The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Dan wants more program improvements, facility upgrades, and more money for staff....if he keeps getting those I think he stays....he'll get more money down the road.

You know, practice facility, more charters for away games, stuff like that. The money for staff has to happen STAT.....or Cox and Moore will be gone soon.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rambone 78 wrote:Dan wants more program improvements, facility upgrades, and more money for staff....if he keeps getting those I think he stays....he'll get more money down the road.

You know, practice facility, more charters for away games, stuff like that. The money for staff has to happen STAT.....or Cox and Moore will be gone soon.
Yeah I’m more worried about those two than I am about Dan.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think Moore will be here at least another year....he's due to make another 500K for one more year....

Cox is the biggest worry imo.....although if Dan were to leave, he could be our new HC.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote:I think Moore will be here at least another year....he's due to make another 500K for one more year....

Cox is the biggest worry imo.....although if Dan were to leave, he could be our new HC.
And we’d retain everyone. Best case for an unwanted scenario.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Cox became HC, yes it's likely they would stay...Dan would want it that way and would tell them they should stay.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I hate to even go here right now with this type of speculation because I do not believe that Hurley will leave after this season, but not only would most of the guys on the team stay, I think our recruiting class would stay largely intact. If Cox were Jerry D I wouldn't want to hire an assistant just to keep a roster or recruiting class in the boat, but in Cox's case he's going to have his own program soon either way, and in this hypothetical I think he'd be very, very likely to succeed if he inherited a program with talent and momentum, as opposed to having to build it from scratch.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I don't believe Dan will leave either...I don't think he's going to leave here until he's certain he can't climb any higher here, read: deeper into the NCAAs. I think the teams here have some serious multi weekend potential that's only getting better (basing that on what I hear others say about the recruiting)...yes, he might get nice offers now, but what kind of offers will he get if he takes this team to the Elite 8 or Final 4? And, wherever he could go to now...that kind of success would likely be years away... Then again, what do I know?
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Oh my God this again.

Dan Hurley has one job left in him. Period.

He will go to a school that’s not rebuilding. He will go to a school that is a blue blood program and not a 1 coach success story. He’s not desperate to go anywhere and enjoys winning and playing in the NCAAs now.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RamIt! wrote:Wish DH would just put the rumors to rest so this team can concentrate on the post season... hoping he's at least done that in locker room...
What could he do to put the rumors to rest?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Nobody is distracted about this annual reality but those who worry outwardly on this forum.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Can we just set back and enjoy the present?
Ranked Top 25 for the most weeks in a season EVER!
Currently Ranked #25
Playing in the Semi Finals of the A10 Tournament with the Top 4 Seeds in the Semi's
- St Joseph's
- URI
- St Bonaventure
- Davidson
Guaranteed after yesterday's victory of an NCAA Bid - how many times in our history has URI KNOWN they had an NCAA Bid going into Selection Sunday and the A10 Tournament not even over yet?

But we have people speculating that the HC could be leaving, speculating about next year's starting line-up, talking about PC

Good grief, get a grip
Today is yet another historic day in URI Basketball
#1 Seed in the A10 Tournament
A10 Regular Season Champions
Yet another National TV Broadcast
Yet another day of URI Basketball being on the ESPN Bottom of Screen Ticker showing the scores of teams listed in the Top 25
Senior laden line up with promising players like Jeff Dowtin, Fatts Russell and Cyril Langevine playing very key roles in yesterday's huge win over perennial A10 Power VCU

Enjoy the ride!!!!
It does not get much better than this inn URI Basketball History
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Ramster, only people who thought URI wasn’t already a true lock for the NCAA tournament a week ago live here on KeaneyBlue I guess.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:Ramster, only people who thought URI wasn’t already a true lock for the NCAA tournament a week ago live here on KeaneyBlue I guess.
Well ATP, with totally honest, full transparency, I was scared if we lost yesterday and had 3 straight losses, with one a very bad one, AND if Davidson or St Joe, Dayton or VCU or other was to knock off St Bonaventure in the Championship game then I thought that Championship Team would of course be a lock, St Bonaventure would be a lock having gone to the Championship game and then you would have the Committee having to Select a 3rd A10 Team, URI, to the Dance. As much as posters here have proclaimed the A10 as a 1-bid league throughout most of this season, there is no possible way I want our fate in the hands of that Committee, especially this year when they have thrown in the new Team Sheet criteria with the BS about Quadrants that is designed to justify selecting more P5 Teams - if you think that was meant for Non P5 Teams then "Dan in Arizona" has some nice Ocean Front Property you might be interested in buying.

Yesterday's win vs VCU was huge. It guaranteed us an NCAA Tournament bid that no Team Sheets can take away from us. No worrying on Sunday Night - absolutely Zero!! I will be here in DC to watch the Selection Show Sunday Night. Life does not get much better than that for a Lifelong URI Fan. And I was very, very nervous yesterday but what a relief when our guys came through. Dan Hurley once again showing he can win the close games and win the big games when they count the most!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Maybe because we are not in their media market that we don't hear it, but i'm surprised Mark Schmidt is not mentioned for any openings...I assume he will be at the end of this season. He has done great work up in Olean.
3 x
ms1111
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ms1111 »

The uconn board is convinced Hurley is going there. That he wants to stay in New England, likes their practice facilities and there already have been ‘back channel’ messages. Hope they are wrong. Actually wonder if Tom Moore hurts us in keeping Hurley since He probably has nothing but positive things to say about his experiences there when Dan asks.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Can we PLEASE keep Coaching Speculation to after the season?
Enjoy the Ride
HUGE GAME TODAY!

and Hurley is suited for a much better job than in Storrs Connecticut. At this point that is like a step down from him building the Gonzaga of the East
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Good grief...UConn is under NCAA investigation for recruiting violations.

Dan is NOT going there. If UConn gets over that, and gets in the ACC or BE, then maybe. Otherwise, no.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

agree
No way he goes to UCONN and the AAC
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster I agreed with you about the possibility we could be left out if we had lost yesterday...especially with a couple of bid stealers looming.

Not now....now it's just a matter of seeding.....Arizona St. and St. Mary's are in trouble....if anyone gets left out it's them. Same for Middle Tennessee.

Too bad about Bobby though....a couple of weeks ago they were close to a lock.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think OBVIOUSLY the fans at UConn, or at Pitt, would assume from their perspective that the coach at Rhode Island would jump at the chance to go coach there. This is also the assumption of national media guys, because it is the way it is 99% of the time in college basketball.

That said, people close to this situation don't seem to think that the Pitt job or the UConn job are the type of job Dan Hurley would leave for, for a variety of reasons. He and his family are comfortable in Rhode Island; he could make more money elsewhere, but he is making real money already and the school has continued to stretch itself trying to build the program up around him which he seems to value as much as, if not more than, salary; basketball-wise, he has proven to himself he can win here and now that he has this thing humming there are doubts about whether he wants to start over rebuilding somewhere else; and importantly, as Blue Man said, he isn't going to jump around a bunch more times and it seems likely that his next stop would be his last one, so the assumption is he will wait for an elite job where he can compete for national championships - which is an opportunity he will get if he has sustained success at URI. So if you're a URI fan, I would not get overly worked up about every rumor on another team's fan board or every time a national media person brings up your coach as a candidate for another job. You understand the situation much better than the people speculating, for the most part. Take it as a compliment.

I'm not suggesting we should be completely naive about the nature of college basketball here - eventually one of these rumors will be true, in all likelihood. But I don't think that time is right now, and there is no use worrying about it. And as I alluded to above, the university is in much better position now to roll this success forward for a variety of reasons (many of them attributable to Hurley), if/when the time eventually comes.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If he stays here and continues to build, maybe he could compete for a national championship here.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Cooley

Super hot

Boat load of P5 cash awaits

Maybe 2 boat loads and hoops nirvana

He promised to stay tho....

:)
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Cooley is making over 2 mil a year at PC, I think he has found his happy place.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ms1111 wrote:The uconn board is convinced Hurley is going there. That he wants to stay in New England, likes their practice facilities and there already have been ‘back channel’ messages. Hope they are wrong. Actually wonder if Tom Moore hurts us in keeping Hurley since He probably has nothing but positive things to say about his experiences there when Dan asks.
They've got a phenomenal practice facility but their game day facilities aren't good. Who wants to play their biggest games 25 miles away from campus? We remember how much that sucked. Combine that with who wants to spend time in Hartford and the state is looking to sell the XL Center. Then you look at Gampel. It took like two years to fix the roof that desperately needed repairs, the arena is showing its age, and Connecticut can't afford to throw money at UConn the way they used to. Fact is we have better game day facilities right now
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Jeff Goodman reporting Kevin Ollie has been fired by UConn.

Last edited by STC 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think they came to an agreement on the money that was owed him... something like half of the 10 mil.

I had been hearing rumors about that yesterday at work.....

And yes Hurley is their 1st choice. Just don't see it.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Since the investigation hasn't proved wrongdoing yet, but it's very likely there was....that's why the settlement.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

That’s unethical to fire someone in NCAA wrongdoings when they were only investigating because they wanted him gone.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It's an interesting strategy. You don't have to pay him this way, but you're also essentially admitting wrongdoing, which means you're essentially saying your program should be sanctioned. Goodbye scholarships for a program that needs to rebuild?
1 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Of course Hurley's name is going to be thrown out, the media HAS to speculate on who will replace Ollie. Its also obvious the only reason he'd leave for UCONN is $$. He's already built up 2 programs and has a great gig right now. UConn is nowhere near ready to compete for a national title and the UCONN job is lateral at best. Dan's next move (if he even makes a next move) is to a place where he can make deep runs in the ncaa every year. The UCONN brand is a shell of what it was, i'm sure Dan's dream job is not another massive rebuild.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I don't know. Dan and Zags are pretty tight. Why would Zags put Dan's name out there.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/03/10/citi ... vin-ollie/
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There will be penalties...I also think UConn wanted this handled quickly.....does Dan want to go to a program that will likely lose scholarships and be on probation?

Also in the AAC? I seriously doubt it. There have been rumors [not confirmed] that Calhoun has talked to Dan about the job, since he [Calhoun] is no longer employed by UConn. They might want him and Moore......
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

rambone 78 wrote:I think Moore will be here at least another year....he's due to make another 500K for one more year....

Moore makes 500K ?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Is this Dan's way of trying to get more improvements for URI? We know that he and Zags are tight. So, is this a negotiating ploy for a facility, chartered planes and assistant salaries?
Adam Zagoria‏Verified account @AdamZagoria · 17m17 minutes ago
 Again, Dan Hurley will be very popular on the Coaching Carousel in the coming weeks.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RIFan wrote:Maybe because we are not in their media market that we don't hear it, but i'm surprised Mark Schmidt is not mentioned for any openings...I assume he will be at the end of this season. He has done great work up in Olean.

His name (Schmidt) has been associated with Pitt. He has connections to the area as he coached at Robert Morris in metro Pittsburgh for six years and met his wife, a local native, when he was there. Still has family on his wife's side there.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

STC wrote:Jeff Goodman reporting Kevin Ollie has been fired by UConn.

This is for the most part a way for UConn to avoid paying an exorbitant buyout (rumored to be $10M). My guess is that UConn is hoping to pressure Ollie into accepting a lesser buyout through hardball negotiations. Pitt looks like it may be trying to do the same with Stallings. I however would think these moves are not a good look for potential coaching candidates. I would think some coaches might have to think long and hard about a employer that does not honor its contract commitments and instead chooses to smear its coach.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:
RIFan wrote:Maybe because we are not in their media market that we don't hear it, but i'm surprised Mark Schmidt is not mentioned for any openings...I assume he will be at the end of this season. He has done great work up in Olean.

His name has been associated with Pitt. He has connections to the area as he coached at Robert Morris in metro Pittsburgh for six years and met his wife, a local native, when he was there. Still has family on his wife's side there.

His name will be associated with many jobs. Name a Head Coach at a non P5 School who would be more attractive than Dan Hurley?
I can think of none.
He has delivered what he came here to do and in fact over-delivered above and beyond expectations. He has done it the right way with Scholastics, Players a School Alumni and President can be proud of, energized the fan base, recruited at a higher level every year, it's like what hasn't the guy done?

It's unnerving to have to go through this but relax and enjoy the moment. Greatest Top 25 Streak in the history of URI. None better.
Great recruiting class coming in
5 wonderful Seniors playing their last games.
It's a great time for URI Basketball
Whatever happens in the future happens but if you keep worrying about the future you will miss one heck of a present
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I gotta say it’s some bullshit to be throwing around Hurley’s name in public when the team is in the middle of trying to make a tournament run
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rhodysurf wrote:I gotta say it’s some bullshit to be throwing around Hurley’s name in public when the team is in the middle of trying to make a tournament run
Totally agree with that. This can't wait two weeks or so?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodysurf wrote:I gotta say it’s some bullshit to be throwing around Hurley’s name in public when the team is in the middle of trying to make a tournament run
It's all related to the Ollie announcement

We are in the world of instant news. Ollie is announced and instantly there is speculation
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

