David Cox Elevated to Associate Head Coach

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

David Cox Elevated to Associate Head Coach

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhode Island men's basketball assistant coach David Cox has been promoted to associate head coach, Dan Hurley announced today.

http://gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/2015 ... 0517hqln3n
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: David Cox Elevated to Associate Head Coach

Unread post by adam914 »

0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Congrats, Coach Cox!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

A well deserved promotion. I'm very happy they were able to keep him, both for what he brings to the program and to finally have a little continuity in the staff. Glad you decided to stay, coach!
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

ace wrote:A well deserved promotion. I'm very happy they were able to keep him, both for what he brings to the program and to finally have a little continuity in the staff. Glad you decided to stay, coach!
Ace, maybe I'm reading too much into your post but could you clarify what you mean by 'glad you decided to stay'? We're there other teams courting David Cox? If so, can you divulge those schools?
Last edited by STC 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

STC wrote:
ace wrote:A well deserved promotion. I'm very happy they were able to keep him, both for what he brings to the program and to finally have a little continuity in the staff. Glad you decided to stay, coach!
Ace, maybe I'm reading too much into your post but could you clarify what you mean by 'glad you decided to stay'. We're there other teams courting David Cox? If so, can you divulge who those schools?
I forget exactly which story said it now, but either Koch or Disano did mention he was being courted by other schools as an assistant. Didn't mention any names though.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If we make Sweet 16 next year I think Cox may get a head job sooner than later especially with his top notch recruiting skills like Skerry was
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Quality assistants are always in demand. Great news to have Coach Cox on board for what should be a special season.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

If you've noticed, every time Hurley's contract has been renegotiated, there is always a stipulation to increase the assistant's salary pool. Keeping high quality staff around is a must. If we can't afford to keep the good ones, they'll get other jobs and then most of the summer/offseason is spent hunting for a new coach, and then trying to get them to assimilate and learn everything.

Keeping Cox is huge on its own, but symbolic of how far that this program has come now that we can afford to keep guys like him.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Blue Man hints at something many have said before -- every time the renegotiation has come up Dan has asked for things that raise the bar for the program well beyond his existence as the coach. So the next guy walking in will have a competitive assistant salary budget, enhanced training facilities, better Ryan Center experience to sell recruits, so forth and so on. These things all survive well past Dan which is why anyone with a brain has been nothing but supportive of his renegotiating efforts.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

ONe of the articles said there's a pool of $400,000 for basketball staff. I'm guessing that only includes the three assistants and the DBO. So maybe Cox is making $145,000 and the other two less ... And maybe Hurley has eliminated the asst DBO and is using that money elsewhere.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It's why things like an $800,000 salary pool for assistants is pretty intriguing, even when you know you're not taking the (Rutgers) job.
0 x