2017-18 Bracketology

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Unread post by adam914 »

Oh and the Bonnies are 100% no matter what happens. Shouldn't even be up for debate.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

St Bonnie in regardless of who wins A10 Championship. The head coaches brother will be URI’s biggest fan today.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

adam914 wrote:
RF1 wrote:The Bracket Matrix has Seton Hall ahead of us which I don't understand. Rhody has several better metrics and beat them on a neutral court without two key players. How are they ahead?

One concern I have about seeding is that a win today may not move the needle. The seeding may already be set with today's outcome having no bearing. Rhody would then not get more benefit for a victory and move up as would have been the case had the final been played on Saturday.
I wouldn't worry about this too much. The committee is perfectly capable of having two (or more) potential brackets ready if they truly feel that a win today should move our seed. I don't think they are going to just not change a seed because of a game being player Sunday instead of Saturday.
I think you are giving the committee way to much credit. I heard Kevin Macnamara on Cordichi's sports show and he had a lot of concern about the committee. Said some of them knew nothing about college basketball and where totally going by the metrics. Which is a joke if you ask me .
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree Bona is a lock there are other teams who should be sweating
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

woodennickel1 wrote:
adam914 wrote:
RF1 wrote:The Bracket Matrix has Seton Hall ahead of us which I don't understand. Rhody has several better metrics and beat them on a neutral court without two key players. How are they ahead?

One concern I have about seeding is that a win today may not move the needle. The seeding may already be set with today's outcome having no bearing. Rhody would then not get more benefit for a victory and move up as would have been the case had the final been played on Saturday.
I wouldn't worry about this too much. The committee is perfectly capable of having two (or more) potential brackets ready if they truly feel that a win today should move our seed. I don't think they are going to just not change a seed because of a game being player Sunday instead of Saturday.
I think you are giving the committee way to much credit. I heard Kevin Macnamara on Cordichi's sports show and he had a lot of concern about the committee. Said some of them knew nothing about college basketball and where totally going by the metrics. Which is a joke if you ask me .
I think you are giving McNamara too much credit if you think he has any clue what he is talking about.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

DH! Beating the Davidson to the tournament drum!

I think the league should kick in some $$$ to keep him in the A10. Lol he is good for the whole league.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Bonnie’s or Favidson would be typical selection committee BS. Don’t be shocked if it happens
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

It won't. First of all, URI is going to win this game so we will never know for sure, but Bonnies is going to be a 10 seed which will be the best evidence you can ask for that they were safely in. They aren't going to take a 10 seed out of the field because they decided on a conference quota. It doesn't work that way.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

Where do you think we'll be seeded now?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

...wonder who got squeezed out?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I am of the opinion that the outcome of today's game will not affect seeding as it was already decided. Would have been upset had we won but I guess it may work in our favor now with a loss.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:I am of the opinion that the outcome of today's game will not affect seeding as it was already decided. Would have been upset had we won but I guess it may work in our favor now with a loss.
Agree...probably not going to hurt us (it might, but who really knows?)...but definitely someone that was in...is now not....
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I think we are 6/7. Played a lot of non-conference without EC and still beat Providence and Seton Hall.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote:I think we are 6/7. Played a lot of non-conference without EC and still beat Providence and Seton Hall.
Experts have Rhody as an 8.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Should be a 3 bid league.

Betting Davidson just bumped out St Marys
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Lunardi has rhody as a 9 facing va tech...but I think he just flipped the numbers?...thought he had us as a 8 facing the same team?
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Davidson RPI at 47 now helps out because they are now Q1 losses to Davidson. We have 1 bad loss all year. Lots of close games that we did lose, we should be a 7 but really whatever we get is fine. Get ready to kick some ass next week boys!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Bonnie fans are getting nervous. Lunardi has now dropped SBU to one of the play in teams after Davidson getting in via the auto bid. Lunardi has been accused in the past of making late adjustments just prior to the field announcement. Many think he does so with inside info.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

If that's true, why is he so mediocre when it comes to his predictions
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Bracketville updated at 5

https://bracketville.wordpress.com/bracketology/

Still a 7 in the East in Detroit. Now taking on UCLA instead of Creighton
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Again...rather be an 8 playing creighton to play nova over a 7 playing UCLA to play Purdue. All about matchups.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I have them as a 7 playing Missouri in Charlotte in the West region with the winner playing likely UNC.

I had Louisville as the team squeezed out by the Davidson win.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Some very important and timely words from our old friend Mike Laprey. The season may not have ended perfectly, but lets not lose sight of how far we have come!

1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The Davidson win did impact Bonaventure, but as we insisted it did not cost them their bid. It likely did force them into a play-in game.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Where is the Rhody Oklahoma thread???? :lol: :lol:
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Where is the Rhody Oklahoma thread???? :lol: :lol:
IWASJUSTGOINGTOSAYTHAT... type that
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

First travel itinerary, then game thread.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

What's 'the hotel'?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:...wonder who got squeezed out?
Notre Dame was dropped because of Davidson's win.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody74 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:...wonder who got squeezed out?
Notre Dame was dropped because of Davidson's win.
My wife, a Notre Dame grad, is less than pleased with me at the moment.
2 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

TruePoint wrote:It won't. First of all, URI is going to win this game so we will never know for sure, but Bonnies is going to be a 10 seed which will be the best evidence you can ask for that they were safely in. They aren't going to take a 10 seed out of the field because they decided on a conference quota. It doesn't work that way.
My crystal ball is broken too.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Idk, I think my crystal ball was pretty on point. I had URI as a 7, Bona as a 10 and Davidson as a 12. I missed Bona by one line. As far as predicting the game, my post came when we were down by about 8 or 9 points in the second half, so in context I was not too far off with that one, either. Most importantly, my actual point that they were not going to remove Bona from the field if Davidson won because of an A10 quota was obviously correct.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes agree Bona was a slam dunk , I also thought they deserved a 10 seed
0 x
TulaneGradRamFan
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by TulaneGradRamFan »

According to an article on the ESPN website, http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... acket-2018, NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament history shows that 75 percent of 7 seeds have beat their 10th seed match up 4 times in the last 5 years. Based on that, if the trend continues, we should beat the Oklahoma Sooners.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I worry about every game......
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote:I worry about every game......
Really :?: When did this start?
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

At birth...
3 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

TruePoint wrote:Idk, I think my crystal ball was pretty on point. I had URI as a 7, Bona as a 10 and Davidson as a 12. I missed Bona by one line. As far as predicting the game, my post came when we were down by about 8 or 9 points in the second half, so in context I was not too far off with that one, either. Most importantly, my actual point that they were not going to remove Bona from the field if Davidson won because of an A10 quota was obviously correct.
Horseshoes and hand grenades, my friend. Prediction is either on point or it's not. Don't give me this "URI was down 8 points in the 2nd half so my context wasn't too far off when I posted" line. URI did not win, so that was wrong. Bonnies are an 11 seed, so that was wrong too.

It's OK to go out on limb, make a prediction, and be wrong. We just need to admit it. No big deal. (something our current president cannot do) I don't make a lot of predictions because I'm usually wrong. It's very hard to predict future events. (Here are some predictions sure to go wrong...Nevada and New Mexico St. to the Sweet 16. But I'll make those picks anyway.)

Yes, Bonnies were in the field. Correct on that point.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Life on NCAA tourney bubble getting tougher for the little guys: 'The opportunity is disappearing'
Pete Thamel
Yahoo SportsMar 14, 2018, 12:18 AM

https://sports.yahoo.com/march-sadness- ... 32135.html
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

^
Great article. NCAA is taking all the excitement that comes from David vs. Goliath out of the tournament.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

People who believe in the fact that the NCAA is holding back the mid-majors should be at the forefront of pushing advanced metrics for tournament selection. I believe the Middle Tennessee should have been in the tournament, but a lot of that is because they played a 4, a 6, and a bubble team on neutral courts and lost by a combined 14 points. That tells me that they can stick with anyone in the country, but if you look at the tournament metrics the way we have been taught to, it's all about who have you beaten. The knockout blow was taking a bad loss in their last game, meaning that not only did they beat no at-large teams and also had 3 bad losses. So it's totally fair that they did not have the chances that power conference teams did, but at the same time I do not believe we should all of a sudden vacate conventional thinking and reward teams in the current system in what they almost did versus what they did do. The goal should be to have the best teams in the tournament ... That said, I do think Middle Tennessee is one of those teams, and if advanced metrics were put at the forefront, I do believe we would have seen that. That said, there are flaws with every metric, so it'll be nice to see something that can stick.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RF1 wrote:Life on NCAA tourney bubble getting tougher for the little guys: 'The opportunity is disappearing'
Pete Thamel
Yahoo SportsMar 14, 2018, 12:18 AM

https://sports.yahoo.com/march-sadness- ... 32135.html
This is a trend the NCAA needs to reverse.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Not if douche bag Bilas has his way....he wants it like it is in football...just the P5's and the BE [maybe].....like 100-120 teams at the top level.

That would destroy the tournament as we know it, and basically kill most everyone's interest.....

His reasoning? The little guys don't have the money to compete, and little to no chance to advance in the tourney...so get rid of them.

Imo the A10 in a few years at most, will have to partner with other BB only schools to create another BE style league. And we're talking the better programs, not like the bottom half of our conference.

Sorry Bonnies, but you're doomed....along with many others...and URI will have to belong to that new conference, or else we're done also.

The writing's on the wall...and I'm sure Dan sees it coming....he will follow the Smarts and Millers of the world to a P5 at some point....where he can lose 12-13 games and still make the tourney.

Let's just hope it isn't for a while. In the meantime we have to position our program to be good enough to be invited to that new conference.

All the upgrades that have been discussed, and some that aren't even yet, have to happen, and fairly soon, or we could be left out in the cold.

Thorr and Dooley aren't stupid. I'm sure they are aware of what could happen.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Ugh. On every thread it is doom and gloom. Pay no attention to fact that short of a few late losses URI was pushing a 4 or 5 seed in the worst A10 season in memory.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

The fact that this was pegged as the Worst A10 in recent memory and we ended with 3 teams playing in the field of 64 (after the Bonnies win) is a huge accomplishment and shows that winning and good seeding is possible here.

The 3 teams in will be favored (URI) or 6 point or less underdogs (Davidson, Bonnies). So much for a complete "down" year.

I'll admit that I don't follow other conferences nearly as much, but there's some serious talent in the A10 and I don't see that slowing down. Mobley, Adams, Stockard, Aldridge, Grady, our top 8, BJ Johnson, Tillman, St. Joe's Duo and many more could play pretty much anywhere (sans blue bloods). Stockard, Grady, the entire all-freshmen team, Cunningham, Greek Freak 2.0, our trio, etc. shows the cupboard isn't bare. With our incoming class and the league "on the rise" there's no reason to think we won't be in the running for an at-large bid for the foreseeable future if we grab some decent wins in the non-con.

Seeing Syracuse, UCLA, USC, Notre Dame, Arizona State, Oregon, and others either barely make it in or fail to make it altogether shows the grass isn't always greener and you have to win games no matter what conference you're associated with.
4 x