Red Sox and other Major League Baseball

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Red Sox and other Major League Baseball

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

The Sox BP is doing a nice job, they just have one guy that never has anything so far...Carson Smith...going to go out on a limb and say he won't be on the 25 man at the end of April.

Hanley's going to be an interesting story...$22M option automatically kicks in at 497 PAs. So far, he's a lot better than JD....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The talent disparity in MLB this season is mind boggling.....teams like the Marlins and Rays will be long gone by June.....

In the East, once Toronto cools off which they will, it will be the RS and Yanks all season....and no one else will be close.

Other divisions will be the same.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

rambone 78 wrote:The talent disparity in MLB this season is mind boggling.....teams like the Marlins and Rays will be long gone by June.....

In the East, once Toronto cools off which they will, it will be the RS and Yanks all season....and no one else will be close.

Other divisions will be the same.
Teams like the Cubs, Indians, and Astros have proven bad for baseball -- They showed teams that if you are patient, sometimes for 5-7 years, you'll hopefully accumulate enough assets to hopefully become legitimate contenders and at that point can afford to spend a little extra if needed but should have a team capable of competing. The Marlins employed a similar philosophy, but seemed to be coming up short, so they just blew it up again and will resume the asset accumulation process. The same system fell apart on the Rays, when significant injuries to top guys hurt their chance of building something special -- Injuries to guys like Matt Moore and Alex Cobb never allowed those pitchers to be the same, who knows what happens if you pair those two in their healthy prime with David Price and Chris Archer in 2014. They probably don't keep Price but pair Archer and those two. Still, I think there are enough prospect-heavy programs that have been successful in the last handful of years (whether those prospects develop into players or they trade them for the one or two missing pieces) that now any team that doesn't seem to have it just wants to obtain them. Bad for business. Nothing to blame for that than revenue sharing -- doesn't matter what you do if you are going to get paid the same regardless of if you win 20 games or 120 games.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Are the Sox going to sniff the 84 Tigers 35-5 start?
A big fan favorite from last year...set to face the A's tomorrow night.
Ladies and gents... The Return of the Pommer!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Are the Sox going to sniff the 84 Tigers 35-5 start?
A big fan favorite from last year...set to face the A's tomorrow night.
Ladies and gents... The Return of the Pommer!

thud....
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Ramster is a big Pommer guy. Come back Ramster! Miss your long posts!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The Pommer actually recovered pretty nicely last night...tough break in the first with the wild pitch strikeout...still optimistic for him, good stuff and a real contrast to their other starters.

Another W...amazing run here...absolutely loving all the gomers....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well now that the "best team ever" talk has quieted down a bit over the last 2 days....it's a LONG season and every season has it's ebbs and flows.

This team which is about the same group as last year's which couldn't buy a hit in the clutch...it's baseball.

The Red Sox will be very good if their pitching holds up....an injury or 2 changes everything.

Anointing them WS champs after 20 games is nutso.....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

That David Price...there's a true "gamer".... :roll:
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

217 million for 7 years.....when's he "right" he's pretty good....but he's not often there.....

Anyway, if he ends up out for a big chunk of the season....there goes any chance at the division title.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Wish I could say I was surprised...but looks like Carson Smith is done...
With that motion...was probably only a matter of time anyway.

Glove toss...whatever...if that made it happen, 'the pitch' wasn't far behind...
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Well now that the "best team ever" talk has quieted down a bit over the last 2 days....it's a LONG season and every season has it's ebbs and flows.

This team which is about the same group as last year's which couldn't buy a hit in the clutch...it's baseball.

The Red Sox will be very good if their pitching holds up....an injury or 2 changes everything.

Anointing them WS champs after 20 games is nutso.....
Time to jump start the "best team" talk again...Left the kid in too long - still give 'em a good shot tonight.

Kinda Celtics-like in that they keep winning with guys out.

Will be in Greenville next week, chance to see the Drive again...but, not looking like any standouts there?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The division will be won or lost depending on how the Yanks and Sox do against each other.

The Yanks will add at least another starter before the trading deadline.....could make the difference. If they get DeGrom it would be huge.

As it stands right now they don't have enough quality starters with Montgomery out for the season. There's a lot of talent down on the farm....but not quite ready for the bigs.

But DeGrom would have to cut his hair...would he do it lol?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I think DeGrom's current 'do would pass Yankme muster.

Extra innings for the Sox tonight...no one can hit...could be a loooong night. Hopefully...this reverses that....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I LOVE Devers as a player...but, can someone please please please convince me that he is better with the glove than the Panda?
I mean, I used to think he was and not worry about it, but now I'm not so sure (at all).... Good grief, is there anyone less on the team that you want to see the ball hit to?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Time to fire up the "Sox are unstoppable" talk again... what a team....
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Time to fire up the "Sox are unstoppable" talk again... what a team....
Just teach Devers how to run the bases.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Time to fire up the "Sox are unstoppable" talk again... what a team....
Just teach Devers how to run the bases.
Hey, he may not be the best base runner on the team, but he IS a below average fielder ;)
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Fattening up on a bunch of horrible teams does not make them unbeatable. We'll see in October; will the pitching staff be ready to perform in a big spot?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

All the other playoff teams are going to be making major moves ... Sox are really strapped on what they can do unless they get ultra-aggressive and peel off a major piece going forward (I.E. - Devers).
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Not sure they can even do that (Devers)? No real infield depth. I might be the only one, but I look at Nunez, and feel like every game he plays, might be his last one this year (re-injury just waiting to happen). If Devers goes for pitching (they don't really need bats)...are we ready for potentially large doses of Tsu Wei-Lin (sp)? I'm not...
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

The AL is so weird this year, there are 3 great teams (Yankees, Astros, Red Sox) and then 3 good teams (Mariners, Indians, A's) and the rest is absolute garbage. I feel like it has to be tough for the great/good teams to truly evaluate their needs because they can so easily beat up on most teams in the league but then it'll be a totally different story come playoff time. I can't remember the gap between the top and bottom being this big in a while.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well the Yanks got Britton from the O's....talk about an embarrassment of riches in the bullpen....but they are still a top line starter away from a World Series.....

If they got DeGrom it would be a total game changer, but I see them getting either Archer or Eovaldi from the Rays....

Hell they only need a starter to go 4 innings now.....but when you parade a bunch of relievers out there every game, if one has a bad game they are screwed.....

The Red Sox know about that, with Kelly and Barnes fucking it up.....but they won't see the postseason much.....and they still have Price who implodes at the very sight of the Yankees.

So even though the Sox are having an amazing regular season...it doesn't take much to blow it come October.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Well the Yanks got Britton from the O's....talk about an embarrassment of riches in the bullpen....but they are still a top line starter away from a World Series.....

If they got DeGrom it would be a total game changer, but I see them getting either Archer or Eovaldi from the Rays....

Hell they only need a starter to go 4 innings now.....but when you parade a bunch of relievers out there every game, if one has a bad game they are screwed.....

The Red Sox know about that, with Kelly and Barnes fucking it up.....but they won't see the postseason much.....and they still have Price who implodes at the very sight of the Yankees.

So even though the Sox are having an amazing regular season...it doesn't take much to blow it come October.
Tru dat, rambone! But, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then ('04, '07, '13), so here's to hopin'!
Price is like a human caricature. But, dooshy and overpaid as he is for the role...still a 'decent' #4.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think the Sox will be tougher in the playoffs this year.....they don't have Farrell around to overwork Sale like last season.

But who knows about injuries? That's the real game changer. If you have 3 good starters, it's all good, as long as the bullpen doesn't cough it up.

The Yanks have 1 really good starter and a bunch of inconsistent question marks....but in the regular season, with their lineup, they can get away with it.

And P.S. trade Sanchez....not only doesn't he not hustle, he's still not in shape coming back from the DL, so he hurts himself again trying to run.....maybe that's just an excuse going back to the DL instead of benching his ass.....

He can't hit his weight and can't stop a wiffle ball from getting past him.....what's the record for passed balls in a season?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Playoffs more than anything are about matchups and the bullpen. That's what scares me with the Sox ... They aren't going to be able to beat down these playoff teams 9-3 or 10-2. They are going to have to be able to out-maneuver them late in games and get clutch hitting. You are going to get to the point where teams are pulling their starters in the 5th inning and are just matching up lefties and righties to get strong matchups. That's the Yanks advantage, as long as their starters dont get absolutely demolished in the first 4 innings.

I think this team is the classic beat up on bad pitching team where they put runs up so it hides the warts in the bullpen ... All the other playoff teams are going to go out and add quality arms, the Sox have nothing to offer up for a quality arm. They can go after B and C relievers but that's about it. That's what happens when you make the wrong deals as well as overpay with the prospects you have in the system.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:Playoffs more than anything are about matchups and the bullpen. That's what scares me with the Sox ... They aren't going to be able to beat down these playoff teams 9-3 or 10-2. They are going to have to be able to out-maneuver them late in games and get clutch hitting. You are going to get to the point where teams are pulling their starters in the 5th inning and are just matching up lefties and righties to get strong matchups. That's the Yanks advantage, as long as their starters dont get absolutely demolished in the first 4 innings.

I think this team is the classic beat up on bad pitching team where they put runs up so it hides the warts in the bullpen ... All the other playoff teams are going to go out and add quality arms, the Sox have nothing to offer up for a quality arm. They can go after B and C relievers but that's about it. That's what happens when you make the wrong deals as well as overpay with the prospects you have in the system.
100% Agree. I think this is spot on
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Shaolin Swat wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:Playoffs more than anything are about matchups and the bullpen. That's what scares me with the Sox ... They aren't going to be able to beat down these playoff teams 9-3 or 10-2. They are going to have to be able to out-maneuver them late in games and get clutch hitting. You are going to get to the point where teams are pulling their starters in the 5th inning and are just matching up lefties and righties to get strong matchups. That's the Yanks advantage, as long as their starters dont get absolutely demolished in the first 4 innings.

Same. Except, I'll still take Pomeranz for Espinosa :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Shaolin Swat wrote:

Same. Except, I'll still take Pomeranz for Espinosa :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We're never going to agree on this one lol
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Sox bullpen does give me the shakes tho....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Yet another win for the Sox...yaaawn.
Glad to see they got Kinsler - has always seemed to me the kinda guy I hated to see on the other team, would like to see on mine.

Don't know anything about the two guys they traded, but, if they're 25 and 26 y/o NOHEHOHs...doesn't seem like giving away much.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I like the Kinsler deal. All three deadline deals have been encouraging as far as helping the big league team without Dombrowski’s usual MO of gutting the farm system to do it.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Understood that it was just one game and a blowout, but this Sox team can really be fun to watch.

The stretch of the game last night that started with Bradley scoring on a comebacker to the mound, Benintendi stealing second before the pitcher even started his motion (and then threw too late to second), followed by Pearce's dinger...was about as exciting a 5 minute stretch of baseball as you can get. Great stuff.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

wow...went to bed waaaay too late, with sox trailing 4-1, thinking "3 outta 4 is still pretty good."

Yankee Lite is in a serious slump. Two bats make a huge dfference. Also kinda sux for them that, they finish after midnight in Boston and have to play in Chicago the next night...tough times for the jankees....
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Just some basic math ...
If the Red Sox go 20-29 the rest of the way, the Yanks would have to go 32-20 to outright win the division.
If the Red Sox go 24-25 the rest of the way, the Yanks would have to go 36-16 to outright win the division.
If the Red Sox go 29-20 the rest of the way, the Yanks would have to go 41-11 to outright win the division.
And if the Red Sox play to their 69.9% win percentage and go 34-15, the Yanks would have to go 46-6 to outright win the division.
Looking pretty good...
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

More fight in the booth than on the field in D-troit?

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2460 ... ltercation
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Division champs! In the Bronx!
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Betts is the difference in that lineup.....without him, they are very beatable.

They will need him to have a huge playoff performance....their pitching is suspect especially if Sale isn't 100%.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ouch.
Excerpt From ESPN write up of tonight’s game

Price is now 0-9 in 10 career postseason starts (he has two wins as a reliever). Price's teams have never won a postseason game that he's started, the 10 straight losses the longest streak in postseason history. Next closest is Randy Johnson, whose teams lost seven straight starts. Price is also the only pitcher in MLB history to allow multiple earned runs in each of his first 10 career postseason starts. The only pitcher to allow multiple earned runs in 11 straight postseason starts is Roger Clemens, but those starts were not at the start of his postseason career.

Price's postseason ERA as a starter now stands at 6.03 and he's allowed 13 home runs in 59⅔ innings. This was the shortest starting stint in his career and marked the first time in 299 career starts -- regular or postseason -- in which he failed to record a strikeout.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago Ouch.
Excerpt From ESPN write up of tonight’s game

Price is now 0-9 in 10 career postseason starts (he has two wins as a reliever). Price's teams have never won a postseason game that he's started, the 10 straight losses the longest streak in postseason history. Next closest is Randy Johnson, whose teams lost seven straight starts. Price is also the only pitcher in MLB history to allow multiple earned runs in each of his first 10 career postseason starts. The only pitcher to allow multiple earned runs in 11 straight postseason starts is Roger Clemens, but those starts were not at the start of his postseason career.

Price's postseason ERA as a starter now stands at 6.03 and he's allowed 13 home runs in 59⅔ innings. This was the shortest starting stint in his career and marked the first time in 299 career starts -- regular or postseason -- in which he failed to record a strikeout.
Please opt out!!!!!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I have a friend that goes absolutely bonkers every time Price starts a game against the Yankees.

I will say, keep trotting him out there, and the Sox's chances to a win a WS keep going down.....

Sanchez, he of the .186 BA this season, just loves to see that guy out there.....imagine Price in Yankee Stadium in game 3 or 4.....whoa
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Looks like Price has company when it comes to pitchers who don't have what it takes to win in the playoffs.

Severino is proving that he belongs as a back of the rotation starter.

Also Boone is nuts to start Sabathia tonight instead of Happ and then if necessary Tanaka in Boston.

Oh well, it really looks like whoever does win this series will be fodder for the Astros, who are peaking at the right time.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Sawx

C ya stripers

On to Houston

Go Sawx!
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Looks like Price has company when it comes to pitchers who don't have what it takes to win in the playoffs.

Severino is proving that he belongs as a back of the rotation starter.

Also Boone is nuts to start Sabathia tonight instead of Happ and then if necessary Tanaka in Boston.

Oh well, it really looks like whoever does win this series will be fodder for the Astros, who are peaking at the right time.
The Sox...shall NOT be fodder ;)
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Sox win, sox win, sox win...

Doesn't matter who they play next, Sox in 5. 8-)
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

1 down...three to go... 8-)
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Tonight is crucial. Huge difference between going to LA up 2-0 and being in a best of five series with LA having the home field advantage and us losing the DH
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

So for my 60th bday my wife surprised me with tix for me my son and son in law to game 1 last night. Never done it before. Probably never do it again. So much fun.. Excellent game excellent atmosphere.. Hope Cora keeps pushing right buttons for 3 more games.. Oh yeah looking forward to Thurs night... Rhody rhody rhody!!
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I will be amazed if the Red Sox lose this Series.

Everything Cora does comes up roses. They are getting key plays and hits from everyone, not just the big guys.

When it's your year, it's your year. They are also getting most of the breaks, and their opponents keep making mistakes at the wrong times.

The only thing the Sox have to worry about, is pretty soon they will have to decide who stays and who goes, since there is no way they can keep all of their stars when contract talks come due.

With team payroll at 240 million, something's gotta give.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

For the next 5 years at least, the American League East will be Sox/Yanks or Yanks/Sox......no one else need apply.

Tampa Bays got some nice pitching, but they won't be able to keep them.

Blake Snell is awesome....put him on the Yanks staff, and look out Sox. Best pitcher in the league, bar none.

Yanks now have tons of money to spend, and spend they will.
0 x