'18 MD PF Jermaine Harris (URI Signed LOI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Sox1
Abdul Fox

Re: '18 MD PF Jermaine Harris (URI Signed LOI)

Unread post by Sox1 »

I've been a Rhody Fan for about 10 years and have never seen anyone with a higher recruitment status, or better player, than EC. From the looks of it, Jermaine and EC have very different games and I just want to see what a similar recruit (or better) looks like with that style. I'm just trying to understand what he's good at and why he got the awards/rankings he did.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Sox1 - we have had a recent run of trolls coming here pretending to be fans only to backhand compliment players, coaches, fans and the program in general. Hence the skepticism. People here are also super excited about Harris, hence the defensiveness. I wouldn’t take it personally. If you keep posting, your perspective will become evident and people will relax.

As far as Harris, I’m not a video guy myself, but do a YouTube search and you’ll probably come up with something. Maryland POY is no joke, so whatever the videos show, I think you should be excited about seein this guy in a URI jersey in the fall.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Sox1
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Sox1 »

Thanks! Youtube's selection is pretty limited, unfortunately. Don't get me wrong, i'm thrilled to have him and over the moon he chose us when there was interest from some of the bigger programs - so I know he can play. I'm just excited to see what to expect. This year is going to be a blast!
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Sox1 wrote:I've been a Rhody Fan for about 10 years and have never seen anyone with a higher recruitment status, or better player, than EC. From the looks of it, Jermaine and EC have very different games and I just want to see what a similar recruit (or better) looks like with that style. I'm just trying to understand what he's good at and why he got the awards/rankings he did.
Yeah, I don't think you are trolling. I think its more due diligence and you legitimately haven't seen much video on Harris. Ranking wise, yes he ranked better then EC and in the same neighborhood as Terrell, but he a different player then those two obvisously. People here (as am I) are so excited for this kid becasue he is a legitmate beast as a big man.

Many KBers have posted that it's really a challnege getting a 4* big in the A10, and being the MD player of the year is a awesome win and validates how much this kid keeps improving. Beating out Jalen Smith (Maryland commit) and Immanuel Quickley (Kentucky commit) is huge

THis kid is gonna be a stud. Hopefully more vids pop up as you search, but I think your initial question was honest, not trolling
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Sox1 wrote:I've been a Rhody Fan for about 10 years and have never seen anyone with a higher recruitment status, or better player, than EC. From the looks of it, Jermaine and EC have very different games and I just want to see what a similar recruit (or better) looks like with that style. I'm just trying to understand what he's good at and why he got the awards/rankings he did.

Best way to view his highlight videos to see how good he was this past year is on his twitter. If you scroll through his feed there are a couple games that demonstrate his skills and highlight videos. This video shows his offense capabilities from all three areas and up and down the court mobility. Maybe one or two blocks are shown but this is more of a team highlight then Jermaine harris.

0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Most guys his size who are coordinated enough to do the basketball equivalent of walking and chewing gum at the same time go to bigger programs than URI, simply because there are so few of them in any given year. His skill level for his size is light years beyond any prospect we have had in recent memory. Skilled guards are much easier to come by.

One aspect of his game that gets me really excited is it seems as though he is a very solid FT shooter, and seems to get to the line a lot. It seemed like every time someone shared a box score from one of his games he was 8-8, 9-11, etc. Not many big men are that proficient.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

A good comparison for Jermaine would be Jalen Sticks Smith. I think it's a good comparison because they both play the same position, power forward. Jalen Smith is a 6'10, 5* PF from Baltimore. He is also a McDonald's All-American. He is ranked #27 nationally. He is going to Maryland. Jalen made 1st team All-Maryland this year. That's how good he is. Maryland is loaded with talent. But one player beat him out for Maryland player of the year, a player who the voters had an easy time comparing, because he plays the same position as Jalen. That would be Jermaine Harris. Jermaine also beat out another 5* McDonald's All-American for the Maryland player of the year, Immanuel Quickley (former teammate of Michael Tertsea). Quickley is going to Kentucky. It's hard to compare Quickley to Jermaine because Quickley is a PG. But Quickley is ranked #15 nationally in the '18 class. The fact that Jermaine beat out both of these guys speaks volumes. We got a really good one!!
6 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

wpbrown8267 wrote:
Yeah, I don't think you are trolling. I think its more due diligence and you legitimately haven't seen much video on Harris. Ranking wise, yes he ranked better then EC and in the same neighborhood as Terrell, but he a different player then those two obvisously. People here (as am I) are so excited for this kid becasue he is a legitmate beast as a big man.

