'18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (UConn)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (UConn Commit)

Unread post by rambone 78 »

There will always be doubt as to whether the chicken or the egg came first.

Only Brenden and likely his mom know for sure. The statement "UConn was too much to turn down" sounds to me like someone from UConn contacted Adams while he was still committed to URI.

Fortunately Fatts did turn them down. And that was a slimeball move.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

At first, what, exactly? He asked for his release like eight minutes after Cox was named head coach.

I feel like I want to just not hear anything anyone says. The facts are fine, I don’t have a problem with more or less anything that’s gone on, it’s just the blatant bullshit that people say that is tiresome.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'm just saying we don't know the timeline of what happened. Brenden's announcement was timed so as to not undermine Cox....probably was arranged.

UConn could have very well contacted Adams soon after Hurley was hired, and long before Cox got the job. Or, Adams could have contacted them himself.

Anyway, it's over with....time to look ahead at some positive shit......
5 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote:I'm just saying we don't know the timeline of what happened. Brenden's announcement was timed so as to not undermine Cox....probably was arranged.

UConn could have very well contacted Adams soon after Hurley was hired, and long before Cox got the job.

You could easily read into Brendan’s commrnt the following scenario: Cox met with him after Hurley left and Brendan was going to stay at URI. Then someone from UCONN contacted him before the presser announcing Cox as HC and convince him to chsnged to UCONN. UCONN then laid out the steps/timeline based on the recruiting requirements for contact, visits and commitment. His actions with UCONN are within a day of all three required dates.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams

Unread post by McRam »

TruePoint wrote:
McRam wrote:Obviously, since he is taking a visit this weekend to uconn, he will likely sign on Monday, which is start of LOI date

Of course, I do not have all the facts, but it sure looks as if this is SHAME on Dooley and Bjorn.

Hurley has a contract with URI, he wants to break it, there is a negotiation

sounds simple to me, terms are you cannot signt any of our current players or LOI signees, plus X money

or Uconn says we will can recruit signees and we will pay you X+Y dollars. Bet anything this is what happened or we are just incompetent negotiators (which I do not believe)

Essentially URI got cash for the rights to Adams!!!!!!
You don’t have any idea what you’re talking about. No school is holding any player hostage as part of a contract negotiation with a coach. That’s not the way this works. And on this case the amount UConn/Dan were going to pay was predetermined by Dan’s contract. Even if it weren’t, I’ve never heard of a school using an individual player who hasn’t even enrolled yet as a negotiating chip in this type of situation, which occurs all over the sport every single year. And I hope I never do, because that is not the role of an educational institution with respect to a student.
True Point, As I said "I do not have all the facts"; I did not know that there was a predertimed 1.25 M buyout. That of course, takes away all leverage with any of the existing players-
BUT, HOLDING HOSTAGE" The whole purpose of an LOI is that it is a two way street, Player commits, has it in his pocket and the school stops recruiting for the position. I don't think it is called a maybe LOI. That would be a verbal commitment. The NCAA says an LOI is a contract- so now everyone wins except us- we stop recruiting for Adams position and because of timing the pickins are much slimmer----

There should be some kind of penalty for the kids that play the game this way and break a commitment.
And just maybe it should be the same penalty as transferring.
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Forget this kid, family would be an issue as time went on. Everyone talks about his older brother becoming an NBA player... GTFHO, his brother wasn’t better than JT nor is he a true NBA prospect. Sure he’ll get an invite to a training camp maybe if he’s lucky he’ll be a very late 2nd rounder, but Brendan isn’t better than Fatts, Christion, and he sure isn’t better than Jefe!

Let’s move on people.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:I'm just saying we don't know the timeline of what happened. Brenden's announcement was timed so as to not undermine Cox....probably was arranged.

UConn could have very well contacted Adams soon after Hurley was hired, and long before Cox got the job.

