OT Rutger's Mike Rice Suspended and Fined.. and Now FIRED!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

OT Rutger's Mike Rice Suspended and Fined.. and Now FIRED!

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

"PISCATAWAY, N.J. -- Rutgers basketball coach Mike Rice has been suspended three games without pay and fined $50,000 for a violation of athletic department policy, the school announced Thursday.

The suspension is related to inappropriate behavior and language, and does not involve any NCAA violations"

Must be channelling his inner Fran Frischilla.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Re: OT Rutger's Mike Rice Suspended and Fined

Unread post by Brutus »

Friggin' B1G institutions. :D
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Wonder if this is one reason why Gilvydas left.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Don't think so. He was one of Rice's favorite players. Biruta had wanted to de-commit when the previous coach was fired but was talked into staying and playing for Rice.

The players that have been quoted so far don't seem to understand why this suspension/fine happened.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Supposedly it was for throwing basketballs at players heads.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Say it aint so Mike Rice !!!!
0 x
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

Serious question to URI fans, does this Rice story bother you in any way? What if this incident causes him to be fired would Hurley be a logical replacement in Rutgers mind? I know Hurley's record this season isn't very impressive but in his short time at Rhody he has proven his recruiting ability and that is the name of the game.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Brutus wrote:Serious question to URI fans, does this Rice story bother you in any way? What if this incident causes him to be fired would Hurley be a logical replacement in Rutgers mind? I know Hurley's record this season isn't very impressive but in his short time at Rhody he has proven his recruiting ability and that is the name of the game.
I doubt Rutgers is going to want to buy out two years of Hurley's contract when he's probably going to coach URI to somewhere between 5 and 10 wins this year. Rutgers is probably in the top 50, top 75 jobs in the country because of their conference, so if they did want to make a coaching change, I imagine they go with someone who's winning at a mid-major. (Also, I imagine that the Hurleys aren't the only connected people when it comes to the NJ and NY basketball scene.)
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Brutus wrote:Serious question to URI fans, does this Rice story bother you in any way? What if this incident causes him to be fired would Hurley be a logical replacement in Rutgers mind? I know Hurley's record this season isn't very impressive but in his short time at Rhody he has proven his recruiting ability and that is the name of the game.
No.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Rice isn't going anywhere. Good young coach; great recruiter
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I don't see him going back to Rutgers.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Thought never even crossed my mind, to be honest.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

When Biruta transferred, alot of the Rutgers fans were saying Biruta was the biggest target of Rice's yelling.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Brutus stirring the shit, as usual.
Rutgers, where coaches go to die.
Never did anything in the A-10.
Never did anything in the Big East.
Won't do anything in the Big 10.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

ace wrote:
I don't see him going back to Rutgers.
I agree. I think he has his sights set higher. He won't be at Rhody for more than 3-4 years, maybe less if Rhody is left out in the realignment cold. I think he waits for a Villanova, G'Town type to open up. Close enough to get all the St. B, St. A's, elite kids but at top 25 job. I even think he would go back to Seton Hall. It's always been a sleeping giant. You can get to a dozen monster high schools hoops High Schools within 20 minutes and he would be welcomed into each one.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

another guy who can predict the future. nothing in the hurley pedigree indicates that he has his eyes set on Gtown or Nova.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

TP was right to label him as not a URI fan.
Every post is doom and gloom.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Didn't Ed Cooley state that it was his dream to coach in one of the best conferences? If so, he must surely be disappointed in how his employer is downgrading. I wonder if he would like to coach in one of the super leagues? The Big Ten? Rutgers?
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rodfromcranston wrote:TP was right to label him as not a URI fan.
Every post is doom and gloom.
Earlier in the week, I said there was zero chance a 20 team A-10+BE7 was even close to a realistic situation, no matter what ESPN was reporting. It's called reality. Now, reality is playing out. If you watch college hoops long enough, you know these guys don't have middle of the road A-10 job (now worse with X, etc. leaving) as their final destination. It's just the reality of how these guys operate. Add that on top of his unique NJ resume and being Bobby Hurley's kid, it's a pretty good guess that he won't be here in four years. If you want to call that doom and gloom, that's is fine. I don't know the future but if you had to choose between DH being here in 2016-17 or not and your house was on the line, you'd probably pick not. You can label me anything you like. Fine by me.
0 x
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

