'18 NY G - Omar Silverio (Hofstra Transfer)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: '18 NY G - Omar Silverio

Unread post by reef »

That's a pretty cool grid

Any chance they get some kind of probation and lose some schollys ???
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reef wrote:That's a pretty cool grid

What would they get probation for?

They had three open scholarships and signed three players. One Fr and two Sr (immediately available).
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Rhody83 wrote:
reef wrote:That's a pretty cool grid

What would they get probation for?

They had three open scholarships and signed three players. One Fr and two Sr (immediately available).
I think he was referring to the violations that ended their former coach's tenure. Though I don't think there will be any serious sanctions from the illegal workouts.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I was referring to some of the shady stuff that happened under Ollie but seems like all these big programs do something shady it's just who gets punished???
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Let's show the kid some love.
4 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I'm on the Omar train would love to close the deal on recruit #1 in the Cox era.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yup. Let's get him, hopefully he announces for us as early as Friday.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

He'll be a part of an outstanding class that will attract a bunch of attention, great spot to be in. Also be set up to get some impact playing time as a frosh on a team that expects to win. Let's go Omar!! Sign on the dotted line...
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Coach Cox needs to close this deal!!!! This kid really fills out our guard line-up.
Omar Silverio
Bronx, NY - 2018
STRENGTHS

3 PT SHOOTING

Agility

Ball-Handling

HIGH- VOLUME SCORING

Off-The-Dribble Shooting

He's got the RIGHT STUFF!!
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Who did/does Omar hold offers from before/after the Santa Clara thing?

Couldn’t find much on him.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Omar commits before the weekend is up...book it.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Would like to be sure of that....but it's only his 1st day of the visit.....I think he signs too but nothing is a given until it's a given.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote:Would like to be sure of that....but it's only his 1st day of the visit.....I think he signs too but nothing is a given until it's a given.
Think positive brother.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

STC wrote:Who did/does Omar hold offers from before/after the Santa Clara thing?

Couldn’t find much on him.
Most of the A10, Santa Clara, Rutgers, Miss State & UCONN all offerred.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Getting pysched for Omar. Love this clip.

0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Hate to keep repeating myself but I really like Omar. People I have talked to say no different than what I think from what I have seen. No disrespect to Brendan Adams , who I believe can be an excellent player, but I think Omar may be a better fit for this program without a doubtu.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This feels like a situation that should move quickly if it is going to end up in our favor.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote:This feels like a situation that should move quickly if it is going to end up in our favor.
Predicting a verbal by the end of the day tomorrow.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody83 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:This feels like a situation that should move quickly if it is going to end up in our favor.
What do people predict will break first, Silverio or Sutton?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Omar would be a good get for new Coach Cox. And he would play significant minutes right away.

If they get a commitment from him, perhaps save the last scholarship for a rainy day, so to speak. Save it for some potential 5* or one and done player, just in case. Really, unless it's going to be for a rare hyper talent, 4 players is more than plenty for one recruiting class.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote:Omar would be a good get for new Coach Cox. And he would play significant minutes right away.

If they get a commitment from him, perhaps save the last scholarship for a rainy day, so to speak. Save it for some potential 5* or one and done player, just in case. Really, unless it's going to be for a rare hyper talent, 4 players is more than plenty for one recruiting class.
In David's interview with Disano, he said he'd use it on a transfer, although most likely not a grad transfer.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
Both before the weekend is up.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
Both before the weekend is up.
That is not an answer to the question I asked.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Sutton
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Unpopular, food for thought, post of the day...

Pick up baseball bat, strike bee hive...

I'd love to tell you that Div 1 college basketball is like Team USA or AAU ball, where you have a team of 15 players and you use them in waves like a hockey team and everyone is in perfect harmony. But, we all know this level is not like that.

This is a very intimate level where you typically have 5 starters and after the 3rd bench player, there is significant drop off in minutes. Remember Rod always talking about Harrick only playing his top 7-8 players the majority of the game. Even if you say, no, I'm not going to do that, how many are you going to realistically play? 9? 10?

So, remember Sean Colson leaving after he lost his job to Tyson Wheeler and then being a star player with the Charlotte 49ers. That's the sort of thing you want to avoid. NCAA Div 1 is very heavily reliant on team chemistry, and no small measure on ego. And a young team like this is still developing that, especially with a new coach.

You get a commit from Omar, it's probably time to very carefully measure your next move, before you start upsetting the apple cart. Getting commitments left and right is great for program morale, it's like the next fix. Unfortunately it has an inverse effect on the players themselves when you start over recruiting their position.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

To me, all of that is obvious, and I don't see anything that Cox is doing going against it.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Yeah, well, not everyone is you, Iggy. I know I'm not saying anything you don't already know.

I just wanted to point out that there are a few merits to holding onto the ship on such a young team. Not to mention, it's a good idea because you never know what is going to happen, it's like money in the bank if some dramatically talented player is available at a very late date when everyone already used all of theirs up.
0 x
ms1111
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ms1111 »

Jxcru
Let’s say we don’t take another guard.....

Then let’s say that Thompson gets hurt again. You’ll be be left with three guards on the team total.

How’s that going to work out?
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

My name starts with J and my last name starts with Cru

If you want to make an argument, take the 5th grade play ground stuff out of it. I know where you are going with that, and you were wrong 3 weeks ago and you're wrong now, and you're being an ass. Stop it.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

And frankly, for that matter, I don't know why someone on here felt the need to take the name rhodyfan3, that was my name for 20 years.

I was rhodyfan3 because I got banned from the Projo board as rhodyfan and rhodyfan2 during the Jerry D years. And people used to call me RF3 for short.

A lot of people were banned from Projo at one point or another. Which is the reason why we have this board.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

jcru wrote:Yeah, well, not everyone is you, Iggy. I know I'm not saying anything you don't already know.

I just wanted to point out that there are a few merits to holding onto the ship on such a young team. Not to mention, it's a good idea because you never know what is going to happen, it's like money in the bank if some dramatically talented player is available at a very late date when everyone already used all of theirs up.
I think David Cox knows a little more than you about the chemistry of the team and what to do with the last scholarship. He has said he is going to use it and the most likely use will be on a regular transfer. He said it could be a 5th year transfer but most likely a regular transfer. I trust his judgement.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

fine whatever
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I remember when the internet basically started in earnest. It was 1996 and I was taking classes at Bryant and they had their first internet lab. Beautiful facility. I used to be a lurker on the very first Projo URI message board, too timid to say anything, just read everyone's opinion.

Then, when the team made the elite 8 run, people started chatting away a lot more. I started to get involved. They made it clear, they wanted to hear everyone's opinion. Speak out. Be heard. We encourage it.

Now, look at how things have come full circle, 20 years later. It's "shut up, idiot, the coach knows a little more than you" in every thread. Of course, I can tell the real Rhode Islanders on here, because they can't disagree with you without throwing an insult at you in the same breath. Rod wasted his life on this. To hear, shut up, old man, you don't know diddly squat. Brave new era, indeed.

I can take a hint. Good luck, I'll watch from afar like everyone else.
0 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

Let's keep the topic to Omar Silverio and your constant references to Rod are incredibly creepy
6 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

jcru wrote:I remember when the internet basically started in earnest. It was 1996 and I was taking classes at Bryant and they had their first internet lab. Beautiful facility. I used to be a lurker on the very first Projo URI message board, too timid to say anything, just read everyone's opinion.

Then, when the team made the elite 8 run, people started chatting away a lot more. I started to get involved. They made it clear, they wanted to hear everyone's opinion. Speak out. Be heard. We encourage it.

Now, look at how things have come full circle, 20 years later. It's "shut up, idiot, the coach knows a little more than you" in every thread. Of course, I can tell the real Rhode Islanders on here, because they can't disagree with you without throwing an insult at you in the same breath. Rod wasted his life on this. To hear, shut up, old man, you don't know diddly squat. Brave new era, indeed.

I can take a hint. Good luck, I'll watch from afar like everyone else.
Agree...except a handful of folks seem to think 'they' know more than you, too, not just the coach...and can't wait to tell you, no matter how many words and pages it takes. It rather does suck all of the fun out of it. Someone said the UConn board is a bunch of obnoxious snobs...maybe so, but guessing for the most part, they enjoy it a lot more.

Your opinion is welcome here, so long as you're willing to read pages of what a fool you are for having it... :roll:
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like the idea of getting a regular transfer with that last scholly have him sit out a year then toss him into the mix
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

jcru wrote:Unpopular, food for thought, post of the day...

Pick up baseball bat, strike bee hive...

I'd love to tell you that Div 1 college basketball is like Team USA or AAU ball, where you have a team of 15 players and you use them in waves like a hockey team and everyone is in perfect harmony. But, we all know this level is not like that.

This is a very intimate level where you typically have 5 starters and after the 3rd bench player, there is significant drop off in minutes. Remember Rod always talking about Harrick only playing his top 7-8 players the majority of the game. Even if you say, no, I'm not going to do that, how many are you going to realistically play? 9? 10?

So, remember Sean Colson leaving after he lost his job to Tyson Wheeler and then being a star player with the Charlotte 49ers. That's the sort of thing you want to avoid. NCAA Div 1 is very heavily reliant on team chemistry, and no small measure on ego. And a young team like this is still developing that, especially with a new coach.

You get a commit from Omar, it's probably time to very carefully measure your next move, before you start upsetting the apple cart. Getting commitments left and right is great for program morale, it's like the next fix. Unfortunately it has an inverse effect on the players themselves when you start over recruiting their position.
that's why EC and Terrell bolted when Dan brought in Stan, Fatts and Dowtin...right?

or that explains why Jarvis transferred after Dowtin took his job, right?

I'll give you credit for 1 thing, when it comes to idiotic takes you're the king.
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

"Rod wasted his life on this." - what a terrible thing to say.
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Committed on his visit.
3 x
Common sense is not common.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

1 x
Common sense is not common.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: '18 NY G - Omar Silverio (URI Commit)

I guess Cox is pretty good at closing...
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Welcome home Omar!

5 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Welcome aboard Anand best of luck to Omar. Love this pickup what a,class and 4 strong again
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

And so it begins!
0 x
GO RAMS
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

He's comin'....

2 x
---
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I'm never going to tire of Omar memes.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DC_Rams wrote:Knowing Cox, he’s likely going to have him in the bag this week.
You called it DC Rams!

;)
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:He's comin'....

Having 4 years of easy references to 'The Wire' might be my favorite part of his commitment.
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Shaolin Swat wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:He's comin'....

Having 4 years of easy references to 'The Wire' might be my favorite part of his commitment.
haha, seriously. its gonna be too much fun
1 x
---
---