You could easily read into Brendan’s commrnt the following scenario: Cox met with him after Hurley left and Brendan was going to stay at URI. Then someone from UCONN contacted him before the presser announcing Cox as HC and convince him to chsnged to UCONN. UCONN then laid out the steps/timeline based on the recruiting requirements for contact, visits and commitment. His actions with UCONN are within a day of all three required dates.
You definitely can read that into his comments. I guess my point is that I’m tired of reading into comments. There could also be this scenario: Hurley took the UConn job and Brendan and his mother reached out to Dan to see if he’d have any room for them there, the process plays out, he commits to UConn, then he gets interviewed and says “at first I was going to stay at URI but I couldn’t say no to UConn” because...IDK, he thinks it sounds good for UConn fans or because he’s a kid and he’s being interviewed and he just says whatever pops into his head. Whatever the case, I’m tired of hearing from people. I don’t care if he wanted to stay with URI at first or not - he didn’t so bye Felicia good luck at UConn.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Let's hope Brendan doesn't get all conference over there.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

It’s on!

Kinda surprised y’all mostly just rollin over on this one....

Dirty Dawgs!!!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Christian Vital announces he'll return to UConn, joining Jalen Adams. Word is that Gilbert is finally healthy. And then there's transfer Tarin Smith. Seems to me that Brendan Adams is the fifth guard. And that's really before Hurley has done any recruiting. Not wishing him anything but success, but not sure this was a great move. Time will tell.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Iggy1979 wrote:Christian Vital announces he'll return to UConn, joining Jalen Adams. Word is that Gilbert is finally healthy. And then there's transfer Tarin Smith. Seems to me that Brendan Adams is the fifth guard. And that's really before Hurley has done any recruiting. Not wishing him anything but success, but not sure this was a great move. Time will tell.

Sadly, my guess is his longevity there is 2 season's-- tops. He and his Mom made a huge mistake with the decision to de-commit from URI and follow Hurley to UConn. They wanted the "big time" and they got it.

Besides, Omar Silverio's work habits have grown on me. He's driven and hungry for success.
Last edited by reckless jake 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

His mom is going to be pissed.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reckless jake wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:Christian Vital announces he'll return to UConn, joining Jalen Adams. Word is that Gilbert is finally healthy. And then there's transfer Tarin Smith. Seems to me that Brendan Adams is the fifth guard. And that's really before Hurley has done any recruiting. Not wishing him anything but success, but not sure this was a great move. Time will tell.

Sadly, my guess is his longevity there is 2 season's-- tops. He and his Mom made a huge mistake with the decision to de-commit from URI and follow Hurley to UConn. They wanted the "big time" and they got it.

Besides, Omar Silverio's work habits have grown on me. He's driven and hungry for success.
Omar is a better outside shooter too which is what Rhody needs.
Brendan will be recruited over by Dan next year.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:His mom is going to be pissed.
I think I liked Brendan more as a player than almost everyone here, but if there is one thing that I honestly am glad for about his going to UConn it’s that I don’t have to hear from and about his mom for the next four years. I don’t doubt that she has Brendan’s best interests at heart, but this kind of sports parent wears on me. I remember when everyone was fawning all over Eli Apple’s annoying mother before the NFL Draft. These are like slightly saner versions of Lorenzo Ball or whatever that idiot’s name is.

I respect being an active person in your kid’s life but at the end of the day, it isn’t about you. Nobody really needs your blogs and your media spots. My personal feeling is that I’m glad my parents were there for me with support and advice when I asked for it, but I would resent my parents if they thought they could make decisions for me and I’d be annoyed by them if they chased the attention. Real parenting happens behind the scenes. Performative parenting happens in public.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What's the UConn board takes on this ?? They want Adams gone ??
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I hope Brendan finds happiness.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The transfer process, should it occur as many suspect, will not be an issue for the Adams family. It has extensive experience in breaking commitments and the vetting/selecting of schools.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Frank Martin's press conference about the parental culture in youth basketball is must watch TV. Puts them all on blast.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

It's terrible, I go to see my niece in a 14 and under girls hockey game and there's always some parent berating their own kid from the stands. Get a life lady! I went to HS with a nice kid who had a dad that did the same, he was at every game and practice every single one, he yelled or moaned about every single mistake or questionable decision, coaches were to intimidated to kick him out of practice, the kid had a softball sized grey patch in his hair by the time we graduated high school.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I'm not saying that's how Adam's mom is, I'm responding to the Frank Martins take on over-zealous parents.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (UConn)

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Hurley didn’t wait long to recruit over Brendan Adams. First two ‘19 commits are a PG and SG who he is selling as the players to turn the program around.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Not so sure its recruiting over as it is building a roster, as we know Dan likes to play guards...if Adams can play he will get PT, if he can't he won't.
We went 5-6 guards deep last year.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Hurley didn’t wait long to recruit over Brendan Adams. First two ‘19 commits are a PG and SG who he is selling as the players to turn the program around.
So in your opinion should college coaches only recruit one guard every 4 years? Was Cox recruiting over Tyrese and Omar by going after Bishop?
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

His mom must be pissed...
1 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Hurley didn’t wait long to recruit over Brendan Adams. First two ‘19 commits are a PG and SG who he is selling as the players to turn the program around.
So in your opinion should college coaches only recruit one guard every 4 years? Was Cox recruiting over Tyrese and Omar by going after Bishop?
Even if you only run a 3 guard lineup for 50% of each game (and we know DH loves guards), that's still 100 minutes to split between guards.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I don't think we're questioning Dan's decision to recruit guards better than Adams. I think we're questioning Adams' decision go to UCONN.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Agreeing with 78s point.
I understand the 3G minutes but UCONN has four SFs on their roster returning next year and are recruiting one of the top SF this year in Precious. Their returning guards for next year are 6’0”, 6’2” & Adams at 6’3”. Their recruits are Gaffney 6’2” & Bouknight 6’4”. All three returners are really PGs and so is Gaffney. Not a lot of height to play the three. Hurley could be counting on one of the Jr’s (Gilbert & Vital) leaving after this year.

He is typically loyal to his recruits (as are most coaches) but Gilbert was a McDonalds All American I believe.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'll ask the same question again then, should we be questioning Omar and Tyrese's decision to come to URI since Cox still recruited Bishop?
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago I'll ask the same question again then, should we be questioning Omar and Tyrese's decision to come to URI since Cox still recruited Bishop?
You can if you want. Tyrese is not a Guard. He is a 6’6” Forward. Omar was not rated nationally. Brendan Adams was a Top 150 recruit. Those are some of the differences.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
adam914 wrote: 5 years ago I'll ask the same question again then, should we be questioning Omar and Tyrese's decision to come to URI since Cox still recruited Bishop?
You can if you want. Tyrese is not a Guard. He is a 6’6” Forward. Omar was not rated nationally. Brendan Adams was a Top 150 recruit. Those are some of the differences.
I don't want to at all, and I'm not. Just asking if you would apply your same logic in the UConn situation to the URI situation. But sounds like you wouldn't (for reasons that make no sense other than you want to be bitter about Hurley leaving).
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
The way basketball is played today does it really matter on positions? Martin will be used as both a shooting guard and small forward depending upon what is the best lineup in terms of talent on our team. All the talk about not going after a kid because they already signed someone else at that position is a joke. College teams take the best talent. If Kansas signs one power forward and determine that Walker is the next best talent they will get him as well. The only position that might be a little different is the center position.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I guess we'll just have to see who gets more minutes in their respective Junior seasons (assuming they're all still at the same schools) among Martin, Omar and Adams. My guess is that Adams will be buried and Omar and Martin will be getting steady and significant minutes, respectively. Adams essentially could have been Omar here, so that comparison will be more interesting to watch.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago I guess we'll just have to see who gets more minutes in their respective Junior seasons (assuming they're all still at the same schools) among Martin, Omar and Adams. My guess is that Adams will be buried and Omar and Martin will be getting steady and significant minutes, respectively. Adams essentially could have been Omar here, so that comparison will be more interesting to watch.
I’m glad we have Silverio over Adams now and that isn’t just sour grapes. Silverio is a much better shooter than Adams and seems like a better kid.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

My point is, with Dan expecting to go after a higher level of recruit, I don't think Adams is good enough to play at UConn. That's all. He can go wherever he wants. We'll see.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RamStock wrote: I’m glad we have Silverio over Adams now and that isn’t just sour grapes. Silverio is a much better shooter than Adams and seems like a better kid.
A better kid? What makes you say that?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

As for recruiting over, I’ll just copy what I wrote the last time 83 brought it up.
ace wrote: You’ve said this twice now about Adams, and it makes little sense to me. UConn has 5 guards on this year’s roster. They lose two guards for sure (Adams, Smith) and could lose more (Vital tested the waters once before, Gilbert could take advantage of a healthy season and see what it gets him). That leaves just Adams. Of course UConn is recruiting guards, and the higher ranked the better. That’s not recruiting over, that’s filling out your roster. I don’t know what his role will look like moving forward, but you’re being rather hyperbolic with the “recruiting over” talk. They have, at minimum, five roster spots to fill for 2019.
And praising a parent’s involvement when the guy is one of yours and mocking it when he isn’t is not a great look.
4 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I didn’t mention a parent’s involvement above. I assuming your comment is to 78.

Ramstock, if you don’t think recruits look at the players that are on the roster at their position and recruits who have committed at their position, you are clueless.

Also, as much as everyone wants to talk about positionless basketball you need players to have the height and size to cover the opponent. Rhody’s lineup with Stan at the 4 is not the blueprint for the future. Rhody was exposed many times on defense and limited offensively down low.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Twas I. Yolanda was VERY involved, which, by the way, is fine.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I didn’t mention a parent’s involvement above. I assuming your comment is to 78.

Ramstock, if you don’t think recruits look at the players that are on the roster at their position and recruits who have committed at their position, you are clueless.

Also, as much as everyone wants to talk about positionless basketball you need players to have the height and size to cover the opponent. Rhody’s lineup with Stan at the 4 is not the blueprint for the future. Rhody was exposed many times on defense and limited offensively down low.
Rhody83-sure i’m Clueless because you know all on what the recruits are thinking. I never said that they don’t follow who is on the teams roster in terms of playing time, but made the point that just because Kansas signs a power forward doesn’t mean that Walker wouldn’t still commit there. Your philosophy is oh a shooting guard just committed to school A that means that both the other shooting guard they were looking at and the school will no longer be a fit. This is a backwards way of thinking. I guess Walker won’t want to come here because we have Harris. How about Walker plays the three?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I will say that I like Adams as a player and would love to have him at URI. He has the potential to explode like his brother. The point in the post above about if he produces he will get PT. I truly believe that with Dan.

I think Gaffney and Bouknight are good. I don’t think they are as great as UConn fans think.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I'm with Ace......we don't know if Adams is a bad kid......just because he de-committed from Rhody and followed Dan Hurley?

We like to think our players are good, honorable kids but we really don't know much about them that they don't want us to know....
4 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Please don’t try to paraphrase what I have said shortly after you post that Silverio “is a better kid” than Adams.

Your rant about Walker in the Adams thread makes sense. Go back and read my post that says “Kansas could take two PFs”.

There are people on the Board that know more than me about college basketball recruiting. I am confident that you are not one of them.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

It's probably a good time to end this discussion and lock the thread.
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Please don’t try to paraphrase what I have said shortly after you post that Silverio “is a better kid” than Adams.

Your rant about Walker in the Adams thread makes sense. Go back and read my post that says “Kansas could take two PFs”.

There are people on the Board that know more than me about college basketball recruiting. I am confident that you are not one of them.
I’ll voice my opinions any way I would like. First off on the Silverio comment I feel like that he is appreciative of everything he has and he seems to be a good kid. I have met him one time, obviously a very small sample size. I have a friend that has a daughter that goes to Uconn and knows Adams. That is all I will say on that-nothing earth shattering.

I’m not sure you need to get so defensive because my point is that teams will take the best talent and figure out how to put all the pieces together afterwards. Talent and height usually win out. I agree that recruits look to see what will be available for playing time and in many cases schools will fill them in on a plan. A school obviously foesn’t want three starter quality point guards unless they can move one to shooting guard or they have flexible on where they play.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago I'm with Ace......we don't know if Adams is a bad kid......just because he de-committed from Rhody and followed Dan Hurley?

We like to think our players are good, honorable kids but we really don't know much about them that they don't want us to know....
These are fair statements by both of you. We really don’t know most of these kids and what they are like. I don’t know either enough to make a statement on it.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

From article in CT paper tonight:
While Gaffney expects to play both guard positions this season for Westtown, he sees his future as a point guard.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I hold no ill will towards Adams but I think he made a mistake following Hurley. His minutes went down to 10 yesterday against Florida, and that's with Bouknight not playing yet. He better hope Hurley doesn't land one of the top 100 guards he's recruiting.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago I hold no ill will towards Adams but I think he made a mistake following Hurley. His minutes went down to 10 yesterday against Florida, and that's with Bouknight not playing yet. He better hope Hurley doesn't land one of the top 100 guards he's recruiting.
Grass isn’t always greener!

He will transfer after the season. I think we take another look at him too.
1 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

If he came here and played the way he's played there, we'd be trying to recruit over him too.
0 x