'19 MD SF - Mekhi Long (URI --> Old Dominion)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Re: '19 MD SF - Mekhi Long (URI - Transfer)

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago He played 13.3 minutes a game. 14.8 in the A-10. I think that’s pretty good for a freshman.
Agreed - especially a freshman without a ton of offensive skills. Over time, that part of his game would have improved.
However, last year, teams just backed off him and dared him to shoot. He was exposed and had to have noticed.
He had a couple of good games, but was, at best, inconsistent on offense last year.
Given that, how much can you expect to play? I just don't get it.

Work hard on your shot this summer and minutes would have increased. It isn't rocket science, just work.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

However, last year, teams just backed off him and dared him to shoot. He was exposed and had to have noticed.
He had a couple of good games, but was, at best, inconsistent on offense last year.
Given that, how much can you expect to play? I just don't get it.

Why is this a surprise? Gen Z kids have been raised for instant gratification and that everyone gets a trophy
just for showing up! An unrealistic sense of self worth. Combine that with the AAU culture and you have
a perfect storm of unrealistic expectations. It doesn't surprise me at all that there is probably going to
be 700 transfers in Div. 1 this year and its probably only going to get worse if and when the one time, no
penalty transfer rule kicks in. But it sure makes it hard to be a fan of any of these kids!
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

ODU is a good program and close to home. It should work out for him. I think he will be a good player. Sorry to see him go.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I would suggest he use some of his next year off to practice free throw shooting.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago ODU is a good program and close to home. It should work out for him. I think he will be a good player. Sorry to see him go.
I heard last week that he transferred to be closer to home and not over playing time. ODU is a 3 hour drive (180 miles) from his home town. It doesn’t seem very close but obviously a lot closer than RI.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago ODU is a good program and close to home. It should work out for him. I think he will be a good player. Sorry to see him go.
I heard last week that he transferred to be closer to home and not over playing time. ODU is a 3 hour drive (180 miles) from his home town. It doesn’t seem very close but obviously a lot closer than RI.
This does have truth because I know that his mother drove up from Maryland for home games
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Dino611 wrote: 4 years ago
This does have truth because I know that his mother drove up from Maryland for home games
Sorry, I'm not buying this as a reason. They didn't know the distance from Maryland to RI before he committed? More to the story.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Re: '19 MD SF - Mekhi Long (URI Transfer to ODU)

Unread post by RamStock »

Wish Long good luck and let’s move on. It seems like a good fit for him and his family and also the type of play Old Dominion is accustomed to with hard nosed defense. He has potential to be a very solid player at this level.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
Dino611 wrote: 4 years ago

Sorry, I'm not buying this as a reason. They didn't know the distance from Maryland to RI before he committed? More to the story.
Yes and no. A 17 year old can think, "no big deal" until it's routine and then it hits home. You don't realize how home sick you can be until you're away for some time, so it's certainly a possibility.
4 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”