Jim Baron 2.0

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Jim Baron 2.0

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Look at the Giants....couldn't win any close games last year....change coaches...and VOILA!

Duck.......
Let's compare a professional football team to an Atlantic 10 basketball team. Yup that's makes alotta sense.
Ummm, an underachieving team changing coaches and taking off is a concept that happens in ALL sports.

The Penguins last year are out of the playoffs at the break and fire Bylsma. Under the new coach they catch fire and win the Cup.

On a team that is underachieving, changing coaches is the quickest way to turn it around (not saying dump Hurley)
Yeah, but...you didn't say to not dump him either... :lol:
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

URI I'm sure is in no hurry to dump DH.....at least not yet....they've invested a lot of salary, perks, and upgrades to the program....things move slowly in Kingston......sort of like our offense, no?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Bi-weekly reminder that this is the dumbest thread in the history of this board.

Now back to your regularly scheduled misery.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

In all areas but one, you're right BM it is dumb........that one area though is wins and losses in close games....the bottom line.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote:Bi-weekly reminder that this is the dumbest thread in the history of this board.

Now back to your regularly scheduled misery.
Dumbest thread and by far the dumbest titled thread

And we can celebrate today that it has now extended to 8 pages.........and counting.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I know we have not won all of the close ones this year, but have so many nightmare memories of Baron finally getting a good matchup on National TV and then we would get blown out. I would be so embarrassed after getting my hopes up - then to hear him on the post game show would add insult to injury.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

That's true...at least we don't usually get blown out when we are in the big games under Hurley...If they counted moral victories we would have been to the tourney by now under Hurley.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote:That's true...at least we don't usually get blown out when we are in the big games under Hurley...If they counted moral victories we would have been WON to the tourney by now under Hurley.
1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

RIFan wrote:That's true...at least we don't usually get blown out when we are in the big games under Hurley...If they counted moral victories we would have been to the tourney by now under Hurley.
This is a "benefit", if you want to call it that, of a slower tempo. Hurley's teams rarely get blown out. It's happened a few times but, in general, the slower you play the less likely it is you will get blown out. Dan has always emphasized defense first which also helps in avoiding a blowout. Add to this that I've never seen a Hurley team quit on him. Maybe one time they did against St Joes on the road in his first or second year.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

RIFan wrote:That's true...at least we don't usually get blown out when we are in the big games under Hurley...If they counted moral victories we would have been to the tourney by now under Hurley.
Really? Let me refresh your memory.

VATech- L 69-50
St.Mary's L 82-59
SMU L 89-58
AZ L 87-59
Kansas :L 76-60
Dayton L 75-59
Maryland L 86-63
VCU L 83-67

What moral wins were in that group?
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I was agreeing that they don't seem to get blown out as much as under Baron 1.0. I admit that I did not go and review the previous 4 seasons, but it looks like you listed 8 games...that averages out to 2 a year, which seems better to me than CFL. But I may be wrong, and Hurley may be just as bad...thus the Baron 2.0 thread...
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Hurley hasn't totally lived up to expectations, including his own. But he is not "just as bad" as Jim Baron.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

TP that's why he is 2.0.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

What does the 2.0 mean? Sorry if I don't get it.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

He's the updated version of Baron. Might be some minor differences but overall same general idea. At least that's what I think when reading Baron 2.0.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I only read part of this thread because I value my sanity. Jim Baron was not fired because he couldn't win close games; he was fired because he did not appear in an NCAA tournament. Granted, those two things are related. At some point, Hurley will have to get the team in the tournament. Things have not gone as planned so far this year, but it's a little early to be throwing in the towel.
I'm a fan of Preston Murphy but his impact on URI recruiting is being over stated a bit here. This is Hurley's team; he has improved the skill level dramatically.
Most of those on this board who say Hurley is a bad X and O coach couldn't draw up a play if there life depended on it.
The start of this season has been a bummer but let's keep some perspective please.
Last edited by Iggy1979 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

oh........Like an I-Phone
Got it. Thanks.
Although I do not and never will get the comparison. To me it's not even close, but that's just me.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It's not just you
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

One was a guy who had logged 25+ years at his profession....one is a guy with 7 years experience.
The only similarity is that they are both basketball coaches.
This thread remains a stain on this board.
4 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

My main concern is that he's not winning with one of the most talented teams we have had in a very long time. I've praised him for getting these kids to buy into this program, but he needs results now not later... If he can't make the tourney with this group then when will he?
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

steveystuds06 wrote:My main concern is that he's not winning with one of the most talented teams we have had in a very long time. I've praised him for getting these kids to buy into this program, but he needs results now not later... If he can't make the tourney with this group then when will he?
Unless there is a stud class coming in for '18, I'd say never.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Iggy1979 wrote:I only read part of this thread because I value my sanity. Jim Baron was not fired because he couldn't win close games; he was fired because he did not appear in an NCAA tournament. Granted, those two things are related. At some point, Hurley will have to get the team in the tournament. Things have not gone as planned so far this year, but it's a little early to be throwing in the towel.
I'm a fan of Preston Murphy but his impact on URI recruiting is being over stated a bit here. This is Hurley's team; he has improved the skill level dramatically.
Most of those on this board who say Hurley is a bad X and O coach couldn't draw up a play if there life depended on it..
The start of this season has been a bummer but let's keep some perspective please.
Iggy, I've always valued your knowledge on our program. And as I said way earlier in the thread, the reason Baron got canned was due to no NCAA Tournaments. So, if Dan can't turn this around and get us to the NCAAT after 5 years, what do things look like?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

DH will be judged by NCAA tourney appearances...that's what he was hired to do....how many more NCAA tourney-less years will URI put up with?

Who thinks we will be better without Hass next season? Will it even matter who Dan recruits? If he can't max the talent...that's what concerns me the most.....
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

steveystuds06 wrote:My main concern is that he's not winning with one of the most talented teams we have had in a very long time. I've praised him for getting these kids to buy into this program, but he needs results now not later... If he can't make the tourney with this group then when will he?
Who said he can't make the tournament with this group? We haven't reached conference play and we're projected to have an RPI in the 30's. Let's wait a while before we put a sheet over this season.
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Can we do this on a scale of 1-10 ?? I hate putting these 2 on equal footing

I will go DH 6 of 10 and CFL 4 of 10
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Who said he can't make the tournament with this group? We haven't reached conference play and we're projected to have an RPI in the 30's. Let's wait a while before we put a sheet over this season.
Yep 7-4 vs should be 9-2.

Nobody on the schedule we can't beat....Martin back soon.....Discussion board opinions are ours only, the team is still in firm control of it's fate - two huge hiccups need not ruin a season. The break in the schedule has given time for injuries to heal, new plays and game plans to be prepared and practiced.

Go Rhody
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

hrstrat57 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Yep 7-4 vs should be 9-2.

Nobody on the schedule we can't beat....Martin back soon.....Discussion board opinions are ours only, the team is still in firm control of it's fate - two huge hiccups need not ruin a season. The break in the schedule has given time for injuries to heal, new plays and game plans to be prepared and practiced.

Go Rhody
.......can we call this a reset on the season?......I can certainly get behind this......Go Rhody......just win the next one......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Iggy1979 wrote:I only read part of this thread because I value my sanity. Jim Baron was not fired because he couldn't win close games; he was fired because he did not appear in an NCAA tournament. Granted, those two things are related. At some point, Hurley will have to get the team in the tournament. Things have not gone as planned so far this year, but it's a little early to be throwing in the towel.
Most of those on this board who say Hurley is a bad X and O coach couldn't draw up a play if there life depended on it.
In addition to my bi-weekly or tri-weekly reminder that this is the dumbest thread in the history of this board, I will continue to bump this quote because it's the best in a minority of the rational posts that appear here.

Proceed with the pity party for the lost season. In December.
Last edited by Blue Man 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
josephski
Tom Garrick

I agree with most of this but what does being able to draw up a play have to do with noticing the offense looks good or bad? You don't need to have directed a movie to realize a movie is good or bad, same can be said about any college coach regarding the offense or defense.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From GoRhody................

RHODE ISLAND'S NON-CONFERENCE SLATE ONE OF THE BEST IN THE NATION

•Through games of Dec. 19, Rhode Island's strength of schedule (SOS) is 28th nationally.
•Rhode Island is the only team in the top 50 of the RPI to have played five games vs. top 50 opponents.
•Additionally, Rhode Island is the only top 50 RPI team to have played three true road games vs top 50 opponents.

•Duke (12), Providence (29), Valparaiso (33), and Houston (39), and Cincinnati (48) are ranked in the top 50.
•Three conference opponents (five games) are also top 50 RPI teams: VCU (26), Dayton (40), and Davidson (46).
•The average RPI of the four losses this season - 28.3. Total point differential in those games - 21 points.
•Valpo, Providence, and Houston - were true road games; Cincinnati and Duke - were neutral-site contests.
•KenPom.com rankings of opponents: Duke (1), Cincinnati (18), Providence (50), Houston (51), Valparaiso (77), ODU (95).
•In total, Rhode Island's schedule features 12 top 100 opponents over 16 total games in non-conference and A-10 play.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, but they're 1-4 in those games. You can schedule all the good teams you want. If you lose to almost all of them, who the hell. cares?
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ramster wrote:From GoRhody................

•Through games of Dec. 19, Rhode Island's strength of schedule (SOS) is 28th nationally.
•Rhode Island is the only team in the top 50 of the RPI to have played five games vs. top 50 opponents.
•Additionally, Rhode Island is the only top 50 RPI team to have played three true road games vs top 50 opponents.

•Duke (12), Providence (29), Valparaiso (33), and Houston (39), and Cincinnati (48) are ranked in the top 50.
•Three conference opponents (five games) are also top 50 RPI teams: VCU (26), Dayton (40), and Davidson (46).
•The average RPI of the four losses this season - 28.3. Total point differential in those games - 21 points.
•Valpo, Providence, and Houston - were true road games; Cincinnati and Duke - were neutral-site contests.
•KenPom.com rankings of opponents: Duke (1), Cincinnati (18), Providence (50), Houston (51), Valparaiso (77), ODU (95).
•In total, Rhode Island's schedule features 12 top 100 opponents over 16 total games in non-conference and A-10 play.
You know Ramster if you really think like an optimist here we are 2 made baskets or stops away in 2 games from having a whole different outlook here despite a lot of lousy play at times.....and if we had responded to Gray a bit better in the Houston game we could/should have just one defeat.

It's silly to throw the towel in on 16/17 at this point.....

We forum sideline wannabees are empowered to bitch a lot because of a total of 4 made or stopped baskets.....a point that must be made.

The line between elite and also ran is very fine indeed.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:

You know Ramster if you really think like an optimist here we are 2 made baskets or stops away in 2 games from having a whole different outlook here despite a lot of lousy play at times.....and if we had responded to Gray a bit better in the Houston game we could/should have just one defeat.

We forum sideline wannabees are empowered to bitch a lot because of a total of 4 made or stopped baskets.....a point that must be made.

Not sure it's a fine line...if you are always on the same side of it, it's more like a fence, isn't it? And a pretty secure one at that?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I heard last night that the Celtics are 13-1 in games decided by 3 points or less. Think that has anything to do with coaching?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Celtics game was awesome last night...I didn't "know" they were going to win, but I didn't "know" they were going to lose either...pretty refreshing.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.
A loss is a loss. Especially when so many of these losses, we had the lead
and stopped playing in the last couple of minutes.
Some here can try to rationalize close losses into wins.
I don't care about close, I care about wins.
This moral victory stuff is for the birds.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You have 5 games that we went 1-4 in.
Can't compare that to any other team in the country because no other team in the country scheduled 5 teams of that level and no other team schedule 3 road games with teams of that level.

