'18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (UConn)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (UConn)

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago If he came here and played the way he's played there, we'd be trying to recruit over him too.
But he would be the first guard off the bench at URI.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He hasn’t played bad, he just isn’t better than who is front of him. He’d start next year, here.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I've said it many times. Brendan isn't anywhere near the player that his brother is. Not even close.
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago
URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago If he came here and played the way he's played there, we'd be trying to recruit over him too.
But he would be the first guard off the bench at URI.
Because Sheppard isn't eligible and we would totally be looking for an upgrade. His career FG% is 32, 3FG% is 25, he has 25 assists in 440 minutes. I get he verballed signed here but out of all of the guys we came close but missed out on, not sure why he's the board's long lost love.
Last edited by URIRecruitingInfo 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Another guard that shoots 25% from 3 is exactly what this team needs. ;)
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

The combination of Adams leaving, Silverio not working out and Sheppard being ineligible has left the team dangerously thin at guard. If one of those three things didn't happen I'd feel a lot better about URI's chances.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I wouldn’t use a scholarship on Adams as a transfer. He would have to sit a year.
I think Hammond has more potential than Adams.
He bulked up so much in the offseason he looks like w weightlifter.
Don’t forget the baggage (mother) that comes with that.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I really think we dodged a bullet with him. I was totally turned off my his mother calling herself the “First Lady of the A10”. I could envision a Levar Ball situation or MAL where she inserted herself into his playing time, or lack thereof etc.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

The player should pick a school with input from parents, not the other way around.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago The player should pick a school with input from parents, not the other way around.
Totally agree. Normally I think it’s nice when parents are involved and supportive and their kid’s biggest supporter. But when the parent wants to be the show, that’s a problem. It’s a problem for fans and the coaches, but mostly I think ultimately it has to be a problem for the player eventually. It’s a situation I’d stay away from. If you go back in this thread, I’m on record with that (although I admit I was a fan of Adams as a player).
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago The player should pick a school with input from parents, not the other way around.
Totally agree. Normally I think it’s nice when parents are involved and supportive and their kid’s biggest supporter. But when the parent wants to be the show, that’s a problem. It’s a problem for fans and the coaches, but mostly I think ultimately it has to be a problem for the player eventually. It’s a situation I’d stay away from. If you go back in this thread, I’m on record with that (although I admit I was a fan of Adams as a player).
I've been to 2 of UConn's game this year, Brendan is a nice player but not a difference maker, not sure he's what this team needs, I think in retrospect it was a good thing that he followed Dan to UConn, he's like a Christion Thompson type player, but with a better attitude.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I agree. In retrospect I think I saw him developing into his brother.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Shinze88 wrote: 4 years ago
I've been to 2 of UConn's game this year, Brendan is a nice player but not a difference maker, not sure he's what this team needs, I think in retrospect it was a good thing that he followed Dan to UConn, he's like a Christion Thompson type player, but with a better attitude.
Did you think CT had a bad attitude? I thought he was a great kid that had some set backs and never really got back into his groove. He never displayed a bad attitude that I could discern.
2 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago

Did you think CT had a bad attitude? I thought he was a great kid that had some set backs and never really got back into his groove. He never displayed a bad attitude that I could discern.
Bad attitude might have been a poor choice of words, I think it was more the look of displeasure he played with, especially when he lost his starting job to Tyrese. He just never seemed to be enjoying himself during his time here. I do see Adams following a similar path as CT with a likely transfer in his UConn future.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago

Bad attitude might have been a poor choice of words, I think it was more the look of displeasure he played with, especially when he lost his starting job to Tyrese. He just never seemed to be enjoying himself during his time here. I do see Adams following a similar path as CT with a likely transfer in his UConn future.
Players this year have eluded to better chemistry. It has come out that CT negatively impacted the chemistry last year after losing his starting job.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago I hold no ill will towards Adams but I think he made a mistake following Hurley. His minutes went down to 10 yesterday against Florida, and that's with Bouknight not playing yet. He better hope Hurley doesn't land one of the top 100 guards he's recruiting.
They got top 100 Andre Jackson, a wing/guard type. They lose Vital and Gilbert, but Adams would still be behind Gaffney, Bouknight, Cole, and Jackson. He’s by all accounts a great guy, wonderful competitor, but this is his season to show if he can get minutes at that level or not.