Many KBers have posted that it's really a challnege getting a 4* big in the A10, and being the MD player of the year is a awesome win and validates how much this kid keeps improving. Beating out Jalen Smith (Maryland commit) and Immanuel Quickley (Kentucky commit) is huge

THis kid is gonna be a stud. Hopefully more vids pop up as you search, but I think your initial question was honest, not trolling
I think the exciting thing is that I seem to remember talk of him being raw but having a college ready body. I thought a lot of his ranking was projecting what he could be. If he's already beating out those players now it seems like he's realizing his potential.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Yeah I think there is clear improvements in his game that he has been working on with Chris Cole that has shown up this past year. I think adding the range out to the 3 point shot was a big improvement over the previous years. Seemed to almost average a 3 pointer a game. I also think his off the bounce driving ability has significantly improved. Most of the extra polish he has picked up over the past year to year and a half looks to be on the offensive end. I still think he has room for improvement in the offense game which is scary given his extreme motor around the rim that will never disappear. The area he needs to improve on the most imo is his defensive positioning and shot blocking. I think the timing of the shot block is the biggest area he will need to develop in college.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
Somebody tagged Brendan Adams in the comment section of this tweet.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I know. Hilarious. Here that is for anyone curious but unadventurous:

2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I gave my gut reaction to Sox1's very first post....I don't follow Rhody basketball to be entertained....I follow because I am an alum who loves the University....so there is that....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

sevegny7 wrote:

Best way to view his highlight videos to see how good he was this past year is on his twitter. If you scroll through his feed there are a couple games that demonstrate his skills and highlight videos. This video shows his offense capabilities from all three areas and up and down the court mobility. Maybe one or two blocks are shown but this is more of a team highlight then Jermaine harris.

A couple spots that jumped out to me in this clip: 1) 5:10 mark - fed the ball at the high post, strong dribble into traffic to make his move, battled for his own rebound, and made the follow up. 2) 5:35 mark - won the race to the 50/50 ball and took it all the way to the rack flanked by a couple defenders for the transition layup. Those are EFFORT plays. Big guys with skills have a tendency to fall in love with the finesse game. I did see him make 3 three's, which is impressive range for a big guy this age. Just don't want him turning into an Orion Outerbridge. But for the next two years, man this guy looks to have the perfect complementary skill set to Cyril.

Another note, obviously since this is a highlight video, we didn't see a lot of defense. I noticed that Rock Creek was playing zone most of (the whole?) game. I guess I forgot how common that is in high school. Positioning for bigs in man-to-man defense is everything. Knowing when to front a guy, hold your spot and not let a guy get too deep on you, help off your guy and defend the rim from the weak side... those are crucial skills that have to become instinctual. Once Hassan learned to play D without fouling, he became a master of this. Get this kid studying Kevin Garnett and Bill Russell videos.
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Wow! Jermaine is a PLAYER!!!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Jermaine is down 7 spots in the final Rivals 150 to #84. Keep in mind, during this rankings period two notable things happened: he committed to and reaffirmed his choice to go to URI, and he won Maryland POY over Immanuel Quickley (#20), Jalen Smith (#22) and Noah Locke (#61), proving yet again that rankings are pretty bullshit.
10 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Jermaine comes in at #86 in Final ESPN rankings.