yes, we went 1-4.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So next year we should go back to Baron scheduling. This way we can:
- Enter A10 Conference Play 12-0 or 11-1 :D :D
- Everybody excited, riding high, saying we should be ranked Top 25, we are getting screwed because we are not ranked :D :D
- Ryan Center filling up because we are 12-0 and playing Maine, New Hampshire, Wagner, :D :D
- Not see players have to perform under pressure, play against other Top 50 RPI Teams, see who steps up and who doesn't, see where the weaknesses are :D :D
- Not have Hurley is Baron 2.0 threads :D :D
- Not blame anything and everything on the Head Coach. Rave about how great the players are doing. :D :D

Personally I want to see:
- How the William & Mary Game works out
- How the 18 Game A10 Conference Games work out
- How the A10 Post Season Tournament works out
- How the NCAA Tournament Selection Process works out

Does the tough OOC Schedule prove to have been a benefit or a non-benefit? The 3 Road Games that ZERO of the other Top 50 RPI Teams would choose to tackle? Was it a wise more by our Head Coach? Most HC's would say no - obviously they would say that because they choose not to do it
According to most on this embarrassingly titled Baron 2.0 Thread the answer is a resounding NO. It was not a wise more. This board cannot handle the losses (albeit close losses).

But for me I am glad he did it. I am happy he scheduled like he did. No reservations at all. Happy with the 1-4 record - of course not. Ready to run the HC out of town? of course not - the season is not 1/4 complete yet. Ready to call the season a complete and utter failure? of course not.
Will this tough OOC scheduling pay off?
Only time will tell.

I've said it before and stick to it that the Title of Thread is way, way, way off base calling it Baron 2.0. That makes no sense to me.

For many, many years the thrashing that Baron took on this board was relentless, non-stop, brutal, monotonous, sometimes personal, posters were brutalizing the guy constantly and then some immediately departed or soon thereafter when Baron left.....never to return. Baron could not do anything right, not press conferences, not post game shows, not sideline demeanor, not his accent, not quotes to the Projo, everything he did was wrong. I rarely ever let my opinion be known about how I felt about the guy and got labeled a Baron Ballwasher - a disgusting name calling if I ever heard one - yet people did not even know where I stood. Since he has gone I have realized that he was worse than I thought he was. But if you didn't join the hanging mob you were a Baron Ballwasher - even if you never committed one way or the other.

Since Baron, I have observed the uptick in the quality of academics, the virtual elimination of behavior issues, players respecting one another and the coaches, recruiting from High Performing AAU and High School Teams, high caliber preseason tournaments, being ranked in the Top 25, being picked to win the A10 preseason, getting pay increases for the Assistant Coaches, bringing in a top notch academic advisor, a Head Coach and Assistant Coaches who will individually take the blame for a loss not as before to blame everything but himself, a Head Coach who knows the game and has lived it his entire life and can articulate his observations in the Post Game show with poise, bringing in a top notch strength and conditioning coach, team and player discipline, recruiting players with good attitudes who as Alumni we will all be proud to have graduated from our State University, new weight training facility, money for charter flights to away games, more attention from the National Press, pride back in the URI Basketball Program around the country, URI being talked about again, promoting assistants to jobs at Boston College then to Creighton, to Arizona State, to Xavier, an assistant HC getting ready to assume a promotion in David Cox.............and Baron in all of his years? Pat Skerry to PC, and others? crickets??

To say Baron was a 4 and Hurley is a 6? to say Hurley is Baron 2.0? to say they are even? to say the gap is not that large? to say the gap is closing?

The same environment that was present for many years, especially the last 3 years, with Baron is starting to show signs of returning.

Are things perfect? No.
Is the URI Basketball Program in a different place than it was before Dan Hurley arrived? For me it is a resounding yes. It is not even remotely close to where we were. NOT EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE.

I am embarrassed that this thread exists on the KeaneyBlue Board. I am bewildered and astounded that anybody can believe that DH remotely equates to JB. The program is far ahead of where we were.

But all are entitled to their opinion, even if it does not agree with the majority
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm not saying to schedule cupcakes. I'm saying beat more than one out 5 good teams.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

hrstrat57 wrote:

yeah, and thats EXACTLY what we were stuck saying in the Baron years...almost word for word. 07-08...if only they had 1 more basket against UMass, they dance.