There’s no secret alliance between Dan and Zags to publically campaign for a better situation. That’s not Dan’s style, at all. Adam’s blog and twitter account have a significant Rhody and North Jersey following. He mentions the name Hurley, he gets clicks. Nothing wrong with that. Dan has no other point of focus right now than today’s game.
Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

woodennickel1 wrote:

Moore makes 500K ?
I think that's combining his buy out from Quinnipiac and his assistant salary here
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Tip off in 2 hours

Can't wait

two great games today
1-seed URI vs 4-seed St Joseph's
2-seed St Bonaventure vs 3-seed Davidson

all 4 teams looked like the Top 4 teams in the A-10 right now

This is what we live for
3 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

I have no inside knowledge of the situation but would be beyond shocked if Hurley went to UCONN . Personally I think he would be nuts to take that job I read a good article a couple weeks ago about all the travel they have to do. I just think Dan Hurley is to smart to get involved in that mess.
Last edited by woodennickel1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
RF1 wrote:

His name has been associated with Pitt. He has connections to the area as he coached at Robert Morris in metro Pittsburgh for six years and met his wife, a local native, when he was there. Still has family on his wife's side there.

His name will be associated with many jobs. Name a Head Coach at a non P5 School who would be more attractive than Dan Hurley?
I can think of none.
He has delivered what he came here to do and in fact over-delivered above and beyond expectations. He has done it the right way with Scholastics, Players a School Alumni and President can be proud of, energized the fan base, recruited at a higher level every year, it's like what hasn't the guy done?

It's unnerving to have to go through this but relax and enjoy the moment. Greatest Top 25 Streak in the history of URI. None better.
Great recruiting class coming in
5 wonderful Seniors playing their last games.
It's a great time for URI Basketball
Whatever happens in the future happens but if you keep worrying about the future you will miss one heck of a present
What does this have to do with Schmidt, ramster?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Shinze88 wrote:UConn is nowhere near ready to compete for a national title and the UCONN job is lateral at best. Dan's next move (if he even makes a next move) is to a place where he can make deep runs in the ncaa every year. The UCONN brand is a shell of what it was, i'm sure Dan's dream job is not another massive rebuild.
UCONN might not be ready to compete at this moment but it's still a school that has won 4 National Championships in the last two decades, and is only four years removed from their last one. The right hire with the right mentality can definitely turn UCONN around, the problem was that program lacked discipline. It's also a program that with a little juice can return to recruiting 4/5 star recruits with consistency, which I think the right hire can help with. The only thing I've ever heard about Hurley (money aside) is that if he were to take that last step in his career, it would be to a place where he could recruit at a tremendously high level. That's definitely not UCONN in it's current shape, but something worth noting.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

There are hundreds of teams and thousands of coaches yet Hurley is the only name mentioned everytime a job opens, what the hell.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote:There are hundreds of teams and thousands of coaches yet Hurley is the only name mentioned everytime a job opens, what the hell.

That's because he is so highly thought of
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I'm not going to let myself get too worked up about this yet, I have become a little bit hardened to this with Hurley since we have gone through this a few times now. According to many he wouldn't have been here for 6 season... That being said, this off season would be just about the worst time for him to leave, with this class leaving (5 Seniors!) and the class we have coming in...this is a big transition year for the program and one wrong step could set us back big time.
Last edited by RIFan 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Shinze88 wrote:UConn is nowhere near ready to compete for a national title and the UCONN job is lateral at best. Dan's next move (if he even makes a next move) is to a place where he can make deep runs in the ncaa every year. The UCONN brand is a shell of what it was, i'm sure Dan's dream job is not another massive rebuild.
UCONN might not be ready to compete at this moment but it's still a school that has won 4 National Championships in the last two decades, and is only four years removed from their last one. The right hire with the right mentality can definitely turn UCONN around, the problem was that program lacked discipline. It's also a program that with a little juice can return to recruiting 4/5 star recruits with consistency, which I think the right hire can help with. The only thing I've ever heard about Hurley (money aside) is that if he were to take that last step in his career, it would be to a place where he could recruit at a tremendously high level. That's definitely not UCONN in it's current shape, but something worth noting.

I dont disagree, but it just feels like the 4 NC's and the UCONN brand mean zilch right now. The fact they are in the AAC and have the NCAA investigating them is what makes this job unattractive to a coach like Hurley who'll have much better options. I'm not saying he'll be at URI forever, but at this point in his career you'd have to think he's looking for a much better opportunity than what the UCONN job is offering. There's not much difference between the programs and conferences at this point in time.
0 x