'18 MD PG - Amir Harris (Nebraska --> GW)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: '18 MD PG - Amir Harris (Nebraska)

Unread post by ace »

My standards for keeping an athletic scholarship would be based on keeping up in the classroom, putting in the work, and being coachable and a good teammate. It would have nothing to do with game stats. You do all that and don’t perform, then that was a recruiting mistake by the staff, IMO, and they should have to handle it.
8 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Ace if that's your take then every missed basket is on the coach.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Ace if that's your take then every missed basket is on the coach.
I literally don’t understand what this means.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago There’s technically a “run off” clause that would let players be immediately eligible at their new school, but it doesn’t seem to really be a thing that happens too much. I’m for things that give players more agency, and I differentiate between before and after guys step on campus. If they’ve handled themselves well as a student and teammate, I don’t think they should be pushed out. Coaches generally know what the roster situation is when they accept a new job.
The problem is these coaches are under tremendous pressure to turn a program around and win. If they don’t in 4 years, they often get fired. I can see your points if the current head coach recruited the player. If the new coach doesn’t think Harris is a D1 player at the P5 level, you can’t make him eat that scholarship for 3 more years. Harris should be able transfer to any school and be immediately eligible without have to file a request.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
ace wrote: 5 years ago There’s technically a “run off” clause that would let players be immediately eligible at their new school, but it doesn’t seem to really be a thing that happens too much. I’m for things that give players more agency, and I differentiate between before and after guys step on campus. If they’ve handled themselves well as a student and teammate, I don’t think they should be pushed out. Coaches generally know what the roster situation is when they accept a new job.
The problem is these coaches are under tremendous pressure to turn a program around and win. If they don’t in 4 years, they often get fired. I can see your points if the current head coach recruited the player. If the new coach doesn’t think Harris is a D1 player at the P5 level, you can’t make him eat that scholarship for 3 more years. Harris should be able transfer to any school and be immediately eligible without have to file a request.
This is one of those cases where I don’t necessarily disagree with what you’re saying, but in the end, I just have a different conclusion- basically, it may not be fair to a new coach but yeah, you might have to just deal with an under utilized roster spot or two. It sucks for a new coach to have that. It definitely does. All coaches have those conversations about expected playing time going forward, and I think most guys do just want minutes and will go.

I would certainly be in favor of immediate eligibility for those guys, and maybe that helps some of the reluctant ones decide to leave. But in the end, they may not be the guys they chose, but once they sign that big contract- they’re your guys, for better or worse.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I understand your concern for the player. I don’t think you can set the high expectations for a new coach and tie his hands though. These top targeted coaches want/expect to have total control. The school would risk not being able to attract a top candidate if their fired coach had players that weren’t desired.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I’m totally with Ace on this. If you’re considering going into a new job, understand the roster and make that part of the decision process. A kid that was recruited and, presumably, chose your school over other options should not have to change his life because the coach that offered him fucked up. If you don’t evaluate talent correctly, that’s your problem. The kids aren’t commodities. As long as they’re playing for free, if they do their part academically and as a member of the student body then you owe them four years.
3 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Would Rhody take another look at him or no?
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Nah
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago I’m totally with Ace on this. If you’re considering going into a new job, understand the roster and make that part of the decision process. A kid that was recruited and, presumably, chose your school over other options should not have to change his life because the coach that offered him fucked up. If you don’t evaluate talent correctly, that’s your problem. The kids aren’t commodities. As long as they’re playing for free, if they do their part academically and as a member of the student body then you owe them four years.
+1 these are not professional athletes, they are 18 year old kids who should not have their lives changed upside down for something they can't control. the new coach should never be in a position to force kids out. the transfer portal is completely out of control and this type of behavior only contributes to it.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Maybe it’s best for Amir anyway does he really want to sit on the pine anyway for 4 years under the new coach or transfer to maybe a mid Major where he can be a rotation player ??
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Ace if that's your take then every missed basket is on the coach.
I literally don’t understand what this means.
ditto
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

2 x