2016 NCAA Tournament Game Discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: 2016 NCAA Tournament Game Discussion

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Out of 32 teams remaining, there are 14 mid majors left standing.

That's counting everyone from the BE, A10 on down.......

That's got to be a record.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Providence will again need a third scorer to stay with UNC, they got it the other night from Bullock and needed it to beat a mediocre USC. Pac 10 has proven to be very soft.

But when you have the best player on the court, in pretty much every game, anything is possible for PC.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

brady1 wrote:Awesome tournament!

I always root for the underdog. So I couldn't be having more fun.

Congrats to St.Joies the a-10 really needed that win. 2 out of 3, in 7-10 seed games is quite respectable for the league.

With URI's future extremely bright, in spite of the pc nitwit simpletons that crawl to our board from time to time, do I dare say here I'll be pulling for the pc flyers this evening. Strong URI RAM and pc flyer teams is actually good for both schools.

GO RHODY!

Could not agree more...go flyers
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm rooting for PC to lose by 50.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Interesting...I think a 'good' PC team is just as helpful to URI as having a 'strong conference'
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:I'm rooting for PC to lose by 50.
I hope PC scores zero points
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

PC may have the two best players on the court. Hate to say it, but, I think they could win tonight.

Does Holton get a gold watch?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

A most interesting matchup today is Utah vs Gonzaga

Two Sophomore Centers
Both likely going in this year's NBA Draft
Both could be Lottery Picks
NBA Scouts will be watching this matchup very closely

Poeltl is 7'1" 240 lb center from Austria for Utah vs Sabonis 6'10" 240 pound Center for Gonzaga whose father played for the Russia National Team.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

UConn getting slaughtered by Kansas.

That's your title favorite right there as of now.....

UConn has had poor 1st halves lately [except Temple] even though they've won those games.

But this might be just a tad too much to overcome tonight....
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Arvydas Sabonis was basically shot by the time he joined the NBA. In his prime, he was comparable to Bill Walton. Great shooter, rebounder and terrific passer.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ramblinrose wrote:Arvydas Sabonis was basically shot by the time he joined the NBA. In his prime, he was comparable to Bill Walton. Great shooter, rebounder and terrific passer.
HOFer
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:UConn getting slaughtered by Kansas.

That's your title favorite right there as of now.....

UConn has had poor 1st halves lately [except Temple] even though they've won those games.

But this might be just a tad too much to overcome tonight....
Huskies giving it a go....just a huge hole to climb out of....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Both Wichita St. and Yale came back from huge deficits today, just ran out of gas.

UConn likely will do the same....too much to ask but they don't quit that's for sure.

Imo they will be national title contenders next season, they've got a huge recruiting class coming in.

Just a totally different level for these top teams, than we're on....

We've got to make it next year, and get a decent matchup or two once we're there.

Well UConn came close to making it a game, but couldn't make enough shots.

That's one down. Now it's PC's turn, and I think they will be in their game until near the end, but get worn down by UNC's size. Tied late in the first half. UNC for all their talent, has the great equalizer on their bench, and that's their coach.
Last edited by rambone 78 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I keep trying to root for PC. I have about a dozen close friends and relatives that are alums and/or fans, and I'm telling them I'm rooting for PC. But deep down, I just can't do it. I honestly feel that if ISIS had a basketball team I would root for them against PC.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:I honestly feel that if ISIS had a basketball team I would root for them against PC.
This about sums up my feelings perfectly.

By the way, how does Bentil not go pro after this season? Will his stock ever get any higher? The guy has been crazy good.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Without Dunn to get him the ball, you're right Adam.

Go pro, BB!

Tonight, if Bentil stops trying to be a 3 pt. hero [1-6] and goes inside, PC has a chance to win that game.....hopefully not though
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

I'm at a very severe mental crossroad right now deciding if I'm rooting for PC or not...

I want to get excited for Rhode Island basketball doing well on the national stage, but every time I see Bentill I see him shoving Jarvis out of the way and scoring at the buzzer...

I think I'm still rooting for them though...
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Joe wrote:I'm at a very severe mental crossroad right now deciding if I'm rooting for PC or not...

I want to get excited for Rhode Island basketball doing well on the national stage, but every time I see Bentill I see him shoving Jarvis out of the way and scoring at the buzzer...

I think I'm still rooting for them though...
That's the spirit...it's good for all here when both teams are good.
I agree with the previous poster that said Bentil should go pro...can't see his stock getting any higher.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

208, if he's projected to be a 1st rounder, he could [and should] go.

Right now he's likely a 2nd round pick. Might depend on what happens tonight and beyond, if they win that is....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

heard mid to low 2nd...but can't see him improving his stock that much.
I'm guessing he goes...
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

Kris is officially Dunn.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

If they lose Bentil to the draft as well the fryaz will likely have a veeeery tough time next year.
Unless those other guys start making some shots for once.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

The Friars need to work more on their free throw defense. It worked against USC at the end and resulted in a Friar win. Not so good tonight.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They were totally outclassed in the 2nd half. Bentil went from 1 foul in the 1st half, to out in less than 10 minutes in the 2nd half. Dunn couldn't do it by himself.

The Friars were very fortunate to beat USC Thursday.

But Cooley now has an NCAA win, as shaky as it was.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Should be some entertaining games today.

Mid majors in every one.

How many advance? I'd guess 3-4.

ACC gets the brass ring this season. Could have 6 teams in the Sweet 16 by tonight.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

They can talk all they want about the new Big East, but that doesn't change the fact that the old version was awesome. In fact, nine teams in this year's dance had ties to the old BE and I am not including Butler and Xavier in that number.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYG 208. Please explain to me how PC doing well in the NCAA tournament benefits URI? This is a serious question. I don't think it does one bit. It gets more local fans to become PC fans and gets the media to ignore us even more. It might help PC recruit a kid that might have been considering both schools. If you want to argue that PC winning during the season helps us because of RPI crap and all, I get it. But why does PC winning now help us at all?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Don't you all know that PC is a hockey school? It is the sport where they have reached their greatest success and the sport which best matches their student demographics. It is also the most popular sport that is actually played on its campus.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The more success PC has in the NCAA Tournament the stronger their story becomes to future recruits. We recruit against PC for the same player from time to time.

The less successful PC is the better for URI recruiting.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

PC couldn't find a third scorer besides Dunn and Bentil, their kryptonite all year.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:The more success PC has in the NCAA Tournament the stronger their story becomes to future recruits. We recruit against PC for the same player from time to time.

The less successful PC is the better for URI recruiting.
That was one of my points, besides the luring of the casual local basketball fan towards PC rather than URI when the buzz is all about PC at the moment and even more media exposure than they usually get and even less for us, another plus for recruiting for PC.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And the fact that I hate that effin program.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

My opinion is that section208 is a great sports fan.....he follows Rhody because his child is here.....he likes other college teams and many local pro teams.....maybe he dislikes the Pats due to his affinity for the NY Giants...maybe it is in the Giants best interests that the Pats are so good....as a sports fan it is in his best interests that pc is also good....

....most of our members here are not good sports fans....I am not a good sports fan...I am a bad sports fan....when my team is out so am I....when the A-10 teams are out of the tournament....I am out.....I have no interest in seeing villanova or xavier get to the sweet sixteen since it is better when the big east and the A-10 are both good....

.....it is better when the Rams are very good and the friars are 6-24....it is better when the Rams beat the friars.....I am a URI alum and sports fan.....I don't care about another conference and their teams......

The state of the strength of our conference has a direct correlation to the sustained success of the URI Rams.....the strength of any college not in our conference is detrimental.....not more important for our success....

There.....but I do appreciate section208's love for sports in general.....seems like a nice person....I am not....I'm a Ram fan....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Can St Joe's knock out 1-seed Oregon? The last of the PAC12 remaining teams?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

First, I have two kids here and will be a fan long after they've left. I love college hoops, it's the only sport with multiple teams that I really like. Just my opinion, but...I think good, high level rival competition is more fun to watch/follow and is better for everyone. I think, if URI was 'much better than PC'...for many consecutive years, there would be some on this board, eventually, that would be swayed to say 'it would be good if PC was competitive.' (Not overnight...but, eventually...it's way more fun to beat good teams, especially when you have confidence that it will happen).

When you have the upper hand (obv, URI doesn't right now)...you want your rival to be good - until then, a lot of jealousy and schadenfreude at play. When the time comes, it's way more fun to beat them when they're good than when they're not. Everyone wants to beat PC...but being ranked and beating a ranked PC team would be way more fun than beating an unranked PC team.

Not sure it's necessary to classify fans as good or bad fans - as much as this board seems to love to do so. I'm a season ticket holder that made several road trips this year, and probably will next year, too. But, I don't don't consider myself any more of a 'good' fan than those who aren't able to support the program the same way. And, I don't consider myself any more of a 'bad' fan for wanting their rival to be competitive. The team needs all the fans they can get and seems pointless to label any as good or bad.

I also like it when the Patriots are good...because, when it's counted...the Giants seem to get the job done. ;) But, when the Giants are out/done for the year, so am I, same with the Red Sox...and, I don't think that makes me a good or bad fan.

Understood different people feel differently...that's just my opinion...
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RF1 wrote:Don't you all know that PC is a hockey school? It is the sport where they have reached their greatest success and the sport which best matches their student demographics. It is also the most popular sport that is actually played on its campus.
I went to PC's first Hockey East playoff game and was embarrassed for PC. Their arena was totally taken over by Merrimack College. Not a real school like BC, BU, or UNH. Merrimack. All the chanting and noise came from about 75 Merrimack fans and anytime the PC fans tried to get anything going they were shouted down by the Merrimack fans chanting we can't hear you. Merrimack. At defending champion, #4 in the nation PC.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

PC bows out early in the NCAAT. Couldn't say I give a rats ass. Shows that having a lottery pick on your team MAY get you to the tournament, but the depth of the team is what counts. Food for thought.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
RF1 wrote:Don't you all know that PC is a hockey school? It is the sport where they have reached their greatest success and the sport which best matches their student demographics. It is also the most popular sport that is actually played on its campus.
I went to PC's first Hockey East playoff game and was embarrassed for PC. Their arena was totally taken over by Merrimack College. Not a real school like BC, BU, or UNH. Merrimack. All the chanting and noise came from about 75 Merrimack fans and anytime the PC fans tried to get anything going they were shouted down by the Merrimack fans chanting we can't hear you. Merrimack. At defending champion, #4 in the nation PC.
PC is a basketball school first. PC was playing Nova in the BET at the same time as the HE Game 1.
Due to years of futility, PC has a relatively small fan base for hockey that has grown rapidly in recent years but still lags considerably behind basketball and the other hockey-first schools.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Billyboy. URI doesn't get the casual basketball fans. Most URI fans are alums, students, South County residents, University employees.
I'm 60 and have never seen more buzz over PC as now ... social media being a huge factor. URI created a lot of buzz in Harrick's time. We were going big time then, with the best HS player in the nation here. We know what happened after that. I want URI to be relevant again. Frankly, it's a small audience that cares. Seventeen seasons and no dance will do that.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

VCU nice comeback. Trying to steal one.

friarrosie give it a rest, I felt bad for your poor friars. They make the tourney and people cared much more about Hurley/rutgers than the pc flyers.

Nowadays in the DANCE unless you win couple game there is no buzz at all, you're done go home.

Your program will get some buzz if fast eddie talks to pitt.

GO RHODY!
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

VCU making some critical mistakes and missing some big free throws
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Ramblinrose wrote:Billyboy. URI doesn't get the casual basketball fans. Most URI fans are alums, students, South County residents, University employees.
I'm 60 and have never seen more buzz over PC as now ... social media being a huge factor. URI created a lot of buzz in Harrick's time. We were going big time then, with the best HS player in the nation here. We know what happened after that. I want URI to be relevant again. Frankly, it's a small audience that cares. Seventeen seasons and no dance will do that.
No offense, Ramblin, but save the social media nonsense for what it is: virtual reality. For the really tangible, palpable excitement that PC generated -- not just in Rhode Island -- not just New England, but beyond -- you can't compare anything to what the Ernie D.-Marvin Barnes Final Four squad generated.
Believe me, I made thousands scalping their tickets at the side doors of the Civic Center....Not bad dough for a younger teenager back then.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

^ and that excitement was palpable enough to cause a buzz up in ME, where I grew up.

Speaking of buzz...
"Nowadays in the DANCE unless you win couple game there is no buzz at all, you're done go home."

Huh? I'm thinking when Rhody makes the NCAAT, there will be such a buzz around here that my wife will be asking me to check the attic for bees....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

One of the biggest choke jobs I've ever seen.

Northern Iowa with a 12 pt. lead with 34 seconds left, proceeds to gag away the entire lead, and now in OT.

Like 4 turnovers with almost no time elapsed after made Texas A@M baskets. Almost impossible, but they did it.

14 points in 30 seconds. And only one 3 pointer. Amazing. I would be shocked if UNI wins that game now.

They scored SIX times in 30 seconds.
Last edited by rambone 78 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

If you thought we had trouble with getting the ball inbounds in pressure situations you should have seen the final minute of regulation in the Northern Iowa-Texas A&M game. UNI lost an 11 point lead because they couldn't get the ball inbounds well.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we ever do that, there would be a bridge jumping contest involving many members of this board.

Seen some amazing things in this tournament. This is the topper so far.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

you don't see too many OT periods end with a 60 footer by each team....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

And the mighty BE's Xavier goes bye bye with 1 second left. Two late 3's did them in.

Wow.

And UNI finished off their choke job, losing in the 2nd OT.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Rambone, we've had our bridge jumping moment. I couldn't shake the numbness for a week.
I tend to feel bad for teams, particularly underdogs, that go down like Northern Iowa did.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

I don't see how PC being good helps URI at all, unless URI beats PC head to head. A rising tide doesn't lift all boats. Giants fan, your team hasn't made the playoffs in five years.
0 x