'16 DC F Antwan Walker (URI Transfer)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: '16 DC F Antwan Walker (URI Transfer)

Unread post by theblueram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago 3 years ago.
Walker looks more like a 3 than a 4 in this clip. But he looks talented. Great add.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Re: '16 DC F Antwan Walker

Unread post by Bos8 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
Bos8 wrote: 8 years ago Great player. Lead Woodson to an undefeated season. Athletic and long. One local publication named him the DC player of the year over Jeff Dowtin and Anthony Cowan (Maryland) as well as his teammate Kiyon Boyd.
Bos8,
I’m thinking you are happy with this news?
Yeah for sure. I actually haven't seen him since the game clip that BillyBoy posted, but he had a great senior season. He is at worse a better version of Preston.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Bos8 wrote: 5 years ago
Bos8 wrote: 8 years ago Great player. Lead Woodson to an undefeated season. Athletic and long. One local publication named him the DC player of the year over Jeff Dowtin and Anthony Cowan (Maryland) as well as his teammate Kiyon Boyd.
Bos8,
I’m thinking you are happy with this news?
Yeah for sure. I actually haven't seen him since the game clip that BillyBoy posted, but he had a great senior season. He is at worse a better version of Preston.
Ya mean an 11 mpg/3.7 ppg senior Preston?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
79RhodyFan wrote: 5 years ago Just for the sake of discussion because I have no idea but is there any chance that Cox pulled the offer to Mcleod to go with Walker? With no offer from URI Mcleod's decision was made for him? I know probably not but it makes a good story.

Given the timing, it looks more like the offer to Walker was made after McLeod spurned URI. If not, there would have been no reason not to announce t earlier.
Question RF1,
If McLeod had picked URI last night would the Walker transfer have still taken place?
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

for whatever it is worth, he was 4 star on espn http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... wan-walker
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
adam914 wrote: 5 years ago Which part isn't true? Bishop and Walker weren't our top two targets?
Bishop was, for sure. Walker and Mading were both equal priority.
I have a hard time believing that, but if so I hope they're right on Mading. Seems they must be much higher on him than most other schools were given his other offers and then when compared to Walker's offers.
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

We recruited him as a three coming out of high school. I believe ESPN had him as a four-star after his prep year. He’ll add some maturity in that he’ll be three years out of high school with three years of eligibility remaining.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago We recruited him as a three coming out of high school. I believe ESPN had him as a four-star after his prep year. He’ll add some maturity in that he’ll be three years out of high school with three years of eligibility remaining.
That's a good point. Three years remaining but an older kid which could be good for this team.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago
adam914 wrote: 5 years ago Which part isn't true? Bishop and Walker weren't our top two targets?
I have a hard time believing that, but if so I hope they're right on Mading. Seems they must be much higher on him than most other schools were given his other offers and then when compared to Walker's offers.
I truly believe the fans let rankings dictate how they feel about a player. The staff let personal evaluations and their experience dictate the priority. We have a coach from Team USA who has coached lottery picks and a former NBA coach to gauge the type of talent we recruit and bring. The rankings are a plus, or sometimes a hype machine, but it doesn’t move the coaches in one direction or another. Collin Gillespie is Nova’s starting PG, and he held offers from Albany, Maine and Fairleigh Dickinson. That’s it. And this is NOVA we are talking about, who just graduated Jalen Brunson.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Wow. Thanks s came out of nowhere
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

If anything, he brings a sense of competition for playing time for the current freshmen class for next year. That's for sure.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I truly believe the fans let rankings dictate how they feel about a player. The staff let personal evaluations and their experience dictate the priority. We have a coach from Team USA who has coached lottery picks and a former NBA coach to gauge the type of talent we recruit and bring. The rankings are a plus, or sometimes a hype machine, but it doesn’t move the coaches in one direction or another. Collin Gillespie is Nova’s starting PG, and he held offers from Albany, Maine and Fairleigh Dickinson. That’s it. And this is NOVA we are talking about, who just graduated Jalen Brunson.
So what's up with the greek stiff? Who evaluated him? And why are we spending a scholly on him?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago

So what's up with the greek stiff? Who evaluated him? And why are we spending a scholly on him?
They needed a practice body, that’s evident. It doesn’t hurt anything.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I believe that to, but I never mentioned rankings I mentioned offers. Every other staff in the country also lets personal evaluations dictate priority, and the staffs that made Walker a priority come from better programs than the staffs that made Mading a priority. Because of that it would surprise me if our staff had Walker and Mading equal priority.