RF1 wrote:Didn't Ed Cooley state that it was his dream to coach in one of the best conferences? If so, he must surely be disappointed in how his employer is downgrading. I wonder if he would like to coach in one of the super leagues? The Big Ten? Rutgers?
Imagine RF1, 4 programs in the A10 want to join the "down graded conference".
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

imagine the guys who shit on the A10 for 20 years now touting how amazing those same programs now are.....comical.

you can shine it up however you want, but you lost more than you gained. so will we most likely, but please stop pretending that the new BE will be anything like the old BE.
0 x
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

bigappleram wrote:imagine the guys who shit on the A10 for 20 years now touting how amazing those same programs now are.....comical.

you can shine it up however you want, but you lost more than you gained. so will we most likely, but please stop pretending that the new BE will be anything like the old BE.
I'm not pretending BAR. I can more than live with the new conference and where it will stand in the scheme of things. The question is can you live with what's about to happen to the A10, and the subsequent step down the ladder?

BTW I don't say this with any malice, but with what the A10's reality is going to be.
0 x
iBall
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by iBall »

Is it just me or does Brutus sound like that Gandys Fantasy guy

Sure does spend alot of time on this board
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Mike Rice Sr. was a lunatic. Sounds like the apple didn't fall far from the tree.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Just PC trolls saying, "nyah! nyah! Hyah!" like my toddler grandkids do.
Under the guise of reality, they're taking shots left and right at us.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Brutus wrote:
RF1 wrote:Didn't Ed Cooley state that it was his dream to coach in one of the best conferences? If so, he must surely be disappointed in how his employer is downgrading. I wonder if he would like to coach in one of the super leagues? The Big Ten? Rutgers?

For those four schools, it isn't a downgrade. For the 7 Big East CYO schools, it is a big downgrade from what they have been used to. Welcome to the world outside a power conference. Reality is about to smack you in the face.
0 x
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

RF1 wrote:
Brutus wrote:

For those four schools, it isn't a downgrade. For the 7 Big East CYO schools, it is a big downgrade from what they have been used to. Welcome to the world outside a power conference. Reality is about to smack you in the face.
I'm just happy URI fans are going to get what they wished for (i.e. the end of the Big East). Be careful what you wish for.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

If I were you; I wouldn't wonder about coaches who would be courted by Rutgers. DH hasn't even coached an A-10 game and he's already the darling of the message boards over there .

For the record, I don't think it's a good fit.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

already an article in the ny post today stating Rice was on the hot seat but they were still committed to him. seems like he's on strike 2 of a 3 strike rule.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

So Doug "Take it to the Bank" Graber is our Brutus ....

Rutgers fans are delusional....
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Rhody74 wrote:
So Doug "Take it to the Bank" Graber is our Brutus ....

Rutgers fans are delusional....
I agree
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Rutgers, where coaches go to die.
A nothing program that hasn't done a thing in the A-10.
didn't do anything in the Big East,
and will be looking up at Northwestern in the Big Ten.
Except for a couple of years in the 70's zero tradition.
An underground arena in the middle of nothing, far off campus.
Yup, I'm sure Hurley is burning up the phone lines and
packing his bags, right now!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Ridiculous.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If the Rutgers job had been available at the right time, say when he took the job at URI, I imagine that situation would have been very interesting to Hurley. But it wasn't, so nothing to see here, move along.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If and when Hurley leaves, it will be for a big time job.

Not in the new BE, or whatever they will call it.

It would be too small a move up.

P.S. Brutal, the A10 will end up just fine after whatever schools leave. They will do what's needed to replace them with quality programs. They aren't just going to sit idly by and do nothing.

The new A10, will be just about as good as your fantasy land conference, with the possible exception of the bottom A10 teams. I do hope the A10 finds a way to move them out.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

rambone 78 wrote:If and when Hurley leaves, it will be for a big time job.

Not in the new BE, or whatever they will call it.

It would be too small a move up.

P.S. Brutal, the A10 will end up just fine after whatever schools leave. They will do what's needed to replace them with quality programs. They aren't just going to sit idly by and do nothing.

The new A10, will be just about as good as your fantasy land conference, with the possible exception of the bottom A10 teams. I do hope the A10 finds a way to move them out.
Rutgers is going to the Big 10 not the new C7 but I agree with Rod If he were to go to Rutgers it would be a major mistake. Actually I do not even think Rice will be fired he has not been given enough time. The fans at Rutgers are the most unreasonable sports fans in the world if you went on their message board you would think they they must have all this tradition but I believe they are the only big east team other then possibly depaul who has not been in the league as long to never make it to the ncaa
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Totally agreed after reading their message board. Craziness. They're the Fordham of the Big East!
0 x
El Diablo
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by El Diablo »

I have no idea how a URI fan couldn't be atleast a bit concerned about Rice on the hot seat at RU...
Rutgers will be a very attractive job, and I'm sure Hurley will be looking to get out of a depleted A-10 conference ASAP.

Talk about delusional......
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

El Diablo wrote:I have no idea how a URI fan couldn't be atleast a bit concerned about Rice on the hot seat at RU...
Rutgers will be a very attractive job, and I'm sure Hurley will be looking to get out of a depleted A-10 conference ASAP.

Not so veiled attempt at trolling eh Diablo? As a Rhody fan I am concerned about any power conference team that will pursue Hurley. My heart says Hurley will be URI's Brad Stevens or Shaka Smart, my head says we are a stepping stone to a big time program. I hope my heart wins ha.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

El Diablo wrote:I have no idea how a URI fan couldn't be atleast a bit concerned about Rice on the hot seat at RU...

Because while Rutgers is a step up and Hurley is a Jersey guy, he also probably knows that it is a traditionally a sinkhole job. Maybe he wants the challenge, but he's also probably confident enough that when he jumps, it's for a job that's a great situation. For similar reasons, I think if Brad Stevens ever leaves Butler, it's for a ridiculously elite job like Kansas, Duke, Michigan State, etc. I'm not saying Hurley is holding out for a similar situation, but I also don't think he's Travis Ford or of that ilk, and ready to jump at the very first power conference job that comes his way.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Being a "very attractive job", it might even entice Cooley to step up.
0 x
El Diablo
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by El Diablo »

Cooley to RU wouldn't make much sense to me and, unlike Hurley at URI, I would not be surprised if Cooley is the head man at PC for a long while.

I'm not saying I think Hurley will get the job at RU, He may have to win some games at URI before he moves up anywhere. I'd say there is an outside chance it happens, at this point, and of course Rice still has to fail the goal of making a post-season tourny this year.
But, if a school were to pick up Hurley at this point in his career it would be RU or SHU...and he would jump at the oppurtunity in a second.

If Rice gets canned, i don't see how you guys couldn't be at least a bit concerned.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think Cools is at PC a long while, at least 7 yrs or maybe longer if he wins there
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I have no idea how a PC fan couldn't be at least very much concerned that they will no longer have the excuse of being in a premier conference when they finish at the bottom of the standings every single year.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Gotta love the stupidity of the logic that says,
"Cooley will be at PC forever, and Hurley will be on the
first plane out of town, as soon as anything opens up."
If anyone thinks giving a coach an extension, guarantees he stays put,
THAT'S delusional!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

these morons, the guy is 10 games into his first season and they want us to be afraid he is going to jump at the Rutgers job that isnt even available.

go away trolls
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Here's an interesting article about guys like Mark Few and Jim Valvano, who turned down
big money to go elsewhere, and some who followed the money and were ruined by their decision.
I love Valvano's line, "YOU DON'T MESS WITH HAPPY!"

Coaches Who Chase the Dollar Become Gamblers
Wednesday, March 24th, 2010

"As I’ve told my former colleague (we were members of the University of Oregon staff in 1975-76), Jim Haney, currently the executive director of the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC), one of the biggest problems in college basketball today is coaches make too much money. (See my blog from way back - 11/28/07). I’m not saying this because I am bitter because I coached at a time when coaches’ salaries were lower because I’m perfectly happy with what I’m doing - and with what I did - and what I made (OK, sure, who couldn’t use a few extra bucks)?

I can’t think of anybody who got into coaching when I did (the early ’70s) who did so because they wanted to make a ton of money - because there wasn’t any. Not that we were pure as the driven snow. There were a great many who entered the profession for the “glamor” of the job. But most guys wanted to be a college coach because we wanted to do just that - coach.

Don’t get me wrong. Coaches in that era were upwardly mobile too, but the moves were usually made because a bigger job gave the coach a better chance to get into or advance further in the NCAA Tournament, maybe win it all. Today, the almighty dollar has become, possibly, the greater reason for changing employers. Which the same reason professional players don’t stay with teams like they used to.

The major problem with chasing the buck is guys leave their comfort zones. Exhibit A: Todd Lickliter is an alum of Butler University. After coaching at the high school ranks, he eventually became an assistant at his alma mater, rising to the head coaching job in 2001. Success was immediate (granted, he took over a solid program, but he was a major reason it was solid) and in six years he won three league championships, went to the postseason four of those years and compiled an overall record of 131-61. He won 53 games in his first two years, third best mark for any coach in his first two years.

He left to take the job at Iowa, replacing Steve Alford, another coach who had great success at Manchester College and Southwest Missouri State - where he went 74-48 and got to a Sweet Sixteen. Iowa lured him with a big contract, only to show him the door eight years later. Maybe because Lickliter’s name didn’t carry the cachet that Alford’s did, he was pink-slipped after only three years. Alford resurfaced at New Mexico and has found success. Lickliter is 54 years old and looking for a job, a good coach at a tough age.

It also happened to Jerry Wainwright who had great success at the University of North Carolina-Wilmington, after being an assistant at Wake Forest. He moved to Richmond where he won, but not as much. It was hard to blame Jerry, as fine an individual and as tough a guy (he nearly died in a car accident, but came back stronger than ever) as you’ll find, for taking the DePaul job (he’s a native of Chicago). He lost his job this year - not because he forgot how to coach, but mainly because DePaul isn’t what it was when Ray Meyer was there. It’s just that the people at DePaul don’t want to face reality.

The “show me the money” game nearly did in Dan Monson, who inherited the Gonzaga job from the late Dan Fitzgerald, took it to never-before-been-experienced-heights, only to bolt for the mega-cash at Minnesota. He got the boot at UM and, after a brief hiatus, wound up at Long Beach State - while his assistant at Gonzaga, Mark Few, elevated the Zag program even higher. Possibly due to what he saw happen to his friend, Mons, Few has stayed in Spokane despite being wooed year after year.

I’ve used it before but the most poignant quote regarding changing jobs came from Jim Valvano (who himself moved from Johns Hopkins to Bucknell to Iona to NC State). He’d mention this to every coach who asked him about whether or not to move from one job to another. His only question to the coach was, “Are you happy?” Most would reply in the affirmative. His response was:

“Don’t mess with happy.”
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Truth - no one on this forum really knows what these coaches think.
.....Providence is Cooley's dream job, so far....
.....We will know what Hurley thinks when he buys a home here. It will take a while for his salary to really kick in, and he feels secure to make a move, if he wants. 'Till then, just speculation.

On Mike Rice - Not at all surprised by his suspension. My son and I were at a Quinnipiac - Robert Morris game in Hamden four years ago. I had seats three rows behind the RM bench. Both of us thought it was a strong possibility that he would be arrested for assault some day. His behavior toward his players and staff was brutal. Verbally abusive, physically abusive, looked like a maniac.......Bob Knight was a "lamb" by comparison. I was fortunate to have played in H.S. and at Quinnipiac for some really good coaches, but never saw anything like what we had just witnessed.
0 x