There was a lot going wrong with chemistry last year- not fair to make it all about Christion.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Adams with a huge game tonight maybe he does have a future at UConn ???
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

The more I see Adams play, the more confident I am that we dodged a bullet. He is totally inconsistent and tends to look lost at times. Other than a few breakout games, he’s been pretty mediocre.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago The more I see Adams play, the more confident I am that we dodged a bullet. He is totally inconsistent and tends to look lost at times. Other than a few breakout games, he’s been pretty mediocre.
He might ask you to post this before every game he plays! :lol:

16 points off the bench so far with 4 threes and 4 boards. Just hit a big 3 with about 4 minutes left to take the lead.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago The more I see Adams play, the more confident I am that we dodged a bullet. He is totally inconsistent and tends to look lost at times. Other than a few breakout games, he’s been pretty mediocre.
He might ask you to post this before every game he plays! :lol:

16 points off the bench so far with 4 threes and 4 boards. Just hit a big 3 with about 4 minutes left to take the lead.
Exactly what I was thinking 🤔
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Dodged a bullet? What a strange comment to make, especially with the guard turnover on the roster. He’s averaging 7 points in 20 minutes off the bench. He’s a TJ type- incredible work ethic, great teammate. He often gets the tough defensive assignments, at least for parts of the game. It’s irrelevant now, but since it was brought up, he would have been very good as a Ram.
5 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agreed ^^
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

ace wrote: 4 years ago Dodged a bullet? What a strange comment to make, especially with the guard turnover on the roster. He’s averaging 7 points in 20 minutes off the bench. He’s a TJ type- incredible work ethic, great teammate. He often gets the tough defensive assignments, at least for parts of the game. It’s irrelevant now, but since it was brought up, he would have been very good as a Ram.
Hey, let’s dissect some old comments of mine. Have at it.

Watched every televised UConn game this season and found him to be lackluster. I posted that comment right before the game that he had an incredibly stellar performance. I would expect to see him getting more play time and seeing less fouls.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I wasn't that big on him when we were recruiting him, but we sure could use him now.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I wasn't that big on him when we were recruiting him, but we sure could use him now.
He has produced the last 3 games, but if you look at his overall stats, he has been very unpredictable. Also gets some quick and foolish fouls.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Xavier must be saying the same thing with Harris then...
0 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I have seen him a few times and most times I have liked his game

He will produce for DH in his last 2 years there
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

This year we certainly could use another guy who can handle the ball and give us 7pts in 20 minutes shooting 41%.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Is he quick enough to play Fatts/Dowtin defense ? If he can't, he would not really fit in.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Adams is very effective on defensive end of the floor. But are you saying Jeff and Fatts have equal quickness? No one is as quick as Fatts, certainly not Jeff. Jeff’s effectiveness on D is because he studies film and tendencies, he’s long, and he plays position defense. Nothing to do with his quickness.
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Adams graduating from UConn with an Economics degree in just 3 years. Being honored at Senior Night...where will he go from there?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago Adams graduating from UConn with an Economics degree in just 3 years. Being honored at Senior Night...where will he go from there?
Guessing he will go to an A10 level conference.

Not a Big East level player in my opinion, only went with Hurley because he needed players.

Imagine he comes here! :lol: :lol: :lol:

We do need guards...
1 x
Go Rhody
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago Adams graduating from UConn with an Economics degree in just 3 years. Being honored at Senior Night...where will he go from there?

Not a Big East level player in my opinion, only went with Hurley because he needed players.

We do need guards...
I do not think I could take his mother for 2 years...do you remember she was quoted saying she "was the First Lady of the A10"?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago

We do need guards...
I do not think I could take his mother for 2 years...do you remember she was quoted saying she "was the First Lady of the A10"?
Think he’d stay 2? He’s played 3 full years, I’m guessing he’d play one season.

I do remember people saying his mom could be an issue, but I never look too much into that. Parents are their kids’ biggest cheerleaders, they’re supposed to be bias for all for their kids.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would be for it we do need a guard have plenty of playing time available and he knows the staff !!
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Sounds like his mom and Mitchells' mom would get along well.

Or completely hate each other. Either way I'd love him here. If nothing else, we could make make a show out of the moms. Real Housewives of South County.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago Sounds like his mom and Mitchells' mom would get along well.

Or completely hate each other. Either way I'd love him here. If nothing else, we could make make a show out of the moms. Real Housewives of South County.
Mitchell’s mom is a fan of the program and a cheerleader for her boys. I respect that. She seems very glad her boys are at URI.

No comparison to Adams mom who struck me as a bit of a Mommy Dearest. Who appeared to think Adams was doing a favor to URI, and that we should be glad he was doing us that favor.

I guess I was put out by her statement that she was the First Lady of the A10....what kind of humility is that?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

We do need guards...
He can also opt to finish out his eligibility at UConn if he still wants to play there.

We do need guards, but more important ones that can shoot. Adam is more of the athletic type (which we have plenty of) not considered much of an outside threat, shooting is the weakest part of his game.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Hurley recognized Brendan as an important piece of getting the program back. Brendan contributed- he got some spot starts when needed and directly helped them win some games. His role diminished as the talent they brought in got better, but he remained a hard worker and a great teammate. I’m not sure why anyone’s trying to create some negative narrative about him or his family. UConn’s been very happy to have them as part of the family the past three years. Dan got win #200 yesterday, and Brendan presented him with the game ball. He got in for a few minutes yesterday- they designed a play for him, but he gave it up so Springs could get his first college points. Graduated in three years while playing basketball- he’s a selfless and driven young man, and the future is bright for Brendan.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We have a lot of playing time to offer if that’s what he is looking for if he wants to play another season
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I say yes to another defensive minded guard - get back to what made us good.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

ace wrote: 3 years ago Hurley recognized Brendan as an important piece of getting the program back. Brendan contributed- he got some spot starts when needed and directly helped them win some games. His role diminished as the talent they brought in got better, but he remained a hard worker and a great teammate. I’m not sure why anyone’s trying to create some negative narrative about him or his family. UConn’s been very happy to have them as part of the family the past three years. Dan got win #200 yesterday, and Brendan presented him with the game ball. He got in for a few minutes yesterday- they designed a play for him, but he gave it up so Springs could get his first college points. Graduated in three years while playing basketball- he’s a selfless and driven young man, and the future is bright for Brendan.
I don't want to speak for everyone else, but I don't think anyone is trying to be negative about Brendan or his family (mom), just silly banter. I'm sure every single one of us would love for him to come to URI. He would have an immediate impact on our team. I doubt he wants to come here as I think we are viewed as a "little brother" school. Could see him getting playing time at another mid to bottom level P5 (maybe BC under a new regime?)
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The situation with Adams is emblematic of the relationship and buy in Dan builds with his players. Here is a kid who was loyal to Dan and went with him to Uconn...never was much more than a role player and was relied upon more in his early year than of late. As the talent in the program has improved he has slid down the rotation. Easily a kid who could have felt burned or been a cancer to the team...Nope, he's the one giving Dan the game ball for win 200. And obviously they came to a mutual agreement that he be honored on senior night and find another home for his senior year where he can get a lot of PT. A lot of coaches throw around the 'culture' word and don't deliver on it in a tangible way... but that is it in a nutshell.

That said, was not overly impressed with his play on the court, and wouldn't be all that interested in pursuing him to fill our needs. There will be a smorgasbord of players available.
5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Every coach talks about culture. Dan actually accomplishes building it
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Enters the transfer portal. Two years of eligibility left....
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Very athletic, but not considered a good shooter (30% FG). Not really excited about getting involved again, prefer others.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Just as was predicted by many three years ago.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with the Bonnies where his brother starred.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with the Bonnies where his brother starred.
They could probably use him. If there's one thing they struggle with its depth.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I kind of liked his game when he was in UConn rotation last year. Would like the VMI guard hopefully
0 x