The list of 'if only 1 thing went different' moments under Baron is exactly why he was fired. The point of all of this is to change those 'if only' moments to 'when we did' moments.

Otherwise we are in exactly the same situation as under Baron, a bunch of close but no cigars and a heap of 'hey, at least' moral victory BS to rest our heads on.

Sorry, after 17 years, people can shove their moral victories up their ***...I want wins or get out, no more excuses
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

ramster wrote:So next year we should go back to Baron scheduling. This way we can:
- Enter A10 Conference Play 12-0 or 11-1 :D :D
- Everybody excited, riding high, saying we should be ranked Top 25, we are getting screwed because we are not ranked :D :D
- Ryan Center filling up because we are 12-0 and playing Maine, New Hampshire, Wagner, :D :D
- Not see players have to perform under pressure, play against other Top 50 RPI Teams, see who steps up and who doesn't, see where the weaknesses are :D :D
- Not have Hurley is Baron 2.0 threads :D :D
- Not blame anything and everything on the Head Coach. Rave about how great the players are doing. :D :D

Personally I want to see:
- How the William & Mary Game works out
- How the 18 Game A10 Conference Games work out
- How the A10 Post Season Tournament works out
- How the NCAA Tournament Selection Process works out

Does the tough OOC Schedule prove to have been a benefit or a non-benefit? The 3 Road Games that ZERO of the other Top 50 RPI Teams would choose to tackle? Was it a wise more by our Head Coach? Most HC's would say no - obviously they would say that because they choose not to do it
According to most on this embarrassingly titled Baron 2.0 Thread the answer is a resounding NO. It was not a wise more. This board cannot handle the losses (albeit close losses).

But for me I am glad he did it. I am happy he scheduled like he did. No reservations at all. Happy with the 1-4 record - of course not. Ready to run the HC out of town? of course not - the season is not 1/4 complete yet. Ready to call the season a complete and utter failure? of course not.
Will this tough OOC scheduling pay off?
Only time will tell.

I've said it before and stick to it that the Title of Thread is way, way, way off base calling it Baron 2.0. That makes no sense to me.

For many, many years the thrashing that Baron took on this board was relentless, non-stop, brutal, monotonous, sometimes personal, posters were brutalizing the guy constantly and then some immediately departed or soon thereafter when Baron left.....never to return. Baron could not do anything right, not press conferences, not post game shows, not sideline demeanor, not his accent, not quotes to the Projo, everything he did was wrong. I rarely ever let my opinion be known about how I felt about the guy and got labeled a Baron Ballwasher - a disgusting name calling if I ever heard one - yet people did not even know where I stood. Since he has gone I have realized that he was worse than I thought he was. But if you didn't join the hanging mob you were a Baron Ballwasher - even if you never committed one way or the other.

Since Baron, I have observed the uptick in the quality of academics, the virtual elimination of behavior issues, players respecting one another and the coaches, recruiting from High Performing AAU and High School Teams, high caliber preseason tournaments, being ranked in the Top 25, being picked to win the A10 preseason, getting pay increases for the Assistant Coaches, bringing in a top notch academic advisor, a Head Coach and Assistant Coaches who will individually take the blame for a loss not as before to blame everything but himself, a Head Coach who knows the game and has lived it his entire life and can articulate his observations in the Post Game show with poise, bringing in a top notch strength and conditioning coach, team and player discipline, recruiting players with good attitudes who as Alumni we will all be proud to have graduated from our State University, new weight training facility, money for charter flights to away games, more attention from the National Press, pride back in the URI Basketball Program around the country, URI being talked about again, promoting assistants to jobs at Boston College then to Creighton, to Arizona State, to Xavier, an assistant HC getting ready to assume a promotion in David Cox.............and Baron in all of his years? Pat Skerry to PC, and others? crickets??

To say Baron was a 4 and Hurley is a 6? to say Hurley is Baron 2.0? to say they are even? to say the gap is not that large? to say the gap is closing?

The same environment that was present for many years, especially the last 3 years, with Baron is starting to show signs of returning.

Are things perfect? No.
Is the URI Basketball Program in a different place than it was before Dan Hurley arrived? For me it is a resounding yes. It is not even remotely close to where we were. NOT EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE.

I am embarrassed that this thread exists on the KeaneyBlue Board. I am bewildered and astounded that anybody can believe that DH remotely equates to JB. The program is far ahead of where we were.

But all are entitled to their opinion, even if it does not agree with the majority

your entire false rant has been proven wrong a few pages ago. Baron actually scheduled much tougher than Hurley has.

Just from 07-08 to 09-10, they played

7-08...in OOC we played @USF, @UAB, @BC, @Syracuse, home PC and won 4 of 5.
08-09...in OOC played @Duke, home VCU, @PC, @Penn St, @Villanova, neutral OK State
09-10...in OOC played @Davidson, @VCU, home PC, @BC, neutral OK State
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

False rant?
I could just as easily say this entire Baron 2.0 is a false rant. In fact I think I will.

Guess that makes Baron and Hurley equal. Let's just leave out everything else in my false rant.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You can't possibly tell me that Baron scheduled tougher OOC Schedules than what Hurley just scheduled.

So if Jim Baron scheduled OOC Games that could be categorized by the 9 bullet points below then I will agree with you. He did not win 20 games for many years on end by scheduling tough teams in OOC.

But if you are going to tell me that Jim Baron scheduled tough OOC Schedules and performed well in them then I literally give up.

If he was that good you win - bring him back - we should never have let him go in the first place - he is not coaching, just pick up the freaken phone.

This thread is beyond belief.

•Additionally, Rhode Island is the only top 50 RPI team
to have played three true road games vs top 50 opponents.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Can Dan actually take credit for scheduling Cincinnati and Duke? Is accepting an invitation to a tournament a scheduling victory?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:I'm not saying to schedule cupcakes. I'm saying beat more than one out 5 good teams.
If you schedule 3 teams like PC, Valparaiso and Houston on the road - something no other Top 50 RPI team did in the entire country then there exists a possibility that you could lose all 3. If you schedule Cincinnati and Duke on a neutral court then there is the possibility you could lose both of those. We could have gone 0-5.
3 of the games we lost were very close point spreads and we lost by very close margins. We lost all 3. We could have won all 3. We didn't
We learned a lot about our team - some of which we did not like. Several players on this team are not playing as well as they did last year, some are playing better, some the same.
Let the A10 Conference Games begin.

If you schedule the a tough OOC Schedule you must deal with the possibility of more losses than you expected and man up to it. You can shrink, whine, cry, point fingers, get player dissension, OR you can suck it up and become stronger.

Which one will it be? I'm betting on stronger and in the long run we will have benefited from the difficult scheduling. Time to suck it up.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

The regular season is more than 1/3 over. If it was not even 1/4 complete as you state, we would play over 44 games. After the W&M game the season is 40% over. It's not early in the season anymore...
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

With Hassan playing we beat Houston. Tough break.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Rhody Guy wrote:With Hassan playing we beat Houston. Tough break.
I'd like to think so too but basketball isn't that black and white. If Hassan played would EC have scored 31?
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

We beat bad to mediocre teams where we have a advantage in quality of player. We then lay an egg when we play teams of equal or better talent...where coaching matters. The record is what it is...Dan needs to figure it out or this thread will keep growing.

I also think these players are not good together, as I said before...there appears to be a lack of chemistry...The sum is worse than the parts. But I guess you can say good coaching makes the sum greater than the parts...
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:I'm not saying to schedule cupcakes. I'm saying beat more than one out 5 good teams.
I agree...and while writing practically a full page article on 'how wonderful' it was to schedule tough opponents is nice...it's probably only going to help ensure this thread makes double digit pages, especially if it gets quoted a few more times.

It's interesting that there's a need to write that much about the schedule when most of the games are losses. If they had won 3 or 4...thinking the responses would likely have been more succinct...losing seems to require a lot more 'splaining, but that still doesn't make it 'not losing'....
0 x