Again, hopefully they are right if that is the case. I’m certainly not rooting against them!
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I don’t believe that at all. Walker is completely different talent than Mading. One guy gets recruited by big time schools and is ranked in the 70’s and another has an offer from Tulane and is ranked in the 330’s with mention as a redshirt candidate. It is alright to like a guy and some may like him more than others, but we can’t be sour at the guys we lose who went to bigger schools and act like we got a player of similiar talent and it was no big deal. Walker is on another planet from Mading
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
I don’t believe that at all. Walker is completely different talent than Mading. One guy gets recruited by big time schools and is ranked in the 70’s and another has an offer from Tulane and is ranked in the 330’s with mention as a redshirt candidate. It is alright to like a guy and some may like him more than others, but we can’t be sour at the guys we lose who went to bigger schools and act like we got a player of similiar talent and it was no big deal. Walker is on another planet from Mading
On another note I hope Mading is the better player than Walker and hope he can develop his body through their improved lifting and training program. I agree that rankings are misleading, but experts will back the fact on these two at this point of their careers.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

They needed a practice body, that’s evident. It doesn’t hurt anything.
I’ve made the point here before that I think scholarships should obligate the school for 4 years and should only not be renewed if there is cause. That said, under the current rules, if the player and the coaches both see the benefit of bringing a guy in for one year (if, for instance, the coaches have an unused scholarship and a need for a body, the player wants to get the free year of school, the training, the development, the experience of major college basketball), then I’d be fine with that. As long as everyone knew the deal going in it is a win-win.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

79RhodyFan wrote: 5 years ago Just for the sake of discussion because I have no idea but is there any chance that Cox pulled the offer to Mcleod to go with Walker? With no offer from URI Mcleod's decision was made for him? I know probably not but it makes a good story.

Given the timing, it looks more like the offer to Walker was made after McLeod spurned URI. If not, there would have been no reason not to announce t earlier.
Question RF1,
If McLeod had picked URI last night would the Walker transfer have still taken place?

My opinion based on the timeline of events is that Walker was the back up plan and his offer was likely contigent on McLeod not coming here.

No inside info. Just my read on things.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Question RF1,

My opinion based on the timeline of events is that Walker was the back up plan and his offer was likely contigent on McLeod not coming here.

Not a bad contingent plan, coach and staff keep hustling
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Who really cares who was a priority and who wasnt. Or who was the first option and whose was the backup. We have Walker and mcleod is off to fsu to ride the pine. We got a very talented person to fill the scholly and is exactly what we need to add to this group. A player that is fringe big east caliber starter as a sophmore. Next years team has some potential if we get some quality development over the course of this year.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Question RF1,

This makes sense considering the timeline, but my guess is that URI would have taken both - I’m guessing it wasn’t one or the other.
But I’m sure we will learn more.
Either way, I love the pick up of Walker - outstanding news.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

SGreenwell wrote: 5 years ago Asked my buddy about him, since he's a Georgetown fan. Here's the thread on their board about his dismissal, since I'm sure it'll be posted here eventually: http://hoyatalk2.proboards.com/thread/3 ... -dismissed - Speculation toward the end of the thread is that he would be eligible for the 2019-20 year if he transferred.
Very encouraging that the overwhelming opinion by Hoya fans was that it was a big loss, and that he was expected to be an impact guy this year.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This is just fantastic news after the kick to the gut we took last night

That video posted above was impressive this kid has skills for his size.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

GTown website listed him last year at 6’9” 230 lbs
https://guhoyas.com/roster.aspx?roster=16&path=mbball
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Over a month ago I had a URI coach tell me they could take five players.
I don’t know the timing on Walker.
I do know that as of Sunday the coaching staff thought McLeod was committing to Rhody.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The video clip from Woodson is the 2015-16 season. He was 6’7” then. If he is 6’9” 230 (per GTown web site) then he is probably a PF. The skill set they talk about in the pieces I have read all include dunks, rebounds & blocks.

If he was eligible for Jan (getting a waiver like so many other players this year) he would fall into a graduating class with Fatts. That would be a better spread of the scholarships. But how would he get up to speed on the defense and offense so quickly. It would also lose him a semester of basketball.

If he is eligible starting next Nov (waiver still needed but is a nobrainer) he would be part of a five player class. It would give him almost a complete year of practice before next season starts. If he got the expected waiver (since he was dismissed before the season started) he would have three full years of basketball.
Last edited by Rhody83 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago The video clip from Woodson is the 2015-16 season. He was 6’7”. Then. If he is 6’9” 230 (per GTown web site) then he is probably a PF. The skill set they talk about in the pieces I have read all include dunks, rebounds & blocks.

If he was eligible for Jan (getting a waiver like so many other players this year) he would fall into a graduating class with Fatts. That would be a better spread of the scholarships. But how would he get up to speed on the defense and offense so quickly. It would also lose him a semester of basketball.

If he is eligible starting next Nov (waiver still needed but is a nobrainer) he would be part of a five player class. It would give him almost a complete year of practice before next season starts. If he got the expected waiver (since he was dismissed before the season started) he would have three full years of basketball.
Only a 4 class for next year if he is eligible in November I believe? Hammond, Mading, Long and Walker. I could be missing someone. I’m hoping next year so he can get up to speed and have 3 full years. You are right about Fatts class as it is only him and Tertsea.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

No, because he played last year, next year he'd be a redshirt sophomore if he doesn't play this year, so he'd be joining this year's freshmen.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago The video clip from Woodson is the 2015-16 season. He was 6’7”. Then. If he is 6’9” 230 (per GTown web site) then he is probably a PF. The skill set they talk about in the pieces I have read all include dunks, rebounds & blocks.

Only a 4 class for next year if he is eligible in November I believe? Hammond, Mading, Long and Walker. I could be missing someone. I’m hoping next year so he can get up to speed and have 3 full years. You are right about Fatts class as it is only him and Tertsea.
No he would be considered a sophmore with 3 years remaining and be with the Harris, Tate, Martin, and Silverio class. Therefore, five man class including him.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

He would be a sophomore, so you add him to this year's freshmen.
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

usa_today_10526413.0.jpg
Ewing is 7 feet. The recruiting sites had him listed as a SF, but the posters in the Georgetown thread say he is a 4.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago

He would be a sophomore, so you add him to this year's freshmen.
Yup. You guys are right. My bad. Getting him now as me thinkI hope he is with the 2019 class.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Here is a highlight from GTown early season game last year. He is #5. Shows up twice in the first minute going for a rebound and posting up down low (doesn’t get the ball). He looks big to me and he looks like he is playing PF. This was 8 games into his Fr year.

0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Generally speaking, URI is a little more isolated compared to city schools. Players can really control the people they come into contact with and typically the people they come into contact with revere them so there is little trouble for them.

So if that was his problem-- he should be good to go in Kingston!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Shouldn’t his status be available to the public by now?
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Shouldn’t his status be available to the public by now?
What status?
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Give cox credit.. Plan b if indeed it really is plan b is in place and he executes quickly... See how it plays out but I look at this as extremely positive
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Sweet - just seeing this !
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Let's not get caught up debating his position. Harris and Walker will see time together so one of them technically won't be playing the 4. Who cares?
4 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Be great to get him for 3 full years

From the Gtown clips looks like a solid 4 man but we know he has the skills to face the basket

Solid pickup pumped for this signing
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Shouldn’t his status be available to the public by now?
What status?
I realize this addition just happened, but any idea when we'll know if he's playing this season or next?
0 x
GO RAMS
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago 3 years ago.
Walker looks more like a 3 than a 4 in this clip. But he looks talented. Great add.
This video is also 3 years old (Dec 2015). He was going to be a 4 in the Big East for GTown this year, he's going to be a big for us.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Seems like a good pickup, all the other first team players are having solid to very good collegiate careers...I believe even one second team player is having a nice career for himself :D .
Last edited by RIFan 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago
What status?
I realize this addition just happened, but any idea when we'll know if he's playing this season or next?
They have to request a waiver from the NCAA for either option because he was enrolled at GTown at the start of this school year.
They won’t be announcing anything until they officially hear back from the NCAA.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

who do we pay to fast track this by 12/1/18 ?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago

What status?
They have to request a waiver from the NCAA for either option because he was enrolled at GTown at the start of this school year.
They won’t be announcing anything until they officially hear back from the NCAA.
And, more than ever, the NCAA has proven themselves to be completely unpredictable with waivers. At one point, Iverson was supposed to be the last guy who benefitted from a waiver and then, slowly, the NCAA is permitting them again. It’s case by case and seemingly illogical. Regardless, they get him as a big and talented practice player this year.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

So at what point does he arrive at URI and start taking classes? Does he finish the semester at GT? Did he already finish there?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am hoping he sits out this year and has 3 full years remaining. Next year we look to be loaded if the young guys can develop
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago So at what point does he arrive at URI and start taking classes? Does he finish the semester at GT? Did he already finish there?
DC would know best. I would assume he left GTown after being dismissed from the team on Oct 11th.
He will start taking class at URI in January. Whether he can participate in practices with the team prior to that would probably depend on the NCAA waiver process.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nice way to pick up a solid player. Not about going the recruiting path so much as what best for the player

http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/11/20/antw ... de-island/

“Coach [David] Cox and his staff were a big part,” Mines told ZAGSBLOG Tuesday. “This process was about trust and loyalty for Antwan. We had been thru the recruiting process before and didn’t need to hear the bells and whistles. [It was about] who was going to be behind him 100% off the court.”

In his senior year at H.D. Woodson (DC) High School, Mines and Walker led the team to a 33-0 record winning a state championship.
“Rhode Island never made it about basketball,” said Mines. “Antwan is a great player and that will take care of itself wherever he went. It was about everything else and Rhode Island checked every box and then some.”
3 x