'18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (UConn)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams

Unread post by Running Ram »

He would get plenty of PT if he landed here, right away. Adams actually would have rounded out this incoming class with an EXCLAMATION point. Hope Cox is still in his ear and Adams decides to recommit, unless of course, mother pulling strings is an actual obstacle, hopefully that is overblown and Brendan feels free to go where life takes him.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

TruePoint wrote:Tyrese Martin weighs in:

I think Tyrese has the right idea.
Love this!
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
OrangeRam
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OrangeRam »

I couldn't agree more in rounding this class out. Perfect fit on a heck of a class. I can see all these guys playing minutes this year. Brandon fills a big void on our roster.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I watched Cam Reddish in the Jordan Brand game yesterday. He is impressive. Tyrese held his own against him a few weeks back. That tells me something. Similar to when Fatts played against Quade Green last year and did the same.
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Billyboy78 wrote:

I watched Cam Reddish in the Jordan Brand game yesterday. He is impressive. Tyrese held his own against him a few weeks back. That tells me something. Similar to when Fatts played against Quade Green last year and did the same.
They looked to be on exactly the same level in that game.
Which makes me question, how could Tyrese not be at least top 100?
For all we know we may get. guy with the impact of a top 25 guy next year...
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Just look at Villanova this year and the rankings their players had as recruits. Outside the Top 10 it is a crap shoot. These players are slotted as 16 year olds. A lot of development can occur from 16 to 20 years old.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I agree with Rhody as some time ago I posted that only the top 20 were probably legitimate. All you have to do is take a look at MAL from the beloved Friars who was a 5* recruit who cannot make a jump shot, shot 52% on his free throws and shot 3 for 25 on 3 pointers. A 5*.......
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

eli#10 wrote:I agree with Rhody as some time ago I posted that only the top 20 were probably legitimate. All you have to do is take a look at MAL from the beloved Friars who was a 5* recruit who cannot make a jump shot, shot 52% on his free throws and shot 3 for 25 on 3 pointers. A 5*.......
I would take Fatts over MAL every day.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody83 wrote:
eli#10 wrote:I agree with Rhody as some time ago I posted that only the top 20 were probably legitimate. All you have to do is take a look at MAL from the beloved Friars who was a 5* recruit who cannot make a jump shot, shot 52% on his free throws and shot 3 for 25 on 3 pointers. A 5*.......
I would take Fatts over MAL every day.
People on this board called me crazy for saying that before the season started. Never doubt Fatts.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Am I the only one who finds it curiously interesting that Adams hasn't changed his twitter profile pic which shows him in a Rhody uniform? He hasn't unfollowed anyone connected with URI; staff, players, other recruits, or fans either.

Maybe that door is still open?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reckless jake wrote:Am I the only one who finds it curiously interesting that Adams hasn't changed his twitter profile pic which shows him in a Rhody uniform? He hasn't unfollowed anyone connected with URI; staff, players, other recruits, or fans either.

Mom grounded him from Twizzer.
1 x
reckless jake
ARD

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
reckless jake wrote:Am I the only one who finds it curiously interesting that Adams hasn't changed his twitter profile pic which shows him in a Rhody uniform? He hasn't unfollowed anyone connected with URI; staff, players, other recruits, or fans either.

Mom grounded him from Twizzer.
Nope, he just tweeted about 10/15 minutes ago, that's what caught my attention.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

A player's career lasts four years, not one --Hard to make a determination off of players over the course of one season.
Some guys obviously have more gifted athletic tools than others, but require more individual player development to achieve potentially greater results.
I would tell you it was very obvious that Fatts had a higher floor than MAL, but also has a lower ceiling.
If MAL hits his ceiling, he'll have been the better player.
It's also far from a guarantee that he hits that ceiling.
That's why when I assess recruiting rankings and their accuracy, you have to look at the four year cycle, not just a one year block.
The four year cycle would almost always tell you that the higher the ranking, the better the production.
But obviously studs and duds can come from anywhere in the list, you just have to wait and see how it plays out.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
A player's career lasts four years, not one --Hard to make a determination off of players over the course of one season.
Some guys obviously have more gifted athletic tools than others, but require more individual player development to achieve potentially greater results.
I would tell you it was very obvious that Fatts had a higher floor than MAL, but also has a lower ceiling.
That's why when I assess recruiting rankings and their accuracy, you have to look at the four year cycle, not just a one year block.
The four year cycle would almost always tell you that the higher the ranking, the better the production.
But obviously studs and duds can come from anywhere in the list, you just have to wait and see how it plays out.
all true.

but at the same time, if a player has a 5* rating its more than fair to expect a stud from day 1 and not a project
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:
all true.

but at the same time, if a player has a 5* rating its more than fair to expect a stud from day 1 and not a project
MAL was a 4*, not a 5*.
That said, point received. Usually with guards, there is not a high learning curve.
But look at someone like Ty Jerome (Virginia) -- goes from barely scoring 4 points, 2 assists as a freshman to 11 points, 4 assists as a sophomore.
Or Markell Johnson (NC St) -- goes from 4 points, 2 assists as a freshman to 9 points, 7 assists as a sophomore.
MAL happened to average 4 points, 2 assists last season.
He should be handed the key's to the position this year, without having an experienced upperclassmen in front of him.
He needs to take that step this year, like similar positioned players did the year prior.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Say he goes from 4 and 2, to 10 and 4.....

Fatts will be better than that next season. Points wise for sure.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote:Say he goes from 4 and 2, to 10 and 4.....

Fatts will be better than that next season. Points wise for sure.
Ok, sure. But it's about being a complete four year player. There are always going to be physical limitations and lost intangibles for a player who is 5'10, 165 lbs soaking wet, and not all of those can be made up with heart. MAL might never, ever put up the points that Fatts would, for various reasons. But are there other aspects of the game (intangibles) where he could potentially be a plus do to his size and length? Does the smaller player get worn down more by the physical grind of the season? You can tell me what you want about Fatts, while he did have an impact on the game defensively, he also struggled mightily on the offensive end for large chunks of this past season (specifically during A10 play).
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I will take Fatts on my time any day. But I'm going to hold off on crushing MAL at this point of his career, too. No reason to think he won't turn into a good player in the Big East. Will be fun to watch these guys battle for the next three years.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah Fatts had some great games and a whole bunch of games where he couldn't hit a shot.....freshman inconsistency for sure.

But at least he had those good games and especially most of those were against the better teams.

I expect him to shoot better overall as he gains experience. And have a great career for his 4 years here.

MAL may become a very good player by his junior or senior year. Like you said, how good, who knows.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:
all true.

MAL was a 4*, not a 5*.
That said, point received. Usually with guards, there is not a high learning curve.
But look at someone like Ty Jerome (Virginia) -- goes from barely scoring 4 points, 2 assists as a freshman to 11 points, 4 assists as a sophomore.
Or Markell Johnson (NC St) -- goes from 4 points, 2 assists as a freshman to 9 points, 7 assists as a sophomore.
MAL happened to average 4 points, 2 assists last season.
He should be handed the key's to the position this year, without having an experienced upperclassmen in front of him.
He needs to take that step this year, like similar positioned players did the year prior.
I don't know if Duke will start right away, but he's better than MAL.
0 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

Maybe you guys can discuss this outside the Brendan Adams thread?

signed,

People waiting to hear actual news about Brendan Adams
10 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I know of a couple big UConn fans that were unhappy when MAL decommitted and went to PC, but now aren't unhappy anymore after seeing him struggle this year.

Their thinking was, why add another player that can't shoot, they already have plenty of those.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

OK, I will clean this up when I can get to my computer, but for now can we hold off on the OT posts?
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Contenders: Connecticut, Xavier and more to be determined

Buzz: Adams signed with Rhode Island in the fall and just received his release on Tuesday. Given that former Rams coach Dan Hurley landed at UConn, the Huskies will likely figure into his new recruitment.

Predictions: UConn (Bossi, Evans), Xavier (McDonald)
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... -rivals150
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

He changed it. No longer in a Rhody uniform.
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Billyboy78 wrote:

He changed it. No longer in a Rhody uniform.
Yep, he changed his photo, I guess that answers my question. I saw a tweet from Corey Evans stating George Mason, Seton Hall, Xavier and UConn have contacted him since his release.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Hurley going after former URI recruits? I thought he intimated he wouldn't do that.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

If I'm being honest, I see a difference between UConn's staff going after players that are committed to URI and going after players that were formerly committed to URI. It is hard to know which it would actually be (whether Adams asked out at URI because of contact from UConn, or UConn only made contact after he asked out at URI), but I do think there is a difference.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Adams asked out because of UConn contacting him, and he DOES go to UConn....then that's totally unacceptable.

Of course we have Dan saying a while back that he told everyone to stay....you have to hope he was telling the truth....but how do you know?

So it depends on whether people are willing to give Dan the benefit of the doubt.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I don't think Adams goes to UConn. I honestly think Dan is after a higher level recruit than Brendan. He did not have a great senior year and hasn't progressed as expected. I've said this before. I think Amir Harris is a better prospect than Brendan Adams (admittedly from only what I've seen on tape). And I'm not saying this because Brendan just decommit. I said this in their threads last year.
3 x
reckless jake
ARD

rambone 78 wrote:If Adams asked out because of UConn contacting him, and he DOES go to UConn....then that's totally unacceptable.

Of course we have Dan saying a while back that he told everyone to stay....you have to hope he was telling the truth....but how do you know?

So it depends on whether people are willing to give Dan the benefit of the doubt.
It's like your best bud suddenly dating your ex-girlfriend, it doesn't matter how long ago she was your ex-girlfriend, he's still wrong.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote:So it depends on whether people are willing to give Dan the benefit of the doubt.
We did for six years. No more. His actions in the last few weeks have rendered much of what he said to be untruths.
5 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I am pretty sure DH encouraged our guys to stick...the 1 or 2 who were maybe on fence. Read between the lines as to who that could be, but DH did in fact encourage them to stay for Coach Cox.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rambone 78 wrote:If Adams asked out because of UConn contacting him, and he DOES go to UConn....then that's totally unacceptable.

Dan said a lot of things last year, and as we have learned in many cases did something different.
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

TruePoint wrote:If I'm being honest, I see a difference between UConn's staff going after players that are committed to URI and going after players that were formerly committed to URI. It is hard to know which it would actually be (whether Adams asked out at URI because of contact from UConn, or UConn only made contact after he asked out at URI), but I do think there is a difference.
I agree there's a difference and I actually do believe Dan when he said he wouldn't go after our players but I took that as he wouldn't immediately try to recruit them to UConn. If Adam's made it known to Hurley that he'd be interested in playing for UConn I don't really have an issue with Hurley going after him.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

A few thoughts on the recent post above.

Dan said he told all the recruits to stay (this infers it was after he told them he was leaving). Jermaine Harris’ coach came out after Dan’s presser and said they never heard from Dan Hurley. I believe Jermaine’s coach. Why would Thorr want Dan contacting URI’s signed recruits after he resigned.

In the sleezy business of recruiting you are going to attempt to determine if someone with UCONN’s interest in mind talked to Adams before he requsted his release late last week? Please, you are never going to determine that. Dan saying he wouldn’t go after URI players and signed recruits means NEVER. It doesn’t mean until they get their release.

Why is Dan interested in a 3 star recruits whose stock dropped in his Senior year. Dan’s top three returning scorers are guards and the top recruit from last year that played well is a PG.

Rumor is that Dan has told people he is shocked by how low the talent level is on his existing roster.

If Dan left so he could recruit at a higher level, why is he going after the same recruits? He would recruit over Brendan within the next two years.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Have another happy rebuild Dan. Why should he be shocked? They sucked last year.....
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I believe Jermaine's coach, too. Can't deny what Dan did, or does. Can't really place much stock in what he says, said, or said he said...

ETA: Probably doesn't make him much different from most coaches...
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Rhody83 wrote:A few thoughts on the recent post above.

Dan said he told all the recruits to stay (this infers it was after he told them he was leaving). Jermaine Harris’ coach came out after Dan’s presser and said they never heard from Dan Hurley. I believe Jermaine’s coach. Why would Thorr want Dan contacting URI’s signed recruits after he resigned.

In the sleezy business of recruiting you are going to attempt to determine if someone with UCONN’s interest in mind talked to Adams before he requsted his release late last week? Please, you are never going to determine that. Dan saying he wouldn’t go after URI players and signed recruits means NEVER. It doesn’t mean until they get their release.
And we're never going to determine when Adam's actually asked for his release but I think the idea that Adam's asked for it prior to Cox being hired makes a lot of sense. Also how do you know Dan saying he wouldn't go after URI players and signed recruits means never? So if Fatts all of a sudden decided he doesn't want to play for us anymore Dan shouldn't go after him? That makes no sense. If someone decides they no longer want to play for URI there is absolutely no reason why Dan shouldn't go after them he thinks they'd help UConn.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Not sure that coachspeak is truly much more reliable than golocal....sure, you know who's saying it, but that doesn't make it any more true.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody83 wrote:Rumor is that Dan has told people he is shocked by how low the talent level is on his existing roster.
They went 7-11 last year in the American and got blown out in multiple games, what did he expect to be walking into? Everyone knows UConn sucks.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote:I am pretty sure DH encouraged our guys to stick...the 1 or 2 who were maybe on fence. Read between the lines as to who that could be, but DH did in fact encourage them to stay for Coach Cox.
Yep. And once a coach is no longer at a school, you really want him calling the kids he previously signed? You want Jermaine’s coach saying Hurley did call him? Of course not. Dan and Dave talked a lot. That’s where the communication should be. It’s also kind of messed up that some people don’t think recruits, who have never set foot on campus, should no longer have free will regarding where and with whom they’ll spend their next four years. I also like how some people like supportive, involved parents until they don’t. Brendan, like his brother before him, signed up for a situation that is/was no longer the case.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

josephski wrote:

And we're never going to determine when Adam's actually asked for his release but I think the idea that Adam's asked for it prior to Cox being hired makes a lot of sense. Also how do you know Dan saying he woulydn't go after URI players and signed recruits means never? So if Fatts all of a sudden decided he doesn't want to play for us anymore Dan shouldn't go after him? That makes no sense. If someone decides they no longer want to play for URI there is absolutely no reason why Dan shouldn't go after them he thinks they'd help UConn.
It is usually pretty easy to determine when a recruit asks for his release. It is on Twitter that day.

Not going after URI recruits and players before they are granted a release is an NCAA violation. So you are saying Dan’s big public commitment was to not violate NCAA rules - what a sacrifice. I have to assume he was committing to more than not breaking NCAA rules.

Dan cares about his legacy and image at URI. If Fatts transferred to UCONN, Dan would be hated by URI fans forever. Even if it occurred under the scenario you painted, no one would forgive him. Fans would point to his comments about what he was going to accomplish with Fatts over the next three years and the embrace/comments he had with Fatts when he came out of the Duke game.
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

If Dan cared about his legacy and image at URI (which to me is similar to Skinner’s legacy), he would’ve stayed. I think it’s that he genuinely wants Cox to succeed because taking a few URI players with him to UConn wouldn’t tarnish his national or overall image and legacy. I.e. No one outside of Wagner viewed Hurley in a lesser light when Aamen came here.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
josephski wrote:

And we're never going to determine when Adam's actually asked for his release but I think the idea that Adam's asked for it prior to Cox being hired makes a lot of sense. Also how do you know Dan saying he woulydn't go after URI players and signed recruits means never? So if Fatts all of a sudden decided he doesn't want to play for us anymore Dan shouldn't go after him? That makes no sense. If someone decides they no longer want to play for URI there is absolutely no reason why Dan shouldn't go after them he thinks they'd help UConn.
It is usually pretty easy to determine when a recruit asks for his release. It is on Twitter that day.

Not going after URI recruits and players before they are granted a release is an NCAA violation. So you are saying Dan’s big public commitment was to not violate NCAA rules - what a sacrifice. I have to assume he was committing to more than not breaking NCAA rules.

Dan cares about his legacy and image at URI. If Fatts transferred to UCONN, Dan would be hated by URI fans forever. Even if it occurred under the scenario you painted, no one would forgive him. Fans would point to his comments about what he was going to accomplish with Fatts over the next three years and the embrace/comments he had with Fatts when he came out of the Duke game.
I'm sorry, and maybe it's the Founders All Day kicking in, but this is such bs...DH would would be pumped out of his freekn mind to have Fatts at UConn... let's just stop trying to say that he's such a good guy that he would never ever ever want any of Rhody's players to leave good ol' Rhody.... aye yi yi yi....it's a business to that guy, and it should be - that's why he's good at it. If the sitch were reversed, we'd want our coach to treat it like a business, too...good grief... let's stop tryin to fool people into thinking this is the good neighbor game.
4 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

UConn, Xavier and Seton Hall recruiting Adams
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Official release Tuesday. Visiting UCONN Friday.
Dan doesn’t care what URI fans think of him anymore.

It is acceptable that this happens. It is not acceptable when the coach says he isn’t going after any URI recruits.
Would have to say in the real meaning of that Dan lied.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:Official release Tuesday. Visiting UCONN Friday.
Dan doesn’t care what URI fans think of him anymore.

It is acceptable that this happens. It is not acceptable when the coach says he isn’t going after any URI recruits.
Would have to say in the real meaning of that Dan lied.
Things happen quickly at UConn....
0 x