara which is a competitive school in DC. McNamara wanted Long and he would play against the best teams in the DC Catholic League his Senior Year.

Bos8, was this the HC you refer to?
https://www.nvdaily.com/nvdaily/mma-pos ... 6f2a8.html
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago DC_Rams, I'm not sure how long you have been around these boards, but let me just say this.

I've been on and off these URI message boards for more than 25 years, very prominently at the beginning, I used to be a regular. And all you need to know is, I had made an appearance when they first fired Baron and hired Hurley. And I saw Rod at the Ryan center, it had been years, like a reunion, I was surprised he even remembered what I looked like, it had been a cool decade at the time. He had a good memory.

And then I disappeared again, because to me, that was like "mission accomplished". I saw it as, the program was in good hands with Hurley, so I didn't need to be all over the message boards in my opinion. It should have been only a matter of time and patience, and he was going to be able to turn the program around.

WELL, the year before Hurley brought them to back to back NCAA appearances, I took a peek on this site, and there were people on here saying they wanted to fire Hurley. And I just left again. I remember thinking, these people are nuts. So, if they are going to act like that while Hurley was here, don't expect much difference with Cox. Or any coach for that matter.
I’m close to doing the same. This place and some of it “fans” really suck.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

To be clear, DC, I am currently NOT advocating the firing of David Cox.

I just do not like the way things have been going.

The jury is still out. The next few weeks will tell us a lot about the direction of this program.

And I know he'll be here at least another year, even if it gets worse.

Looking for a turnaround in many areas. Not impossible, but is it likely? That's the question.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago DC_Rams, I'm not sure how long you have been around these boards, but let me just say this.

I’m close to doing the same. This place and some of it “fans” really suck.
Well we know you love to do that when things aren't going well.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I know DC won't believe this, but all of us care about this program. A lot.

Some of us are just more critical than others. Whether it's deserved or not, is a matter of opinion.

I do give credit where credit is due.

I would love to be more positive...but right now there isn't that much to be positive about.
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Could this just be Doombone being too reactionary (as usual)? He has recently been praising Dan, which I totally agree with; I wish Dan were still here too but not because I don't believe in Coach Cox. Anyway, I compiled a "greatest hits" list of how Doombone felt about Dan before the late season run in 2017 to show how he doesn't believe in coaches until they prove him wrong. (Special shoutout to ramster, though, who really was very early on defending Dan in that thread.)

Before he comes on here spouting off about how "he has a right to express his opinion," I'm not saying he shouldn't. He can, and should, state his opinion all he likes but that comes with others being able to disagree with those opinions. If you post an unpopular opinion, you should expect a decent amount of pushback.
Attachments
Doombone.jpg
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RhodyKyle, I have no problem with people disagreeing with me, pushback so to speak.

But some take it too far with vulgarities and personal attacks.

There is NO place for that, anywhere. Nowadays, tolerance is taking a beating.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago

Could this just be Doombone being too reactionary (as usual)? He has recently been praising Dan, which I totally agree with; I wish Dan were still here too but not because I don't believe in Coach Cox. Anyway, I compiled a "greatest hits" list of how Doombone felt about Dan before the late season run in 2017 to show how he doesn't believe in coaches until they prove him wrong. (Special shoutout to ramster, though, who really was very early on defending Dan in that thread.)

Before he comes on here spouting off about how "he has a right to express his opinion," I'm not saying he shouldn't. He can, and should, state his opinion all he likes but that comes with others being able to disagree with those opinions. If you post an unpopular opinion, you should expect a decent amount of pushback.
So what you’re saying is that I should just block his posts? Lol

Holy investigative research Batman. His credence is now shot.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I wasn't the only one who was trashing Dan.

Winning does change people's opinions.

Look at Grant at Dayton. Not too long ago, many on the Dayton board wanted him run out of town.

Anyway, time to look forward.

If Cox and the program give me reason to be happy, then I will be.
0 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

With Rese transferring possibly Mekhi pulls out of the portal? I think that’s unlikely but hey, lotta minutes to go around.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

That is not an even swap talent-wise, and I don't want a kid back that bailed on us.
He can go sit the bench at a P5 school or play big minutes in the Colonial.
He made his bed.
4 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Mehki to ODU
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Seems like a good fit for him. They are usually known for being a tough defensive team which fits right up his alley. He should get either starting minutes or be up over 20 minutes a game.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I'm a little surprised, because URI ---> ODU strikes me as a somewhat lateral move, and if he wasn't happy with his playing time this year, it's not a guarantee that he gains more in 2021-22. Like, it's not like he's going to UMass-Lowell.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

He played 13.3 minutes a game. 14.8 in the A-10. I think that’s pretty good for a freshman.
0 x