Selection Sunday and Conference Tournament Updates

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Selection Sunday and Conference Tournament Updates

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote:More importantly, did Dickie V go on a rant about this? :P

He usually does for someone who's left out, usually a mid major.
Not only did he go on a rant, he said, "And, I got confirmation from rambone, who knows and few others understand...that this was an injustice".
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Not that it's worth my breath but did Mississippi just get into the NIT with a 96 RPI.

Does URI have any interest in THE VEGAS 16?

GO RHODY!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

brady, if URI had beaten Fordham and UMass they might have gotten a bid....but no
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

St Bonaventure's resume is nothing special. Monmouth had a better one. They got totally screwed. So did St Mary's with 27 wins. It's really tough on the best teams in the one-bid conferences. Hell Wichita State almost didn't get in which is totally crazy. I think the A10 got treated fairly this year.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

brady1 wrote:Not that it's worth my breath but did Mississippi just get into the NIT with a 96 RPI.

Does URI have any interest in THE VEGAS 16?

GO RHODY!
Brady,
They had to reduce from 16 to 8 teams - you can't make this stuff up :D :D
http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/bas ... up-8-teams
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Here is a good read on the St. Bonaventure snub:

http://m.oleantimesherald.com/sports/bo ... l?mode=jqm
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Am just curious...how did St B numbers (RPI, BPI, vs Top __, etc) look compared to URI's last year?
Thinking they were obviously better...but by how much?
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

RF1 wrote:Here is a good read on the St. Bonaventure snub:

” Saint Joe’s Phil Martelli took particular aim, saying, in part: “What the committee did to St. Bonaventure, that was a disgrace. What they did to those kids is borderline criminal.”

Aw, Phil. Thanks for the support of the Bonnies. It seems eerily familiar to your response about the Rams a few years back. Phil Martelli. What a guy.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Bonnies deserved to be in. Rhody did not that year when he made the statement you reference.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

There is no justification for the Bonnies snub, especially considering the Tulsa invite.

But the Bonnies situation does point out the importance of getting your OOC schedule correct and to spend the money to do so. The first mistake the Bonnies made was not to schedule 13 OOC games. This move required SBU to spend the money to get into an exempt tournament which would have given them two extra games. A second mistake was to develop a weak OOC schedule with a SOS ranking that was ninth in the conference. La Salle had a better SOS than the Bonnies as did URI. Their toughest OOC opponent by far was Syracuse, a game they lost. Their other two losses were not good, losing at Siena and on their home court to Hofstra. I still think they got screwed, but a better OOC may have avoided that bitter pill.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RAM67 wrote:

” Saint Joe’s Phil Martelli took particular aim, saying, in part: “What the committee did to St. Bonaventure, that was a disgrace. What they did to those kids is borderline criminal.”
So was what his team did to Jarvis Garrett and Kuran Iverson.

Then again, what's a concussion, lost teeth and a broken jaw among friends?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
RAM67 wrote:

So was what his team did to Jarvis Garrett and Kuran Iverson.

Then again, what's a concussion, lost teeth and a broken jaw among friends?
And the amazing thing it was a double hit to the head on Iverson. He was out cold before his head hit the floor. Hope we beat them by 30 next year. Ryan Center should sell out for that one.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bernadette McGlade interview with Chris Disano. So great to have her Commisssioner of the A10
He responses to the questions are so professional and intelligent. She gets her point across so well. I did not realize she headed up the selection committee for the women for two years. She has connections and respect from peers.

http://www.coxhub.com/articles/qa-with- ... ce=twitter
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

RAM67 wrote:

Aw, Phil. Thanks for the support of the Bonnies. It seems eerily familiar to your response about the Rams a few years back. Phil Martelli. What a guy.

I'm not rooting for SJU this week. First time I'm not cheering for an A10 team in the tourney.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I know nothing will ever come of this, but what the committee needs is more transparency.
I'm not sure an NCAA hockey-like system is feasible, but basically teams are seeded by a system called the pairwise.
Since the basketball field is roughly 6x the hockey field, the metric would have to be tweaked, but basically Pairwise tracks RPI, Record vs. Common Opponents, and Head-To-Head record.
The team that wins the most "comparisons" is ranked first, and onwards to last.
Pair-wise is the sole decision-maker on at-large teams in the hockey tournament, the only potential biases may exist in geographic placement but Pairwise seeds the teams.
It's valuable, teams know where they stand at all times, it's not a mystery heading up to the tournament selections.
Maybe pairwise in it's current form is not the answer, but there has to be a way that teams can have an idea what the selection committee is valuing.
Every year it seems to be something different - some committee's favor big schools, other's trend towards the little guys. It's madness every year to try to determine where the schools rank.
But I'll tell you what, if RPI is going to be the metric, and it's going to put a team in the field with an RPI over 40 spots lower than another, than it is not the right metric. It's like "Yeah, RPI is nice when it favors our argument, but in certain circumstances, it's on the eye test to tell us how good a team is."
Yeah, because that's a consistent approach.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Start with removing the names of all teams from the committee.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Aren't computers the only thing that can blindly pick?
Granted, the human component can pick a formula that favors one party of the other.
But if the formula spits out an output, that output is relatively free of human manipulation.
Some have suggested a formula that combines all major computer metrics - RPI, KenPom, BPI, Sagarin, etc.
I'm not necessarily a fan, it's just crazy some of the seeds and teams that ended up in the field this year.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Bonnies deserved to be in. Rhody did not that year when he made the statement you reference.
The point was not to compare our resume then, to the Bonnies this year, although they are very comparable, but Martelli not being able to give props to URI, which would have benefited the entire conference. Let's face it, we were a bubble team that year, and even if he didn't believe in us, no one would question him for trying to bolster the league's reputation. If you remember there was a lot of grumbling after he made the statement. I believe to this day that it was a put down. I know he pissed me off.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Phil Martelli has and had no bearing on any team getting into the tournament. It doesn't matter what he said or says about URI. The guy can coach and I hope St. Joe's wins. If you're a fan of the A-10 getting some national respect, then I would hope that you would root for them too.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

You obviously are missing the point as well. I never intimated that Phil Martelli had any bearing on who gets selected. But he does represent the A10, especially as the senior coach, and he should be pumping up every team regardless of who that may be. He may be a good coach but he's also a dick, who has never given URI any props.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Excellent comment RAM67.
0 x