Hurley is staying

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Hurley is staying

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

And his wife loves it here. Don't underestimate that factor.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

hrstrat57 wrote:If we believe what we have heard Dan left $12m on the table. He had commitments for things he will never get here as well in hand. He passed up an opportunity to be a living legend in his home state and to move into the top 10 moneymaker list for his profession.

You can like him or not but that my friends is keeping a promise.

That is integrity.

I know if I played for this guy I'd dive for every loose ball and step in front of the biggest/fastest power forward to take a charge. All day.....

IMHO this is rare indeed in today's greedy, take the money and run world.

Get out that game tape fix the mistakes from the past season and let's go! I'm all in.

Well played Dan - well done indeed!

HEAR HEAR
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Integrity off the charts! I'm so proud that he's our coach! He has to get us to the damn tournament, but either way he really has exemplary character.

You know he may not be that much at risk at jumping for another coaching job as we think. Do you think he'd really be that interested/comfortable coaching outside of the northeast? Outside his stomping grounds? He may not be much at risk for leaving unless some other northeast team asks for his services. In that case, after Rutgers, who would look to be needing another coach anytime soon up north?? He definitely wouldn't go to BC. Seton Hall, Cuse, PC and Uconn are set for a while. St Johns and Rutgers won't be needing another coach for at least three years.
Or he might want to go any of the power five schools if they offer him right.
I'm just thinking there might be a chance he won't be leaving for a little while longer than some may think.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

thank you coach Hurley !
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Hoosiers, ATP, and "the old man" - Coach stays!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Just got home. Good news1

Now let's get in the Dance......
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

DAN'S THE MAN!

GO RHODY!
0 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

"Let's not make it seem like he was never going to leave no matter what, now..."

Not sure if you're directing that at my comments in particular, but if you are, I never insinuated that. My gut told me his was staying, and in this instance my gut was correct. It very well could've been wrong.

"It might feel good to say so, but I don't think the decision to stay was made only out of some moral obligation to stay...just like I don't think when he leaves it will reflect on any lack of morals either.[/quote]"

Again, not sure if you are directing that at my comments, but in the event you are...I never said his decision was made only on some moral obligation to stay. I stated that "whatever" factors played into his decision to stay, and that I was of the OPINION his morals had a big part.

Certainly not looking to get into a lengthy back and forth with you here, just want to make sure my comments aren't being taken out of context. Cause that never happens on here. :shock:
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

He probably didn't like the Rutgers offer and situation.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Friarrosie, my pc nitwit friend maybe he just wanted to stay at URI!

GO RHODY!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Ramblinrose wrote:Great news. Love to see us rebound next year. Wonder what URI is giving him.
Could it be his assistants that benefit this time?
Assistants were beneficiaries of each of Hurley's prior contractural amendments.

The first amendment in April 2013 to Hurley's contract made no change to his compensation and only added program level enhancements to compete with other A10 contenders.
Training table.
Increased assistant salary pool, 4 air charters (they weren't chartering before).
Improved position for negotiating apparel contract.
Team office renovation. New strength and conditioning staff member.

The second amendment from a year ago included an escalating salary increase to get in line with the top half of the conference.

However it also included new protections for the program in terms of a buyout provision as well as better provisions for the university to limit without-cause termination payouts.

Also included was a new modest $25k bonus for his staff which he can deliver at his discretion.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I don't think the timing to leave was right for Hurley now. I think this past tough season had a lot to do with it. I think Hurley would have felt he abandoned his players (especially EC and Hassan) at an important time. He sold them a bill of goods and has yet to deliver for them. I think he really wants to get them to the tournament for all the hard work they have put in and repay them for placing their trust in him. I also think Dan's mental state took a beating this year. I do not think it would be good for his physical and mental health to immediately follow the 2015-16 season with a couple of more bad years. I am sure Andrea and the kids didn't want a repeat.

I think it is clear that Dan does have a wandering eye and will not stay here forever. Coaches love the attention when another school wants them as it feeds their ego. I think if Dan has some success and is able to recharge his batteries and be in a good frame of mind, he would be open to leaving provided it was a good situation.
0 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

rodfromcranston wrote:Geez, I wonder how that PC guy who had such inside
information on all of this, and said Hurley was definitely gone,
thinks now?
Now, it would be really nice if Dan could beat them finally.

I'm not sure if you are referring to me, since I did have a number of posts on the Friars site about the Rutgers offer. If you read my comments, I said that I had no idea whether or not he would leave, since all my info was from the Rutgers side. Also, everything I posted came out by media personnel with a day of my comments, and I have no doubt the info I posted was accurate. I also said I hoped he would stay because I think he will do well here, and college basketball is better around here when both teams are good. Finally, I believe Coach Hurley deserves a lot of credit for walking away from millions of dollars. FWIW, I was told he told Rutgers it was a combination of loyalty to his players and family considerations that made him turn down the offer. Hopefully, that will bode well for the future of basketball in the state to have both schools have quality coaches who stay for a while.
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

ramster wrote:
860_rhody wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Geez...I guess if it's been tweeted, it must be true....
Now what's everyone going to DO for the rest of the week?....
:lol: :lol:

the almighty tweet

Great News!
Great publicity for URI also. We are better off for it.
Hurley knows exactly what he is doing.
ATP - "we're not worthy"...................remind me next March to trust you :lol: :lol:

I agree. Publicity is important especially articles that say we are a potential top 25 team next year. We received a decent amount of preseason top 25 votes this year because of the attention Hurley draws/creates. How many A10 teams get top 25 votes when they didn't make the tournament the year before.

Hopefully next year at this time URI will be talked about because we're in the tournament.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ATPTourFan wrote:

wow...nice
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I thought that Dan's family didn't want to move again.

This confirms it.

Could mean that he'll be here for a while. All depends on what happens in the next couple of years, imo.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Happy wife, happy life

Someone mentioned it, don't discount the role it played here.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Also worth noting, Rothstein got the scoop.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:Happy wife, happy life

Someone mentioned it, don't discount the role it played here.
Maybe the truest statement ever....
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:Also worth noting, Rothstein got the scoop.
Yeah. Maybe 10 mins before all the regulars. Good to have national media friends.
rambone 78 wrote:I thought that Dan's family didn't want to move again.

This confirms it.

Could mean that he'll be here for a while. All depends on what happens in the next couple of years, imo.
As long as things go swimmingly, with NCAA appearances, Dan will finally be in the driver's seat to be selective about his next, and likely last, coaching job. He wants it to be a very good situation in all respects.

The "Just Say NO! to Rebuilds" policy was spot on from the very beginning of this process.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I could see the Georgetown job opening up at some point soon.
That could check a lot of boxes.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Who has gotten some of the other Hurley scoops over the years?

Kudos to ATP. You called it all the way.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Wasn't Iggy first to have the Baron firing?
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Whatever you may feel about Hurley's sideline antics, you have to admire his passion for coaching basketball and his enduring all the ups and downs that go with it. Beyond his coaching abilities, he is one helluva recruiter and the process he uses in recruiting is so unique in its thoroughness, effort and time allocation. It is the underlying reason why he has such devoted players and this admiration applies even to those recruits who choose not to come to URI or who are not offered a place on the URI roster.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Great point, Obes.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote:ATP BABY !!!

NEVER DOUBT !
Let the record show that another member of Keaney Blue dismissed earlier than anyone any threat of Dan leaving:
ace wrote:Leaving to go anywhere could not be more of a non-issue. There's a better chance I start at center next year for the Rams.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

BTW, Bill Koch updated his earlier piece with quotes from Dan and Thorr Bjorn. Definitely worth reading again for the direct quotes.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

He did consider it. It was a long shot, but it was real.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Sure, it was real. Rutgers gave him a proposal and Dan was impressed with Hobbs. The situation was not a match for this stage in Dan's career, I don't think.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:BTW, Bill Koch updated his earlier piece with quotes from Dan and Thorr Bjorn. Definitely worth reading again for the direct quotes.

Brilliant strategy. I like how he came back to the players and asked them if they were on board with him on his goals. Now he stays, they have committed to put forth the effort and they are not going to let each other down to achieve the goal. The players know Dan was highly sought after by a school from his home state that is a P5 school. Dan also put URI on the map and in the sports pages and shows right in the center of March Madness picking the Brackets and playing the games. Takes attention away from PC in the local sports news.
Brilliant psychology.
In the last month people thought he had blown his chances for another job in the near future yet here comes a 6 year $12M job where he is the number 1 choice.
Glad he's here.
Let's enjoy the ride.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I was told the dollars were increased to 14 for 6 years.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:I was told the dollars were increased to 14 for 6 years.
Wow. Clearly they very much wanted him.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Mr and Mrs Hurley weigh in on Dan's decision:

https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/n ... /167770208
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Bill Koch wrote:Hurley met with his players Monday and apprised them of the situation, gauging their appetite to play deep into March next season. Their reaction – particularly that of program cornerstones like E.C. Matthews and Hassan Martin – helped sway Hurley’s decision to remain at URI.
“I wanted to ask them if they wanted what I want, if they were willing to work as hard as it takes,” Hurley said. “I needed to hear from the guys on their commitment to raising our work ethic more and continuing to improve. That’s important to me.”
This gives interesting context to Hurley's coach's show on Monday night. Listening to it live, I really felt he had a focus and determination to his voice and his words, and I said as much in the thread talking about his radio show. Now knowing what that day was like for him and all that was going on, and thinking about what he said and about his headspace at that time, it's pretty cool. Might be worth another listen.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Gotta respect a guy that basically pushes all his chips to the center of the table with the roster he built. I don't think it was as clear cut a decision as many of you so it's refreshing to see someone stick it out.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Coaches leave behind the players they brought in all the time.

Most loyalty talk is just lip service.

Dan stuck to it, but like GBG said, I don't think that was the only or biggest reason he stayed.

Family was the biggest, plus there were probably things about the Rutgers situation he didn't like, especially since he's very familiar with them from his time there.

And yes, staying involves an element of risk, no matter what he says.

He's gambling on making the Dance. I hope he wins.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Any time you are being offered an 8-figure contract value there are going to be a lot of things in play with the decision.

Likely a little bit of a lot of things - one thing that is clear, he is not cut from the same cloth as most coaches. All coaches have families, all of them have a bond to the players they recruited and all feel like no mountain is too high.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Lonergan turned down Rutgers too.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Hadn't seen that in years. Lol. Yeah Murphy is going to gather dust as he waits for Hurley to leave. Which could be two years or five. No more drinking before noon.
0 x
GY=URI
Abdul Fox

Unread post by GY=URI »

Too many pink glasses on this board. I see Zero close game wins, I see point guard out of control driving into the trees. I see pick and rolls with no passes. I see dribble, dribble with 4 spectators, I see players on bench with little chance of development, I see time outs with no results, I see
subbing with no reasoning. I see very good players with no steering wheel.
I see too many empty seats. I do hope I am blind.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Lol they don't need to be pink, but you definitely need to put on some sort of glasses GY.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

GY=URI wrote:Too many pink glasses on this board. I see Zero close game wins, I see point guard out of control driving into the trees. I see pick and rolls with no passes. I see dribble, dribble with 4 spectators, I see players on bench with little chance of development, I see time outs with no results, I see
subbing with no reasoning. I see very good players with no steering wheel.
I see too many empty seats. I do hope I am blind.
Tell us more
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

LOL... I think GY has Rambone 2-way glasses...

If...PG is 'out of control'...there is 'dribble dribble..no passes' and '4 spectators'...who are the 'very good players'? Who's left?
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

pretty sure all 27 post he has are along the same lines
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

There is so much selling on the part of Hurley, the local media, the northeastern media, and like 8 people on this board. I hope next year when I show up for games they aren't frustrating because the team doesn't win. I won't explain to my dad again how if URI just did ______ or someday ______. Its old.

Holton started for a 3 seed today. I just don't know. Was there no keeping him? Was the early roster truly out of DH's hands in terms of the quality? They played a lot of close games and lost them. We thought it was because the kids weren't up to par.

If Nikola whatever his last name was played this year, would he have been considered better than Akele? if he didn't punch a wall?

I'm not convinced. Even DH being offered by Rutgers a top 10 salary? For what? That doesn't seem very true.

Feels more like a manufactured story. Dan Hurley asked his team if they were willing to put in the work to be better to make a decision? Does that seem weird? It does to me. I just don't like how that was packaged. This whole thing. It is going to be year 5.

I hope they have a great year ahead.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:There is so much selling on the part of Hurley, the local media, the northeastern media, and like 8 people on this board. I hope next year when I show up for games they aren't frustrating because the team doesn't win. I won't explain to my dad again how if URI just did ______ or someday ______. Its old.

Holton started for a 3 seed today. I just don't know. Was there no keeping him? Was the early roster truly out of DH's hands in terms of the quality? They played a lot of close games and lost them. We thought it was because the kids weren't up to par.

If Nikola whatever his last name was played this year, would he have been considered better than Akele? if he didn't punch a wall?

I'm not convinced. Even DH being offered by Rutgers a top 10 salary? For what? That doesn't seem very true.

Feels more like a manufactured story. Dan Hurley asked his team if they were willing to put in the work to be better to make a decision? Does that seem weird? It does to me. I just don't like how that was packaged. This whole thing. It is going to be year 5.

I hope they have a great year ahead.
All you can do at this point is...enjoy the NCAAT...get ready for C's/B's playoffs and get ready for America's pastime...and cheer on the Boston Red Sox... to carry through the summer and hopefully deep fall. As far as Rhody next season goes...no sense worryin' about that now ;)
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: Holton started for a 3 seed today. I just don't know. Was there no keeping him? Was the early roster truly out of DH's hands in terms of the quality? They played a lot of close games and lost them. We thought it was because the kids weren't up to par.
Holton was arrested for laptop theft and voyeurism. Let's not pretend we let him go. Also he had 0 chance of qualifying academically the next year
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE