'16 DC F Antwan Walker (URI Transfer)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: '16 DC F Antwan Walker

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

WOAH, this helps.
1 x
GO RAMS
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Kid was the best player in MD the year his team beat some of the best private schools not only in the state but in the country. Defeated Jeff Dowtin’s and Anthony Cowan (UMD) alma mater St John’s to go undefeated 33-0.
Last edited by DC_Rams 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

SGreenwell wrote: 5 years ago Asked my buddy about him, since he's a Georgetown fan. Here's the thread on their board about his dismissal, since I'm sure it'll be posted here eventually: http://hoyatalk2.proboards.com/thread/3 ... -dismissed - Speculation toward the end of the thread is that he would be eligible for the 2019-20 year if he transferred.
wonder how it gets worded. if he was removed from the school entirely by the school, then that should be immediate eligibility, right?
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

also, Im not entirely worried about a kid that had trouble elsewhere.

worked out fine for us with Kuran and Stan
2 x
---
---
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 5 years ago Asked my buddy about him, since he's a Georgetown fan. Here's the thread on their board about his dismissal, since I'm sure it'll be posted here eventually: http://hoyatalk2.proboards.com/thread/3 ... -dismissed - Speculation toward the end of the thread is that he would be eligible for the 2019-20 year if he transferred.
wonder how it gets worded. if he was removed from the school entirely by the school, then that should be immediate eligibility, right?

Hoping we can get him the second half of this season.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

At least according to posters on the last page of that thread, if you're dismissed from a school, you still have to go through the transfer process. That makes sense to me, because otherwise you could just sandbag your way out of one program so that you'd be immediately eligible for another.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

SGreenwell wrote: 5 years ago
At least according to posters on the last page of that thread, if you're dismissed from a school, you still have to go through the transfer process. That makes sense to me, because otherwise you could just sandbag your way out of one program so that you'd be immediately eligible for another.
guess that makes sense. Im sure they can try a hardship waiver
0 x
---
---
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

great news!

There we go Coach Cox

6'9" 230, yes exactly what we needed after the whole Mcleod thing. See KBers, its karma, Cox is a grinder
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

From what I can gather he hurt his hand in an altercation and was involved with the same person on several occasions-don’t believe it was with another player. The Georgetown fans seemed upset when he was dismissed and seemed excited with how he closed his freshman year and were looking for him to step into a top 7 rotation player. Overall he seemed to be liked by his former high school coach, teammates and Georgetown fans. It is worth the risk and the way we need to go about recruiting. He was ranked 223 in 2017 and came down to Virginia tech, Georgia tech and Georgetown
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago From what I can gather he hurt his hand in an altercation and was involved with the same person on several occasions-don’t believe it was with another player. The Georgetown fans seemed upset when he was dismissed and seemed excited with how he closed his freshman year and were looking for him to step into a top 7 rotation player. Overall he seemed to be liked by his former high school coach, teammates and Georgetown fans. It is worth the risk and the way we need to go about recruiting. He was ranked 223 in 2017 and came down to Virginia tech, Georgia tech and Georgetown
yeah Zags blog mentions it was with a georgetown athlete in another sport.

really sounds like something as simple as staying too close to home
0 x
---
---
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

From that Zagsblog, it seems he lost two inches by transferring to Rhody.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Kid is a physical specimen. Seen Gtown a few times over the past few seasons, I’m extremely excited.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago From what I can gather he hurt his hand in an altercation and was involved with the same person on several occasions-don’t believe it was with another player. The Georgetown fans seemed upset when he was dismissed and seemed excited with how he closed his freshman year and were looking for him to step into a top 7 rotation player. Overall he seemed to be liked by his former high school coach, teammates and Georgetown fans. It is worth the risk and the way we need to go about recruiting. He was ranked 223 in 2017 and came down to Virginia tech, Georgia tech and Georgetown
yeah Zags blog mentions it was with a georgetown athlete in another sport.

really sounds like something as simple as staying too close to home
DPS, that’s exactly what it was. Needs to get away from DC.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I would think this is similar to the Iverson situation -- sit out second semester this year and then be eligible at the start of next season.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Was ready to crush Cox over striking out on his top 3 targets but this is a nice pick up.

Would definitely take Walker over McLeod.
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

STC wrote: 5 years ago Was ready to crush Cox over striking out on his top 3 targets but this is a nice pick up.

Would definitely take Walker over McLeod.
2nd that!
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Our staff is constantly working. Look how quiet they operated with this recruitment. Relax and trust the process, Cox will get the horses, just enjoy the derby.
5 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

So we’ve got an open scholarship this year, but we don’t have an opening next year. Obviously that means someone is going to leave. If I had to choose I would go with Aris or Tertsea. If he has 3 years’ eligibility left starting next year (sit this year) he would essentially be in this years’ freshman class (Tate, Martin, Harris, Omar, Aris).
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Ramrod wrote: 5 years ago So we’ve got an open scholarship this year, but we don’t have an opening next year. Obviously that means someone is going to leave. If I had to choose I would go with Aris or Tertsea. If he has 3 years’ eligibility left starting next year (sit this year) he would essentially be in this years’ freshman class (Tate, Martin, Harris, Omar, Aris).
Aris can go, let the young man go
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Ramrod wrote: 5 years ago So we’ve got an open scholarship this year, but we don’t have an opening next year. Obviously that means someone is going to leave. If I had to choose I would go with Aris or Tertsea. If he has 3 years’ eligibility left starting next year (sit this year) he would essentially be in this years’ freshman class (Tate, Martin, Harris, Omar, Aris).
My guess is Aris. He seems more like a walk on than a scholarship player.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 5 years ago
Aris can go, let the young man go
Agreed.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Don't know much about this kid but glad they got creative and found a way to soften the blow of the 0-for-3. As other said, if it works out as well as Iverson and Stan then we'll be just fine.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The staff knew Mcleod wasn't coming for a while it seems.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago Don't know much about this kid but glad they got creative and found a way to soften the blow of the 0-for-3. As other said, if it works out as well as Iverson and Stan then we'll be just fine.
You think this materialized over the past 12 hours?? The staff KNOWS what they are doing. I truly believe that.

People keep saying they struck out on their Top 3. Mading was a PRIORITY RECRUIT. They were full staff deep all summer on the kid as they were with Walker. Long was a priority recruit, that is why they accepted his commitment so quickly. The staff is assembling the guys they want, not who the fans think they should want. Bishop is the only one we all knew was the primary SG recruit but he didn’t even go on any other OV’s. There was nothing more we could do.
6 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago The staff knew Mcleod wasn't coming for a while it seems.
Negative, go read Rhody83’s posts after the commitment in McLeod’s thread.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I think Antwan was the back up if Naheem didn’t commit. He didn’t and they pulled the trigger. Good for them.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago The staff knew Mcleod wasn't coming for a while it seems.
Would have been funny if they let it slip out. It would have put a damper on the big McLeod announcement in the gym. I know, I know we need to let the kids enjoy their big moment and have their fun!
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Highly doubtful Antwan was the backup to anyone. He is light years more talented and athletic than McLeod. He’s just not 7’3.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Great news IMO. Welcome aboard Antwan. Adds another piece to a very talented core, albeit very young
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

So whats his true height?
0 x
GO RAMS
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

Just for the sake of discussion because I have no idea but is there any chance that Cox pulled the offer to Mcleod to go with Walker? With no offer from URI Mcleod's decision was made for him? I know probably not but it makes a good story.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Highly doubtful Antwan was the backup to anyone. He is light years more talented and athletic than McLeod. He’s just not 7’3.
So you believe that if we had our choice of McLeod or Walker we wouldn’t have taken the 7-3 McLeod? Cmon-you were wanting this guy as much as the rest of us-maybe more. He was ranked lower than McLeod, although another class. Walker should be a nice addition, but we have 18 pages on the forum discussing everything from when McLeod is visiting, what he said on Instagram or twitter and how we should land him. Glad to have walker aboard though. Takes some of the sting away.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Highly doubtful Antwan was the backup to anyone. He is light years more talented and athletic than McLeod. He’s just not 7’3.
So you believe that if we had our choice of McLeod or Walker we wouldn’t have taken the 7-3 McLeod? Cmon-you were wanting this guy as much as the rest of us-maybe more. He was ranked lower than McLeod, although another class. Walker should be a nice addition, but we have 18 pages on the forum discussing everything from when McLeod is visiting, what he said on Instagram or twitter and how we should land him. Glad to have walker aboard though. Takes some of the sting away.
Ramstock, I didn’t know Walker was on the table! Of course I wanted McLeod, but Walker is MUCH better, overall. Just look at his offer list, 20+ offers! I believe we would’ve taken both Walker and McLeod.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

He was here on Saturday in the RC during the football game.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
adam914 wrote: 5 years ago Don't know much about this kid but glad they got creative and found a way to soften the blow of the 0-for-3. As other said, if it works out as well as Iverson and Stan then we'll be just fine.
You think this materialized over the past 12 hours?? The staff KNOWS what they are doing. I truly believe that.

People keep saying they struck out on their Top 3. Mading was a PRIORITY RECRUIT. They were full staff deep all summer on the kid as they were with Walker. Long was a priority recruit, that is why they accepted his commitment so quickly. The staff is assembling the guys they want, not who the fans think they should want. Bishop is the only one we all knew was the primary SG recruit but he didn’t even go on any other OV’s. There was nothing more we could do.
No, of course I don't think this materialized over the past 12 hours. I know the staff recruits more than one player at a time. How about if I start saying we struck out on our top 2 instead? No way anybody is going to convince me that Bishop and Walker were not our top 2 targets. McLeod maybe you can convince me, but I do think he became our top target once we lost out on Bishop and Walker, so that's why in my opinion I put him at 3.
Last edited by adam914 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Any idea what he ended up being rated? He reclassed to 2017 after taking a prep year it looks like. I’ve read things where he was the top player in DC in his original 2016 class. Then I see on VC he was a 2* / not ranked, 247 had him as a 3* and 223 National rank for the 2017 class. Those don’t exactly square.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: '16 DC F Antwan Walker (URI Transfer)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, what does he have left for eligibility? Is it 3 years?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ramrod wrote: 5 years ago Any idea what he ended up being rated? He reclassed to 2017 after taking a prep year it looks like. I’ve read things where he was the top player in DC in his original 2016 class. Then I see on VC he was a 2* / not ranked, 247 had him as a 3* and 223 National rank for the 2017 class. Those don’t exactly square.
Koch said he's a 1 star.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago So, what does he have left for eligibility? Is it 3 years?
Sounds like it would be 3 I think yeah. I'm guessing he'll be able to play from the start next season but who knows.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago

No, of course I don't think this materialized over the past 12 hours. I know the staff recruits more than one player at a time. How about if I start saying we struck out on our top 2 instead? No way anybody is going to convince me that Bishop and Walker were not our top 2 targets. McLeod maybe you can convince me, but I do think he became our top target once we lost out on Bishop and Walker, so that's why in my opinion I put him at 3.
Whether you say it or not, the fact is, it isn’t true. Bottom line, kid can play, and the fact that he had 20+ offers out of HS speak volumes.
0 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Ramrod wrote: 5 years ago Any idea what he ended up being rated? He reclassed to 2017 after taking a prep year it looks like. I’ve read things where he was the top player in DC in his original 2016 class. Then I see on VC he was a 2* / not ranked, 247 had him as a 3* and 223 National rank for the 2017 class. Those don’t exactly square.
I'm still curious, but I almost don't care about the answer to this question. From reading through the GTown thread, there were a bunch of their fans who considered him a borderline starter for them this year. Almost everyone was really disappointed, loved his game, and was looking forward to seeing his development into a solid 4 year player.

I like the numbers he put up in limited minutes last year. Especially 14/15 from the charity stripe! 12 pts / 9 reb per 36 mins as a FR.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Whether you say it or not, the fact is, it isn’t true. Bottom line, kid can play, and the fact that he had 20+ offers out of HS speak volumes.
Which part isn't true? Bishop and Walker weren't our top two targets?
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

79RhodyFan wrote: 5 years ago Just for the sake of discussion because I have no idea but is there any chance that Cox pulled the offer to Mcleod to go with Walker? With no offer from URI Mcleod's decision was made for him? I know probably not but it makes a good story.

Given the timing, it looks more like the offer to Walker was made after McLeod spurned URI. If not, there would have been no reason not to announce t earlier.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Great get! Should get 3 years eligibility. But there is some bs being spoken here.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Which part isn't true? Bishop and Walker weren't our top two targets?
Bishop was, for sure. Walker and Mading were both equal priority.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

3 years ago.
0 x