I can complain or take exception with exactly where he comes in on these lists in relation to other players - few spots here or there - but big picture it is great to have Jermaine recognized as a solidly top-100 guy. And it is to our benefit that he is underrated - I believe that four years, from now when all of these guys have finished playing, that a re-rank of this class will have him much higher than where he is now.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Harris, Langevine and Tate are going to be one helluva front court. With Martin on the wing and Dowtin and Fatts up front? This is going to be fun to watch.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Jermaine playing in the Capital Classic
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Fantastic is it on TV ??
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I always get a little nervous when I see there is a new post on this thread...
4 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

STC wrote:I always get a little nervous when I see there is a new post on this thread...
And I thought I was the only one who checks every new post in this thread with a nervous fear of impending doom. I can't wait to get Jermaine enrolled in summer school. Lol.
4 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

So how'd Jermaine do? InqURIng minds want to know!
:P
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PeteRI wrote:So how'd Jermaine do? InqURIng minds want to know!
:P
He didn’t do too much. All Star game isn’t really a good format for him. No defense with a lot of 3s launched and fastbreak layups.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Nice honor for Jermaine. First (Elite) Team is 4 five player teams by position (20 players in total). The teams have 2 G, 2 F & C. Second Team All-American is 30 players (list is in alphabetical order). Jermaine is listed as a Second Team All-American forward. The Second Team list has 12 G, 16 F & 2 C.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:Nice honor for Jermaine. First (Elite) Team is 4 five player teams by position (20 players in total). The teams have 2 G, 2 F & C. Second Team All-American is 30 players (list is in alphabetical order). Jermaine is listed as a Second Team All-American forward. The Second Team list has 12 G, 16 F & 2 C.
Also, no David Duke or AJ Reeves. Both were rated quite a bit higher than Jermaine. I like that!
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ballislife factored in positions. They selected 22 Guards. 247 Composite rankings have David Duke as 23rd Guard (44th overall) and AJ Reeves as 24th Guard (47th overall).
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Ratings mean squat. Perfect example is MAL being a 4 star who shoots 51% on free throws and about 12% on 3s. I believe Jermaine is legit but for the most part I am from Missouri--SHOW ME.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice stuff by that list we got a Top 50 guy awesome !!
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Looks like Bryant got Jermaine's Head Coach from Rock Creek. Good to see they'll be closer to each other, seems like they had a good relationship.

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Saw a pic of Fatts, Jermaine and Tate playing pickup on Instagram
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:Saw a pic of Fatts, Jermaine and Tate playing pickup on Instagram
They beat three bros from AE Pi 326-1
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote:Saw a pic of Fatts, Jermaine and Tate playing pickup on Instagram
Under whose instagram account?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Is there a way to post that pic here ??
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

546D0A15-89A6-4B14-A647-2901AFC94158.jpeg
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

bigappleram wrote:546D0A15-89A6-4B14-A647-2901AFC94158.jpeg
Don’t forget Omar, he’s there too
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That is awesome !!
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Can’t wait to see this kid play.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Do some work Jermaine!!!
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Just what the doctor ordered!
1 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow Jonny Rothstein loves Jermaine , that's great news !!
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Very nice compliment..... I’m very excited about this kid
0 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

I think a good comparison with the Walker recruitment is the Harris one. Coach Cox was on both early on before they blew up and became top 100 players. They both saw the bright city (conference) lights but 1 couldn't help but be lured by them and forgot all about the team from the A10 (not even having them in his final 4). The other thought about loyalty and how that A10 coach was with him from the beginning (when he say's he wasn't that good). Every kid should go where he wants to so no hard feelings to AW (It's hard to turn around from those bright lights) but it shows what a special kid that young Mr. Harris is. I think how good this team is this year is how good the combo of Tate/Martin/Silverio are because Harris (along with the returning big 3) is a given and by the end of this year and certainly going forward he will be the talk of the A10 AND nationally. I think it was Fatts orJD who said he was surprised how good a shooter Harris is so I think he will be a double/double machine and if he stays all 4 years will be putting up some pretty impressive career #'s.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Why didn't Jermaine play in the scrimmage against St. Johns?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

FDshoes wrote: 5 years ago Why didn't Jermaine play in the scrimmage against St. Johns?
I think it was mentioned in the scrimmage thread he had an illness. No big deal.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund