Should Every Player Declare for Draft Under New NCAA Rule?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Should Every Player Declare for Draft Under New NCAA Rule?

Unread post by TruePoint »

John Calipari thinks so, as all his players (including walk-ons) will submit their name for the draft. In some ways, I admire Cal's way of rule-pushing and provocateurism, and in some ways I think the new NCAA rule makes sense. And, in some ways, I think there is actual merit to Cal's point here. I also feel that there is something not quite right about this and it clearly wasn't the intended effect of the rule.

http://deadspin.com/as-usual-john-calip ... 1766751731
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Re: Should Every Player Declare for Draft Under New NCAA Rul

Unread post by Ramulous »

I don't see a downside for the players....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I have no problem with what Cal is doing.

MANY more players will be declaring who probably wouldn't have in years past with this new rule (Makai Mason from Yale).

It greatly helps the players gauge where they're at.

Only downside is that it will affect college teams with recruiting, planning, transfers, etc.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I like the rule and have no problem with what Cal is doing. Honestly, it's not much different then when MLB players put a ton of their players on waivers in August.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I have no problem with what Cal is doing, and I hope some URI players put their names out there, too. Especially Hassan. It's good exposure.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Shouldn't both EC and Hassan declare to see where they stand?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don't have any issue with what Cal is doing. I guess my issue is more with the rule, which I like in theory but am worried could lead to the process being inundated and therefore ineffective. You have 351 teams - if all underclassmen declared through this process you're talking about approximately 3,000 players that have to be evaluated when only 40 or so have any shot at all of getting picked. Cal is doing the right thing for his players under the rule, but in doing so is exposing a pretty big flaw with the rule itself, IMO (although I don't know the answer and I doubt Cal does either).
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

The guys most likely to be drafted will be invited to the combine. The guys with potential but not ready for the nba yet will probably be given a solid evaluation on what they need to do to get drafted. Then walk ons and other guys with no shot will probably be told they're not going to get drafted and I doubt they will get much of an evaluation. Ultimately what Cal is doing is pointless and I think most players will realize if they have no shot of making the nba then there's no reason to enter the draft.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

I think this does two things. One, it gives UK some pub even thought they have been knocked out. He is a master marketer. Two, more importantly, it essentially eliminates any questions about which guys are going pro that Cal might get. He can simply say they are all being evaluated and will make a decision by the deadline. Doesn't have to separate Skal from Ullis from whoever. And, like everyone said, no skin off his back,
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I think this makes sense for someone like Bentil, who is probably a second rounder now. A few good moments at the combine could alter things. A lot of players can submit their names and won't get invited very far.
Martin and Matthews may get a sense of where the NBA sees them.
0 x